Problems with system restore failure after trojan attack.

May 3, 2005 11:35:09 AM

Greetings wise ones, I recently was struck by a trojan downloader, small.26,
and about 4 other variations, 6,9,17. I am finally clean of those, but my
recurring nightnare is, after completing a scan in safe mode with system
restore turned off I returned to my computer/properties/system restore, as I
was uncheckling the tickbox /turnoff system restore, the screen jumped and
the system restore tab disappeared, this is exactly what took place. and now
on the properties screen, there is no tab for system restore, All the files
for restore points also disappeared in system volume info, system volume info
is empty!!! I have tried start ing from admin tools/system/systemrestore
start, and the loading dialog comes on and then an error message, COULD NOT
START THE SYSTEM RESTORE SERVICE ON LOCAL COMPUTER ERROR:5 ACCESS IS DENIED.
This is not a registry group policy/disable access denial. I have been
there, I have also loaded the complete set of registry keys for system
restore from Kellys Korner, tweaks etc.
I have also attempted to start from a command prompt, nothing, I know this
all sounds like the opening scene from an outer limits episode, or Doony
Darko, and I need help, is there any way to reload the system restore snap
in, complete??? help and thanks,
Munka
Anonymous
May 3, 2005 12:01:10 PM

"Munka" wrote:

> Greetings wise ones, I recently was struck by a trojan downloader, small.26,
> and about 4 other variations, 6,9,17. I am finally clean of those, but my
> recurring nightnare is, after completing a scan in safe mode with system
> restore turned off I returned to my computer/properties/system restore, as I
> was uncheckling the tickbox /turnoff system restore, the screen jumped and
> the system restore tab disappeared, this is exactly what took place. and now
> on the properties screen, there is no tab for system restore, All the files
> for restore points also disappeared in system volume info, system volume info
> is empty!!! I have tried start ing from admin tools/system/systemrestore
> start, and the loading dialog comes on and then an error message, COULD NOT
> START THE SYSTEM RESTORE SERVICE ON LOCAL COMPUTER ERROR:5 ACCESS IS DENIED.
> This is not a registry group policy/disable access denial. I have been
> there, I have also loaded the complete set of registry keys for system
> restore from Kellys Korner, tweaks etc.
> I have also attempted to start from a command prompt, nothing, I know this
> all sounds like the opening scene from an outer limits episode, or Doony
> Darko, and I need help, is there any way to reload the system restore snap
> in, complete??? help and thanks, I forgot to metion I have also tried to copy across the core filed and I get a error message: ERROR IN ADVPACK.DLL
MISSING ENTRY : LAUNCH INFSECTIONC:\WINDOWS\INF\SR.INF.
> Munka
Anonymous
May 3, 2005 9:45:33 PM

"Munka" <Munka@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Greetings wise ones, I recently was struck by a trojan downloader,
> small.26,
> and about 4 other variations, 6,9,17. I am finally clean of those, but
> my
> recurring nightnare is, after completing a scan in safe mode with
> system
> restore turned off I returned to my computer/properties/system
> restore, as I
> was uncheckling the tickbox /turnoff system restore, the screen jumped
> and
> the system restore tab disappeared, this is exactly what took place.
> and now
> on the properties screen, there is no tab for system restore, All the
> files
> for restore points also disappeared in system volume info, system
> volume info
> is empty!!! I have tried start ing from admin
> tools/system/systemrestore
> start, and the loading dialog comes on and then an error message,
> COULD NOT
> START THE SYSTEM RESTORE SERVICE ON LOCAL COMPUTER ERROR:5 ACCESS IS
> DENIED.
> This is not a registry group policy/disable access denial. I have been
> there, I have also loaded the complete set of registry keys for system
> restore from Kellys Korner, tweaks etc.
> I have also attempted to start from a command prompt, nothing, I know
> this
> all sounds like the opening scene from an outer limits episode, or
> Doony
> Darko, and I need help, is there any way to reload the system restore
> snap
> in, complete??? help and thanks,
> Munka

Do me a favour and scan the registry for "DisableSR" without the quotes.
I have seen this DWord in other policy settings in the registry.

