keyboard producing wrong characters in XP

May 3, 2005 1:55:27 AM

Hi

I have a Sony VAIO laptop running Windows XP. I was using it last night
when, without warning, some of the keys started to produce wrong
characters when typing. These errors are consistent in all programs
when running XP, except that I can log on with a password that uses
some of the affected keys when I turn on the laptop (but not after
hibernation) and all the keys work consistently accurately if I use a
text editor when logged on in Safe mode... suggesting it isn't a
hardware fault but something that's corrupted in XP itself.

I have tried the following without success: uninstalling the keyboard
drivers via the Device Manager; installing new copies of i8042prt.sys,
kbdclass.sys and isapnp.sys from another Windows XP machine; and
booting after running MSConfig and selecting Diagnostic Startup.

Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks

Badger

--
Badger
May 3, 2005 1:55:28 AM

This may sound real stupid...but have you verified you don't have your pad
lock on and your function keys are at work?

-Jon

"Badger" wrote:

> Hi
>
> I have a Sony VAIO laptop running Windows XP. I was using it last night
> when, without warning, some of the keys started to produce wrong
> characters when typing. These errors are consistent in all programs
> when running XP, except that I can log on with a password that uses
> some of the affected keys when I turn on the laptop (but not after
> hibernation) and all the keys work consistently accurately if I use a
> text editor when logged on in Safe mode... suggesting it isn't a
> hardware fault but something that's corrupted in XP itself.
>
> I have tried the following without success: uninstalling the keyboard
> drivers via the Device Manager; installing new copies of i8042prt.sys,
> kbdclass.sys and isapnp.sys from another Windows XP machine; and
> booting after running MSConfig and selecting Diagnostic Startup.
>
> Any help would be appreciated!
>
> Thanks
>
> Badger
>

> --
> Badger

Anonymous
May 3, 2005 1:55:28 AM

Have you checked the "Regions and Language" option in the Control Panel.

"Badger" <Badger.1ofh1n@pcbanter.net> wrote in message

> Hi
>
> I have a Sony VAIO laptop running Windows XP. I was using it last night
> when, without warning, some of the keys started to produce wrong
> characters when typing. These errors are consistent in all programs
> when running XP, except that I can log on with a password that uses
> some of the affected keys when I turn on the laptop (but not after
> hibernation) and all the keys work consistently accurately if I use a
> text editor when logged on in Safe mode... suggesting it isn't a
> hardware fault but something that's corrupted in XP itself.
>
> I have tried the following without success: uninstalling the keyboard
> drivers via the Device Manager; installing new copies of i8042prt.sys,
> kbdclass.sys and isapnp.sys from another Windows XP machine; and
> booting after running MSConfig and selecting Diagnostic Startup.
>
> Any help would be appreciated!
>
> Thanks
>
> Badger
>

> --
> Badger
Anonymous
May 3, 2005 1:55:28 AM

Badger wrote:
> Hi
>
> I have a Sony VAIO laptop running Windows XP. I was using it last night
> when, without warning, some of the keys started to produce wrong
> characters when typing. These errors are consistent in all programs
> when running XP, except that I can log on with a password that uses
> some of the affected keys when I turn on the laptop (but not after
> hibernation) and all the keys work consistently accurately if I use a
> text editor when logged on in Safe mode... suggesting it isn't a
> hardware fault but something that's corrupted in XP itself.
>
> I have tried the following without success: uninstalling the keyboard
> drivers via the Device Manager; installing new copies of i8042prt.sys,
> kbdclass.sys and isapnp.sys from another Windows XP machine; and
> booting after running MSConfig and selecting Diagnostic Startup.
>
> Any help would be appreciated!
>
> Thanks
>
> Badger

Have you tried turning off the NumLock, and verifying the correct
language settings in the Control Panel's Regional and Language Options?

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm