Repainting Arcade Cabinet

I am restoring a Tron cabinet and have bought all the appropriate
graphics and overlays. Once I get all the artwork off, I plan to
repaint the cabinet. A few questions.

The orignal color is black. What kind of paint (brand, type etc.) will
best replicate the original look>? Gloss is too shiny. I have seen
semi gloss and semi flat... not sure which to go with.

Also, picked up a Wagner Power Painter Home to do the painting. Hoping
that will do the job.

If you have experience doing this sort of thing, I'd love to hear from
you.

Thanks!
JOHN
42 answers Last reply
More about repainting arcade cabinet

    what do better pro sprayers run? best brands?

    i uesd a roller to paint my galaga cab, and get a high quality roller
    too dont buy the cheap roller to paint with.

    but it was not super smooth so i lightly sanded it with some very very
    fine sand paper and then repainted it with a 3" brush and it turned out
    great.

    and before i painted it with rust oleum satin black, I sanded it to
    the plywood so the wood was super smooth and then primed it with killz
    oil (oil cause the rustoloum is enamel oil based paint).

    and waited 2 days to dry and then i applied the side and kick plate
    art.

    frank

    I painted my TRON with the rustoleum satin and a smooth roller to get
    the super smooth finish. Check it out!

    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v205/bboldt3/TRON.jpg

    Ben

    I forgot, I also wet sanded the cab after painting with 800 grit. Works
    great.

    before you open that power painter, take it back. It won't work, a roller
    will be better.

    You are on the right track though, spraying is superior but do it with air
    compressors and guns. Powerpainters just spit paint.

    For tron, I tend to use a couple nice heavy coats of Rust Oleum Satin black.
    it dries semi-shiny.. then you can finish it off with a semi gloss
    polyurethane to get a really nice match to the original finish.

    Good Luck!
    /b

    http://www.tutankham.com

    "Levelbest" <john@mousehut.com> wrote in message
    >I am restoring a Tron cabinet and have bought all the appropriate
    > graphics and overlays. Once I get all the artwork off, I plan to
    > repaint the cabinet. A few questions.
    >
    > The orignal color is black. What kind of paint (brand, type etc.) will
    > best replicate the original look>? Gloss is too shiny. I have seen
    > semi gloss and semi flat... not sure which to go with.
    >
    > Also, picked up a Wagner Power Painter Home to do the painting. Hoping
    > that will do the job.
    >
    > If you have experience doing this sort of thing, I'd love to hear from
    > you.
    >
    > Thanks!
    > JOHN

    Do not use that power painter and I say that from experience. Use a roller
    if you can't get a professional sprayer.

    "Levelbest" <john@mousehut.com> wrote in message
    >I am restoring a Tron cabinet and have bought all the appropriate
    > graphics and overlays. Once I get all the artwork off, I plan to
    > repaint the cabinet. A few questions.
    >
    > The orignal color is black. What kind of paint (brand, type etc.) will
    > best replicate the original look>? Gloss is too shiny. I have seen
    > semi gloss and semi flat... not sure which to go with.
    >
    > Also, picked up a Wagner Power Painter Home to do the painting. Hoping
    > that will do the job.
    >
    > If you have experience doing this sort of thing, I'd love to hear from
    > you.
    >
    > Thanks!
    > JOHN

  7. Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade.collecting (More info?)

    I have never looked into it. It's a long shot but you might want to find
    painters in your phone book and ask them how much to paint it. I use a high
    quailty smooth finish roller and my cabs always look great.........

    > what do better pro sprayers run? best brands?

  8. Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade.collecting (More info?)

    Get a standard duty gun at your local home improvement store.. they work
    fine.

    I put together this page long ago, but it should still help you a bit:
    http://www.tutankham.com/painting.htm

    /b

    "Levelbest" <john@mousehut.com> wrote in message
    > what do better pro sprayers run? best brands?

  9. Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade.collecting (More info?)

    I'm confused... are ou guys using spray enamel or latex paints? I
    thought rustoleus was spray but if so then why would you use a roller?
  10. Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade.collecting (More info?)

    Rustoleum comes in spray cans and also normal paint cans.
  11. Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade.collecting (More info?)

    Use Rustoleum 7777 Satin Black spray paint. Lay the cabinet down flat and
    put on several heavy coats. It'll come out perfect and toy don't need to buy
    a spray gun.

