Win7 Ulimate Downgrade 64 bit to 32 bit

tjlmbklr

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2010
Why would I want to do this you ask? I just recently just reimaged my laptop from lack of maintenance from my wife's use and a bad virus issue. I decided since I am running 64 bit on my HTPC I would use it (multi-license) on my laptop too. I am less then pleased with my performance and think my Dual core 1.8Ghz AMD w/ 2 GB RAM would be best to utilize 32 bit like it was before.

So if I popped my 32 bit version in and just did an upgrade will my documents/pictures and programs I spent the greater part of yesterday loading still be there?

Thanks in advance.

windows7guy

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2010
Hello tjlmbklr,
You cannot downgrade from any higher SKU to a lower one just by using a key. You will need to do a full reformat since there's no option for downgrading, only upgrading (via Windows Anytime Upgrade). You however can still save profiles and settings by using Windows Easy Transfer, but unfortunately, you will need to reinstall all softwares you're using.
Hope this helps.

Thanks,
John M
Microsoft Windows Client Team

JessicaD

Distinguished
May 4, 2009

In order to move from a 64-bit os to 32-bit you will need to perform a clean install. To learn more about the differences to 32-bit vs. 64-bit architecture, please go here: http://bit.ly/oj1fV

Jessica
Microsoft Windows Client Team

tjlmbklr

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2010
Well, what I ended up doing was backing up my critical and personal files. Then I ran the 32bit disc. What happens is Windows actually keeps ALL you old files in a folder named Windows.old

Thanks for the help