Why is it so hard to do business with Dell

Last response: in Computer Brands
February 21, 2005 7:32:06 AM

Last Wednesday I ordered a Dell system through their online ordering system.
The system came to around $2400. During the checkout process I supplied my MC
number. Dell asks if there is a daily limit on the card. Of course, everyone
has a daily limit. Mine was $1500.

Assuming they asked what the limit was I simply figured they would break the
amount up and make two separate withdrawls. Yhey claim they don't access the
funds until they ship your PC. Apparently this is not true as within 3 hours I
received an email advisin me that the credit card comapny rejected
authorization.

I called the bank the next morning and was told Dell attempted to withdraw the
full amount. The failed authorization put my order on hold. So I called the
800 number listed in the email and told there was no problem with busting up
the amounts and doing two separate transactions. The fellow even told me how
much he was withdrawing at that moment and the balance the next day.

After waiting until Saturday and seeing no change in order status and no
activity in my bank account I called Dell to see what the problem was.

I was passed around to at least three people. None of them seemed to
understand what my problem was or how it could be rectified. Finally I got
ahold of one lady who understood, said there was no problem however she needed
to transfer me to another person. After 30 minutes of being on hold I
cancelled my order.

I then received an email from Dell asking me to reconsider and sine I was such
an esteemed customer they would provide me with a $90 coupon to use if I
reordered. They asured me this problem would be rectified if I reordered.

And so I did. ANd the same problem has occurred. I've tried all day to
straighten this simple matter out and no one at Dell has the intelligence to
handle this simple transaction.

Dell is a hi-tech company building hi-tech computers but can not handle a
lo-tech transaction? LOL!

The customer service I have received from Dell over the past few days is the
worst I have ever encountered. It's almost laughable. So screw Dell. I've
just cancelled the second order and tomorrow I'll head down to the store, buy a
case, a power supply a motherboard and all the extras and build my own.

I'll probably be better off anyway.

More about : hard business dell

Anonymous
February 21, 2005 7:32:07 AM

Consider yourself lucky. I had an order get into a weird status and it took
me over 20 hours on the phone speaking to I don't know how many people in
various depts. only to be told nobody could fix the problem because nobody
had access to all of the information. Seems it required a conference call
between 2-3 people in various depts. to get it cleared. Your situation
seems like a scenario they should deal with many times a day. Sounds like
sheer incompetence on their part.

"Art Vandolay" <av@linuxmail.org> wrote in message
> Last Wednesday I ordered a Dell system through their online ordering
system.
> The system came to around $2400. During the checkout process I supplied
my MC
> number. Dell asks if there is a daily limit on the card. Of course,
everyone
> has a daily limit. Mine was $1500.
>
> Assuming they asked what the limit was I simply figured they would break
the
> amount up and make two separate withdrawls. Yhey claim they don't access
the
> funds until they ship your PC. Apparently this is not true as within 3
hours I
> received an email advisin me that the credit card comapny rejected
> authorization.
>
> I called the bank the next morning and was told Dell attempted to withdraw
the
> full amount. The failed authorization put my order on hold. So I called
the
> 800 number listed in the email and told there was no problem with busting
up
> the amounts and doing two separate transactions. The fellow even told me
how
> much he was withdrawing at that moment and the balance the next day.
>
> After waiting until Saturday and seeing no change in order status and no
> activity in my bank account I called Dell to see what the problem was.
>
> I was passed around to at least three people. None of them seemed to
> understand what my problem was or how it could be rectified. Finally I
got
> ahold of one lady who understood, said there was no problem however she
needed
> to transfer me to another person. After 30 minutes of being on hold I
> cancelled my order.
>
> I then received an email from Dell asking me to reconsider and sine I was
such
> an esteemed customer they would provide me with a $90 coupon to use if I
> reordered. They asured me this problem would be rectified if I reordered.
>
> And so I did. ANd the same problem has occurred. I've tried all day to
> straighten this simple matter out and no one at Dell has the intelligence
> handle this simple transaction.
>
> Dell is a hi-tech company building hi-tech computers but can not handle a
> lo-tech transaction? LOL!
>
> The customer service I have received from Dell over the past few days is
the
> worst I have ever encountered. It's almost laughable. So screw Dell.
I've
> just cancelled the second order and tomorrow I'll head down to the store,
buy a
> case, a power supply a motherboard and all the extras and build my own.
>
> I'll probably be better off anyway.

February 21, 2005 7:32:07 AM

I know people who charge automobiles on their cards, it is your fault for
having the limit.

"Art Vandolay" <av@linuxmail.org> wrote in message
> Last Wednesday I ordered a Dell system through their online ordering
> system.
> The system came to around $2400. During the checkout process I supplied
> my MC
> number. Dell asks if there is a daily limit on the card. Of course,
> everyone
> has a daily limit. Mine was $1500.
>
> Assuming they asked what the limit was I simply figured they would break
> the
> amount up and make two separate withdrawls. Yhey claim they don't access
> the
> funds until they ship your PC. Apparently this is not true as within 3
> hours I
> received an email advisin me that the credit card comapny rejected
> authorization.
>
> I called the bank the next morning and was told Dell attempted to withdraw
> the
> full amount. The failed authorization put my order on hold. So I called
> the
> 800 number listed in the email and told there was no problem with busting
> up
> the amounts and doing two separate transactions. The fellow even told me
> how
> much he was withdrawing at that moment and the balance the next day.
>
> After waiting until Saturday and seeing no change in order status and no
> activity in my bank account I called Dell to see what the problem was.
>
> I was passed around to at least three people. None of them seemed to
> understand what my problem was or how it could be rectified. Finally I
> got
> ahold of one lady who understood, said there was no problem however she
> needed
> to transfer me to another person. After 30 minutes of being on hold I
> cancelled my order.
>
> I then received an email from Dell asking me to reconsider and sine I was
> such
> an esteemed customer they would provide me with a $90 coupon to use if I
> reordered. They asured me this problem would be rectified if I reordered.
>
> And so I did. ANd the same problem has occurred. I've tried all day to
> straighten this simple matter out and no one at Dell has the intelligence
> handle this simple transaction.
>
> Dell is a hi-tech company building hi-tech computers but can not handle a
> lo-tech transaction? LOL!
>
> The customer service I have received from Dell over the past few days is
> the
> worst I have ever encountered. It's almost laughable. So screw Dell.
> I've
> just cancelled the second order and tomorrow I'll head down to the store,
> buy a
> case, a power supply a motherboard and all the extras and build my own.
>
> I'll probably be better off anyway.

February 21, 2005 7:32:08 AM

BigJim wrote:

>I know people who charge automobiles on their cards, it is your fault for
>having the limit.

Note also that requesting authorization for payment is not the same as
charging the account.