--
William
May 3, 2005 10:01:02 PM

Hi William, thanks for responding, and sorry for the delayed response (I had
to sleep) Until I reloaded all registry keys, (from Kellys Korner) related to
system restore that dword was not present on my system and on a tip from
AumHa, I set them to delete, so it is not a group policy denial. Munka

"WTC" wrote:

> "Munka" <Munka@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Greetings wise ones, I recently was struck by a trojan downloader,
> > small.26,
> > and about 4 other variations, 6,9,17. I am finally clean of those, but
> > my
> > recurring nightnare is, after completing a scan in safe mode with
> > system
> > restore turned off I returned to my computer/properties/system
> > restore, as I
> > was uncheckling the tickbox /turnoff system restore, the screen jumped
> > and
> > the system restore tab disappeared, this is exactly what took place.
> > and now
> > on the properties screen, there is no tab for system restore, All the
> > files
> > for restore points also disappeared in system volume info, system
> > volume info
> > is empty!!! I have tried start ing from admin
> > tools/system/systemrestore
> > start, and the loading dialog comes on and then an error message,
> > COULD NOT
> > START THE SYSTEM RESTORE SERVICE ON LOCAL COMPUTER ERROR:5 ACCESS IS
> > DENIED.
> > This is not a registry group policy/disable access denial. I have been
> > there, I have also loaded the complete set of registry keys for system
> > restore from Kellys Korner, tweaks etc.
> > I have also attempted to start from a command prompt, nothing, I know
> > this
> > all sounds like the opening scene from an outer limits episode, or
> > Doony
> > Darko, and I need help, is there any way to reload the system restore
> > snap
> > in, complete??? help and thanks,
> > Munka
>

> Do me a favour and scan the registry for "DisableSR" without the quotes.
> I have seen this DWord in other policy settings in the registry.
>
> --
> William

Anonymous
May 3, 2005 10:28:02 PM

Well I now have a restore point in System volume info folder, there were none
before, that folder was emty, maybe when I reloaded the core system files
from the cd, but system restore still comes up with a error 5 message as
above. and still no system restore tab on the system properties screen, I
will try a reboot and return soon.

"MUNKA" wrote:

> Hi William, thanks for responding, and sorry for the delayed response (I had
> to sleep) Until I reloaded all registry keys, (from Kellys Korner) related to
> system restore that dword was not present on my system and on a tip from
> AumHa, I set them to delete, so it is not a group policy denial. Munka
>
> "WTC" wrote:
>
> > "Munka" <Munka@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > > Greetings wise ones, I recently was struck by a trojan downloader,
> > > small.26,
> > > and about 4 other variations, 6,9,17. I am finally clean of those, but
> > > my
> > > recurring nightnare is, after completing a scan in safe mode with
> > > system
> > > restore turned off I returned to my computer/properties/system
> > > restore, as I
> > > was uncheckling the tickbox /turnoff system restore, the screen jumped
> > > and
> > > the system restore tab disappeared, this is exactly what took place.
> > > and now
> > > on the properties screen, there is no tab for system restore, All the
> > > files
> > > for restore points also disappeared in system volume info, system
> > > volume info
> > > is empty!!! I have tried start ing from admin
> > > tools/system/systemrestore
> > > start, and the loading dialog comes on and then an error message,
> > > COULD NOT
> > > START THE SYSTEM RESTORE SERVICE ON LOCAL COMPUTER ERROR:5 ACCESS IS
> > > DENIED.
> > > This is not a registry group policy/disable access denial. I have been
> > > there, I have also loaded the complete set of registry keys for system
> > > restore from Kellys Korner, tweaks etc.
> > > I have also attempted to start from a command prompt, nothing, I know
> > > this
> > > all sounds like the opening scene from an outer limits episode, or
> > > Doony
> > > Darko, and I need help, is there any way to reload the system restore
> > > snap
> > > in, complete??? help and thanks,
> > > Munka
> >

> > Do me a favour and scan the registry for "DisableSR" without the quotes.
> > I have seen this DWord in other policy settings in the registry.
> >
> > --
> > William

Anonymous
May 3, 2005 10:29:32 PM

> Hi William, thanks for responding, and sorry for the delayed response
> (I had
> to sleep) Until I reloaded all registry keys, (from Kellys Korner)
> related to
> system restore that dword was not present on my system and on a tip
> from
> AumHa, I set them to delete, so it is not a group policy denial.
> Munka

Worth a try.

Have you tried to reinstall System Restore? I don't know if Ramesh is
going this route. If you want to try then go to the Start>Run and type

inf

The "inf" folder should open, once open locate "sr.inf". Highlight
"sr.inf" and right-click and select install.

