Repainting Arcade Cabinet

Tags:
  • Video Games
Last response: in Video Games
April 24, 2005 11:06:23 PM

I am restoring a Tron cabinet and have bought all the appropriate
graphics and overlays. Once I get all the artwork off, I plan to
repaint the cabinet. A few questions.

The orignal color is black. What kind of paint (brand, type etc.) will
best replicate the original look>? Gloss is too shiny. I have seen
semi gloss and semi flat... not sure which to go with.

Also, picked up a Wagner Power Painter Home to do the painting. Hoping
that will do the job.

If you have experience doing this sort of thing, I'd love to hear from
you.

Thanks!
JOHN

More about : repainting arcade cabinet

Anonymous
April 24, 2005 11:35:29 PM

what do better pro sprayers run? best brands?
Anonymous
April 24, 2005 11:45:28 PM

i uesd a roller to paint my galaga cab, and get a high quality roller
too dont buy the cheap roller to paint with.

but it was not super smooth so i lightly sanded it with some very very
fine sand paper and then repainted it with a 3" brush and it turned out
great.

and before i painted it with rust oleum satin black, I sanded it to
the plywood so the wood was super smooth and then primed it with killz
oil (oil cause the rustoloum is enamel oil based paint).

and waited 2 days to dry and then i applied the side and kick plate
art.

frank
April 25, 2005 1:38:13 AM

I forgot, I also wet sanded the cab after painting with 800 grit. Works
great.
April 25, 2005 6:10:00 AM

before you open that power painter, take it back. It won't work, a roller
will be better.

You are on the right track though, spraying is superior but do it with air
compressors and guns. Powerpainters just spit paint.

For tron, I tend to use a couple nice heavy coats of Rust Oleum Satin black.
it dries semi-shiny.. then you can finish it off with a semi gloss
polyurethane to get a really nice match to the original finish.

Good Luck!
/b

http://www.tutankham.com

"Levelbest" <john@mousehut.com> wrote in message
>I am restoring a Tron cabinet and have bought all the appropriate
> graphics and overlays. Once I get all the artwork off, I plan to
> repaint the cabinet. A few questions.
>
> The orignal color is black. What kind of paint (brand, type etc.) will
> best replicate the original look>? Gloss is too shiny. I have seen
> semi gloss and semi flat... not sure which to go with.
>
> Also, picked up a Wagner Power Painter Home to do the painting. Hoping
> that will do the job.
>
> If you have experience doing this sort of thing, I'd love to hear from
> you.
>
> Thanks!
> JOHN

Anonymous
April 25, 2005 6:22:25 AM

Do not use that power painter and I say that from experience. Use a roller
if you can't get a professional sprayer.

"Levelbest" <john@mousehut.com> wrote in message
>I am restoring a Tron cabinet and have bought all the appropriate
> graphics and overlays. Once I get all the artwork off, I plan to
> repaint the cabinet. A few questions.
>
> The orignal color is black. What kind of paint (brand, type etc.) will
> best replicate the original look>? Gloss is too shiny. I have seen
> semi gloss and semi flat... not sure which to go with.
>
> Also, picked up a Wagner Power Painter Home to do the painting. Hoping
> that will do the job.
>
> If you have experience doing this sort of thing, I'd love to hear from
> you.
>
> Thanks!
> JOHN

Anonymous
April 25, 2005 6:41:10 AM

I have never looked into it. It's a long shot but you might want to find
painters in your phone book and ask them how much to paint it. I use a high
quailty smooth finish roller and my cabs always look great.........

> what do better pro sprayers run? best brands?

April 25, 2005 6:43:39 AM

Get a standard duty gun at your local home improvement store.. they work
fine.

I put together this page long ago, but it should still help you a bit:
http://www.tutankham.com/painting.htm

/b

"Levelbest" <john@mousehut.com> wrote in message
> what do better pro sprayers run? best brands?

Anonymous
April 25, 2005 8:24:40 AM

I'm confused... are ou guys using spray enamel or latex paints? I
thought rustoleus was spray but if so then why would you use a roller?
Anonymous
April 25, 2005 10:01:35 AM

Rustoleum comes in spray cans and also normal paint cans.
Anonymous
April 25, 2005 11:21:18 AM

Use Rustoleum 7777 Satin Black spray paint. Lay the cabinet down flat and
put on several heavy coats. It'll come out perfect and toy don't need to buy
a spray gun.