>"Art Vandolay" <av@linuxmail.org> wrote in message
>

>>Last Wednesday I ordered a Dell system through their online ordering
>>system.
>>The system came to around $2400. During the checkout process I supplied
>>my MC
>>number. Dell asks if there is a daily limit on the card. Of course,
>>everyone
>>has a daily limit. Mine was $1500.
>>
>>Assuming they asked what the limit was I simply figured they would break
>>the
>>amount up and make two separate withdrawls. Yhey claim they don't access
>>the
>>funds until they ship your PC. Apparently this is not true as within 3
>>hours I
>>received an email advisin me that the credit card comapny rejected
>>authorization.
>>
>>I called the bank the next morning and was told Dell attempted to withdraw
>>the
>>full amount. The failed authorization put my order on hold. So I called
>>the
>>800 number listed in the email and told there was no problem with busting
>>up
>>the amounts and doing two separate transactions. The fellow even told me
>>how
>>much he was withdrawing at that moment and the balance the next day.
>>
>>After waiting until Saturday and seeing no change in order status and no
>>activity in my bank account I called Dell to see what the problem was.
>>
>>I was passed around to at least three people. None of them seemed to
>>understand what my problem was or how it could be rectified. Finally I
>>got
>>ahold of one lady who understood, said there was no problem however she
>>needed
>>to transfer me to another person. After 30 minutes of being on hold I
>>cancelled my order.
>>
>>I then received an email from Dell asking me to reconsider and sine I was
>>such
>>an esteemed customer they would provide me with a $90 coupon to use if I
>>reordered. They asured me this problem would be rectified if I reordered.
>>
>>And so I did. ANd the same problem has occurred. I've tried all day to
>>straighten this simple matter out and no one at Dell has the intelligence
>>handle this simple transaction.
>>
>>Dell is a hi-tech company building hi-tech computers but can not handle a
>>lo-tech transaction? LOL!
>>
>>The customer service I have received from Dell over the past few days is
>>the
>>worst I have ever encountered. It's almost laughable. So screw Dell.
>>I've
>>just cancelled the second order and tomorrow I'll head down to the store,
>>buy a
>>case, a power supply a motherboard and all the extras and build my own.
>>
>>I'll probably be better off anyway.

Anonymous
February 21, 2005 1:29:25 PM

I have never heard of a daily limit on a Master Card. I have no daily
limits on any of the cards I hold.

Regards,

Jerry Seinfeld.

"Art Vandolay" <av@linuxmail.org> wrote in message
> Last Wednesday I ordered a Dell system through their online ordering
> system.
> The system came to around $2400. During the checkout process I supplied
> my MC
> number. Dell asks if there is a daily limit on the card. Of course,
> everyone
> has a daily limit. Mine was $1500.
Anonymous
February 21, 2005 4:55:54 PM

The Dell online form was probably asking about this situation.
If you have placed a "fraud alert" on your card, the CC company will place a
dollar limit on the cards daily usage. If any attempt is made to exceed that
amount, you will have to contact them in person before it is approved. This
will also apply to any large single purchase.

> I have never heard of a daily limit on a Master Card. I have no daily
> limits on any of the cards I hold.
>
> Regards,
>
> Jerry Seinfeld.
>
> "Art Vandolay" <av@linuxmail.org> wrote in message
> > Last Wednesday I ordered a Dell system through their online ordering
> > system.
> > The system came to around $2400. During the checkout process I
supplied
> > my MC
> > number. Dell asks if there is a daily limit on the card. Of course,
> > everyone
> > has a daily limit. Mine was $1500.

Anonymous
February 21, 2005 7:08:29 PM

In article <I6fSd.8621$0v5.3300@fe07.lga>, zipitydudu@zipitydada.com says...

>Consider yourself lucky. I had an order get into a weird status and it took
>me over 20 hours on the phone speaking to I don't know how many people in
>various depts. only to be told nobody could fix the problem because nobody
>had access to all of the information. Seems it required a conference call
>between 2-3 people in various depts. to get it cleared. Your situation
>seems like a scenario they should deal with many times a day. Sounds like
>sheer incompetence on their part.

Yes, same problem, no one knows anything. You are transferred from one person
to the other. If their CS reps have to deviate from their prepared
scripts....it's a major glitch.

Well so much for their hi-tech online ordering system. As I previosuly stated
when submitting the order and utilizing a bank or debit card they
specifically ask if there is a daily limit on the account. Why certainly,
everyone has a daily limit. One would assume they ask this in order to split
the purchase price up and submit more than one withdrawl.

Apparently it is supposed to be done but the option isn't working. After
several hours and emails trying to straighten this matter out I got ahold of a
young lady this morning who straighted the entire matter out in less than a
minute and deducted 1/3 this morning and a 1/3 the next two days.

I explained the problem came from their online ordering. She advised me several
people had encountered this problem and apparently the option didn't work when
ordering. As you say, this probably happens to everyone who uses online
ordering. Yet they want you to contact the bank and straighen the matter out.
My bank won't raise limits over the phone you have to go to the branch and wait
to see a CS rep and that usually takes an hour or more. I wasn't about to do
it.

Seems Dell is creating much extra work and frustration for nothing.

Really it was quite a laughable situation over a very simple matter.
Anonymous
February 21, 2005 7:14:30 PM

In article <D-edncbpBPIOD4TfRVn-qA@comcast.com>, woody10277@hotmail.com says...

>I know people who charge automobiles on their cards, it is your fault for
>having the limit.

Hey moron, I have excellent credit and thousands in the bank. The bank set the
default limit when I opened the account. I very rarelyt use the debit card,
this is only maybe the 20th time in over a year with this bank.

I don't use credit cards, ever. I pay cash and haven't had to use a credit
card in over 15 years. It was a debit card. Do you understand the difference?

The default limit is placed in order to protect one from theft and limit
liability. Since the money is in the account there was no problem on my end.

Obviously you do not understand the option Dell provides on it's online
ordering. Turns out it's there for exactly the reason I stated, but apparently
it does not work. Go figure. Some hi-tech company. LOL!

Now go out and charge a meal at Burger King on your card and STFU.
February 21, 2005 7:14:31 PM

no credit card means bad credit that is why people don't use them.
You sound like a person who blames everyone else for your short comings.
A real pain in the ass.
"Linebacker" <linebacker@nolinuxmail.org> wrote in message

> In article <D-edncbpBPIOD4TfRVn-qA@comcast.com>, woody10277@hotmail.com
> says...
>>

>>I know people who charge automobiles on their cards, it is your fault for
>>having the limit.
>>

> Hey moron, I have excellent credit and thousands in the bank. The bank
> set the
> default limit when I opened the account. I very rarelyt use the debit
> card,
> this is only maybe the 20th time in over a year with this bank.
>

> I don't use credit cards, ever. I pay cash and haven't had to use a
> credit
> card in over 15 years. It was a debit card. Do you understand the
> difference?
>
> The default limit is placed in order to protect one from theft and limit
> liability. Since the money is in the account there was no problem on my
> end.
>
> Obviously you do not understand the option Dell provides on it's online
> ordering. Turns out it's there for exactly the reason I stated, but
> apparently
> it does not work. Go figure. Some hi-tech company. LOL!
>

> Now go out and charge a meal at Burger King on your card and STFU.

Anonymous
February 21, 2005 7:17:24 PM

In article <9KiSd.54951$iC4.12510@newssvr30.news.prodigy.com>,
nospam@hotmail.com says...

>I have never heard of a daily limit on a Master Card. I have no daily
>limits on any of the cards I hold.
>
>Regards,
>
>Jerry Seinfeld.
>
>"Art Vandolay" <av@linuxmail.org> wrote in message
>> Last Wednesday I ordered a Dell system through their online ordering
>> system.
>> The system came to around $2400. During the checkout process I supplied
>> my MC
>> number. Dell asks if there is a daily limit on the card. Of course,
>> everyone
>> has a daily limit. Mine was $1500.

BWAHAHA you have a limit! It's just higher then mine. Giddy-uP!
Anonymous
February 21, 2005 10:35:30 PM

On Mon, 21 Feb 2005 10:29:25 GMT, "WSZsr" <nospam@hotmail.com> wrote:

>I have never heard of a daily limit on a Master Card. I have no daily
>limits on any of the cards I hold.

Turns out the OP was using a Debit Card of all things!
--
Top 10 Conservative Idiots:
February 22, 2005 1:51:11 AM

In article <XTsSd.12858$fz6.7314@fe03.lga>, girlsrule@hotmail.com says...