--
William
Anonymous

Yes I did the install again, also with Ramesh, and rebooted, still will not
start, same error message, nothing. Munka

"WTC" wrote:

> "MUNKA" <MUNKA@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Hi William, thanks for responding, and sorry for the delayed response
> > (I had
> > to sleep) Until I reloaded all registry keys, (from Kellys Korner)
> > related to
> > system restore that dword was not present on my system and on a tip
> > from
> > AumHa, I set them to delete, so it is not a group policy denial.
> > Munka
> >

> Worth a try.
>
> Have you tried to reinstall System Restore? I don't know if Ramesh is
> going this route. If you want to try then go to the Start>Run and type
>
> inf
>
> The "inf" folder should open, once open locate "sr.inf". Highlight
> "sr.inf" and right-click and select install.
>
> --
> William

Anonymous
May 3, 2005 11:16:02 PM

When I run "C:\WINDOWS\system32\Restore\rstrui.exe" I get the error
message, "System restore not able to protect your computer, please restart
your computer and then run system restore again." Of course I do that and get
the same message. Hmmm, I wish to persue this issue, and now I need to go
offline foe a coulple of hours, any assistance gets a warm reception.
Thanks Munka

"MUNKA" wrote:

> Yes I did the install again, also with Ramesh, and rebooted, still will not
> start, same error message, nothing. Munka
>
> "WTC" wrote:
>
> > "MUNKA" <MUNKA@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > > Hi William, thanks for responding, and sorry for the delayed response
> > > (I had
> > > to sleep) Until I reloaded all registry keys, (from Kellys Korner)
> > > related to
> > > system restore that dword was not present on my system and on a tip
> > > from
> > > AumHa, I set them to delete, so it is not a group policy denial.
> > > Munka
> > >

> > Worth a try.
> >
> > Have you tried to reinstall System Restore? I don't know if Ramesh is
> > going this route. If you want to try then go to the Start>Run and type
> >
> > inf
> >
> > The "inf" folder should open, once open locate "sr.inf". Highlight
> > "sr.inf" and right-click and select install.
> >
> > --
> > William

Anonymous
May 4, 2005 12:38:47 AM

The rundll32.exe parameters are case-sensitive. Use this exactly:

"rundll32.exe advpack.dll,LaunchINFSection C:\Windows\Inf\sr.inf"

--
Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
Windows XP Shell/User

> "Munka" wrote:
>
>> Greetings wise ones, I recently was struck by a trojan downloader,
>> small.26,
>> and about 4 other variations, 6,9,17. I am finally clean of those, but my
>> recurring nightnare is, after completing a scan in safe mode with system
>> restore turned off I returned to my computer/properties/system restore,
>> as I
>> was uncheckling the tickbox /turnoff system restore, the screen jumped
>> and
>> the system restore tab disappeared, this is exactly what took place. and
>> now
>> on the properties screen, there is no tab for system restore, All the
>> files
>> for restore points also disappeared in system volume info, system volume
>> info
>> is empty!!! I have tried start ing from admin tools/system/systemrestore
>> start, and the loading dialog comes on and then an error message, COULD
>> NOT
>> START THE SYSTEM RESTORE SERVICE ON LOCAL COMPUTER ERROR:5 ACCESS IS
>> DENIED.
>> This is not a registry group policy/disable access denial. I have been
>> there, I have also loaded the complete set of registry keys for system
>> restore from Kellys Korner, tweaks etc.
>> I have also attempted to start from a command prompt, nothing, I know
>> this
>> all sounds like the opening scene from an outer limits episode, or Doony
>> Darko, and I need help, is there any way to reload the system restore
>> snap
>> in, complete??? help and thanks, I forgot to metion I have also tried to
>> copy across the core filed and I get a error message: ERROR IN
>> ADVPACK.DLL
> MISSING ENTRY : LAUNCH INFSECTIONC:\WINDOWS\INF\SR.INF.
>> Munka
Anonymous
May 4, 2005 12:38:48 AM

Hi Ramesh, yes I tried as you said, and got this error message error could
not locate INF file C:\windows \inf\sr, Munka

"Ramesh, MS-MVP" wrote:

> The rundll32.exe parameters are case-sensitive. Use this exactly:
>
> "rundll32.exe advpack.dll,LaunchINFSection C:\Windows\Inf\sr.inf"
>
> --
> Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
> Windows XP Shell/User
> http://windowsxp.mvps.org
>