-r-

"prOk" <bsonej@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> before you open that power painter, take it back. It won't work, a roller
> will be better.
>
> You are on the right track though, spraying is superior but do it with air
> compressors and guns. Powerpainters just spit paint.
>
> For tron, I tend to use a couple nice heavy coats of Rust Oleum Satin
> black. it dries semi-shiny.. then you can finish it off with a semi gloss
> polyurethane to get a really nice match to the original finish.
>
> Good Luck!
> /b
>
> http://www.tutankham.com
>
> "Levelbest" <john@mousehut.com> wrote in message
>>I am restoring a Tron cabinet and have bought all the appropriate
>> graphics and overlays. Once I get all the artwork off, I plan to
>> repaint the cabinet. A few questions.
>>
>> The orignal color is black. What kind of paint (brand, type etc.) will
>> best replicate the original look>? Gloss is too shiny. I have seen
>> semi gloss and semi flat... not sure which to go with.
>>
>> Also, picked up a Wagner Power Painter Home to do the painting. Hoping
>> that will do the job.
>>
>> If you have experience doing this sort of thing, I'd love to hear from
>> you.
>>
>> Thanks!
>> JOHN

Anonymous
May 9, 2005 6:26:22 PM

Levelbest wrote:
> Rustoleum comes in spray cans and also normal paint cans.

Levelbest,

Wet sanding will remove all impurities including air bubbles, dust
nibs, overspray etc. Put on heavy coats, let it dry and then start a
sand'in away. start with 800 grit then go to 1200. you can only get 800
and up at an auto parts house, like checker auto.
Anonymous
May 9, 2005 7:14:06 PM

Hey B:

Thanks for getting back to me. I guess my email isn't making it thru
the filters.

I found the 800 and 1200 finally online at amazon. I think they source
thru an auto parts store. Highest Home Depot had was 600 grit and they
looked at me funny when i started asking for 800 or 1200 grit (why
would you need that?).

Enjoy the tron artwork you won. I shipped it out today. Small World
isn't it!
Anonymous
May 10, 2005 12:12:47 AM

Yeah, given the option, I probably would spray, but I don't currently
have a compressor or sprayer and don't have a real workshop (per se)
that I can afford to get spray paint all over. Working out of my
garage which has a ton of other stuff in it (bikes, workbench,
cabinets, christmas lights, lawnmower etc etc) and I fear if I did do
the spray route, the whole place would be an ungodly mess! Maybe I am
wrong. If I could, I'd probably take it to a body shop and have them
do it, but the thought of getting tron back into the minivan doesn't
sound appealing... nor does what they would probably charge me. Ben
has me pretty convinced that the roller route with wet sanding could
look darn good.

Where have you all done your spray jobs?

Also, it's tough to justify the cost since I am just doing one cabinet
(cough, cough... I am sure you have heard that one before).
Anonymous
May 10, 2005 3:05:20 AM

I know for starters that Brian has been telling anyone and everyone to
spray their cabinet till he's blue in the face. I followed his advice
and the cabinets have always turned out great. Although I haven't yet
used an oil based paint, I've stuck with a water based Latex. Now on
the back side of the cabinet's I'll use a roller as appearance isn't
as crucial. If you need a really smooth surface you really should
spray if you have a compressor and the option is open to you.

On 9 May 2005 15:14:06 -0700, "Levelbest" <john@mousehut.com> wrote:

>Hey B:
>
>Thanks for getting back to me. I guess my email isn't making it thru
>the filters.
>
>I found the 800 and 1200 finally online at amazon. I think they source
>thru an auto parts store. Highest Home Depot had was 600 grit and they
>looked at me funny when i started asking for 800 or 1200 grit (why
>would you need that?).
>
>Enjoy the tron artwork you won. I shipped it out today. Small World
>isn't it!