>The Dell online form was probably asking about this situation.
>If you have placed a "fraud alert" on your card, the CC company will place a
>dollar limit on the cards daily usage. If any attempt is made to exceed that
>amount, you will have to contact them in person before it is approved. This
>will also apply to any large single purchase.

No maam, was told it was specifically there so they could break the charges up
and bill in separtate transactions. I was also told it isn't working
properly, there was a problem with it.

>"WSZsr" <nospam@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> I have never heard of a daily limit on a Master Card. I have no daily
>> limits on any of the cards I hold.
>>
>> Regards,
>>
>> Jerry Seinfeld.
>>
>> "Art Vandolay" <av@linuxmail.org> wrote in message
>> > Last Wednesday I ordered a Dell system through their online ordering
>> > system.
>> > The system came to around $2400. During the checkout process I
>supplied
>> > my MC
>> > number. Dell asks if there is a daily limit on the card. Of course,
>> > everyone
>> > has a daily limit. Mine was $1500.

Anonymous
February 22, 2005 1:51:12 AM

Interesting, we have ordered 3 computers on line, all paid via MasterCard,
all over $1500, and never experienced any thing like that.
Must be something new at Dell. Our last order was nearly two years ago,
though.

> In article <XTsSd.12858$fz6.7314@fe03.lga>, girlsrule@hotmail.com says...
> >

> >The Dell online form was probably asking about this situation.
> >If you have placed a "fraud alert" on your card, the CC company will
place a
> >dollar limit on the cards daily usage. If any attempt is made to exceed
that
> >amount, you will have to contact them in person before it is approved.
This
> >will also apply to any large single purchase.
>

> No maam, was told it was specifically there so they could break the
charges up
> and bill in separtate transactions. I was also told it isn't working
> properly, there was a problem with it.
>

> >"WSZsr" <nospam@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> >> I have never heard of a daily limit on a Master Card. I have no daily
> >> limits on any of the cards I hold.
> >>
> >> Regards,
> >>
> >> Jerry Seinfeld.
> >>
> >> "Art Vandolay" <av@linuxmail.org> wrote in message
> >supplied

February 22, 2005 1:57:51 AM

BigJIm wrote:
> no credit card means bad credit that is why people don't use them.
> You sound like a person who blames everyone else for your short comings.

Excuse me? I have an excellent credit rating, and I refuse to use credit
cards simply because of the business practices of the credit card
companies and issuing banks. Plus, I refuse to go into debt to buy
anything I can pay cash for.

You, sir, can kiss my hairy white ass.
Anonymous
February 22, 2005 2:11:25 AM

On Mon, 21 Feb 2005 15:12:26 -0800, Irene wrote:

> Interesting, we have ordered 3 computers on line, all paid via MasterCard,
> all over $1500, and never experienced any thing like that.
> Must be something new at Dell. Our last order was nearly two years ago,
> though.

I ordered more than $30,000 in computers on my Amex a couple months ago
and didn't have any problems.

I ordered more than $12,000 of a few computers last month and didn't have
any problem - I've never experienced a "daily" limit on any of my cards,
not even the debit cards.

--
spam999free@rrohio.com
remove 999 in order to email me

Like I said neither had we.

We even made a very large down payment on a car using our MasterCard. No
problem at all.

news:p an.2005.02.21.23.15.43.375045@nowhere.lan...
> On Mon, 21 Feb 2005 15:12:26 -0800, Irene wrote:
>
> > Interesting, we have ordered 3 computers on line, all paid via
MasterCard,
> > all over $1500, and never experienced any thing like that.
> > Must be something new at Dell. Our last order was nearly two years ago,
> > though.
>
> I ordered more than $30,000 in computers on my Amex a couple months ago
> and didn't have any problems.
>
> I ordered more than $12,000 of a few computers last month and didn't have
> any problem - I've never experienced a "daily" limit on any of my cards,
> not even the debit cards.
>
> --
> spam999free@rrohio.com
> remove 999 in order to email me

Anonymous
February 22, 2005 2:25:36 AM

On Mon, 21 Feb 2005 15:22:46 -0800, Irene wrote:

> Like I said neither had we.

I was just backing up your statement with my experience too.

--
spam999free@rrohio.com
remove 999 in order to email me
Anonymous
February 22, 2005 2:25:37 AM

Yes, I understood that.

news:p an.2005.02.21.23.29.53.959882@nowhere.lan...
> On Mon, 21 Feb 2005 15:22:46 -0800, Irene wrote:
>>
>> Like I said neither had we.
>
> I was just backing up your statement with my experience too.
>
> --
> spam999free@rrohio.com
> remove 999 in order to email me

Anonymous
February 22, 2005 6:40:52 AM

In article <G%tSd.12876$Py7.10447@fe03.lga>, girlsrule@hotmail.com says...

>Interesting, we have ordered 3 computers on line, all paid via MasterCard,
>all over $1500, and never experienced any thing like that.
>Must be something new at Dell. Our last order was nearly two years ago,
>though.

I've explained it all yet no one gets it. The problem is with their online
ordering and the option which one selcts a daily limit. This is to trigger
their billing department into breaking the transaction into amounts under the
daily limit and ,alking an additional withdrawl. The CS rep told me many
people were having this problem and the function appeared not to be working.

So for a hi-tech company why such a lo-tech problem which causes unneccesary
delay for the consumer? Seems to me they would rectify the situation and avoid
the calls to their CS dept. This was my entire point. A business, especially
one selling expensive merchandise should do everything in their power to avoid
any problems to the consumer and make online ordering hassle free.

That's all I have to say about it.
Anonymous
February 22, 2005 6:40:53 AM

Why on earth did you check the box that indicated you had a $1500 limit.
Common sense should have told you that it would do nothing but cause
problems.
If you had left it blank and the charge went through, that would have been
the end of it. If the Charge didn't go through, I am quite sure Dell would
have contacted you.

> In article <G%tSd.12876$Py7.10447@fe03.lga>, girlsrule@hotmail.com says...
>>

>>Interesting, we have ordered 3 computers on line, all paid via MasterCard,
>>all over $1500, and never experienced any thing like that.
>>Must be something new at Dell. Our last order was nearly two years ago,
>>though.
>>

> I've explained it all yet no one gets it. The problem is with their
> online
> ordering and the option which one selcts a daily limit. This is to
> trigger
> their billing department into breaking the transaction into amounts under
> the
> daily limit and ,alking an additional withdrawl. The CS rep told me many
> people were having this problem and the function appeared not to be
> working.
>
> So for a hi-tech company why such a lo-tech problem which causes
> unneccesary
> delay for the consumer? Seems to me they would rectify the situation and
> avoid
> the calls to their CS dept. This was my entire point. A business,
> especially
> one selling expensive merchandise should do everything in their power to
> avoid
> any problems to the consumer and make online ordering hassle free.
>

> That's all I have to say about it.

Anonymous
February 22, 2005 6:47:19 AM

In article <PHtSd.1326$Sd.350256@newshog.newsread.com>, mjhuffma@pro-ns.net
says...

>BigJIm wrote:
>> no credit card means bad credit that is why people don't use them.
>> You sound like a person who blames everyone else for your short comings.
>

>Excuse me? I have an excellent credit rating, and I refuse to use credit
>cards simply because of the business practices of the credit card
>companies and issuing banks. Plus, I refuse to go into debt to buy
>anything I can pay cash for.
>
>You, sir, can kiss my hairy white ass.

LOL. Exactly my reasons. All my friends are in hock up to their eyeballs and
barely living from paycheck to paycheck and a layoff away from losing it all.
One is about to lose his home over $2300 debt to a credit card company.