    -r-

    "prOk" <bsonej@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > before you open that power painter, take it back. It won't work, a roller
    > will be better.
    >
    > You are on the right track though, spraying is superior but do it with air
    > compressors and guns. Powerpainters just spit paint.
    >
    > For tron, I tend to use a couple nice heavy coats of Rust Oleum Satin
    > black. it dries semi-shiny.. then you can finish it off with a semi gloss
    > polyurethane to get a really nice match to the original finish.
    >
    > Good Luck!
    > /b
    >
    > http://www.tutankham.com
    >
    > "Levelbest" <john@mousehut.com> wrote in message
    >>I am restoring a Tron cabinet and have bought all the appropriate
    >> graphics and overlays. Once I get all the artwork off, I plan to
    >> repaint the cabinet. A few questions.
    >>
    >> The orignal color is black. What kind of paint (brand, type etc.) will
    >> best replicate the original look>? Gloss is too shiny. I have seen
    >> semi gloss and semi flat... not sure which to go with.
    >>
    >> Also, picked up a Wagner Power Painter Home to do the painting. Hoping
    >> that will do the job.
    >>
    >> If you have experience doing this sort of thing, I'd love to hear from
    >> you.
    >>
    >> Thanks!
    >> JOHN

  12. Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade.collecting (More info?)

    Levelbest wrote:
    > Rustoleum comes in spray cans and also normal paint cans.

    Levelbest,

    Wet sanding will remove all impurities including air bubbles, dust
    nibs, overspray etc. Put on heavy coats, let it dry and then start a
    sand'in away. start with 800 grit then go to 1200. you can only get 800
    and up at an auto parts house, like checker auto.
  13. Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade.collecting (More info?)

    Hey B:

    Thanks for getting back to me. I guess my email isn't making it thru
    the filters.

    I found the 800 and 1200 finally online at amazon. I think they source
    thru an auto parts store. Highest Home Depot had was 600 grit and they
    looked at me funny when i started asking for 800 or 1200 grit (why
    would you need that?).

    Enjoy the tron artwork you won. I shipped it out today. Small World
    isn't it!
  14. Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade.collecting (More info?)

    Yeah, given the option, I probably would spray, but I don't currently
    have a compressor or sprayer and don't have a real workshop (per se)
    that I can afford to get spray paint all over. Working out of my
    garage which has a ton of other stuff in it (bikes, workbench,
    cabinets, christmas lights, lawnmower etc etc) and I fear if I did do
    the spray route, the whole place would be an ungodly mess! Maybe I am
    wrong. If I could, I'd probably take it to a body shop and have them
    do it, but the thought of getting tron back into the minivan doesn't
    sound appealing... nor does what they would probably charge me. Ben
    has me pretty convinced that the roller route with wet sanding could
    look darn good.

    Where have you all done your spray jobs?

    Also, it's tough to justify the cost since I am just doing one cabinet
    (cough, cough... I am sure you have heard that one before).
  15. Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade.collecting (More info?)

    I know for starters that Brian has been telling anyone and everyone to
    spray their cabinet till he's blue in the face. I followed his advice
    and the cabinets have always turned out great. Although I haven't yet
    used an oil based paint, I've stuck with a water based Latex. Now on
    the back side of the cabinet's I'll use a roller as appearance isn't
    as crucial. If you need a really smooth surface you really should
    spray if you have a compressor and the option is open to you.

    On 9 May 2005 15:14:06 -0700, "Levelbest" <john@mousehut.com> wrote:

    >Hey B:
    >
    >Thanks for getting back to me. I guess my email isn't making it thru
    >the filters.
    >
    >I found the 800 and 1200 finally online at amazon. I think they source
    >thru an auto parts store. Highest Home Depot had was 600 grit and they
    >looked at me funny when i started asking for 800 or 1200 grit (why
    >would you need that?).
    >
    >Enjoy the tron artwork you won. I shipped it out today. Small World
    >isn't it!

    Kineplex Systems of Lima, Ohio
    http://www.kineplex.com
  16. Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade.collecting (More info?)

    Other problem is, the pollen is terrible right now. I'd probably have
    to wait 3 more months before I could wheel it out without getting
    yellow dust all over it. My cars are a mess right now! Can't keep em
    clean. I have on the other hand been seriously cosidering getting a
    staple gun. Attaching molding etc would definately go easier. Such
    as the kickplate. On my tron, I think the original started coming
    off... which the owners put screws thru... then later 10 penny nails to
    hold it in place! The nails must have been 3-4 inches long!
  17. Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade.collecting (More info?)