Kineplex Systems of Lima, Ohio
http://www.kineplex.com
Anonymous
May 10, 2005 12:29:37 PM

Other problem is, the pollen is terrible right now. I'd probably have
to wait 3 more months before I could wheel it out without getting
yellow dust all over it. My cars are a mess right now! Can't keep em
clean. I have on the other hand been seriously cosidering getting a
staple gun. Attaching molding etc would definately go easier. Such
as the kickplate. On my tron, I think the original started coming
off... which the owners put screws thru... then later 10 penny nails to
hold it in place! The nails must have been 3-4 inches long!
Anonymous
May 10, 2005 2:58:44 PM

If it's an entire cabinet, I'll normally wheel it outside on a good
dry windless day. If it's parts, I'll take a couple saw horses out
into the yard and paint them individually outside. Sure the grass is
a wierd color for a few weeks, but then it gets mowed. But your
right, it will get on everything if you paint indoors. I've found my
compressor invaluable as I can use it for painting as well as a staple
gun to replace wood parts like old beaten up front panels or dragon
lair marquees that had gotten sawed off. I actually think I've used
it more for panel replacement than painting. But I've also used it
for sandblasting metal parts as well. It comes in handy for just
about any project.
There is one project I think I would use a roller on, a Berzerk
project where the exterior is purposely bubbled/crinkled.

On 9 May 2005 20:12:47 -0700, "Levelbest" <john@mousehut.com> wrote:

>Yeah, given the option, I probably would spray, but I don't currently
>have a compressor or sprayer and don't have a real workshop (per se)
>that I can afford to get spray paint all over. Working out of my
>garage which has a ton of other stuff in it (bikes, workbench,
>cabinets, christmas lights, lawnmower etc etc) and I fear if I did do
>the spray route, the whole place would be an ungodly mess! Maybe I am
>wrong. If I could, I'd probably take it to a body shop and have them
>do it, but the thought of getting tron back into the minivan doesn't
>sound appealing... nor does what they would probably charge me. Ben
>has me pretty convinced that the roller route with wet sanding could
>look darn good.
>
>Where have you all done your spray jobs?
>
>Also, it's tough to justify the cost since I am just doing one cabinet
>(cough, cough... I am sure you have heard that one before).

Kineplex Systems of Lima, Ohio
http://www.kineplex.com
Anonymous
May 10, 2005 7:18:30 PM

What do I have to do to convince everyone that wet sanding after
rolling on paint will produce an orginal appearance if not better.
Anonymous
May 10, 2005 9:13:19 PM
Anonymous
May 10, 2005 11:28:05 PM

Thanks for the photos Ben.... it does look pretty darn smooth.

As far as wet sanding something with 5-10 coats of paint on there, I
can't imagine doing any damage at all, unless you do something silly
like let the water sit on there for an extended period of time. My dad
when refinishing wood desks used to wet sand all the time and it always
came out like glass. I would imagine Ben isn't steering us wrong and
it's a viable alternative to spraying (esp. for those of us who simply
can't do the spray job!).
Anonymous
May 11, 2005 2:11:18 AM

Yes the Tron molding definitely was secured originally with staples.
As for pollen. Don't know, never ran into that problem before. With
my Stargate project I wasn't real concerned about it being super
smooth so I used a 3/16" pile roller. For Asteroids I ended up using
spray, but later found that it looks like the Asteroids sideart covers
the entire side so I'm a little divided if that was a waste of time.
For a Tron, man that is like super smooth. I don't think rolling will
work at all for the look of originality. It'll end up looking funny
IMHO.

On 10 May 2005 08:29:37 -0700, "Levelbest" <john@mousehut.com> wrote:

>Other problem is, the pollen is terrible right now. I'd probably have
>to wait 3 more months before I could wheel it out without getting
>yellow dust all over it. My cars are a mess right now! Can't keep em
>clean. I have on the other hand been seriously cosidering getting a
>staple gun. Attaching molding etc would definately go easier. Such
>as the kickplate. On my tron, I think the original started coming
>off... which the owners put screws thru... then later 10 penny nails to
>hold it in place! The nails must have been 3-4 inches long!

Kineplex Systems of Lima, Ohio
http://www.kineplex.com
May 11, 2005 2:53:52 AM

I'd love to see close up pictures at an angle of the finish..

Personally, water is the last thing I want near my cabs after they are
painted but I'm willing to try anything. My methods are pretty well
documented and quite a few people have tried them, i'd love to see photos of
your method as well. I've tried a good many things to paint cabs, but
nothing has ever come *close* to what a good spray gun can do so far. Of
course, everyones idea of what is acceptable is different.

/b

http://www.tutankham.com

<bboldt3@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> What do I have to do to convince everyone that wet sanding after
> rolling on paint will produce an orginal appearance if not better.

May 11, 2005 3:52:33 AM

not the best photo in the world, but based on gloss alone (can't tell
texture from the pic :(  I'd still say spraying is better.