I'm very comfortable with the fact I chucked them all in 1989 and went strictly
to cash and debit cards and not one of the monthly slaves to high interest
rates. But then again, I never really used them that much anyway except for
when I was on business trips and reimbursed within a few days by my employer.
Anonymous
February 22, 2005 5:43:26 PM

Obviously you do not understand the problem. Of course the sale would have
been stopped due to the daily limit.

Again, some common sense very slowly so that you can understand it, the option
exists precisely for the reason that Dell then splits the mount up into
increments smaller then the limit and makes more then one withdrawl on two
different business days.

Dell did contact me with an email. It took 4 days to get ahold of a cs rep who
could manually do what theur option at online ordering does, break the sale up
into smaller amounts, somethign the option at online ordering is supposed to do
or notify them to do.

Obviously you do not understand the situation.

In article <6QASd.18904$Xw2.12108@fe06.lga>, girlsrule@hotmail.com says...

>Why on earth did you check the box that indicated you had a $1500 limit.
>Common sense should have told you that it would do nothing but cause
>problems.
>If you had left it blank and the charge went through, that would have been
>the end of it. If the Charge didn't go through, I am quite sure Dell would
>have contacted you.
>

>"Linebacker" <linebacker@nolinuxmail.org> wrote in message
>> In article <G%tSd.12876$Py7.10447@fe03.lga>, girlsrule@hotmail.com says...
>>>

>>>Interesting, we have ordered 3 computers on line, all paid via MasterCard,
>>>all over $1500, and never experienced any thing like that.
>>>Must be something new at Dell. Our last order was nearly two years ago,
>>>though.
>>>

>> I've explained it all yet no one gets it. The problem is with their
>> online
>> ordering and the option which one selcts a daily limit. This is to
>> trigger
>> their billing department into breaking the transaction into amounts under
>> the
>> daily limit and ,alking an additional withdrawl. The CS rep told me many
>> people were having this problem and the function appeared not to be
>> working.
>>
>> So for a hi-tech company why such a lo-tech problem which causes
>> unneccesary
>> delay for the consumer? Seems to me they would rectify the situation and
>> avoid
>> the calls to their CS dept. This was my entire point. A business,
>> especially
>> one selling expensive merchandise should do everything in their power to
>> avoid
>> any problems to the consumer and make online ordering hassle free.
>>

>> That's all I have to say about it.

Anonymous
February 22, 2005 5:43:27 PM

> Obviously you do not understand the problem. Of course the sale would
> have
> been stopped due to the daily limit.

Obviously, I do understand the problem. IF you hadn't checked the box, Dell
may have or may not have stopped the order. It would depend on whether or
not your bank approved the charge. My bank calls me if they question a
charge and your bank should be doing the same thing. If they don't, I would
change banks so fast they wouldn't know what had happened.
I assume they are not "the only game in town".

"Linebacker" <linebacker@nolinuxmail.org> wrote in message

> Obviously you do not understand the problem. Of course the sale would
> have
> been stopped due to the daily limit.
>
> Again, some common sense very slowly so that you can understand it, the
> option
> exists precisely for the reason that Dell then splits the mount up into
> increments smaller then the limit and makes more then one withdrawl on two
> different business days.
>
> Dell did contact me with an email. It took 4 days to get ahold of a cs
> rep who
> could manually do what theur option at online ordering does, break the
> sale up
> into smaller amounts, somethign the option at online ordering is supposed
> to do
> or notify them to do.
>
> Obviously you do not understand the situation.
>

> In article <6QASd.18904$Xw2.12108@fe06.lga>, girlsrule@hotmail.com says...
>>

>>Why on earth did you check the box that indicated you had a $1500 limit.
>>Common sense should have told you that it would do nothing but cause
>>problems.
>>If you had left it blank and the charge went through, that would have been
>>the end of it. If the Charge didn't go through, I am quite sure Dell would
>>have contacted you.
>>

>>"Linebacker" <linebacker@nolinuxmail.org> wrote in message
>>> In article <G%tSd.12876$Py7.10447@fe03.lga>, girlsrule@hotmail.com
>>> says...

>>> I've explained it all yet no one gets it. The problem is with their
>>> online
>>> ordering and the option which one selcts a daily limit. This is to
>>> trigger
>>> their billing department into breaking the transaction into amounts
>>> under
>>> the
>>> daily limit and ,alking an additional withdrawl. The CS rep told me
>>> many
>>> people were having this problem and the function appeared not to be
>>> working.
>>>
>>> So for a hi-tech company why such a lo-tech problem which causes
>>> unneccesary
>>> delay for the consumer? Seems to me they would rectify the situation
>>> and
>>> avoid
>>> the calls to their CS dept. This was my entire point. A business,
>>> especially
>>> one selling expensive merchandise should do everything in their power to
>>> avoid
>>> any problems to the consumer and make online ordering hassle free.
>>>

>>> That's all I have to say about it.

Anonymous
February 22, 2005 11:50:32 PM

In article <ZtKSd.13683$fg.6391@fe07.lga>, girlsrule@hotmail.com says...

>"Linebacker" <linebacker@nolinuxmail.org> wrote in message
>
>> Obviously you do not understand the problem. Of course the sale would
>> have
>> been stopped due to the daily limit.
>

>Obviously, I do understand the problem. IF you hadn't checked the box, Dell
>may have or may not have stopped the order. It would depend on whether or
>not your bank approved the charge. My bank calls me if they question a
>charge and your bank should be doing the same thing. If they don't, I would
>change banks so fast they wouldn't know what had happened.
>I assume they are not "the only game in town".

ROFLMAO! "If you hadn't checked the box" LOL! Again you have no understanding
of Dell's online ordering process nor the ability to understand why the dialog
box is present and what it's purpose is even though it's been thoroughly
explained several times.

It's not a matter of the bank doing something with regard to the order. The
bank is irrelvant. The bank should have to do nothing if you understand and can
follow the reasoning why dell has the daily limit dialog box. It's dell who
processes and submits the order. They simply did not do it in the manner the
online ordering system prescribes. Dell even acknowledges it is not
functioning correctly. The order was screwed up, not once but twice.

So there you have it, you'll just have to accept the facts as Dell CS reps
state. You simply have the inability to understand dell's online ordering
system and the functions. If one calls in the order by phone, the CS rep
processed the order precisely as I have previously stated, they break the
freaking charges up into smaller amounts and process in separate transactions
so the daily limit is not triggered. This is what the the options box on
online ordering is for, it does the same thing. Get it now?

I gave up and have now obtained a case, a power supply, a motherboard, memory,
hard drives, dvd and cd drives, sound and video cards, an LCD monitor and
decided to simply build my own tonight rather then deal with dell or this topic
any further.

This is absolutely funny. I've learned one thing not only are there some
morons at Dell but there are some real lew-lews on the net.
Anonymous
February 22, 2005 11:50:33 PM

Let me guess this straight. You, apparently, have ordered one computer using
the online order page and had it mess up.
You have a $1500 daily limitation on your card that is causing you and Dell
problems but you can't correct it with your bank. No one else in this group
has been tied up with a $1500 daily limit on their bank cards. Our bank is
very cooperative with us and Dell, causing neither of us any problems.
We have ordered three computers using the online order page and not had any
problems.

But you're the expert.

