Operating System: Microsoft Windows XP
Processor: Intel Pentium® 4 @ 2.53 GHz
Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce4 MX 420
Total Physical Memory: 512 MB
Motherboard Manufacturer:MICRO-STAR INTERNATIONAL CO., LTD
Motherboard Model: MS-6579
Sound Card: Inbuilt
Monitor: 15" TFT (Max Res. 1024*768)

I have a £150 budget, and need a new graphics card. Which mid range graphics card would you recommend that will allow me to play all latest and future games (HL2, Doom3)??

P.S. Please state any other upgrades you would recommend.
Help much appreciated. Thanx.

TheRod

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2002
The minimum to enjoy today's games and soem future games are either :

Radeon 9600 PRO or GeForce FX 5700 / FX 5900XT

Personnaly, I prefer the 9600 PRO, better IQ than the GeForce FX line. Many people do think that the GeForce FX 5900 XT is a great card, because it is highly overclockable. So, you can reach very high performance for the cost.

Don't buy 256Megs video card, 128Megs is enough and most of the time the 256Megs version have slower ram so they are slower or have less overclocking potential.

OTHER UPGRADES :
1. Overclock your system
2. keep your money to buy a completly better platform in a couple of months. Either based on LGA775 or Socket754/939.

Don't spend too much money on this system. Your CPU should be fast enough to run HL2 and Doom 3 if you get a Radeon 9600 PRO.

--
It's tricky to use words like <b><font color=green>AMD</font color=green></b> or <b><font color=blue>Intel</font color=blue></b> in a signature some users could think your are biased.

Yeah, I would second that recommendation.

The R9600XT/FX5900XT combo is a great value.

I'm not sure what the Euro market is like for old cards, but if he can swing an R9800pro for the same price that would be a good buy too of course.

- You need a licence to buy a gun, but they'll sell anyone a stamp <i>(or internet account)</i> ! - <font color=green>RED </font color=green> <font color=red> GREEN</font color=red> GA to SK :evil:

evulboo

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2004
i would recommend Connect3D ATI Radeon 9800 Pro 128MB DDR TV-Out/DVI - Retail

that will set u back £150.64 inc. vat and inc. p&p

im sure u can stretch ur budget by 64pence :)

<A HREF="http://www.overclockers.co.uk/acatalog/9700_to_9800_Series.html" target="_new">http://www.overclockers.co.uk/acatalog/9700_to_9800_Series.html</A>

If u do things right.... People won't be sure you've done anything at all......

pauldh

Illustrious
Hey Phoenix; I'd still recommend the same we talked about <A HREF="http://forumz.tomshardware.com/hardware/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&p=405897#405897" target="_new"> HERE</A>, the Radeon 9800 pro 128MB (256-bit). You can't do better for that price, and your system with that card compared to the MX420 will be far better off for gaming. Sure, a bigger monitor would be nice, but not needed to see a huge gaming improvement over your current card. For gaming, that GF4MX has to go. :smile:

ABIT IS7, P4 2.6C, 1GB Corsair XMS 4000 Pro Series, Radeon 9800 Pro, Santa Cruz, TruePower 430watt

Ph3oNix

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2004
Ok, thanx for the replies guys. Very helpful indeed.

Paulh, i made a second post to get new gfx card ideas. I know the Radeon 9800 Pro 128mb is a good card, but on my system its performence would be limited (especially by the max resolution of 1024*768), and so i feel i would be wasting my money.

Im happy with these new suggestions aswell. Il take a good look at these cards, price and reviews. Thanx a bunch guys.

P.S. How do i overclock my system? And woudl it actaully give a significant and noticeable improvement?

pauldh

Illustrious
Just don't forget, on new games like farcry and possibly HL2 and Doom3, even with the 9800 Pro, you won't be able to play at above 1024x768 with max details and remain smooth, so your monitor isn't going to hold you back from playing farcry at a higher resolution. Even if you had a 21" CRT, the R9800 Pro would struggle above 1024 and high details anyway. I am in that position. I have a 19" CRT and play almost all games at 1280x1024. But even with a slightly overclocked P4 2.6C and R9800 Pro, as well as 1GB of Ram, I am not happy with the fps and smoothness at 1280x1024 with the details as high as I like to set them. I have to play 1024x768 and custom details about = to high, just to keep the game nice and smooth. So even though my monitor supports 1600x1200, on farcry and probably the games to come out this year, I won't be able to play at that resolution. Although Joint Operations demo plays smooth at 1280x1024, not sure how HL2 and Doom 3 will play above 10x7.

On older games you will be as well off with the 9600 Pro, except you'll get to use AA/AF at higher levels on the 9800 Pro. But on newer games, you will have to turn the details down more on a R9600 pro than on the 9800 pro, even at 1024x768.
But then again, even the R9600 pro is night and day over your card, so it is still a major upgrade.

IMO, If you want it to last I say 9800 pro. If you are thinking of a complete new system in a year, then maybe 9600 pro.

ABIT IS7, P4 2.6C, 1GB Corsair XMS 4000 Pro Series, Radeon 9800 Pro, Santa Cruz, TruePower 430watt

Just remember that while the R9800's performance may be held back a little with your current rig in SOME situations, it will be a big benifit in others, like Pauldh says. Also consider that when you do upgrade the core of your system, if you stick with AGP then you have a healthier starting point and will only need to upgrade one part to play whatever later. Of course really, only upgrade for the games you find you need the power for, no point in looking too far into the future who knows what could be hiding around the corner. :wink:

I think any of the three choices will do you fine for the next while, just the R9800 may let you play at slightly higher settings.

Anywhoo, as always, just my two frames worth.

- You need a licence to buy a gun, but they'll sell anyone a stamp <i>(or internet account)</i> ! - <font color=green>RED </font color=green> <font color=red> GREEN</font color=red> GA to SK :evil:

Ph3oNix

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2004
Ok thanx for your help guys! Much appreciated.
So its the Radeon 9800 Pro that wins it?! Im gonna take a look around. Iv actually been debating whether to buy this card for about 2 months now, as i have VERY limited technical knowledge when it comes to Hardware. There are so many things that need to be looked at that i have no idea what they are.

BUT...i appreciate your comments, and am taking in your advice. Thanx a bunch.

PS. Overclock?

pauldh

Illustrious
You can enable coolbits to overclock NV cards. Use Rage3dtweak to overclock ATI cards. And your Pentium 4 is multiplier locked. To overclock that you have to raise the fsb (front side bus) in your bios. It will depend on the RAM you have and the motherboard, as well as the actual processor as to how high you can go and wether you can even OC at all. Someone recently linked to this guide for overclocking a Pentium 4, and it will help get you started should you chose to gain some free speed.

<A HREF="http://www.geocities.com/antireligionclub3/" target="_new">http://www.geocities.com/antireligionclub3/</A>

Yeah I second Rage3DTweak to start with.

Once you are comfortable with that you can fiddle with the other programs. Check out the Overclocking 3D chips forum for the latest info on that sbuject.

Good luck, let us know how it goes.