Chance missed to change mobo design?

david__t

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2003
I am suprised that after concentrating on lower temps with the drive to BTX that they didn't really think about the graphics card much.

The way temperatures are going I think it would have been very beneficial to have as much as 2 slots room next to the GPU for cooling before the next PCIe slots start. I know that many people do not have many add on cards at all with loads of stuff coming onboard nowadays and therefore they can afford to use up some of the slot space for cooling but there are many others like me who have a full complement of add on cards that would appreciate a bit more room for GPU cooling.

We already saw a problem when the dual slot cooling methods came out on the Geforce FX cards and this is only going to get worse as the temps go up.

Essentially, the GPU is nearly as bad as a CPU in terms of power consumption / heat dissipation but the cooling solutions have not kept pace with this so that we now have very loud examples as funnily demoed in the GeforceFX video posted by Tom last year.

I would like the option of a quiet cooling solution without invalidating the card warranty or paying for a very expensive Zalman card cooler for example.

I think that websites should champion quiet computing more and I welcomed the focus on watercooling from Tom the other day - clearly the manufacturers realise that there is a market for quiet cooling solutions.

Rant over :) (Too many years sat next to a jet engine - remember the FOP38? bleeding ears for sure - Delta have a lot to answer for :)

4.77MHz to 4.0GHz in 10 years. Imagine the space year 2020 :)

scottchen

Splendid
Jun 3, 2003
Well watercooling isn't exactly that expensive, my friend built one for about 120 bucks canadian. For CPU/VGA.

<A HREF="http://www.ebaumsworld.com/celebgay.html" target="_new">click here now!!</A>

<A HREF="http://www.ebaumsworld.com/epilepsyr.shtml" target="_new">DON'T CLICK HERE!!</A>

DonnieDarko

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2004
ummmm 10 years ago processors where alot faster than 4.77mhz and the only people to hit 4ghz are extreme o/cers :wink:

AMD64 2800+
MSI Neo-Fis2r
512mb Kingmax ddr400
Sapphire 9800pro 128mb
10K WD Raptor

coolsquirtle

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2003
well that's if u buy everything and assemble it. Kits are expensive like KRAZY! I'm thinking going water cooling on my next upgrade

P4 3.4( when they are at <300$)
BTX mobo (might as well)
6800PCI-EX (the cheap one)
DDR-2 (the cheap ones)
SATA HDD

ya... that's about it.. i'm not getting it for another year or so though.....except HDD and its running out...

RIP Block Heater....HELLO P4~~~~~
120% nVidia Fanboy+119% Money Fanboy
GeForce 6800 Ultra--> The Way we thought FX 5800Ultra is meant to be played
THGC's resident Asian and nVboy :D

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
You're backwards. Or rather, look at the cards, they point the other way now, the GPU/VPU cooler should be facing toward the CPU area, not towards another card!

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

Zeekfu

Distinguished
May 30, 2004
totally 100% agree with crashman...heat rises...so why the heck is the gpu on the bottome of the card??? put it on the top then pipe the heat out the back of the case as per the HIS vga arctic cooling solution.... How many engineers does it take to change a lightbulb????????

as far as I can see from a layman's viewpoint the only thing it would take is for the case makers to make another empty slot over the agp slot for venting...then the video card makers just make the cards "upside down" what's the big woop?

<font color=black>yippie ki ya, m..........<font color=black>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
I always wondered why nobody made a card with the GPU on the top side. But with a BTX upside down, heat rises from the sink toward the card like with ATX, but get this: Fans work better blowing than sucking, if you had the card with GPU on top you'd have a fan blowing warm air down onto it! Better to blow upward then, no? Hopefully the fan blows hard enough to get that warm air to flow over the card and around the sides...removing even warmer air from around the other components.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

coolsquirtle

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2003
we actually should be complain about how stuff are so hot nowadays = ="

RIP Block Heater....HELLO P4~~~~~
120% nVidia Fanboy+119% Money Fanboy
GeForce 6800 Ultra--> The Way we thought FX 5800Ultra is meant to be played
THGC's resident Asian and nVboy :D

david__t

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2003
Yeah - my post really refers to a time span from '93 - 2003 rather than the last ten years - I still had an old Olivetti 8088 back then at 4.77 MHz and then I saw the article where Tom reached 4GHz using nitrogen cooling on a P4.

I agree that we should look to the GPU being on top of the cards and I also strongly agree that we should be complaining about the fact that the cards are so hot in the first place - but if they are going to keep on getting warmer then they mobo designers and card designers really do need to look at better cooling solutions.

I don't know the exact techincal specifications but from what I understand reading on various sources, we are reaching the top end of what silicon is actually capable of in terms of speed and that is why we are getting various forms of processors with high heat output.

I do think that multiple cores might be the way to go but in the end you will still have the same problem - if we reach 5 - 6GHz in silicon as a high point then the best multiple CPU setup would either be 2 of 4 of those cores - which would be a beefy machine don't get me wrong - but where do you go from there? It has taken a long time to reduce the chip production from .25 to .13 to .09 - can we go lower with good yields? - anyway that is for the CPU forum really. It will be interesting to see which direction Intel and AMD will take.