> In article <ZtKSd.13683$fg.6391@fe07.lga>, girlsrule@hotmail.com says...
>>

>>"Linebacker" <linebacker@nolinuxmail.org> wrote in message
>>
>>> Obviously you do not understand the problem. Of course the sale would
>>> have
>>> been stopped due to the daily limit.
>>

>>Obviously, I do understand the problem. IF you hadn't checked the box,
>>Dell
>>may have or may not have stopped the order. It would depend on whether or
>>not your bank approved the charge. My bank calls me if they question a
>>charge and your bank should be doing the same thing. If they don't, I
>>would
>>change banks so fast they wouldn't know what had happened.
>>I assume they are not "the only game in town".
>>

> ROFLMAO! "If you hadn't checked the box" LOL! Again you have no
> understanding
> of Dell's online ordering process nor the ability to understand why the
> dialog
> box is present and what it's purpose is even though it's been thoroughly
> explained several times.
>
> It's not a matter of the bank doing something with regard to the order.
> The
> bank is irrelvant. The bank should have to do nothing if you understand
> and can
> follow the reasoning why dell has the daily limit dialog box. It's dell
> who
> processes and submits the order. They simply did not do it in the manner
> the
> online ordering system prescribes. Dell even acknowledges it is not
> functioning correctly. The order was screwed up, not once but twice.
>
> So there you have it, you'll just have to accept the facts as Dell CS reps
> state. You simply have the inability to understand dell's online ordering
> system and the functions. If one calls in the order by phone, the CS rep
> processed the order precisely as I have previously stated, they break the
> freaking charges up into smaller amounts and process in separate
> transactions
> so the daily limit is not triggered. This is what the the options box on
> online ordering is for, it does the same thing. Get it now?
>
> I gave up and have now obtained a case, a power supply, a motherboard,
> memory,
> hard drives, dvd and cd drives, sound and video cards, an LCD monitor and
> decided to simply build my own tonight rather then deal with dell or this
> topic
> any further.
>
> This is absolutely funny. I've learned one thing not only are there some
> morons at Dell but there are some real lew-lews on the net.

February 23, 2005 5:41:08 AM

Linebacker wrote:

> In article <PHtSd.1326$Sd.350256@newshog.newsread.com>, mjhuffma@pro-ns.net
> says...
>
>>BigJIm wrote:
>>
>>>no credit card means bad credit that is why people don't use them.
>>>You sound like a person who blames everyone else for your short comings.
>>
>>Excuse me? I have an excellent credit rating, and I refuse to use credit
>>cards simply because of the business practices of the credit card
>>companies and issuing banks. Plus, I refuse to go into debt to buy
>>anything I can pay cash for.
>>
>>You, sir, can kiss my hairy white ass.
>
> LOL. Exactly my reasons. All my friends are in hock up to their eyeballs and
> barely living from paycheck to paycheck and a layoff away from losing it all.
> One is about to lose his home over $2300 debt to a credit card company.

I have (note I didn't say carry) a couple of credit cards and I pay the
full balance whenever I have charges. Can't remember when I paid a
nickel in CC finance charges. At worst I'm in debt up to my ankles, plus
I'm retired, so no job to lose.

To sum up, it's not whether or not one has one or more credit cards,
it's how he uses them. Having a CC does not compel one to charge up to
his limit and pay the minimum balance every month, that's just stupid,
not to mention financial suicide. Of course, not having a CC is no
guarantee of being solvent. My CR report shows that I carry 2% of my
combined CR limit - which is a plus when it comes to calculating one's
CR score (important if one plans to apply for a mortgage).

Paying cash for a car is a good rule of thumb, but it pays to run the
numbers for each situation. E.g., I bought a new Honda in 2003 and had
intended to write a check for it. However, I researched the interest
rates on new car loans at the time and saw that I could finance the car
thru Honda Finance for 3.64% and I was making about 3 times that in my
Vanguard account, so I borrowed some $$$ from Honda & let them finance
my car.

Naturally, I have a DB card along with my checking account. The daily
limit for cash withdrawals is $500. I have no idea if there is a limit
to DB card *purchases* other than the balance in my account. I have
never heard of a limit on DB card purchases as described.
February 23, 2005 5:43:37 AM

Giovanni Azua wrote:

> Hi Vandolay,
>
> Last month I ordered a Precision 670 worth over $5000USD and because
> of their mistake (they added an additional 20'' FP for free) they
> put my order on-hold for more than one moth with my card already
> charged from the first day. I had been through their customer
> no-care madness for a month with my order cancelled and restarted
> 3 times!

Are you sure Dell *charged* your account vs. getting authorization? An
authorization will reduce your CR available but doesn't show up as a
charge until later, i.e., no interest charges until after it posts
(depends, of course, on the terms of your account).
February 23, 2005 6:17:28 AM

Linebacker wrote:

> In article <9KiSd.54951$iC4.12510@newssvr30.news.prodigy.com>,
> nospam@hotmail.com says...
>

>>I have never heard of a daily limit on a Master Card. I have no daily
>>limits on any of the cards I hold.
>>
>>Regards,
>>
>>Jerry Seinfeld.
>>
>>"Art Vandolay" <av@linuxmail.org> wrote in message
>>
>>>Last Wednesday I ordered a Dell system through their online ordering
>>>system.
>>>The system came to around $2400. During the checkout process I supplied
>>>my MC
>>>number. Dell asks if there is a daily limit on the card. Of course,
>>>everyone
>>>has a daily limit. Mine was $1500.
>
> BWAHAHA you have a limit! It's just higher then mine. Giddy-uP!

Really? Unless you can substantiate that claim, you're just a HateDellbot.
Anonymous
February 23, 2005 6:38:17 AM

"Irene" <girlsrule@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> As I said, I think that I am beginning to understand the REAL
> problem.

Oh, most of us knew all along!! ;-)

Tom J
Anonymous
February 23, 2005 6:38:18 AM

I TRIED to give him the benefit of the doubt. But this guy is intent on
proving that he is the problem.

"Tom J" <tomj_ga@despammed.com> wrote in message

> "Irene" <girlsrule@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> As I said, I think that I am beginning to understand the REAL problem.
>
> Oh, most of us knew all along!! ;-)
>
> Tom J

Anonymous
February 23, 2005 9:21:37 AM

>I TRIED to give him the benefit of the doubt. But this guy is intent on
>proving that he is the problem.

I'm surprised to see you post as much. There are legitmate gripes and then
there are people who mess things up and then want to avoid any
responsibility in the matter.

This type of post (from the OP) isn't new.

Stew
Anonymous
February 23, 2005 1:49:04 PM

Hi Linebacker,

"Linebacker" wrote in message
> Obviously you do not understand the problem. Of course the
> sale would have been stopped due to the daily limit.

It is very simple, if they were able to understand
your problem they would not be working for DELL as
Dellbots right now, but doing something smarter.

I was thinking about writing some kind of article
"Guide to deal with Dell without putting your mental health
at risk" probably writing an extensive review would be
also good.

Best Regards,
Giovanni

PS: Good luck building your system. I would do the same
if I could.
Anonymous
February 23, 2005 4:16:31 PM

As I said, I like to give people the benefit of the doubt.

> "Irene" <girlsrule@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>I TRIED to give him the benefit of the doubt. But this guy is intent on
>>proving that he is the problem.
>>

> I'm surprised to see you post as much. There are legitmate gripes and
> then there are people who mess things up and then want to avoid any
> responsibility in the matter.
>
> This type of post (from the OP) isn't new.
>

> Stew

Anonymous
February 23, 2005 4:33:23 PM

"Sparky" <nemo@moon.sun.edu> wrote in message
> I have never heard of a limit on DB card purchases as described.

Frankly, I doubt that anyone else has either.
Not to mention a bank that refuses to do business over the phone.

