Why use encryption?

23 answers Last reply
More about encryption

    Rich <richward@despammed.com> wrote:

    > Hi
    >
    > Just messing with my wi-fi network yesterday after it stopped working
    > a few months back. Found out it worked straight away if I turned off
    > the WEP encryption.
    >
    > Upon connecting my laptop to the router and other machine a box
    > popped up and asked me for the username and password for the other
    > computer. Without entering this I could not access any of the shared
    > drives.
    >
    > My question is considering windows asks for a login and password why
    > bother with WEP - seems that windows has built in protecion anyhow.
    > Or am I missing something.

    Wellm for a start, anyone can read all of your traffic, even if
    it's password protected.

    On Tue, 30 Mar 2004 17:15:12 +0000 (UTC), Rich
    <richward@despammed.com> wrote:

    On Wed, 31 Mar 2004 10:27:21 +0000 (UTC), Rich
    <richward@despammed.com> wrote:

    >>Let me guess...Netgear, right?
    >
    >How did you guess? DG824M (I think its called) wireless router,
    >firewall, access point, ADSL modem working with a Netgear MA111 USB
    >stick.
    >
    >Take its a known fault with netgear stuff?

    One of MANY known faults with Netgear stuff. I found out the hard
    way. The worse thing is that Netgear does not honor the 3 year
    warranty that is printed on the box. If your router or card stops
    working after 90 days (a common occurrence with Netgear products) they
    absolutely will NOT communicate with you unless you first pay them
    $28.95.

    Userids and passwords are not always encrypted. Unless you're on a web page
    with a URL that starts with "https" (secure http), everything is being
    transmitted exactly as you type it. Typically, userid/passwords for ISP
    connection and mail server connection are transmitted in the clear.

    The whole point of WEP or WPA is that it encryptes *all* user data between
    wifi devices and the AP. I wouldn't assume that thick walls prevent the
    signal from getting outside. It depends entirely on how thick, and what the
    walls are made of. You can't tell unless you've tried to measure the signal
    outside, or monitor your network from outside. And in any case, a hacker
    with a high-gain antenna can see your net much better than you can - and
    probably insert himself into it from a distance you couldn't achieve with
    your own equipment.

    WEP is not very strong, as we have discussed endless times on this list, but
    if you change your keys fairly frequently it's a huge improvement over no
    encryption at all. WPA with pre-shared key is best for home use. There's two
    issues - privacy and people using your ISP. If you don't care about either,
    then skip encryption. But even if you don't care about privacy, you should
    have some concern about people using your ISP connection wihout your
    knowledge to hack other hosts on the internet, generate spam, or do other
    malicious things over which you have no control and which can be traced back
    to your ISP connection. Using WEP should block 99% of this.

    "Rich" <richward@despammed.com> wrote in message

    Somebody Else <fiwuefui @iagjnijrasm.com> wrote in

    > The worse thing is that Netgear does not honor the 3 year
    > warranty that is printed on the box. If your router or card stops
    > working after 90 days (a common occurrence with Netgear products) they
    > absolutely will NOT communicate with you unless you first pay them
    > $28.95.

    Not true - I had 1 router and 1 switch replaced by netgear with no
    problems.

    --
    Lucas Tam (REMOVEnntp@rogers.com)

    On Wed, 31 Mar 2004 20:19:01 GMT, Lucas Tam <REMOVEnntp@rogers.com>
    wrote:

    >Somebody Else <fiwuefui @iagjnijrasm.com> wrote in
    >
    >> The worse thing is that Netgear does not honor the 3 year
    >> warranty that is printed on the box. If your router or card stops
    >> working after 90 days (a common occurrence with Netgear products) they
    >> absolutely will NOT communicate with you unless you first pay them
    >> $28.95.
    >>

    >Not true - I had 1 router and 1 switch replaced by netgear with no
    >problems.

    Either one of two things happened:

    1) They have changed their policy since then.
    2) You got the exchange within the 90 days.

    What I said IS true because I am sitting here with a dead Netgear
    router and they will not speak to me about it unless I pay them first.

    Somebody Else <ttt@sss.com> wrote in

    > Either one of two things happened:
    >
    > 1) They have changed their policy since then.

    The router was exchanged about a year ago. The switch about 3 months ago.

    > 2) You got the exchange within the 90 days.

    Nope. The switch was at least 3 years old when I replaced it.

    > What I said IS true because I am sitting here with a dead Netgear
    > router and they will not speak to me about it unless I pay them first.