    If it's an entire cabinet, I'll normally wheel it outside on a good
    dry windless day. If it's parts, I'll take a couple saw horses out
    into the yard and paint them individually outside. Sure the grass is
    a wierd color for a few weeks, but then it gets mowed. But your
    right, it will get on everything if you paint indoors. I've found my
    compressor invaluable as I can use it for painting as well as a staple
    gun to replace wood parts like old beaten up front panels or dragon
    lair marquees that had gotten sawed off. I actually think I've used
    it more for panel replacement than painting. But I've also used it
    for sandblasting metal parts as well. It comes in handy for just
    about any project.
    There is one project I think I would use a roller on, a Berzerk
    project where the exterior is purposely bubbled/crinkled.

    On 9 May 2005 20:12:47 -0700, "Levelbest" <john@mousehut.com> wrote:

    >Yeah, given the option, I probably would spray, but I don't currently
    >have a compressor or sprayer and don't have a real workshop (per se)
    >that I can afford to get spray paint all over. Working out of my
    >garage which has a ton of other stuff in it (bikes, workbench,
    >cabinets, christmas lights, lawnmower etc etc) and I fear if I did do
    >the spray route, the whole place would be an ungodly mess! Maybe I am
    >wrong. If I could, I'd probably take it to a body shop and have them
    >do it, but the thought of getting tron back into the minivan doesn't
    >sound appealing... nor does what they would probably charge me. Ben
    >has me pretty convinced that the roller route with wet sanding could
    >look darn good.
    >
    >Where have you all done your spray jobs?
    >
    >Also, it's tough to justify the cost since I am just doing one cabinet
    >(cough, cough... I am sure you have heard that one before).

    Kineplex Systems of Lima, Ohio
    http://www.kineplex.com
  18. Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade.collecting (More info?)

    What do I have to do to convince everyone that wet sanding after
    rolling on paint will produce an orginal appearance if not better.
  19. Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade.collecting (More info?)

    hows this people:

    now lets see whose smoother!

    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v205/bboldt3/Pacman%20Cabaret/26eb8288.jpg

    If any one needs more photos, let me know

    Ben
  20. Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade.collecting (More info?)

    Thanks for the photos Ben.... it does look pretty darn smooth.

    As far as wet sanding something with 5-10 coats of paint on there, I
    can't imagine doing any damage at all, unless you do something silly
    like let the water sit on there for an extended period of time. My dad
    when refinishing wood desks used to wet sand all the time and it always
    came out like glass. I would imagine Ben isn't steering us wrong and
    it's a viable alternative to spraying (esp. for those of us who simply
    can't do the spray job!).
  21. Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade.collecting (More info?)

    Yes the Tron molding definitely was secured originally with staples.
    As for pollen. Don't know, never ran into that problem before. With
    my Stargate project I wasn't real concerned about it being super
    smooth so I used a 3/16" pile roller. For Asteroids I ended up using
    spray, but later found that it looks like the Asteroids sideart covers
    the entire side so I'm a little divided if that was a waste of time.
    For a Tron, man that is like super smooth. I don't think rolling will
    work at all for the look of originality. It'll end up looking funny
    IMHO.

    On 10 May 2005 08:29:37 -0700, "Levelbest" <john@mousehut.com> wrote:

    >Other problem is, the pollen is terrible right now. I'd probably have
    >to wait 3 more months before I could wheel it out without getting
    >yellow dust all over it. My cars are a mess right now! Can't keep em
    >clean. I have on the other hand been seriously cosidering getting a
    >staple gun. Attaching molding etc would definately go easier. Such
    >as the kickplate. On my tron, I think the original started coming
    >off... which the owners put screws thru... then later 10 penny nails to
    >hold it in place! The nails must have been 3-4 inches long!

    Kineplex Systems of Lima, Ohio
    http://www.kineplex.com
  22. Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade.collecting (More info?)

    I'd love to see close up pictures at an angle of the finish..

    Personally, water is the last thing I want near my cabs after they are
    painted but I'm willing to try anything. My methods are pretty well
    documented and quite a few people have tried them, i'd love to see photos of
    your method as well. I've tried a good many things to paint cabs, but
    nothing has ever come *close* to what a good spray gun can do so far. Of
    course, everyones idea of what is acceptable is different.

    /b

    http://www.tutankham.com

    <bboldt3@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > What do I have to do to convince everyone that wet sanding after
    > rolling on paint will produce an orginal appearance if not better.

  23. Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade.collecting (More info?)

    not the best photo in the world, but based on gloss alone (can't tell
    texture from the pic :( I'd still say spraying is better.

