Change default Install Path

Status
Not open for further replies.

skrapptocs

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2003
Is there any way to change the default install path? Right now it is set to the program files folder of my windows partition. I want it to be set to a different partition. Thanks in advance for your help.

I'm too unimaginative to think of a good quote.

khha4113

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
In my experience, the Program Files is better left as its default location or Windows can be messed up especially for Microsoft programs (Internet Explorer, Office,etc.). You can install other programs at your desired locations.

:smile: Good or Bad have no meaning at all, depends on what your point of view is.

xyz

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2002
You can use <A HREF="http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/home/downloads/powertoys.asp" target="_new">Tweak UI</A> to change the location of system folders without bothering to edit the Registry manually. See the <A HREF="http://www.freewebs.com/mubashar/tweakui.htm" target="_new">Screen Shot</A> for how to do it.

Though Tweak UI has the setting for changing the location of system folders, it is best to leave them in their default location. Almost all the programs allow you to insall them wherever you want during their installation.

<b><font color=red><i>"All delays are dangerous in war."</b></font color=red></i>

G

I, my self, have had the need to use this, so I shall not waste time asking about your reasons. All I want you to know, is that you should use this, only if you really know what you are doing, because this might mess up winxp to a certain degree.

Good luck.

1. Navigate to:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion
2. Find ProgramFilesDir whose default should be C:\Program Files
3. Change this to whatever directory you wish. I changed it to D:\Program Files for example.

Status
Not open for further replies.