Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Closed

How To Make USB Drive Bootable From ISO Image

Tags:
  • Configuration
  • How To
  • ISO
  • USB Drive
  • Windows 8
Last response: in Windows 8
Share
August 21, 2012 9:27:20 AM

Hello everyone,

Can anyone inform me of the steps I may take to make my USB drive bootable from an ISO image?

Thanks!

More about : make usb drive bootable iso image

a b * Windows 8
August 21, 2012 11:11:23 AM

Go through this thread,
http://www.bootdisk.com/pendrive.htm

Although the process differs for individual OS'es. Depending on which OS ISO you have and you want it to be on the USB stick, we could provide you a solution.
Be a little more specific.
Score
0
Related resources
August 23, 2012 8:29:55 PM

Actually, the easiest method is to use the Windows7 USB/DVD Tool from Microsoft. Put your thumb drive in a USB port, run the tool, point it to where your ISO file is, and it will format the drive and make it bootable.

Now that's the first part. The next step you have to do is to reboot your system and carefully look for the key you need to press to change your boot options (usually, it's the ESC key, but yours may differ- keep rebooting until you figure it out). Once you've pressed the magic key, select HDD and then select the USB drive you used.

That's it!

PS- You can also change your boot order in the BIOS, but why go through that trouble when you only need to do it this one time?

PPS- Since you're probably doing this to install an OS, when the PC reboots the first time during setup, remove the USB drive.
Score
0
September 4, 2012 9:57:55 AM

You can download win to bootic search for it on google just put the os files in you pendrive drive and launch win to bootic follow the onscreen instructions very easy to use and its the best so far no need for iso extract it and just put the files I promise it will work it works for me all the time no lie
Score
0
February 7, 2013 8:51:24 AM

http://wintoflash.com/home/en/ here is solution for your problem u all have here, watch tutorial download it and make your usb bootable. U only need usb bigger than 4GB because OS is max 3,7GB so u need empty USB of 4GB or more, u need deamon tools to make a virtual cd so win2flash can rekognize OS aln folow the steps on tutorial od win2flash and u will be over for 15 minutes
Score
0
February 7, 2013 11:10:22 AM

guys, guys, guys...while the solutions you proffer will work, they require too much work to get working! the simplest and easiest way to complete this task is the Win7 DVD/USB Tool. I don't recall if you even have to install the thing to get it working.

but, this method will only work for Windows OS's. I could make a USB drive bootable via CLI and have it done faster than any of these other methods (especially when you consider having to download, install, configure, and then run through the process).
Score
0

Best solution

February 7, 2013 11:26:06 AM

http://www.isotousb.com

Download it, run it. Point it to the ISO. Click make bootable. Done.
Note that this is only for making bootable Windows USB sticks for repairing or reinstalling your OS.

If you plan on installing Linux from it, I'd recommend using Rufus. It's basically the exact same tool but compatible with other ISO's than just Windows. http://www.softpedia.com/get/System/Boot-Manager-Disk/R...
Share
November 27, 2013 7:15:33 PM

Great choice man... thanks for sharing this.. Best iso to usb program ive used so far..


mcnumpty23 said:
this is the best way i have found

and it does windows,linux,etc

and can also do multiboot so more than one iso can be added

http://www.pendrivelinux.com/yumi-multiboot-usb-creator...


Score
0
January 26, 2014 10:27:17 PM

Pen Drive Linux is an awesome tool, the link is already posted here, I'm just chiming in. It can install more than one OS from multiple iso files on a flash drive. Extremely useful if you dual or triple boot like I do. Ubuntu 12.10, Windows 7, Windows 8.
Score
0
January 30, 2014 12:47:15 PM

mcnumpty23 said:
this is the best way i have found

and it does windows,linux,etc

and can also do multiboot so more than one iso can be added

http://www.pendrivelinux.com/yumi-multiboot-usb-creator...


I too like to thank you for this information, I have being trying for a day to make a USB bootable from a non standard ISO Linux... and this helped! :)  Thanks again!
Score
0
April 4, 2014 6:56:43 AM

igor254 said:
http://wintoflash.com/home/en/ here is solution for your problem u all have here, watch tutorial download it and make your usb bootable. U only need usb bigger than 4GB because OS is max 3,7GB so u need empty USB of 4GB or more, u need deamon tools to make a virtual cd so win2flash can rekognize OS aln folow the steps on tutorial od win2flash and u will be over for 15 minutes


Why not write a version in English for those of us who don't know what ANY of these things are?
Score
0
August 30, 2014 11:34:36 AM

Apanzee said:
http://www.isotousb.com
Download it, run it. Point it to the ISO. Click make bootable. Done.
Note that this is only for making bootable Windows USB sticks for repairing or reinstalling your OS.


Thanks, this solution worked for me (windows) and the software is lightweight and straight forward. Files from the ISO were not copied automatically though, I had to do it manually once the USB key was made bootable.

NewbieTechGodII said:
guys, guys, guys...while the solutions you proffer will work, they require too much work to get working! the simplest and easiest way to complete this task is the Win7 DVD/USB Tool. I don't recall if you even have to install the thing to get it working.

Didn't work for me, this tool didn't detect my 30Gb Sandisk USB Drive, which was correctly detected and formated by isotosub.
Score
0
August 31, 2014 1:45:58 PM

Hi Lourson!

I'm glad I was able to help, and that you were still able to copy your files. I personally keep all my documents and media on a separate, external hard drive and reinstall my OS every six to eight months, to keep things fresh.

Ninite is a website that allows you to download almost every application you could ever need, all in one go. With separate media storage, and Ninite's assistance, the whole process takes roughly 1.5 hours.

If you ever need to install Linux from a flash drive, try my above mentioned link to a tool called 'Rufus' which functions in almost the exact same way as ISOtoUSB. Pendrivelinux is a worthy mention here as well.
Score
0
September 2, 2014 11:44:51 AM

Excellent, I didn't knew about Ninite, I'll give it a try. I tend to avoid those kind of tools in the past as they are often scams trying to install something else on your machine. If Ninite is actually a legit software, then that's a great things to know!
Score
0
!