    /b

    > hows this people:
    >
    > now lets see whose smoother!
    >
    > http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v205/bboldt3/Pacman%20Cabaret/26eb8288.jpg
    >
    > If any one needs more photos, let me know
    >
    > Ben

  24. Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade.collecting (More info?)

    probably make more hours in the day to actually spend the time wetsanding.

    plus.. wouldn't wet sanding produce the same result.. if not worse then
    using water, etc to apply side art stickers.

    especially considering you need much more water to wet sand then position
    adhesive vinyl. i bring that up because the overwhelming majority opposed
    using water due to potential wood damage.

    just a thought from experience spending DAYS wet sanding my mustang.

    k.

    <bboldt3@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > What do I have to do to convince everyone that wet sanding after
    > rolling on paint will produce an orginal appearance if not better.

  25. Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade.collecting (More info?)

    Maybe Ben can share how much time it took to actually wet sand both
    sides of the cabinet... but if you are going to get a super clean,
    super smooth surface, wont it be worth it in the long run if you plan
    on keeping the game anyway?
  26. Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade.collecting (More info?)

    I worked on the game for 2 months on and off. I would say 7-10 hours
    for wet sanding for the whole cabinet.
  27. Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade.collecting (More info?)

    It looks like the decal was applied great.

    On Tue, 10 May 2005 23:52:33 GMT, "prOk" <bsonej@hotmail.com> wrote:

    >not the best photo in the world, but based on gloss alone (can't tell
    >texture from the pic :( I'd still say spraying is better.
    >
    >/b
    >

    ><bboldt3@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >> hows this people:
    >>
    >> now lets see whose smoother!
    >>
    >> http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v205/bboldt3/Pacman%20Cabaret/26eb8288.jpg
    >>
    >> If any one needs more photos, let me know
    >>
    >> Ben

    Kineplex Systems of Lima, Ohio
    http://www.kineplex.com
  28. Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade.collecting (More info?)

    I can't possibly see how the amount of surface water needed to wet sand can
    possibly damage the cabinet... It takes days of exposure to really do
    damage to plywood (shorter for mdf).

    "Keith in NJ" <winner@soulshot.com> wrote in message
    > probably make more hours in the day to actually spend the time wetsanding.
    >
    > plus.. wouldn't wet sanding produce the same result.. if not worse then
    > using water, etc to apply side art stickers.
    >
    > especially considering you need much more water to wet sand then position
    > adhesive vinyl. i bring that up because the overwhelming majority opposed
    > using water due to potential wood damage.
    >
    > just a thought from experience spending DAYS wet sanding my mustang.
    >
    > k.
    >

    > <bboldt3@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >> What do I have to do to convince everyone that wet sanding after
    >> rolling on paint will produce an orginal appearance if not better.

  29. Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade.collecting (More info?)

    i'm just saying. mdf / presswood is like a sponge if you arent carefull
    and the water runs over the edge i'd be worried about swelling the
    tmolding area.

    i know it's not going to seep through the paint...i probably wasn't
    clear on that.
  30. Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade.collecting (More info?)

    Hey prOk,

    Can you please post a picture of one of your cabinets close up? I would
    like to see what yours look like.
  31. Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade.collecting (More info?)

    Brian,
    You mentioned using a standard gun, have you tried or do you have any
    thoughts on using an HVLP? I'm going to pick up a gun and want to get
    whatever works out best, I've seen the HVLP mentioned a few times.
    Jerry
  32. Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade.collecting (More info?)

    His games do look great!
  33. Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade.collecting (More info?)

    I guess we all have our own ways. Your collection is nice. Did you do
    anything with the orange peel on the DKJr? I appears to be wavy.
  34. Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade.collecting (More info?)

    Not true on the dig. Spraying makes alot of sense since that is how
    most cabinets were originally manufacured. I'm done too. Good luck with
    your TRON restoration. FYI: ANY paint will orange peel, when sprayed.
    Even rolls royces, when manufactured, do. new technology for the most
    part in painting equipment eliminates the waves. they just wet sand
    them to get rid of it. :-)

    Ben
  35. Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade.collecting (More info?)

    People can do what they want :) I am extremely particular, so what I see
    in those pics just wouldn't do for me personally. Especially on the satan's
    hollow, I see too much paint on the machine red areas (looks almost like a
    laminate has been applied) , paint on the tmolding, gloppy paint in the
    white, smudges from the red to the yellow.. I can mask off and spray an
    entire cabinet in about an hour. Painting 5 coats or more like you mention
    and the wait times in between etc plus hours and hours of sanding?? no
    thanks. The investment in a 200.00 sprayer/compressor kit is worth way more
    than spending 7 hours just sanding a cabinet when I can get a higher quality
    finish in 1 without waiting days in between.

    Everyone does what they can with what they have, but given the choice i'd
    spray it.