    Netgear has two options.

    1. Pay for cross shipping and receive a replacement within 3 business
    days. This options costs about 22.00.

    2. Mail in your defective product via regular mail and a replacement will
    be mailed out for free in ~2 weeks.

    Never had a problem with Netgear - actually they have the best support
    around!

    --
    Lucas Tam (REMOVEnntp@rogers.com)

    On Thu, 01 Apr 2004 00:47:19 GMT, Lucas Tam <REMOVEnntp@rogers.com>
    wrote:

    >Somebody Else <ttt@sss.com> wrote in
    >
    >> Either one of two things happened:
    >>
    >> 1) They have changed their policy since then.
    >
    >The router was exchanged about a year ago. The switch about 3 months ago.
    >

    >> 2) You got the exchange within the 90 days.
    >
    >Nope. The switch was at least 3 years old when I replaced it.
    >
    >> What I said IS true because I am sitting here with a dead Netgear
    >> router and they will not speak to me about it unless I pay them first.
    >
    >Netgear has two options.
    >
    >1. Pay for cross shipping and receive a replacement within 3 business
    >days. This options costs about 22.00.
    >
    >2. Mail in your defective product via regular mail and a replacement will
    >be mailed out for free in ~2 weeks.
    >
    >Never had a problem with Netgear - actually they have the best support
    >around!

    Not any more. Below I have pasted the email I recieved from them
    outlining their support policy. This answer they sent me was about a
    defective router that needs replacement. My original email outlining
    the problem is at the bottom) He won't talk to me to satisfy himself
    that it needs replacing unless I pay him first. That is not
    acceptable considering that it is only about six months into a three
    year warranty. I have absolutely no confidence that they will accept
    responsibility for the defective product and refund my money AND send
    me a new router. I just don't trust them. If they promise a three
    year warranty, then they should not be trying to charge more money to
    honor that warranty. It just isn't honest or right.

    Dear Sir,

    Thank you for contacting Netgear Support. My name is Dhurba & I will
    be handling your enquiry.

    This issue can be best solved over voice so that we can try a few
    settings with you to fix this issue. Please keep the serial number of
    the product handy so that voice support is provided, as we do not
    support refurbished products over voice. Please note that free support
    is provided only for 90 days from the date of purchase. If the product
    is within 90 days from the date of purchase then please contact our
    voice support at 1-888-NETGEAR and we are operational 24x7. If the
    product is more than 90 days from the date of purchase then you can go
    for Premium Support. This service is available for a per
    minute/incident fee that will be charged to your credit card. The
    Premium Support Line can be reached at 1-800-448-1696. Please select
    Option #1 if you are using a Windows Operating System or Mac OS, And
    Option #2 if you are using Linux. There are 2 pricing plans also we
    have Call Packs available as below:

    Pay as you go:
    Per Incident - $28.95
    Per Minute - $1.99

    Per Incident Call Pack Pricing:

    2 incidents @ $52.00 (10% off the $28.95 price)
    3 incidents @ $73.00 (15% off the $28.95 price)
    5 incidents @ $115.00 (20% off the $28.95 price)

    Per Minute Call Pack Pricing:

    20 minutes @ 34.99 ($1.74/minute vs. $1.99 std)
    40 Minutes @ 64.99 ($1.62/minute vs. $1.99 std)
    60 minutes @ 89.99 ($1.50/minute vs. $1.99 std)

    Please note the working hours for Premium Support are as follows:

    Windows and Mac Support - 6am - 12am CST, Monday-Sunday
    Linux Support - 7am - 7pm CST, Monday-Friday
    VPN Support - 7am - 7pm CST, Monday - Friday

    If the call results in a hardware failure and the hardware is still
    under warranty, NETGEAR incurs the charge for that call and the
    customer is not charged. To get the refund you need to have the
    purchase receipt.

    Please note that this policy is only applicable in North America, if
    you are located outside North America then please click on following
    link to get the contact # for your respective country :

    http://kbserver.netgear.com/kb_web_files/N100005.asp

    Please make sure that you have registered the Netgear product at
    www.netgear.com/register before contacting voice support.

    Regards

    Dhurba Mutum
    Netgear Support
    support@esupport.netgear.com

    Please help us serve you better by clicking here
    mailto:support@netgear.com?subject=Feedback_in if you would like to
    provide any other valuable feedback. (Note: this feedback is not sent
    to an agent so you will not receive a reply.)