How do I find what programs automatically start whenever I start Windows XP
Home Edition? It takes my HP Pavilion pc about 5 minutes to finally quit
have too many programs which load on startup & I would like to eliminate
some of them. Thanks for any help offered.

Road_Runner

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2003

If you go to the following >> start >> run >> and type msconfig >> click ok
>>> select the startup tab and just remove the check mark of the programs
you would like to stop

"blueleader" <yagerj@cox.net> wrote in message
> How do I find what programs automatically start whenever I start Windows
> XP Home Edition? It takes my HP Pavilion pc about 5 minutes to finally
> quit loading and I have access to my desktop. I think it takes so long
> because I have too many programs which load on startup & I would like to
> eliminate some of them. Thanks for any help offered.

Chuck

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2001

On Mon, 2 May 2005 20:40:15 -0500, "blueleader" <*email_address_deleted*> wrote:

>How do I find what programs automatically start whenever I start Windows XP
>Home Edition? It takes my HP Pavilion pc about 5 minutes to finally quit
>have too many programs which load on startup & I would like to eliminate
>some of them. Thanks for any help offered.

(Start - Run -) MSConfig is a standard component in Windows, and will provide
you with a basic list. A more complete, and better organised, display can be
had with Autoruns (free) from
<http://www.sysinternals.com/ntw2k/freeware/autoruns.shtml>.

--
Cheers,
Chuck

Thanks for the info.

"Chuck" <none@example.net> wrote in message
> On Mon, 2 May 2005 20:40:15 -0500, "blueleader" <*email_address_deleted*>
> wrote:
>
>>How do I find what programs automatically start whenever I start Windows
>>XP
>>Home Edition? It takes my HP Pavilion pc about 5 minutes to finally quit
>>have too many programs which load on startup & I would like to eliminate
>>some of them. Thanks for any help offered.
>
> (Start - Run -) MSConfig is a standard component in Windows, and will
> provide
> you with a basic list. A more complete, and better organised, display can
> be
> had with Autoruns (free) from
> <http://www.sysinternals.com/ntw2k/freeware/autoruns.shtml>.
>
> --
> Cheers,
> Chuck
> http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/
> Paranoia is not necessarily a bad thing - it comes from experience.
> My email is AT DOT
> actual address pchuck sonic net.

Road_Runner

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2003

You're welcome !

blueleader wrote:
> How do I find what programs automatically start whenever I start Windows XP
> Home Edition? It takes my HP Pavilion pc about 5 minutes to finally quit
> have too many programs which load on startup & I would like to eliminate
> some of them. Thanks for any help offered.

In most cases, with "well-mannered" applications, it's usually as
simple as opening the undesired program and deselecting the option to
"display icon in the system tray" or to "start when Windows starts."

Additionally, Look in the C:\Documents and Settings\All
Users\Start Menu\Programs\Start Up and C:\Documents and
Settings\username\Start Menu\Programs\Start Up folders, and in the
system registry, primarily in the
HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run and
HKCU\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run keys.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;310560

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

both at once. - RAH

Chuck

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2001

On Tue, 3 May 2005 12:11:13 -0500, "blueleader" <*email_address_deleted*> wrote:

>Thanks for the info.

YW. Please let us know if we can help further.