I'm looking for a powerful laptop which must be capable of rendering 3D animation in Autodesk 3D Studio Max. I will also use several Adobe programs and it will be used for photo editing and such. For simplicity I've used a form I saw in a couple of other treads here.
1. What is your budget?
I would like it if you could tell me how much I should spend to get a laptop that will last at least 3 years and do what it's supposed to do efficiently.
2. What is the size of the notebook that you are considering?
Not too big, not too small, I value the portable aspect of the laptop. Say about 15", maybe?
3. What screen resolution do you want?
I don't know, man. As it will be used for photo editing and such I guess it should have decent color fidelity and such, but other than that I don't really know.
4. Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop?
5. How much battery life do you need?
I will probably have access to an outlet most of the time, so I don't really have to worry about the battery when looking for a laptop. But of course, the more the better, it doesn't hurt anyone (except maybe my wallet).
6. Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games. (Low,Medium or High)?
You don't need to take games into the consideration.
7. What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? (Photo/Video editing, Etc.)
Like you probably know by know it will be used mainly for photo/video editing and 3D rendering.
8. How much storage (Hard Drive capacity) do you need?
I do have an external HDD I can use, so I'm not limited to the internal HDD. What I'd like to know is if I should get and SSD or not. Is it worth the extra cash?
9. If you are considering specific sites to buy from, please post their links.
Just link to whatever site you want, the price at that exact site does not matter, what matters is the brand and model. What they cost in Norway I can find out by myself.
10. How long do you want to keep your laptop?
At least 3 years.
11. What kind of Optical drive do you need? DVD ROM/Writer,Bluray ROM/Writer,Etc ?
Don't need any DVD/Blu-Ray drives.
12. Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons.
13. What country do you live in?
14. Please tell us any additional information if needed.
I guess you are right, I probably should have asked a lot of the questions and gotten a certain knowledge of what I need before asking here. I think I'll google and ask a little more around, before maybe returning to THW and ask for more specific recommendations. But thanks for your answer and rough price estimation =)
if you really want to go the Laptop direction instead of cheap laptop and good desktop all you really would want is a good i7, 8-16gb ram and i would strongly recommend a SSD.
if you went desktop route with a cheap laptop your cost would be:
laptop 400 USD
desktop 700 USD + monitor,keyboard, and mouse. thats not with a GPU as you could cut that cost from the desktop as on my computer h300 graphics are just as fast in 10 mil poly count scenes as my 6950.