My husband and I got our first bank card from Bank of America, the year they
began issuing them(I believe B of A was the first bank to use bank cards).
That was more than 40 years ago. We have never had a purchase rejected
because the bank refused to honor the charge or debit. We have been called
by the bank to verify a particular transaction, but nothing beyond that.
When needed for a one time large purchase, we have had no problem getting it
authorized by a simple phone call, in advance of the purchase, to the bank
involved. All things considered, I think what happened is that he messed up
and rather than admitting it, he is looking for a scapegoat.

The only reasons that I can think of for a bank to put such restrictions on
a person's account, including that they come into the bank in person, would
be a fraud alert or identity theft situation, a lack of credit history, or a
poor credit history.

"Sparky" <nemo@moon.sun.edu> wrote in message
> Linebacker wrote:
>
>> In article <PHtSd.1326$Sd.350256@newshog.newsread.com>,
>> mjhuffma@pro-ns.net says...

>>>Excuse me? I have an excellent credit rating, and I refuse to use credit
>>>cards simply because of the business practices of the credit card
>>>companies and issuing banks. Plus, I refuse to go into debt to buy
>>>anything I can pay cash for.
>>>
>>>You, sir, can kiss my hairy white ass.
>>
>> LOL. Exactly my reasons. All my friends are in hock up to their
>> eyeballs and barely living from paycheck to paycheck and a layoff away
>> from losing it all.
>> One is about to lose his home over $2300 debt to a credit card company.
>
> I have (note I didn't say carry) a couple of credit cards and I pay the
> full balance whenever I have charges. Can't remember when I paid a nickel
> in CC finance charges. At worst I'm in debt up to my ankles, plus I'm
> retired, so no job to lose.
>
> To sum up, it's not whether or not one has one or more credit cards, it's
> how he uses them. Having a CC does not compel one to charge up to his
> limit and pay the minimum balance every month, that's just stupid, not to
> mention financial suicide. Of course, not having a CC is no guarantee of
> being solvent. My CR report shows that I carry 2% of my combined CR
> limit - which is a plus when it comes to calculating one's CR score
> (important if one plans to apply for a mortgage).
>
> Paying cash for a car is a good rule of thumb, but it pays to run the
> numbers for each situation. E.g., I bought a new Honda in 2003 and had
> intended to write a check for it. However, I researched the interest rates
> on new car loans at the time and saw that I could finance the car thru
> Honda Finance for 3.64% and I was making about 3 times that in my Vanguard
> account, so I borrowed some $$$ from Honda & let them finance my car.
>
> Naturally, I have a DB card along with my checking account. The daily
> limit for cash withdrawals is $500. I have no idea if there is a limit to
> DB card *purchases* other than the balance in my account. I have never
> heard of a limit on DB card purchases as described.
Anonymous
February 23, 2005 5:45:23 PM

Kind of OT, but what the hell...

I remember my first credit card... I was in college and my limit
was something like $1000. After a year of not using the card, AT
ALL, I received a letter from the bank, telling me that because
I was such a good customer, and never had any delinquent payments
(Mind you, I never had ANY payments!), they were raising my limit
to $5000.

Unless you've done something terribly wrong, BANKS WANT TO LOAN
YOU MONEY!!!

Notan

Irene wrote:

> Frankly, I doubt that anyone else has either.
> Not to mention a bank that refuses to do business over the phone.
>
> My husband and I got our first bank card from Bank of America, the year they
> began issuing them(I believe B of A was the first bank to use bank cards).
> That was more than 40 years ago. We have never had a purchase rejected
> because the bank refused to honor the charge or debit. We have been called
> by the bank to verify a particular transaction, but nothing beyond that.
> When needed for a one time large purchase, we have had no problem getting it
> authorized by a simple phone call, in advance of the purchase, to the bank
> involved. All things considered, I think what happened is that he messed up
> and rather than admitting it, he is looking for a scapegoat.
>
> The only reasons that I can think of for a bank to put such restrictions on
> a person's account, including that they come into the bank in person, would
> be a fraud alert or identity theft situation, a lack of credit history, or a
> poor credit history.
Anonymous
February 23, 2005 5:45:24 PM

I don't know how long ago that was, but way back when, when I was just out
of my teens, banks were a little more careful than today. Today, I can't
imagine someone having problems unless they have a bad credit history and
even then I have seen advertisements for credit cards for people who have
bad credit.
That is one of the reasons that the fees and interest rates are so high.

> Kind of OT, but what the hell...
>
> I remember my first credit card... I was in college and my limit
> was something like $1000. After a year of not using the card, AT
> ALL, I received a letter from the bank, telling me that because
> I was such a good customer, and never had any delinquent payments
> (Mind you, I never had ANY payments!), they were raising my limit
> to $5000.
>
> Unless you've done something terribly wrong, BANKS WANT TO LOAN
> YOU MONEY!!!
>
> Notan
>
> Irene wrote:
>>
>> Frankly, I doubt that anyone else has either.
>> Not to mention a bank that refuses to do business over the phone.
>>
>> My husband and I got our first bank card from Bank of America, the year
>> they
>> began issuing them(I believe B of A was the first bank to use bank
>> cards).
>> That was more than 40 years ago. We have never had a purchase rejected
>> because the bank refused to honor the charge or debit. We have been
>> called
>> by the bank to verify a particular transaction, but nothing beyond that.
>> When needed for a one time large purchase, we have had no problem getting
>> it
>> authorized by a simple phone call, in advance of the purchase, to the
>> bank
>> involved. All things considered, I think what happened is that he messed
>> up
>> and rather than admitting it, he is looking for a scapegoat.
>>
>> The only reasons that I can think of for a bank to put such restrictions
>> on
>> a person's account, including that they come into the bank in person,
>> would
>> be a fraud alert or identity theft situation, a lack of credit history,
>> or a
>> poor credit history.
Anonymous
February 23, 2005 10:39:24 PM

Irene wrote:
> "smh" wrote:
>
> Please read Linebacker's earlier posts near the beginning of this
> thread.
>
> I have read all his posts.

What I gather from the following are these:

1. Dell asked about the limit, but there's no explicit instructions to
raise the limit when the limit is not sufficient.

2. Dell expected Linebaker to raise the limit while Linebacker assumed
Dell would split the charges.

(Note: There's some discrepancy on how the charges were split. That
might have been caused by more than one Dell's botched charge split.)

------------------------------
As I previosuly stated
when submitting the order and utilizing a bank or debit card they
specifically ask if there is a daily limit on the account. Why
certainly,
everyone has a daily limit. One would assume they ask this in order to
split
the purchase price up and submit more than one withdrawl.

Apparently it is supposed to be done but the option isn't working.
After
several hours and emails trying to straighten this matter out I got
ahold of a
young lady this morning who straighted the entire matter out in less
than a
minute and deducted 1/3 this morning and a 1/3 the next two days.

------------------------------
The fact is Dell gives you
the option of picking the daily limit for the reason I outlined. Was
told this
morning it does not function properly and they are encountering this
problem
with many people. It;s not a matter of one not having good credit, it's
matter of a faulty ordering system.

Since dell inquires about the limit at the time of the order and amount
their
option was offered so they could do just as I stated, break the purchase
price
up into separate withdrawls.

within one minute the matter was straighened out when I got lucky and
found
someone at Dell who knwew what the hell they were doing. The deducted a
portion
of the sale from my account i seconds, the remainder tomorrow.

------------------------------
It took four days, several emails and calls to clear up a very simple
matter that a lady who was helpful and knowlegeable this morning cleared
up in
60 seconds and acknowledged there was a problem with their online
ordering. The
problem was never on my end.

------------------------------
Fortunately I reached the correct person this morning who was probably
no more
then a CS rep who recognized the problem from other buyers and rectified
it
immediately and who acknowleged the problem was a glitch in their online
ordering where they specifically inquire about daily limits on credit or
debit
cards and the ammount it is set at. Apparently this is so they may
break the
withdrawls into smaller increments and withdraw over a couple days to
avoid
this type of problem.

