Computer stats:
Soyo KT600 Dragon Plus motherboard
AMD XP 2000+
512MB Kingston PC3200 DDR RAM
Geforce FX 5900 XT
Antec 420W powersupply
WinXP SP1, all updates done
all chipset updates done
All items brand new, except for proccessor. Nothing is overclocked, everything runs cool (overheating not a problem).

Recent changes to system- was running Geforce Ti4600, and friend was using the GeforceFX 5900XT. All ran well with the Ti4600, until it died (it belonged to the guy who was borrowing the 5900XT, thus he gave my card back upon his old card's demise). No apparent damage done by the Ti4600 on its way out.

The problem: When running any game that requires effort on the part of the graphics card (UT2k4, Planetside, etc), computer reboots. With UT2k4, it'll load the map and function normally for a brief period of time. Planetside won't even finish loading before a reboot. No warning, no error. Occaissionally the computer will just lock up and a hard reboot is neccessary. I've done a complete cleanup of the drivers and whatnot, reinstalling the ForceWare 56.72 drivers for the 5900XT. Powersupply seems to be functioning normally, but I don't have any diagnostic tools to check it.

All suggestions and advice much appreciated, anything that leads to the solution of this problem will gain he/she who suggested it my eternal gratitude and possibly worship.

gothitbycar

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2002
Did they guy who borrowed it overclock the card at all? Does it ever show artifacts while your playing any game?

Try uninstalling the drivers again and using a driver clean up program, then install new ones again. If that doesn't work try a format, if that still doesnt work your card is boned.

-----------------------
[mind went blank]

although you said your powersupply was functioning normally, I'd have to say that that is the problem. Check the rails are within acceptable limits (+/- 10%)

My dick is so big, that my dick has a dick. And my dicks' dick is bigger than yours.

Voidmagus

Distinguished
Jul 5, 2004
No artifacts, no problems at all with normal windowsXP operation. Only when a game is run that uses the 5900XT (weaker games like Starcraft don't cause a reboot/lockup) does the problem occur. Reformatted- problem still occurs. Put the card in another computer, all ran fine. Put a Geforce4 ti4600 in my computer, all ran fine. Even strapped an extra powersupply on JUST for the 5900XT (used the dongle from the extra power supply for the graphics card, 400W for the rest of the components as per normal).

Is it possible that the card just doesn't work with my motherboard?

G

Try using a 4 pin connector that doesnt have anything else on it. DOnt put any HD/opticals etc on it xept maybe fans.
Even with good PSU if you have other stuff sucking juice on the same line might cause a problem.

Personnaly running a rig that should ask much more power on a 380TruePower so shouldnt be a problem but that really looks like a PSU problem to me.

Also try flashin to newest bios for MOBO/Vid card MIGHT help...

Asus P4P800DX, P4C 2.6ghz@3.25ghz, 2X512 OCZ PC4000 3-3-3-8, Leadtek FX5900 w/ FX5950U bios@500/1000, 2X30gig Raid0