> "MUNKA" <MUNKA@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >

> > "Munka" wrote:
> >
> >> Greetings wise ones, I recently was struck by a trojan downloader,
> >> small.26,
> >> and about 4 other variations, 6,9,17. I am finally clean of those, but my
> >> recurring nightnare is, after completing a scan in safe mode with system
> >> restore turned off I returned to my computer/properties/system restore,
> >> as I
> >> was uncheckling the tickbox /turnoff system restore, the screen jumped
> >> and
> >> the system restore tab disappeared, this is exactly what took place. and
> >> now
> >> on the properties screen, there is no tab for system restore, All the
> >> files
> >> for restore points also disappeared in system volume info, system volume
> >> info
> >> is empty!!! I have tried start ing from admin tools/system/systemrestore
> >> start, and the loading dialog comes on and then an error message, COULD
> >> NOT
> >> START THE SYSTEM RESTORE SERVICE ON LOCAL COMPUTER ERROR:5 ACCESS IS
> >> DENIED.
> >> This is not a registry group policy/disable access denial. I have been
> >> there, I have also loaded the complete set of registry keys for system
> >> restore from Kellys Korner, tweaks etc.
> >> I have also attempted to start from a command prompt, nothing, I know
> >> this
> >> all sounds like the opening scene from an outer limits episode, or Doony
> >> Darko, and I need help, is there any way to reload the system restore
> >> snap
> >> in, complete??? help and thanks, I forgot to metion I have also tried to
> >> copy across the core filed and I get a error message: ERROR IN
> >> ADVPACK.DLL
> > MISSING ENTRY : LAUNCH INFSECTIONC:\WINDOWS\INF\SR.INF.
> >> Munka

Anonymous
May 4, 2005 12:58:37 AM

>> C:\windows \inf\sr

C:\windows\inf\sr.inf

If you have Windows installed in any other drive than C:\, alter the path
accordingly.

--
Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
Windows XP Shell/User

> Hi Ramesh, yes I tried as you said, and got this error message error
> could
> not locate INF file C:\windows \inf\sr, Munka
>
> "Ramesh, MS-MVP" wrote:
>
>> The rundll32.exe parameters are case-sensitive. Use this exactly:
>>
>> "rundll32.exe advpack.dll,LaunchINFSection C:\Windows\Inf\sr.inf"
>>
>> --
>> Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
>> Windows XP Shell/User
>> http://windowsxp.mvps.org
>>

>> "MUNKA" <MUNKA@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

>> > MISSING ENTRY : LAUNCH INFSECTIONC:\WINDOWS\INF\SR.INF.

Anonymous
May 4, 2005 12:58:38 AM

I only have 1 drive C:\, I do however have a second partition with linux
loaded, would that make a differance?

"Ramesh, MS-MVP" wrote:

> >> C:\windows \inf\sr
>
> C:\windows\inf\sr.inf
>
> If you have Windows installed in any other drive than C:\, alter the path
> accordingly.
>
> --
> Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
> Windows XP Shell/User
> http://windowsxp.mvps.org
>

> "MUNKA" <MUNKA@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Hi Ramesh, yes I tried as you said, and got this error message error
> > could
> > not locate INF file C:\windows \inf\sr, Munka
> >
> > "Ramesh, MS-MVP" wrote:
> >
> >> The rundll32.exe parameters are case-sensitive. Use this exactly:
> >>
> >> "rundll32.exe advpack.dll,LaunchINFSection C:\Windows\Inf\sr.inf"
> >>
> >> --
> >> Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
> >> Windows XP Shell/User
> >> http://windowsxp.mvps.org
> >>

> >> "MUNKA" <MUNKA@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Anonymous
May 4, 2005 1:13:58 AM

Have you tried the command exactly as given?

news:D D21059E-DD62-4B93-8277-19D8FD6C9291@microsoft.com...
>I only have 1 drive C:\, I do however have a second partition with linux
> loaded, would that make a differance?

>> C:\windows\inf\sr.inf
>>
>> If you have Windows installed in any other drive than C:\, alter the path
>> accordingly.
>>
>> --
>> Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
>> Windows XP Shell/User
>> http://windowsxp.mvps.org
>>

>> "MUNKA" <MUNKA@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Hi Ramesh, yes I tried as you said, and got this error message error
>> > could
>> > not locate INF file C:\windows \inf\sr, Munka

Anonymous
May 4, 2005 1:13:59 AM

Let me be clear, that file is copied across from the installation cd or is
existing on
C:\ because I get a type the path dialog, so I went ahead and copied across,
sr.sys, file from the cd, Hmm I had already tried that only described through
a different context on a tip from Aumha forum and it didnt work, I will
however reboot and come back in 5, meanwhile thankyou for your patience

"Ramesh, MS-MVP" wrote:

> Have you tried the command exactly as given?
>
> "rundll32.exe advpack.dll,LaunchINFSection C:\Windows\Inf\sr.inf"
>
> --
> Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
> Windows XP Shell/User
> http://windowsxp.mvps.org
>

> "MUNKA" <MUNKA@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> news:D D21059E-DD62-4B93-8277-19D8FD6C9291@microsoft.com...
> >I only have 1 drive C:\, I do however have a second partition with linux
> > loaded, would that make a differance?

