HUMUS has a 'DynamicBranching' demo for PS2.0

Sure it's not quite the same, but it does show that similar performance gains can be had from PS2.0 hardware, not just PS3.0 alone, if the developers were as keen to 'Get in the Game' as they are to TWIMTBP optimize.

<A HREF="http://esprit.campus.luth.se/~humus/" target="_new">http://esprit.campus.luth.se/~humus/</A>

Interesting sounding demo, can't check it or it's basis since I'm at work for the next little while.

- You need a licence to buy a gun, but they'll sell anyone a stamp <i>(or internet account)</i> ! - <font color=green>RED </font color=green> <font color=red> GREEN</font color=red> GA to SK :evil:

Ok, ran it, looks pretty good, performance increase is pretty significant.

Running 1280x1024 @ stock on the R9600P, 21-24fps without, 68-79fps with 'dynamic branching' from the start position.

Be sure to move the camera around to get a feel for everything, interesting seeing the lights play over each other, especially near the ceiling or in corners.

- You need a licence to buy a gun, but they'll sell anyone a stamp <i>(or internet account)</i> ! - <font color=green>RED </font color=green> <font color=red> GREEN</font color=red> GA to SK :evil:

entium

Distinguished
May 23, 2004
He is using range limited lights only, try the demo with more then 2 or 3 lights in the same area. The type of branching he did has been done before. It doesn't work in all the time in every single app.

Regardless of more than 3 lights (why because I'm fighting in a field of fireflies or a Disco Floor?), the impact is still positive, and an example of how under 'normal' lighting conditions you would see benifits.

And I don't remember saying this has never been done before, just that it's got a positive effect and it looks like an effective demo for what he's showing, and for practical purposes could do effects similar to those using SM3.0, with performance benifits as well. Of course if someone were being payed to force the difference of course you'd have them battle among ravers with glow sticks just to show off SM3.0 for those who pay the bills.

entium

Distinguished
May 23, 2004
lol not really grape, branching is alot important then just multi colored lights in one room.

Any instuction set longer then ATi's 96 instruction limit with branching can be on ATi cards in a single pass. As it stands right now it will use more then one pass. Its not just about pretty lights.

Manythings that take more then one pass now can be done in a single pass like HDRL, (yeah there is away to do this with puesdo branching but the performance results aren't as good)

This guy did branching for one single type of situation.