/b

> hows this people:
>
> now lets see whose smoother!
>
> http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v205/bboldt3/Pacman%2...
>
> If any one needs more photos, let me know
>
> Ben

Anonymous
May 11, 2005 9:06:20 AM

probably make more hours in the day to actually spend the time wetsanding.

plus.. wouldn't wet sanding produce the same result.. if not worse then
using water, etc to apply side art stickers.

especially considering you need much more water to wet sand then position
adhesive vinyl. i bring that up because the overwhelming majority opposed
using water due to potential wood damage.

just a thought from experience spending DAYS wet sanding my mustang.

k.

<bboldt3@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> What do I have to do to convince everyone that wet sanding after
> rolling on paint will produce an orginal appearance if not better.

Anonymous
May 11, 2005 9:06:52 AM

Maybe Ben can share how much time it took to actually wet sand both
sides of the cabinet... but if you are going to get a super clean,
super smooth surface, wont it be worth it in the long run if you plan
on keeping the game anyway?
Anonymous
May 11, 2005 9:21:19 AM

I worked on the game for 2 months on and off. I would say 7-10 hours
for wet sanding for the whole cabinet.
Anonymous
May 11, 2005 2:51:45 PM

It looks like the decal was applied great.

On Tue, 10 May 2005 23:52:33 GMT, "prOk" <bsonej@hotmail.com> wrote:

>not the best photo in the world, but based on gloss alone (can't tell
>texture from the pic :(  I'd still say spraying is better.
>
>/b
>

><bboldt3@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> hows this people:
>>
>> now lets see whose smoother!
>>
>> http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v205/bboldt3/Pacman%2...
>>
>> If any one needs more photos, let me know
>>
>> Ben

Kineplex Systems of Lima, Ohio
http://www.kineplex.com
Anonymous
May 11, 2005 3:19:13 PM

I can't possibly see how the amount of surface water needed to wet sand can
possibly damage the cabinet... It takes days of exposure to really do
damage to plywood (shorter for mdf).

"Keith in NJ" <winner@soulshot.com> wrote in message
> probably make more hours in the day to actually spend the time wetsanding.
>
> plus.. wouldn't wet sanding produce the same result.. if not worse then
> using water, etc to apply side art stickers.
>
> especially considering you need much more water to wet sand then position
> adhesive vinyl. i bring that up because the overwhelming majority opposed
> using water due to potential wood damage.
>
> just a thought from experience spending DAYS wet sanding my mustang.
>
> k.
>

> <bboldt3@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> What do I have to do to convince everyone that wet sanding after
>> rolling on paint will produce an orginal appearance if not better.

May 11, 2005 3:30:19 PM

i'm just saying. mdf / presswood is like a sponge if you arent carefull
and the water runs over the edge i'd be worried about swelling the
tmolding area.

i know it's not going to seep through the paint...i probably wasn't
clear on that.
Anonymous
May 11, 2005 4:36:15 PM

Hey prOk,

Can you please post a picture of one of your cabinets close up? I would
like to see what yours look like.
May 11, 2005 4:47:08 PM

Brian,
You mentioned using a standard gun, have you tried or do you have any
thoughts on using an HVLP? I'm going to pick up a gun and want to get
whatever works out best, I've seen the HVLP mentioned a few times.
Jerry
Anonymous
May 11, 2005 5:33:32 PM

His games do look great!
Anonymous
May 11, 2005 8:50:52 PM

I guess we all have our own ways. Your collection is nice. Did you do
anything with the orange peel on the DKJr? I appears to be wavy.
Anonymous
May 11, 2005 9:19:01 PM

Not true on the dig. Spraying makes alot of sense since that is how
most cabinets were originally manufacured. I'm done too. Good luck with
your TRON restoration. FYI: ANY paint will orange peel, when sprayed.
Even rolls royces, when manufactured, do. new technology for the most
part in painting equipment eliminates the waves. they just wet sand
them to get rid of it. :-)

Ben
May 11, 2005 10:46:19 PM

People can do what they want :)  I am extremely particular, so what I see
in those pics just wouldn't do for me personally. Especially on the satan's
hollow, I see too much paint on the machine red areas (looks almost like a
laminate has been applied) , paint on the tmolding, gloppy paint in the
white, smudges from the red to the yellow.. I can mask off and spray an
entire cabinet in about an hour. Painting 5 coats or more like you mention
and the wait times in between etc plus hours and hours of sanding?? no
thanks. The investment in a 200.00 sprayer/compressor kit is worth way more
than spending 7 hours just sanding a cabinet when I can get a higher quality
finish in 1 without waiting days in between.

