HotHardware looks at ASUS X800pro

A bunch of benchies, with the older cards added as reference points. Only 2 OC'ed results though, despite GF6800GT OC'd results throughout.

Nice Bundle, but really the Freakin' web cam! Gimme something useful!

<A HREF="http://www.hothardware.com/viewarticle.cfm?articleid=533" target="_new">http://www.hothardware.com/viewarticle.cfm?articleid=533</A>

- You need a licence to buy a gun, but they'll sell anyone a stamp <i>(or internet account)</i> ! - <font color=green>RED </font color=green> <font color=red> GREEN</font color=red> GA to SK :evil:

xeenrecoil

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2003
Omg im gonna sue Asus for sexual harrasment, tisk tisk they are advocating cyber sex, o wait i am probably just reading too much into them bundling the graphics card with a web cam...ROFL

<font color=blue> <Archer> Cant this thing go any faster, I thought this was a Warp 5 Engine?
<Trip> Yeah, on paper... </font color=blue>

As many as Gigabyte sell with theirs. :lol:

Still prefer the EVIL boxes. Now if the girls looked like the chick from <A HREF="http://www.bloodrayne.com/loband/index.html" target="_new">BloodRayne</A>, maybe I'd consider it. :evil:

- You need a licence to buy a gun, but they'll sell anyone a stamp <i>(or internet account)</i> ! - <font color=green>RED </font color=green> <font color=red> GREEN</font color=red> GA to SK :evil:

TheRod

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2002
One more review that makes me consider switching to nVidia for my next GPU. The 6800GT will kick the ATI butt!

But, I wonder how much the 6800GT will stole higher 6800 models sales? Because, anything over the 6800GT is worthless???

--
It's tricky to use words like <b><font color=green>AMD</font color=green></b> or <b><font color=blue>Intel</font color=blue></b> in a signature some users could think your are biased.

But, I wonder how much the 6800GT will stole higher 6800 models sales? Because, anything over the 6800GT is worthless???
Exactly, and that's the point. Having slightly reduced cards that can OC well really hurts the Marquee cards, even with the cheaper memory the X800PROs go to XT speeds. The GT is a great buy, and really it even hurts the GF6800 because the lower it goes the lower they have to charge for the GF6800 to be worthwhile, and then what happens to the PCX5700 series?

Also the apparent easy modabiity of the X800pros will suck away alot of buyers like the R9500NP, and the FX5900XT -> 5950 did.

I'd really like to know how nV and ATI see these mods and deals. They could hurt sales, but the amount of people wiht the savy and gumption to do it, is still kinda limited.

Thats good for us who like to OC. With X800Pro and 6800GT. But it's a small nitch that OCs so they still will make their money on high end cards. Don't forget the guys who wont the lastest and greatest vid card. That will not OC. Unless he has a friend like scottchen who will do it for him :smile:

LOL!

Everybody needs a friend like scottchen to do their OC; and get their Parts, and Mod their cards..... :evil:

TheRod

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2002
I'd really like to know how nV and ATI see these mods and deals. They could hurt sales, but the amount of people wiht the savy and gumption to do it, is still kinda limited.
You are right, the enthousiasts are outnumbered by "Average Joe", but the problem, is that most Average Joe will buy "cheap" cards or MX/SE/non-pro variants thinking they get a good deal on a GPU.

I would like to know what is the profile of high-end card users? Are they enthousiasts, rich people, FanBoy?

I know one thing ofr sure, is that wise people like us will try to squeeze the maximum of their hardware and we will try to avoid being ripped off. Only 2 months before my next PC upgrade, and I'm still trying to find out what will be my next GPU.

--
It's tricky to use words like <b><font color=green>AMD</font color=green></b> or <b><font color=blue>Intel</font color=blue></b> in a signature some users could think your are biased.

Deadshade

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2004
"I would like to know what is the profile of high-end card users? Are they enthousiasts, rich people, FanBoy?"

This one I can answer :)

I am about to order a system based on Athlon FX 53 socket 939 and nVidia Ultra (probably the watercooled Gainward)

Rich ?
I don't know because that's a relative concept but in any case 1000 € more or less don't make a difference for me .

Knowledgeable ?
I could theoreticaly OC and otherwise tinker but ...

I mostly don't enjoy spending my time looking in the internals of a computer , testing , manipulating and screwing around .
The most precious thing I know is time - so I want a system that is :

a) most powerful there is
b) ready to be used without loosing time in any form
c) with sufficient lifetime so that I don't need to bother to order a new one again in 1 year .

TheRod

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2002
I mostly don't enjoy spending my time looking in the internals of a computer , testing , manipulating and screwing around .
The most precious thing I know is time - so I want a system that is :

a) most powerful there is
b) ready to be used without loosing time in any form
c) with sufficient lifetime so that I don't need to bother to order a new one again in 1 year .
I call you a "rich-enthousiast"! :smile: Since you have the money to buy the TOP components.

But money-wise I would buy an Athlon 64 3800+ instead of the FX-53. I bet you 1000$ that you could not see the difference between those 2 CPU if you run them side-by-side. And the 3800+ will have a long lifespan too, even the 3500+ would be sufficient...

But, you have the money! So buy it! If I had the money the buy an Athlon FX, I would certainly buy one. These are awesome CPU's.

--

TRENDING THREADS