windows xp error message

Evertime I start my computer, I get an error message to insert my windows xp
cd, when I insert it, it says the cd is older than what I have on my
computer. I don't go any further with cd. Can anyone help?
5 answers Last reply
More about windows error message

    Hi, Kali.

    The usual cause of this error message is that WinXP on your computer has
    been updated with WinXP SP2, but your original CD-ROM was purchased before
    SP2. You must either get a later CD-ROM with SP2 integrated (but that's
    expensive) or use your CD burner to create a new CD with SP2 "slipstreamed"
    into your original WinXP. This is not hard to do, but you may need
    instructions.

    But I don't know why you are getting the request for the WinXP CD in the
    first place. What is the make and model of your computer? Did it come with
    WinXP preinstalled on it? Are you able to boot into WinXP? Into either
    Normal or Safe Mode?

    RC
    --
    R. C. White, CPA
    San Marcos, TX

    "kali" <kali@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Evertime I start my computer, I get an error message to insert my windows
    > xp
    > cd, when I insert it, it says the cd is older than what I have on my
    > computer. I don't go any further with cd. Can anyone help?

    I have a gateway and windows was preinstalled on it, and yes I can boot into
    safe mode. The error message is... Windows file protection.... Files that are
    required for windows to run properly have been replaced by an unrecognized
    version of windows, must restore the original version of the files...Insert
    Windows XP Home Ed cd rom

    "R. C. White" wrote:

    > Hi, Kali.
    >
    > The usual cause of this error message is that WinXP on your computer has
    > been updated with WinXP SP2, but your original CD-ROM was purchased before
    > SP2. You must either get a later CD-ROM with SP2 integrated (but that's
    > expensive) or use your CD burner to create a new CD with SP2 "slipstreamed"
    > into your original WinXP. This is not hard to do, but you may need
    > instructions.
    >
    > But I don't know why you are getting the request for the WinXP CD in the
    > first place. What is the make and model of your computer? Did it come with
    > WinXP preinstalled on it? Are you able to boot into WinXP? Into either
    > Normal or Safe Mode?
    >
    > RC
    > --
    > R. C. White, CPA
    > San Marcos, TX
    > rc@corridor.net
    > Microsoft Windows MVP
    >
    > "kali" <kali@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > Evertime I start my computer, I get an error message to insert my windows
    > > xp
    > > cd, when I insert it, it says the cd is older than what I have on my
    > > computer. I don't go any further with cd. Can anyone help?

    Hi, Kali.

    I've never had a Gateway computer, but many readers here have. Maybe some
    of them will jump in with any Gateway-specific advice that might be needed.
    You still haven't told us much about your computer. :>( We still don't
    know the model (even laptop or desktop?), or how old it is, or which version
    of Windows (Win98? WinME? WinXP? with or without SP2?) was preinstalled.
    I'm sure you know that Gateway makes dozens of models of computers and they
    vary so much that simply "a gateway" doesn't help us help you very much. We
    want to help, but we can't see your computer. We don't know anything about
    it except what you tell us. So far, that isn't much. :>(

    Boot into Safe Mode. Then press <Win>+<Break>. That is, hold down the
    Windows logo key (between <Ctrl> and <Alt> on most keyboards) while you
    press the <Pause/Break> key, usually in the upper right of the keyboard.
    The System Properties window should pop up on your screen. (If it doesn't,
    then press Start | Control Panel | System; this should produce the same
    window.) In the top part of that window, under System, does it say "Service
    Pack 2"?

    If it does say SP2, then you will need an updated CD-ROM that has SP2
    integrated into WinXP. All recent (since last Summer) CDs should have SP2
    integrated. If yours is older, you probably will need to contact Gateway to
    find out how to get an updated CD with Gateway's OEM version of WinXP on it.
    I'm not sure if the "slipstream" process will work properly to update an OEM
    version of WinXP.

    In Safe Mode, run the System File Checker by pressing Start | Run and
    typing: sfc /scannow

    SFC will compare each WinXP operating system file to the "known good" copy
    held in your on-disk cache and replace any missing or damaged ones. To do
    this, it MIGHT have to retrieve a good copy from your WinXP CD-ROM, so have
    that CD handy. If you got SP2 online from Windows Update, you probably have
    the latest version of many of those files on your HD in the
    \Windows\ServicePackFiles\i386 folder; if SFC complains that it can't find
    the needed files on the CD, point it to that directory.

    If this is a new computer, still in warranty, you might need to discuss this
    problem with whoever sold it to you.