Everyone does what they can with what they have, but given the choice i'd
spray it.

/b

> OK here's some better pics including some satan's hollow that was done
> since black is not the easiest to capture close up! believe me or not,
> up to You.
>
> http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v205/bboldt3/Pacman%2...
> http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v205/bboldt3/Pacman%2...
> http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v205/bboldt3/Pacman%2...
> http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v205/bboldt3/Pacman%2...
> http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v205/bboldt3/Pacman%2...
> http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v205/bboldt3/Pacman%2...
> http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v205/bboldt3/Pacman%2...
> http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v205/bboldt3/Pacman%2...
> http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v205/bboldt3/Pacman%2...
>
> Ben

Anonymous
May 12, 2005 12:16:26 AM

Just go to his site at www.tutankham.com. Brian has never
disappointed with helpful advice.

On 11 May 2005 12:36:15 -0700, bboldt3@hotmail.com wrote:

>Hey prOk,
>
>Can you please post a picture of one of your cabinets close up? I would
>like to see what yours look like.

Kineplex Systems of Lima, Ohio
http://www.kineplex.com
May 12, 2005 3:18:39 AM

I have an hvlp gun that I use for specific purposes, such as spraying
Lacquers. For general paint use, a standard duty gun will work fine.. An
HVLP will reduce overspray significantly but also comes with a greater
learning curve to avoid feathering and other paint flaws. HVLP guns are
also generally in the 200.00 range, while the standard gun is around 50.00.
I see the standard guns as pretty much disposable, while the HVLP is an
investment.

Also keep in mind, HVLP guns require a much larger compressor. You can get
away with a 5 gallon pancake with a standard duty, while an hvlp will want
at least 10-15 gallon.

/brian

"Jerry" <jpl_812@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Brian,
> You mentioned using a standard gun, have you tried or do you have any
> thoughts on using an HVLP? I'm going to pick up a gun and want to get
> whatever works out best, I've seen the HVLP mentioned a few times.
> Jerry

Anonymous
May 12, 2005 3:18:40 AM

and what type of paint are you spraying in these? enamel?

wonder what the local body shop would charge to spray a cabinet. i think
i'll ask this weekend out of curiosity. i'm getting a compressor anyway
because i'm goign to need one when we start doing the crown molding in my
house.

what a great excuse. :)
honey you want that new crown molding right? welllllll....

k.

> I have an hvlp gun that I use for specific purposes, such as spraying
> Lacquers. For general paint use, a standard duty gun will work fine.. An
> HVLP will reduce overspray significantly but also comes with a greater
> learning curve to avoid feathering and other paint flaws. HVLP guns are
> also generally in the 200.00 range, while the standard gun is around
50.00.
> I see the standard guns as pretty much disposable, while the HVLP is an
> investment.
>
> Also keep in mind, HVLP guns require a much larger compressor. You can
get
> away with a 5 gallon pancake with a standard duty, while an hvlp will want
> at least 10-15 gallon.
>
> /brian
>

> "Jerry" <jpl_812@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> > Brian,
> > You mentioned using a standard gun, have you tried or do you have any
> > thoughts on using an HVLP? I'm going to pick up a gun and want to get
> > whatever works out best, I've seen the HVLP mentioned a few times.
> > Jerry

May 12, 2005 3:22:46 AM

Here's a pic of the side of a DK Junior:
http://www.tutankham.com/images/dkjrshine.jpg

You can make out my old Mouse Trap in the reflection in the paint :)

/b

> Hey prOk,
>
> Can you please post a picture of one of your cabinets close up? I would
> like to see what yours look like.

May 12, 2005 4:11:39 AM

heh.. that was about as predictable of a statement as there ever has been.
Of course there's no 'wave' in the paint as the surface is wood, it's not
level as glass to start with and never will be.. thats kinda common sense..
but of course, your only real point was to take a dig at anything you could.

Tis ok, never meant to insult you. You do what you want and i'll move on
from the topic. Everyone can make their own choices what they want to do.

/b

>I guess we all have our own ways. Your collection is nice. Did you do
> anything with the orange peel on the DKJr? I appears to be wavy.

Anonymous
May 12, 2005 12:22:40 PM

I called the guys that did work on a 1991 Dodge Stealth of mine.
Without them actually seeing it, they guessed around $250... which is
kind of what I had figured.
!