------------------------------
Anonymous
February 23, 2005 11:00:05 PM

Irene wrote:
> "smh" wrote:
>
> Please read Linebacker's earlier posts near the beginning of this
> thread.
>
> I have read all his posts.

What I gather from the following are these:

1. Dell asked about the limit, but there's no explicit instructions to
raise the limit when the limit is not sufficient.

2. Dell expected Linebaker to raise the limit while Linebacker assumed
Dell would split the charges.

(Note: There's some discrepancy on how the charges were split. That
might have been caused by more than one Dell's botched charge split.)

------------------------------
As I previosuly stated when submitting the order and utilizing a bank or
debit card they specifically ask if there is a daily limit on the
account. Why certainly, everyone has a daily limit. One would assume
they ask this in order to split the purchase price up and submit more
than one withdrawl.

Apparently it is supposed to be done but the option isn't working. After
several hours and emails trying to straighten this matter out I got
ahold of a young lady this morning who straighted the entire matter out
in less than a minute and deducted 1/3 this morning and a 1/3 the next
two days.

------------------------------
The fact is Dell gives you the option of picking the daily limit for the
reason I outlined. Was told this morning it does not function properly
and they are encountering this problem with many people. It;s not a
matter of one not having good credit, it's a matter of a faulty ordering
[...]

February 24, 2005 12:06:11 AM

> oops, typo. That should have been $1500 not $1599

OK, I snipped a lot, but I was lazy.

While I do agree, Irene, that the $1500 limit caused a problem, we should
not ignore that the magic little check box should have worked.

That said, the way I have always read the checkbox was that it let you enter
TWO cards on which to split the charge NOT that it allows a single card to
be split over two days.

OK, wait, I actually went as far as to add a machine to my cart.

There is a CHECKBOX to choose TWO cards.

There is a DROPDOWN to choose what your Debit card limit is.

So, we'll assume the original poster didn't remember what he did, and Dell
screwed up.

I believe they likely did. There's been a lot of abuse towards the Original
poster, but Dell likely did screw up.

The abuse comes from the BAD attitude expressed here.

It has to be bad for Irene to be on Dell's side :)

Tom
Anonymous
February 24, 2005 12:27:05 AM

news:o EaTd.7740$Q47.5112@bignews5.bellsouth.net...
we should
> not ignore that the magic little check box should have worked.

I agree and I said that I agree with Linebaker that Dell is responsible for
fixing the bugs in their web sites, including that one. I am also of the
opinion that they are very slow to do so.
Witness the order tracking web page.

What I fail to understand is why, knowing he had a self imposed $1500 daily
limit on his card, didn't he raise the limit before placing the order,
instead of days afterward. I believe that would have successfully avoided
the problem, all together.
I have always avoided the problems that he experienced by making sure that
the limits of my card were sufficient to cover the purchase(s) that I
planned on making. Not just with Dell, with whom we successfully order three
very expensive computers using their online order web page, but with all
merchants.
Or am I wrong and have I just been lucky in never having a purchase put on
hold, or split.

news:o EaTd.7740$Q47.5112@bignews5.bellsouth.net...

> "Irene" <girlsrule@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> oops, typo. That should have been $1500 not $1599
>>

> OK, I snipped a lot, but I was lazy.
>
> While I do agree, Irene, that the $1500 limit caused a problem, we should
> not ignore that the magic little check box should have worked.
>
> That said, the way I have always read the checkbox was that it let you
> enter TWO cards on which to split the charge NOT that it allows a single
> card to be split over two days.
>
> OK, wait, I actually went as far as to add a machine to my cart.
>
> There is a CHECKBOX to choose TWO cards.
>
> There is a DROPDOWN to choose what your Debit card limit is.
>
> So, we'll assume the original poster didn't remember what he did, and Dell
> screwed up.
>
> I believe they likely did. There's been a lot of abuse towards the
> Original poster, but Dell likely did screw up.
>
> The abuse comes from the BAD attitude expressed here.
>
> It has to be bad for Irene to be on Dell's side :)
>

> Tom

Anonymous
February 24, 2005 12:43:35 AM

He made several assumptions and we all know the "daffynition" of "assume".

As you say, he assumed that Dell would split the charge.

He also assumed that everyone has a daily limit(not so)

He assumed that Dell and his bank would cooperate to correct the error he
made in assuming the two above assumptions.

At some point the individual has to except some responsibility for his
finances. He should have ensured that his limits(daily and otherwise) were
sufficiently high to make the planned purchase. He did not. Then, after the
fact, and after repeatedly denying that the limit he placed on the card
himself was the root cause of the problem, he went into the bank and raised
the limit.
By then it was too late.
Go Figure.

BTW, that in way excuses Dell for not fixing their on line order web page.

"smh" <smhong@mindspring.com> wrote in message
> [...]
> matter that a lady who was helpful and knowlegeable this morning cleared
> up in
> 60 seconds and acknowledged there was a problem with their online
> ordering. The
> problem was never on my end.
>
> ------------------------------
> Fortunately I reached the correct person this morning who was probably
> no more
> then a CS rep who recognized the problem from other buyers and rectified
> it
> immediately and who acknowleged the problem was a glitch in their online
> ordering where they specifically inquire about daily limits on credit or
> debit
> cards and the ammount it is set at. Apparently this is so they may
> break the
> withdrawls into smaller increments and withdraw over a couple days to

Anonymous
February 24, 2005 1:00:57 AM

In article <421CF973.F4ED7B03@ddress.com>, notan@ddress.com says...

>Kind of OT, but what the hell...
>
>I remember my first credit card... I was in college and my limit
>was something like $1000. After a year of not using the card, AT
>ALL, I received a letter from the bank, telling me that because
>I was such a good customer, and never had any delinquent payments
>(Mind you, I never had ANY payments!), they were raising my limit
>to $5000.
>
>Unless you've done something terribly wrong, BANKS WANT TO LOAN
>YOU MONEY!!!
>
>Notan
>
>Irene wrote:
>>
>> Frankly, I doubt that anyone else has either.
>> Not to mention a bank that refuses to do business over the phone.
>>
>> My husband and I got our first bank card from Bank of America, the year they
>> began issuing them(I believe B of A was the first bank to use bank cards).
>> That was more than 40 years ago. We have never had a purchase rejected
>> because the bank refused to honor the charge or debit. We have been called
>> by the bank to verify a particular transaction, but nothing beyond that.
>> When needed for a one time large purchase, we have had no problem getting it
>> authorized by a simple phone call, in advance of the purchase, to the bank
>> involved. All things considered, I think what happened is that he messed up
>> and rather than admitting it, he is looking for a scapegoat.
>>
>> The only reasons that I can think of for a bank to put such restrictions on
>> a person's account, including that they come into the bank in person, would
>> be a fraud alert or identity theft situation, a lack of credit history, or a
>> poor credit history.

Don't use credit cards yet have over 635K in the bank, a new $500K home paid
cash for and I have a 1500 limit at my instruction when I opened the account.
No credit problems ever, have excellent credit Nuff said!
Anonymous
February 24, 2005 1:00:58 AM

"Lineacker" <linbacker@linxmail.org> wrote in message
> In article <421CF973.F4ED7B03@ddress.com>, notan@ddress.com says...
>>

> Don't use credit cards yet have over 635K in the bank, a new $500K home
> paid
> cash for and I have a 1500 limit at my instruction when I opened the
> account.
> No credit problems ever, have excellent credit Nuff said!

If you have only $635K in the bank and paid cash for a $500K home, then
you're not very good with managing money, are you.