> >> C:\windows\inf\sr.inf
> >>
> >> If you have Windows installed in any other drive than C:\, alter the path
> >> accordingly.
> >>
> >> --
> >> Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
> >> Windows XP Shell/User
> >> http://windowsxp.mvps.org
> >>

> >> "MUNKA" <MUNKA@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Anonymous
May 4, 2005 1:14:00 AM

Hi Ramesh, still no sys restore tab and the error message again when triying
to start from admin tools, I should also mention I did a repair upgrade
about a week ago, thinking naively that that would resolve this issue, it
didnt!

"MUNKA" wrote:

> Let me be clear, that file is copied across from the installation cd or is
> existing on
> C:\ because I get a type the path dialog, so I went ahead and copied across,
> sr.sys, file from the cd, Hmm I had already tried that only described through
> a different context on a tip from Aumha forum and it didnt work, I will
> however reboot and come back in 5, meanwhile thankyou for your patience
>
> "Ramesh, MS-MVP" wrote:
>
> > Have you tried the command exactly as given?
> >
> > "rundll32.exe advpack.dll,LaunchINFSection C:\Windows\Inf\sr.inf"
> >
> > --
> > Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
> > Windows XP Shell/User
> > http://windowsxp.mvps.org
> >

> > "MUNKA" <MUNKA@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > news:D D21059E-DD62-4B93-8277-19D8FD6C9291@microsoft.com...
> > >I only have 1 drive C:\, I do however have a second partition with linux
> > > loaded, would that make a differance?

Anonymous
May 4, 2005 1:14:01 AM

Although I only used this function (sys restore) mabe twice in five years, I
still wish to have it functional again, otherwise the bad guys win. I
appreciate your help Ramesh. Munka

"MUNKA" wrote:

> Hi Ramesh, still no sys restore tab and the error message again when triying
> to start from admin tools, I should also mention I did a repair upgrade
> about a week ago, thinking naively that that would resolve this issue, it
> didnt!
>
> "MUNKA" wrote:
>
> > Let me be clear, that file is copied across from the installation cd or is
> > existing on
> > C:\ because I get a type the path dialog, so I went ahead and copied across,
> > sr.sys, file from the cd, Hmm I had already tried that only described through
> > a different context on a tip from Aumha forum and it didnt work, I will
> > however reboot and come back in 5, meanwhile thankyou for your patience
> >
> > "Ramesh, MS-MVP" wrote:
> >
> > > Have you tried the command exactly as given?
> > >
> > > "rundll32.exe advpack.dll,LaunchINFSection C:\Windows\Inf\sr.inf"
> > >
> > > --
> > > Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
> > > Windows XP Shell/User
> > > http://windowsxp.mvps.org
> > >

> > > "MUNKA" <MUNKA@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > > news:D D21059E-DD62-4B93-8277-19D8FD6C9291@microsoft.com...

Anonymous
May 4, 2005 1:49:01 AM

I have also tryed " C:\WINDOWS\system32\Restore\rstrui.exe " and get the
message, " System restore is not able to protect your computer, Please
restart your computer and run system restore again." Which I did and had no
sucess,
I would appreciate any support on this matter.
Anonymous
May 4, 2005 2:00:02 AM

Whoops sorry abou the duplicate post. Munka

"MUNKA" wrote:
Anonymous
May 8, 2005 9:24:04 AM

Well it looks like I either live without system restore or I do a clean
install.
Anonymous
May 9, 2005 1:30:09 AM

Hi Munka,

For the error "COULD NOT START THE SYSTEM RESTORE SERVICE ON LOCAL COMPUTER
ERROR:5 ACCESS IS DENIED.", one of the previous posts by [MS] techs tells to
check the Permissions for the System Volume Information folder. Make sure
that the SYSTEM account has Full Permissions for this folder.

You can try purging the contents using this way:
http://windowsxp.mvps.org/resetsr.htm

--
Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
Windows XP Shell/User