Starting up very slow

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,alt.os.windows-xp,alt.windows-xp (More info?)

Recently my laptop has been taking ages to start up. Seems to start up
but taskbar at the bottom does not appear for about 10 mins.

If I move the cursor towards the taskbar at the bottom the cursor
changes to a timer.

I can still click on icons ont he desktop but obviously dont get the
start menu or taskbar for about 10 mins.

Checked task manager and it doesnt seem to be running anything?

How can I check what its waiting for ?

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,alt.os.windows-xp,alt.windows-xp (More info?)

Yep. Do all of these regularly.

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,alt.os.windows-xp,alt.windows-xp (More info?)

Mcafee v8.0i (enterprise edition) which is up to date.

BertieBigBollox@gmail.com wrote:
> Mcafee v8.0i (enterprise edition) which is up to date.

Quit snipping everything so your message makes some sense.

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,alt.os.windows-xp,alt.windows-xp (More info?)

Scan for spyware. Use these tools:

Ad-aware SE:
www.lavasoftusa.com
Spybot S&D:
http://www.safer-networking.org/es/index.html
MS Antispyware (beta):

<BertieBigBollox@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Recently my laptop has been taking ages to start up. Seems to start up
> but taskbar at the bottom does not appear for about 10 mins.
>
> If I move the cursor towards the taskbar at the bottom the cursor
> changes to a timer.
>
> I can still click on icons ont he desktop but obviously dont get the
> start menu or taskbar for about 10 mins.
>
> Checked task manager and it doesnt seem to be running anything?
>
> How can I check what its waiting for ?
what av are you useing ??

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,alt.os.windows-xp,alt.windows-xp (More info?)

In addition to what Jose has suggested!

Are there any error reports in Event Viewer.

Make an exact note of the precise text of any error message. Minor
discrepancies can
make it harder to search for information about the error message.

You can access Event Viewer by selecting Start, Administrative Tools,
Event Viewer.
When researching the meaning of the error, information regarding Event
ID, Source
and Description are important.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;308427&Product=winxp

A tip for posting copies of Error Reports! Run Event Viewer and double
click on the
error you want to copy. In the window, which appears is a button
resembling two
pages. Double click the button and close Event Viewer. Now start your
message
(email) and do a paste into the body of the message. This will paste the
info from the
Event Viewer Error Report complete with links into the message. Make
sure this is
the first paste after exiting from Event Viewer.

--

Hope this helps.

Gerry
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
FCA

Using invalid email address

Stourport, Worcs, England
Enquire, plan and execute.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Please tell the newsgroup how any
suggested solution worked for you.

http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

José Gallardo wrote:
> Are you joined to a domain? Do you start with USB devices plugged? if
so, unplug them. Try a defragment of your hard disk.

> > Yep. Do all of these regularly.

Yes. It is part of a domain normally.

<BertieBigBollox@gmail.com> escribió en el mensaje news:1115148082.968643.27660@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com...
> Yep. Do all of these regularly.

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,alt.os.windows-xp,alt.windows-xp (More info?)

Where does the DNS point? To the server or to the SIP? It must point to the server.

<BertieBigBollox@gmail.com> escribió en el mensaje news:1115220579.576450.244180@o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com...

José Gallardo wrote:
> Are you joined to a domain? Do you start with USB devices plugged? if
so, unplug them. Try a defragment of your hard disk.

> <BertieBigBollox@gmail.com> escribió en el mensaje
> > Yep. Do all of these regularly.

Yes. It is part of a domain normally.

TRENDING THREADS