dimension 2400 bios settings

I'm considering adding a PCI graphics card.

Does anyone know which bios setting I need to look at to make sure it uses
the card, rather than onboard graphics?

Ta!
--

Cheers!
Fr Jack

The video options in the BIOS for the 2400 model are limited. Just
make sure that the setting for the Primary Video Controller is set to
"auto" and it will automatically detect the card on the next boot.
Then go into Windows Device Manager and you will find both the PCI
card and on-board graphics listed. Just disable the on-board video
and your new PCI card will be then used.

On Mon, 21 Feb 2005 14:35:04 +0000, Fr Jack <sp@mtrap.com> wrote:

>I'm considering adding a PCI graphics card.
>
>Does anyone know which bios setting I need to look at to make sure it uses
>the card, rather than onboard graphics?
>
>Ta!

The 2400 BIOS has a setting to tell the motherboard to use PCI rather than
"on-board" AGP. However, if you install a PCI graphics card, the switchover is
automatic with a motherboard that has the core of an Intel BIOS, as does the
Dimension 2400. Dell adds its own "look and feel" to the Intel BIOS core, but
does not otherwise tamper with the BIOS functions in any material way.

.... Ben Myers

ben_myers_spam_me_not @ charter.net (Ben Myers) wrote:

>The 2400 BIOS has a setting to tell the motherboard to use PCI rather than
>"on-board" AGP. However, if you install a PCI graphics card, the switchover is
>automatic with a motherboard that has the core of an Intel BIOS, as does the
>Dimension 2400. Dell adds its own "look and feel" to the Intel BIOS core, but
>does not otherwise tamper with the BIOS functions in any material way.

Plug and play, then?
--

-Stephen- <muskie@aol.com> wrote:

>The video options in the BIOS for the 2400 model are limited. Just
>make sure that the setting for the Primary Video Controller is set to
>"auto" and it will automatically detect the card on the next boot.
>Then go into Windows Device Manager and you will find both the PCI
>card and on-board graphics listed. Just disable the on-board video
>and your new PCI card will be then used.

Not so plug and play?
--

Cheers!
Fr Jack
96 Tiger.
FRJACKUKRM AT GMAIL DOT COM
skype: fr.jack (without the dot)

It's about as plug and pray as Windows is going to get. It just
requires a little final tweaking in Device Manager.

On Mon, 21 Feb 2005 16:55:29 +0000, Fr Jack <sp@mtrap.com> wrote:

>-Stephen- <muskie@aol.com> wrote:
>
>>The video options in the BIOS for the 2400 model are limited. Just
>>make sure that the setting for the Primary Video Controller is set to
>>"auto" and it will automatically detect the card on the next boot.
>>Then go into Windows Device Manager and you will find both the PCI
>>card and on-board graphics listed. Just disable the on-board video
>>and your new PCI card will be then used.
>
>Not so plug and play?

If not exactly plug and play, then pretty difficult to mess up... Ben Myers

On Mon, 21 Feb 2005 16:54:55 +0000, Fr Jack <sp@mtrap.com> wrote:

>ben_myers_spam_me_not @ charter.net (Ben Myers) wrote:
>
>>The 2400 BIOS has a setting to tell the motherboard to use PCI rather than
>>"on-board" AGP. However, if you install a PCI graphics card, the switchover is
>>automatic with a motherboard that has the core of an Intel BIOS, as does the
>>Dimension 2400. Dell adds its own "look and feel" to the Intel BIOS core, but
>>does not otherwise tamper with the BIOS functions in any material way.
>
>Plug and play, then?
>--
>
>Cheers!
>Fr Jack
>96 Tiger.
>FRJACKUKRM AT GMAIL DOT COM
>skype: fr.jack (without the dot)

-Stephen- <muskie@aol.com> wrote:

>It's about as plug and pray as Windows is going to get. It just
>requires a little final tweaking in Device Manager.

If it all goes bang, I can get my mate to pop round...
--

"Fr Jack" <sp@mtrap.com> wrote in message
> -Stephen- <muskie@aol.com> wrote:
>
>>It's about as plug and pray as Windows is going to get. It just
>>requires a little final tweaking in Device Manager.
>
> If it all goes bang, I can get my mate to pop round...
> --
>
> Cheers!
> Fr Jack
> 96 Tiger.
> FRJACKUKRM AT GMAIL DOT COM
> skype: fr.jack (without the dot)

It is plug-n-play. The original information from Ben was just wrong.

A PCI card does not disable the onboard graphics in a 2400. Both video
outputs are supported at the same time for a dual monitor setup. You don't
have to disable anything in Device manager, though.

Just go to the desktop, right click, choose settings. You'll see both
monitors and the choice to choose the one (or both) you want to use.

My 2400 drives both an LCD panel (onboard video) and a projector (PCI video
card).

Tom

ben_myers_spam_me_not @ charter.net (Ben Myers) wrote:

>If not exactly plug and play, then pretty difficult to mess up... Ben Myers

Ta!
--

Cheers!
Fr Jack