SP2 Update disaster
Can anyone help? I thought that I would upgrade to SP2…all seemed to go well
until windows rebooted…!! It then came up with the error “Could not find or
corrupt C:\windows\inf\biosinfo.inf� I have gone to the XP site on Microsoft
and found the instructions on how to recover your computer if your setup
program is not completed successfully, www.support.microsoft.com/kb/875355
but this does not work. I have aslo found the bios error and the advice they
give for that..but it requires me t ogo into the F8 operating systems choices
menu...which i can get into, but when i pick one to load the same error comes
up before i can use the suggested fix!! Now wot guys? Dont want to do a new
install as will lose all my settings. Cant get to the recovery program either

user

Splendid
Dec 26, 2003

On Tue, 3 May 2005 08:01:01 -0700, "Borgman"
<Borgman@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>SP2 Update disaster
>Can anyone help? I thought that I would upgrade to SP2…all seemed to go well
>until windows rebooted…!! It then came up with the error “Could not find or
>corrupt C:\windows\inf\biosinfo.inf” I have gone to the XP site on Microsoft
>and found the instructions on how to recover your computer if your setup
>program is not completed successfully, www.support.microsoft.com/kb/875355
>but this does not work. I have aslo found the bios error and the advice they
>give for that..but it requires me t ogo into the F8 operating systems choices
>menu...which i can get into, but when i pick one to load the same error comes
>up before i can use the suggested fix!! Now wot guys? Dont want to do a new
>install as will lose all my settings. Cant get to the recovery program either

Can you boot into safe mode? If that is successful, then perhaps you
can uninstall SP2 from the control panel. Failing that, perhaps you
can restore from within safe mode.

Last suggestion, if you can boot to the command prompt and navigate
the DOS tree, then go to the uninstall folders in the Windows folder
and find the SP2 folder. FInd the spuninst folder and select
spuninst.exe. During the uninstall process, various error messages
will popup on the DOS screen, but do not become alarmed. Just allow
the uninstall to process.

Failing that, Microsoft has free help line just for SP2 problems. I
have it used 3-4 times this last year. However, I don't have the
number at this work location. I was able to call my ISP, who had
their phone number handy. Or I'll post the phone number on this
thread later tonight (5:30 pm USA Central Time).

Good luck.

"<----- Which Way ----->" wrote:

> On Tue, 3 May 2005 08:01:01 -0700, "Borgman"
> <Borgman@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> >SP2 Update disaster
> >Can anyone help? I thought that I would upgrade to SP2…all seemed to go well
> >until windows rebooted…!! It then came up with the error “Could not find or
> >corrupt C:\windows\inf\biosinfo.inf� I have gone to the XP site on Microsoft
> >and found the instructions on how to recover your computer if your setup
> >program is not completed successfully, www.support.microsoft.com/kb/875355
> >but this does not work. I have aslo found the bios error and the advice they
> >give for that..but it requires me t ogo into the F8 operating systems choices
> >menu...which i can get into, but when i pick one to load the same error comes
> >up before i can use the suggested fix!! Now wot guys? Dont want to do a new
> >install as will lose all my settings. Cant get to the recovery program either
> >

> Can you boot into safe mode? If that is successful, then perhaps you
> can uninstall SP2 from the control panel. Failing that, perhaps you
> can restore from within safe mode.
>
> Last suggestion, if you can boot to the command prompt and navigate
> the DOS tree, then go to the uninstall folders in the Windows folder
> and find the SP2 folder. FInd the spuninst folder and select
> spuninst.exe. During the uninstall process, various error messages
> will popup on the DOS screen, but do not become alarmed. Just allow
> the uninstall to process.
>
> Failing that, Microsoft has free help line just for SP2 problems. I
> have it used 3-4 times this last year. However, I don't have the
> number at this work location. I was able to call my ISP, who had
> their phone number handy. Or I'll post the phone number on this
> thread later tonight (5:30 pm USA Central Time).
>
> Good luck.

Thanks for the advice....I cant get into safe mode or the control
panel......i can boot from the XP disk so will try the uninstal from
there...the advice from microsoft was use "batch spuninst.txt" in the
correct DIR, but it did not work...so i will try the .exe file you suggest.
Once again thanks....what did you think about copying the bios file across?

user

Splendid
Dec 26, 2003

On Tue, 3 May 2005 09:05:02 -0700, "Borgman"
<Borgman@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>Thanks for the advice....I cant get into safe mode or the control
>panel......i can boot from the XP disk so will try the uninstal from
>there...the advice from microsoft was use "batch spuninst.txt" in the
>correct DIR, but it did not work...so i will try the .exe file you suggest.
>Once again thanks....what did you think about copying the bios file across?

I have a computer with an older Bios with an incompatible ACPI
feature. During the initial XP installation, I had to repeatedly hit
an F key (maybe F6 or F7?) in order for XP SP1 to install properly.
This F key function disabled the ACPI Bios feature allowing XP SP1 to
install. This same Bios issue caused me problems with SP2. So I
flashed the Bios with a newer version which is suppose to be
compatible with SP2. However, I have not attempted SP2 on this
machine yet.

So, if you can find a Bios upgrade, then you might be on the road to a
SP2 installation. I kind of doubt that flashing the Bios will allow
the current XP SP2 to run at this point, but it sure might be worth a
shot. At the least, you would end with a current Bios and the same
SP2 problem.

Btw, make sure your RAM is matched (same MHz) if attempt to a Bios
upgrade. Some of the older Bios seem to handle mis-match RAM better
than the newer versions. At least, that's my experience.

And good luck.

Will try it all 2morrow, trying to get as many ideas today while i have use
of this system.
Will let you know how i get on
:)