Sign in with
Your question

Cannot remote registry windows 7

Last response: in Business Computing
August 3, 2012 1:32:24 PM

Hello,

I need to remote registry a Win 7 client, which is not attached to a DC.

I can ping it, and have the username / pass, but alas, I can't 'find' the computer from the MMC.

When I 'Check Names', I enter \\<computer name> from the MMC, and it is not found each time.

I need to do this so I can enable RDP and edit the firewall from the command line.

The target Win7 machine is in a comms room in another country, and I've nobody there to enable RDP for me, so I may launch our in-house application.

We have no NAT / VPN issues in the way, but it is in another subnet, the other side of a long-haul link.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

More about : remote registry windows

August 5, 2012 7:49:00 PM

eriko said:
Hello,

I can ping it, and have the username / pass, but alas, I can't 'find' the computer from the MMC.

When I 'Check Names', I enter \\<computer name> from the MMC, and it is not found each time.

I need to do this so I can enable RDP and edit the firewall from the command line.

The target Win7 machine is in a comms room in another country, and I've nobody there to enable RDP for me, so I may launch our in-house application.

We have no NAT / VPN issues in the way, but it is in another subnet, the other side of a long-haul link.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

Good Reason for flying over there :pt1cable: 

i can recommend a few booking sites :) 

you need either someone open ports for you on the windows firewall / disable it.
or connect you with a remote control software like teamviewer
a c 372 $ Windows 7
August 17, 2012 3:01:22 PM

eriko said:
Hello,

Any ideas?

Thanks.

If you can ping it just connect by IP instead of name. It's probably a DNS or another name resolution issue which is why you can't get to it by PC name. Are you using regedit or something else to try to connect?

Can you connect to the local C$ share of the computer?
!