    RC
    --

    >I have a gateway and windows was preinstalled on it, and yes I can boot
    >into
    > safe mode. The error message is... Windows file protection.... Files that
    > are
    > required for windows to run properly have been replaced by an unrecognized
    > version of windows, must restore the original version of the
    > files...Insert
    > Windows XP Home Ed cd rom
    >
    > "R. C. White" wrote:
    >
    >> Hi, Kali.
    >>
    >> The usual cause of this error message is that WinXP on your computer has
    >> been updated with WinXP SP2, but your original CD-ROM was purchased
    >> before
    >> SP2. You must either get a later CD-ROM with SP2 integrated (but that's
    >> expensive) or use your CD burner to create a new CD with SP2
    >> "slipstreamed"
    >> into your original WinXP. This is not hard to do, but you may need
    >> instructions.
    >>
    >> But I don't know why you are getting the request for the WinXP CD in the
    >> first place. What is the make and model of your computer? Did it come
    >> with
    >> WinXP preinstalled on it? Are you able to boot into WinXP? Into either
    >> Normal or Safe Mode?
    >>
    >> RC
    >>
    >> "kali" <kali@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> > Evertime I start my computer, I get an error message to insert my
    >> > windows
    >> > xp
    >> > cd, when I insert it, it says the cd is older than what I have on my
    >> > computer. I don't go any further with cd. Can anyone help?

    Sorry about that....model # FATXPNTES2 300X...desktop...windows xp. The
    computer is less than 2 years old and I installed sp2 after it was purchased.

    "R. C. White" wrote:

> [...]
    > > files...Insert
    > > Windows XP Home Ed cd rom
    > >
    > > "R. C. White" wrote:
    > >
    > >> Hi, Kali.
    > >>
    > >> The usual cause of this error message is that WinXP on your computer has
    > >> been updated with WinXP SP2, but your original CD-ROM was purchased
    > >> before
    > >> SP2. You must either get a later CD-ROM with SP2 integrated (but that's
    > >> expensive) or use your CD burner to create a new CD with SP2
    > >> "slipstreamed"
    > >> into your original WinXP. This is not hard to do, but you may need
    > >> instructions.
    > >>
    > >> But I don't know why you are getting the request for the WinXP CD in the
    > >> first place. What is the make and model of your computer? Did it come
    > >> with
    > >> WinXP preinstalled on it? Are you able to boot into WinXP? Into either

    OK. As I said, I don't have a Gateway and I don't recognize that model
    number, but someone here should. I hope one of them will jump in with any
    Gateway-specific comments that might apply.

    HOW did you install SP2? Did you use the free WinXP SP2 CD-ROM from
    Microsoft? Or a copy of it? Did you let Windows Update install it
    automatically? Or did you download SP2 and install it offline? Do you have
    a full WinXP CD-ROM, or did your Gateway come with only a "recovery disk"?
    Most versions of those will only restore your computer to its as-new
    condition, losing all your intalled applications and data in the process.

    My reason for asking all that is to get a handle on how you might proceed.
    If you have the original pre-SP2 full WinXP CD-ROM, plus the SP2 CD from
    Microsoft, and a CD burner, you should be able to create your own
    "slipstreamed" WinXP w/SP2 integrated CD. Instructions for doing this are
    widely available. Here is the official Microsoft version:
    How to integrate software updates into your Windows installation source
    files
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/828930/en-us

    Or just Google for "slipstream+xp+sp2"; I got about 13,000 hits on that just
    now, including this one:
    Slipstreamed Windows XP CD Using SP2
    http://www.theeldergeek.com/slipstreamed_xpsp2_cd.htm

    Once you have the slipstreamed WinXP w/SP2 CD, you can use it to do an
    "in-place upgrade", using the instructions in this Knowledge Base article:
    How to perform an in-place upgrade (reinstallation) of Windows XP
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;en-us;q315341

    This will completely reinstall WinXP itself, including SP2 if you use the
    slipstreamed CD, but will preserve your installed applications and data.

    Often, it is quicker and easier to reinstall WinXP than to track down and
    fix whatever is causing the various problems. These could have come from a
    virus or spyware or other malware - or from any of several other causes.

    RC
    --

> [...]
    >> the latest version of many of those files on your HD in the
    >> \Windows\ServicePackFiles\i386 folder; if SFC complains that it can't
    >> find
    >> the needed files on the CD, point it to that directory.
    >>
    >> If this is a new computer, still in warranty, you might need to discuss
    >> this
    >> problem with whoever sold it to you.
    >>
    >> RC
    >>
    >> "kali" <kali@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> >I have a gateway and windows was preinstalled on it, and yes I can boot
    >> >into
    >> > safe mode. The error message is... Windows file protection.... Files
    >> > that
    >> > are
    >> > required for windows to run properly have been replaced by an
    >> > unrecognized
    >> > version of windows, must restore the original version of the

Computers CD-Rom Error Message Windows XP