Windows Task Manager does not work

After a reboot, trying to access Task Manager (CTRL-ALT-DELETE) results in
message "Task Manager has been disabled by your administrator." That's me,
I'm my own administrator on Windows XP Home.

How can my administrator re-enable Task Manager? Asking him to do so has
proven ineffective.

What's known:

1. Using regedit to look at the registry key
hkey_current_user\software\microsoft\windows\currentversion\policies\system

Here's what I see:

Name: Type: Data:
(Default) REG_SZ (value not set)
DisableRegistryTools REG_DWORD (invalid DWORD value)
Disable TaskMgr REG_DWORD (invalid DWORD value)

What DWORD is needed to be inserted? How do I insert it?

2. When I try to run gpedit.msc I get an error message that the file can't
be found. I searched for gpedit.msc and the file doesn't exist on the
computer. The computer has 4 profiles.

3.I have been getting frequent WinMgmt errors in EventViewer -- Application
-- Error # 28, which says WinMgmt can't initialize core parts. These error
messages have been occuring for a week or two before Task Manager quit
working. Are these two connected?

What to do?
4 answers Last reply
More about windows task manager work

    "roofrabbit" <roofrabbit@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > After a reboot, trying to access Task Manager (CTRL-ALT-DELETE)
    > results in
    > message "Task Manager has been disabled by your administrator."
    > That's me,
    > I'm my own administrator on Windows XP Home.
    >
    > How can my administrator re-enable Task Manager? Asking him to do so
    > has
    > proven ineffective.
    >
    > What's known:
    >
    > 1. Using regedit to look at the registry key
    > hkey_current_user\software\microsoft\windows\currentversion\policies\system
    >
    > Here's what I see:
    >
    > Name: Type: Data:
    > (Default) REG_SZ (value not
    > set)
    > DisableRegistryTools REG_DWORD (invalid DWORD value)
    > Disable TaskMgr REG_DWORD (invalid DWORD value)
    >
    > What DWORD is needed to be inserted? How do I insert it?
    >
    > 2. When I try to run gpedit.msc I get an error message that the file
    > can't
    > be found. I searched for gpedit.msc and the file doesn't exist on the
    > computer. The computer has 4 profiles.
    >
    > 3.I have been getting frequent WinMgmt errors in EventViewer --
    > Application
    > -- Error # 28, which says WinMgmt can't initialize core parts. These
    > error
    > messages have been occuring for a week or two before Task Manager quit
    > working. Are these two connected?
    >
    > What to do?

    Hi,

    gpedit is not available in XP Home

    Scan your system for malware and other parasites. Here are some free
    programs.

    Adaware SE
    http://www.lavasoftusa.com/support/download

    Spybot - search and destroy

    Trend Micro's Housecall
    http://housecall.trendmicro.com/

    Once your system is cleaned and free of parasites, open the registry
    (Start>Run and type regedit).

    Navigate to the following sub key:
    HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System
    In the right-hand pane, locate "DisableTaskMgr" (REG_DWORD) and delete
    "DisableTaskMgr" or modify the value to 0.
    In the right-hand pane, locate "DisableRegistryTools" (REG_DWORD) and
    delete "DisableRegistryTools" or modify the value to 0.

    And Navigate to this following sub key: (The values may not be present
    here)
    HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System

    --
    William

    I think the values for both should be 0. rt click on each select modify
    and enter 0 for data value.
    Have you checked for Malware. If not, use all of these free sites

    http://www.kephyr.com/spywarescanner/index.html?source=appvisit

    http://housecall.trendmicro.com/

    http://www.webroot.com/

    "Rich Barry" wrote:

    > I think the values for both should be 0. rt click on each select modify
    > and enter 0 for data value.

    Thanks for replying. I'm having trouble doing this. I right-click on
    either REG_WORD or (invalid DWORD value) and a window appears with a single
    word "new ==>" Clicking on new gives a menu with items Key, String, Binary,
    DWORD, Multi-string, expandable string value. Selecting DWORD and typing 0
    results in this:

    Name: Type: Data:
    (Default) REG_SZ (value not set)
    DisableRegistryTools REG_DWORD (invalid DWORD value)
    Disable TaskMgr REG_DWORD (invalid DWORD value)
    0 REG_DWORD 0x00000000(0)

    I am expecting to see the invalid DWORD value be replaced with 0. What am I
    doing wrong?

    Also, I have the Lavasoft and the Spybot software installed. I will run
    these as soon as my virus scanner finishes scanning.

    rt click on the Name Disable Reg Tools and DisableTaskMgr NOT under
    Type Reg_Dword,
    "roofrabbit" <roofrabbit@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > After a reboot, trying to access Task Manager (CTRL-ALT-DELETE) results in
    > message "Task Manager has been disabled by your administrator." That's
    > me,
    > I'm my own administrator on Windows XP Home.
    >
    > How can my administrator re-enable Task Manager? Asking him to do so has
    > proven ineffective.
    >
    > What's known:
    >
    > 1. Using regedit to look at the registry key
    > hkey_current_user\software\microsoft\windows\currentversion\policies\system
    >
    > Here's what I see:
    >
    > Name: Type: Data:
    > (Default) REG_SZ (value not set)
    > DisableRegistryTools REG_DWORD (invalid DWORD value)
    > Disable TaskMgr REG_DWORD (invalid DWORD value)
    >
    > What DWORD is needed to be inserted? How do I insert it?
    >
    > 2. When I try to run gpedit.msc I get an error message that the file
    > can't
    > be found. I searched for gpedit.msc and the file doesn't exist on the
    > computer. The computer has 4 profiles.
    >
    > 3.I have been getting frequent WinMgmt errors in EventViewer --
    > Application
    > -- Error # 28, which says WinMgmt can't initialize core parts. These
    > error
    > messages have been occuring for a week or two before Task Manager quit
    > working. Are these two connected?
    >
    > What to do?

Microsoft Task Manager Windows XP