Irrational
Anonymous
February 24, 2005 1:00:58 AM

"Lineacker" <linbacker@linxmail.org> wrote in message

>I have a 1500 limit at my instruction when I opened the >account.

Well, FINALLY, after all the BS, you just admitted the cause of the
problem. You created it yourself and didn't have common sense enough to
contact your bank IN ADVANCE to inform them you would have a one time
"charge" coming through that exceeded your self imposed limit.
All you had to do was tell your bank about the charge and from what company
it was coming and you could have avoided all your problems.

AND, I'm the "-------- stupid" one?

I think not.

"Lineacker" <linbacker@linxmail.org> wrote in message
> In article <421CF973.F4ED7B03@ddress.com>, notan@ddress.com says...
>>

>>Kind of OT, but what the hell...
>>
>>I remember my first credit card... I was in college and my limit
>>was something like $1000. After a year of not using the card, AT
>>ALL, I received a letter from the bank, telling me that because
>>I was such a good customer, and never had any delinquent payments
>>(Mind you, I never had ANY payments!), they were raising my limit
>>to $5000.
>>
>>Unless you've done something terribly wrong, BANKS WANT TO LOAN
>>YOU MONEY!!!
>>
>>Notan
>>
>>Irene wrote:
>>>
>>> Frankly, I doubt that anyone else has either.
>>> Not to mention a bank that refuses to do business over the phone.
>>>
>>> My husband and I got our first bank card from Bank of America, the year
>>> they
>>> began issuing them(I believe B of A was the first bank to use bank
>>> cards).
>>> That was more than 40 years ago. We have never had a purchase rejected
>>> because the bank refused to honor the charge or debit. We have been
>>> called
>>> by the bank to verify a particular transaction, but nothing beyond that.
>>> When needed for a one time large purchase, we have had no problem
>>> getting it
>>> authorized by a simple phone call, in advance of the purchase, to the
>>> bank
>>> involved. All things considered, I think what happened is that he messed
>>> up
>>> and rather than admitting it, he is looking for a scapegoat.
>>>
>>> The only reasons that I can think of for a bank to put such restrictions
>>> on
>>> a person's account, including that they come into the bank in person,
>>> would
>>> be a fraud alert or identity theft situation, a lack of credit history,
>>> or a
>>> poor credit history.
>

> Don't use credit cards yet have over 635K in the bank, a new $500K home
> paid
> cash for and I have a 1500 limit at my instruction when I opened the
> account.
> No credit problems ever, have excellent credit Nuff said!

Anonymous
February 24, 2005 1:00:59 AM

> you're not very good with managing money, are you.
>
> Irrational

Not to mention planning ahead for a one time purchase that he knows will
exceed his self imposed $1500 limit. >g<

> "Lineacker" <linbacker@linxmail.org> wrote in message
>> In article <421CF973.F4ED7B03@ddress.com>, notan@ddress.com says...
>>>

>> Don't use credit cards yet have over 635K in the bank, a new $500K home
>> paid
>> cash for and I have a 1500 limit at my instruction when I opened the
>> account.
>> No credit problems ever, have excellent credit Nuff said!
>>

> If you have only $635K in the bank and paid cash for a $500K home, then
> you're not very good with managing money, are you.
>
> Irrational

Anonymous
February 24, 2005 1:49:15 AM

In article <4E7Td.29665$Rl5.21547@bignews4.bellsouth.net>, tomtoo@softhome.net
says...

>"Lineacker" <linbacker@linxmail.org> wrote in message
>> In article <421CF973.F4ED7B03@ddress.com>, notan@ddress.com says...
>>>

>> Don't use credit cards yet have over 635K in the bank, a new $500K home
>> paid
>> cash for and I have a 1500 limit at my instruction when I opened the
>> account.
>> No credit problems ever, have excellent credit Nuff said!
>>

>If you have only $635K in the bank and paid cash for a $500K home, then
>you're not very good with managing money, are you.
>
>Irrational

ROFLMAO! Jealous? Actually I am very good with managing money and I have
excellent credit. I won't even list my investments. I think I'm doing rather
well. Better then 75% of the interest paying slaves. I don't use credit ever.
The debit card is simply my check book adm I am perfectly comfortable with the
limit at the time I opened the checking account.
Anonymous
February 24, 2005 1:49:16 AM

Lineacker wrote:

> In article <4E7Td.29665$Rl5.21547@bignews4.bellsouth.net>, tomtoo@softhome.net
> says...
> >

> >"Lineacker" <linbacker@linxmail.org> wrote in message
> >> In article <421CF973.F4ED7B03@ddress.com>, notan@ddress.com says...
> >>>

> >> Don't use credit cards yet have over 635K in the bank, a new $500K home
> >> paid
> >> cash for and I have a 1500 limit at my instruction when I opened the
> >> account.
> >> No credit problems ever, have excellent credit Nuff said!
> >>

> >If you have only $635K in the bank and paid cash for a $500K home, then
> >you're not very good with managing money, are you.
> >
> >Irrational
> >

> ROFLMAO! Jealous? Actually I am very good with managing money and I have
> excellent credit. I won't even list my investments. I think I'm doing rather
> well. Better then 75% of the interest paying slaves. I don't use credit ever.
> The debit card is simply my check book adm I am perfectly comfortable with the
> limit at the time I opened the checking account.

I can pretty much guarantee that, in regards to this discussion, the word
"jealous" has never pooped into anyone's head.

Notan
Anonymous
February 24, 2005 1:49:16 AM

> In article <4E7Td.29665$Rl5.21547@bignews4.bellsouth.net>,
> tomtoo@softhome.net
> says...
>>

>>"Lineacker" <linbacker@linxmail.org> wrote in message
>>> In article <421CF973.F4ED7B03@ddress.com>, notan@ddress.com says...
>>>>

>>> Don't use credit cards yet have over 635K in the bank, a new $500K home
>>> paid
>>> cash for and I have a 1500 limit at my instruction when I opened the
>>> account.
>>> No credit problems ever, have excellent credit Nuff said!
>>>

>>If you have only $635K in the bank and paid cash for a $500K home, then
>>you're not very good with managing money, are you.
>>
>>Irrational
>>

> ROFLMAO! Jealous? Actually I am very good with managing money and I have
> excellent credit. I won't even list my investments. I think I'm doing
> rather
> well. Better then 75% of the interest paying slaves. I don't use credit
> ever.
> The debit card is simply my check book adm I am perfectly comfortable with
> the
> limit at the time I opened the checking account.

Jealous, uh, no.

Those figures were many years ago for me. I use M, not K, to describe my
assets.
Anonymous
February 24, 2005 1:49:17 AM

Notan wrote:

> Lineacker wrote:
> >
> > In article <4E7Td.29665$Rl5.21547@bignews4.bellsouth.net>, tomtoo@softhome.net
> > says...
> > >

> > >"Lineacker" <linbacker@linxmail.org> wrote in message

> > >If you have only $635K in the bank and paid cash for a $500K home, then
> > >you're not very good with managing money, are you.
> > >
> > >Irrational
> > >

> > ROFLMAO! Jealous? Actually I am very good with managing money and I have
> > excellent credit. I won't even list my investments. I think I'm doing rather
> > well. Better then 75% of the interest paying slaves. I don't use credit ever.
> > The debit card is simply my check book adm I am perfectly comfortable with the
> > limit at the time I opened the checking account.
>
> I can pretty much guarantee that, in regards to this discussion, the word
> "jealous" has never pooped into anyone's head.

Freudian slip... That should've been "popped!"

Notan
Anonymous
February 24, 2005 1:49:17 AM

You can say that again.