Interesting Konami TMNT question

Sorry this post went so long, I guess I rambled. bear with me! Firstly, off
topic...
I built my first MAME cab this past month for a whopping $83. It's not
pretty, but it functions:

http://www.dwarchive.net/arcade3.jpg (yes, still a little unfinished)

For those that care, the cab was free (old gutted Centipede cab, I think),
the old 19" PC monitor was $12, the Happs controls were $52 or so (shipping
included), and the rest was spent on odds and ends like joypads and the
innards (Pentium III 600 overlocked to 720Mhz, with 256 ram and 45GB
hardrive). I was forced to skip the trackball setup due to space issues (and
not wanting to rebuuild the whole water-damaged cab for a bigger control
panel).

Now, I told my step-brother I'd make him one as well, thinking his would be
a similar design. I even went so far as to order (and recieve) the Happs
controls, built a very similar PIII 600Mhz system, and planned on calling my
source for old cab shells... then I found it.

I went into the thrift store about 10 minutes before they closed to hunt for
ebay items, as I so often do. In the back room they had two beautiful shape
arcades! One was Mr. Do!; it worked (the worker there bragged that he fixed
it after tinkering inside for 2 hours, after which the manager slapped a
$250 tag on it instead of the $100 price it previously sported) though the
screen was badly out of alignment. The other was the original Konami TMNT
4-player arcade... aside from some slight wearing/chipping on the corners of
the control panel's paint, it was gorgeous. It was also $150, becuase the
guy "couldn't get it working." Long story short, I bought it. I picked it up
and brought it home the next day. After TURNING ON THE SWITCH (lol) the game
came right on and worked perfect. The screen needed a little alignment (I'm
sure the guy twisted a few things thinking he was "fixing" it) but that was
easy to cure. The only imperfection now is a light/dark issue caused by a
bad cap; I'm ordering a cap kit and getting that done ASAP. The kids have
been playing it all weekend.... ignoring my MAME arcade :p Well, I guess I
understand why.

My question is this: I bought it first thinking it was broken, and it would
be the ULTIMATE easy MAME arcade conversion- just add some buttons, paint
it, and wire everything up. It never occurred to me I'd get it working 100%
so easily. The inside is even cleaner than the outside, if you can believe
it... it's truly "virgin." Never been hacked up, rewired... even had some
spare (new) coin return parts inside for replacements. I'm having a hard
time with the idea of hacking it all up for a MAME conversion. It's sort of
like using a perfectly working classic car for parts :p I could dump the
PCB and marquee on ebay for about $40-$50, maybe more if I included some of
the other bits and peices I strip off.... or I could try selling the whole
thing and just buy a very nice cheap empty shell that would be more "humane"
to MAME-ize ;) I only worry that with local pickup only here in Utah
(shipping's pretty much out of the question) I won't get very much for it.
In that case, I might as well use it for MAME... see my dillemma?

I welcome any and all opinions. And offers, I guess, though that wasn't
really the point of this.
TIA!

CharredPC

Hi,

First of all,where are you located?
I'm trying to build a TMNT 4 Player game for my
4 year old. I already have a TMNT board & Marquee
but a cabinet would help a lot. If you decide to
part it out for a Mame cab, I'm interested in the
4 player control panel along with the auxilary
harnesses that go to player 3 & 4.
Let me know via e-mail,thanx.

That is not a Centipede cab. It's a Sega, like one used for Zaxxon, etc.
http://tinyurl.com/d684y

-r-

"CharredPC" <noone@nowhere.com> wrote in message
> [...]
> really the point of this.
> TIA!
>
> CharredPC

> like using a perfectly working classic car for parts :p I could dump
the
> PCB and marquee on ebay for about $40-$50, maybe more if I included
some of
> the other bits and peices I strip off.... or I could try selling the
whole
> thing and just buy a very nice cheap empty shell that would be more
"humane"
> to MAME-ize ;) I only worry that with local pickup only here in Utah
> (shipping's pretty much out of the question) I won't get very much
for it.
> In that case, I might as well use it for MAME... see my dillemma?
>
> I welcome any and all opinions. And offers, I guess, though that

Well, here's your situation. Assuming its a 25inch dedicated 4 player
TMNT its worth somewhere in the $300 - $500 range. Closer to $300 for
Auction or 'Collector' pricing, $500 (or more) for Retail or E-bay,
etc.

In a perfect world I'd recommend selling it and buying a more suitable
cabinet, ie a big Dynamo with a flippable monitor (vertical/horizontal)
or something like that. But i'm assuming you don't have any auctions in
your area and since selling it for a reasonable price might be an issue
-- this may not work.

But if there's any chance of doing that, i'd say get a more suitable
cabinet and (hopefully) make a profit in the process. Its got a big
control panel so you've got quite a few options as far as what you want
to do with it if you decide to mame it up. Even though TMNT isn't a
'classic' in most people's eyes, i'm sure there are quite a few people
out there who'd love to have a nice dedicated one.. but they're
probably not local and ultimately its fate is up to you.

= numsix
= http://www.villagebbs.com

Wow, that's a cool find! As the other people said, it's ultimately
going to be up to you what happens to it (unless you happen to live
near Michigan then I'd be interested in it). TMNT isn't considered
"classic" by everyone but some people (me included) love that game. My
advice would be to leave it alone since it's working and sell it to
someone that wants a dedicated TMNT. You'll be able to find a gutted 4
player cab somewhere if you look. I just hate to see any working cab
gutted and Mamed, especially if you were going to paint over the
artwork. Good luck with whatever you do and congrats on the find. If
you happen to be near Michigan feel free to shoot me an email.

CharredPC wrote:
> [...]
hard
> time with the idea of hacking it all up for a MAME conversion. It's
sort of
> like using a perfectly working classic car for parts :p I could dump
the
> PCB and marquee on ebay for about $40-$50, maybe more if I included
some of
> the other bits and peices I strip off.... or I could try selling the
whole
> thing and just buy a very nice cheap empty shell that would be more
"humane"
> to MAME-ize ;) I only worry that with local pickup only here in Utah
> (shipping's pretty much out of the question) I won't get very much
for it.
> In that case, I might as well use it for MAME... see my dillemma?
>
> I welcome any and all opinions. And offers, I guess, though that

Whoops I just read the initial post carefully. Utah is just a tad to
far to drive :( Oh well. As I said, good luck with that machine. Makes
me think I should hit up the local thrift stores more often.

Thanks for all your guys' feedback!

I think I'm going to order/install the cap kit and wait till then to decide.
I wanted to put an ad in the paper for other reasons; maybe I can sell it
there for a profit and buy a decent 4-player cab shell from somewhere. It's
hard to walk away from this huge 25" screen and great condition cab.... I
considered doing a bit of modification to keep the jamma board and original
wiring playable via a switch- but the outside would still be painted, which
'ruins' the authentic look. And I'd still have to add buttons... grr.

Well, I'll keep pondering on it. Again, thanks for your input all!

CharredPC