TECH: Frogger power supply

Scott

Was working on a Frogger today for a guy. Power supply is the culprit.

The game has a setup I haven't come across before. It has a small
switcher (obviously original) on the left side going to a small power
supply board that goes to everything else.

The small switcher has no voltages labeled as to what goes to what, and
I don't have any Frogger info handy to me.

Anyone able to help me out on to the voltages on this bad boy? Someone
has to have one with this same setup.

Switcher puts out +5. IIRC, the other board gives you the +12 (and
-12?). I just ganked both of those and put in a new switcher, hacked
the harness and ran all voltages off the new switcher.

Is the game popping fuses? That's what mine did when I first got it...
trying to remember what the problem ended up being....

Rob

Scott

No popping of fuses.... the guy actually told me that the game will
come up if he leaves it powered on for "three or four days".

Switcher has four connections to it and it only puts out the +5? Odd.

Even better is that this person is expecting a dirt cheap fix.... which
is why I asked on here for a double check :).

Yep, 4 connections... two for AC, one for ground (serves as both FG and
logic ground), and one for +5.

Take my advice, pull out all the linear stuff, put in a modern switcher, and
be done with it... assuming there's nothing wrong with the board. ;^)

Good luck,
Rob