    /b

    > OK here's some better pics including some satan's hollow that was done
    > since black is not the easiest to capture close up! believe me or not,
    > up to You.
    >
    > http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v205/bboldt3/Pacman%20Cabaret/Picture020.jpg
    > http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v205/bboldt3/Pacman%20Cabaret/Picture018.jpg
    > http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v205/bboldt3/Pacman%20Cabaret/Picture017.jpg
    > http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v205/bboldt3/Pacman%20Cabaret/Picture016.jpg
    > http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v205/bboldt3/Pacman%20Cabaret/Picture018.jpg
    > http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v205/bboldt3/Pacman%20Cabaret/Picture017.jpg
    > http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v205/bboldt3/Pacman%20Cabaret/Picture016.jpg
    > http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v205/bboldt3/Pacman%20Cabaret/Picture009.jpg
    > http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v205/bboldt3/Pacman%20Cabaret/Picture010.jpg
    >
    > Ben

  36. Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade.collecting (More info?)

    Just go to his site at www.tutankham.com. Brian has never
    disappointed with helpful advice.

    On 11 May 2005 12:36:15 -0700, bboldt3@hotmail.com wrote:

    >Hey prOk,
    >
    >Can you please post a picture of one of your cabinets close up? I would
    >like to see what yours look like.

    Kineplex Systems of Lima, Ohio
    http://www.kineplex.com
  37. Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade.collecting (More info?)

    I have an hvlp gun that I use for specific purposes, such as spraying
    Lacquers. For general paint use, a standard duty gun will work fine.. An
    HVLP will reduce overspray significantly but also comes with a greater
    learning curve to avoid feathering and other paint flaws. HVLP guns are
    also generally in the 200.00 range, while the standard gun is around 50.00.
    I see the standard guns as pretty much disposable, while the HVLP is an
    investment.

    Also keep in mind, HVLP guns require a much larger compressor. You can get
    away with a 5 gallon pancake with a standard duty, while an hvlp will want
    at least 10-15 gallon.

    /brian

    "Jerry" <jpl_812@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > Brian,
    > You mentioned using a standard gun, have you tried or do you have any
    > thoughts on using an HVLP? I'm going to pick up a gun and want to get
    > whatever works out best, I've seen the HVLP mentioned a few times.
    > Jerry

  38. Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade.collecting (More info?)

    and what type of paint are you spraying in these? enamel?

    wonder what the local body shop would charge to spray a cabinet. i think
    i'll ask this weekend out of curiosity. i'm getting a compressor anyway
    because i'm goign to need one when we start doing the crown molding in my
    house.

    what a great excuse. :)
    honey you want that new crown molding right? welllllll....

    k.

    > I have an hvlp gun that I use for specific purposes, such as spraying
    > Lacquers. For general paint use, a standard duty gun will work fine.. An
    > HVLP will reduce overspray significantly but also comes with a greater
    > learning curve to avoid feathering and other paint flaws. HVLP guns are
    > also generally in the 200.00 range, while the standard gun is around
    50.00.
    > I see the standard guns as pretty much disposable, while the HVLP is an
    > investment.
    >
    > Also keep in mind, HVLP guns require a much larger compressor. You can
    get
    > away with a 5 gallon pancake with a standard duty, while an hvlp will want
    > at least 10-15 gallon.
    >
    > /brian
    >

    > "Jerry" <jpl_812@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > > Brian,
    > > You mentioned using a standard gun, have you tried or do you have any
    > > thoughts on using an HVLP? I'm going to pick up a gun and want to get
    > > whatever works out best, I've seen the HVLP mentioned a few times.
    > > Jerry

  39. Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade.collecting (More info?)

    Here's a pic of the side of a DK Junior:
    http://www.tutankham.com/images/dkjrshine.jpg

    You can make out my old Mouse Trap in the reflection in the paint :)

    /b

    > Hey prOk,
    >
    > Can you please post a picture of one of your cabinets close up? I would
    > like to see what yours look like.

  40. Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade.collecting (More info?)

    heh.. that was about as predictable of a statement as there ever has been.
    Of course there's no 'wave' in the paint as the surface is wood, it's not
    level as glass to start with and never will be.. thats kinda common sense..
    but of course, your only real point was to take a dig at anything you could.

    Tis ok, never meant to insult you. You do what you want and i'll move on
    from the topic. Everyone can make their own choices what they want to do.

    /b

    >I guess we all have our own ways. Your collection is nice. Did you do
    > anything with the orange peel on the DKJr? I appears to be wavy.

  41. Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade.collecting (More info?)

    I called the guys that did work on a 1991 Dodge Stealth of mine.
    Without them actually seeing it, they guessed around $250... which is
    kind of what I had figured.

Video Games