Windows Task Manager does not work

After a reboot, trying to access Task Manager (CTRL-ALT-DELETE) results in
message "Task Manager has been disabled by your administrator." That's me,
I'm my own administrator on Windows XP Home.

How can my administrator re-enable Task Manager? Asking him to do so has
proven ineffective.

What's known:

1. Using regedit to look at the registry key
hkey_current_user\software\microsoft\windows\currentversion\policies\system

Here's what I see:

Name: Type: Data:
(Default) REG_SZ (value not set)
DisableRegistryTools REG_DWORD (invalid DWORD value)
Disable TaskMgr REG_DWORD (invalid DWORD value)

What DWORD is needed to be inserted? How do I insert it?

2. When I try to run gpedit.msc I get an error message that the file can't
be found. I searched for gpedit.msc and the file doesn't exist on the
computer. The computer has 4 profiles.

3.I have been getting frequent WinMgmt errors in EventViewer -- Application
-- Error # 28, which says WinMgmt can't initialize core parts. These error
messages have been occuring for a week or two before Task Manager quit
working. Are these two connected?

What to do?

"roofrabbit" <roofrabbit@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> After a reboot, trying to access Task Manager (CTRL-ALT-DELETE)
> results in
> message "Task Manager has been disabled by your administrator."
> That's me,
> I'm my own administrator on Windows XP Home.
>
> How can my administrator re-enable Task Manager? Asking him to do so
> has
> proven ineffective.
>
> What's known:
>
> 1. Using regedit to look at the registry key
> hkey_current_user\software\microsoft\windows\currentversion\policies\system
>
> Here's what I see:
>
> Name: Type: Data:
> (Default) REG_SZ (value not
> set)
> DisableRegistryTools REG_DWORD (invalid DWORD value)
> Disable TaskMgr REG_DWORD (invalid DWORD value)
>
> What DWORD is needed to be inserted? How do I insert it?
>
> 2. When I try to run gpedit.msc I get an error message that the file
> can't
> be found. I searched for gpedit.msc and the file doesn't exist on the
> computer. The computer has 4 profiles.
>
> 3.I have been getting frequent WinMgmt errors in EventViewer --
> Application
> -- Error # 28, which says WinMgmt can't initialize core parts. These
> error
> messages have been occuring for a week or two before Task Manager quit
> working. Are these two connected?
>
> What to do?

Hi,

gpedit is not available in XP Home

Scan your system for malware and other parasites. Here are some free
programs.

Adaware SE
http://www.lavasoftusa.com/support/download

Spybot - search and destroy

Trend Micro's Housecall
http://housecall.trendmicro.com/

Once your system is cleaned and free of parasites, open the registry
(Start>Run and type regedit).

Navigate to the following sub key:
HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System
In the right-hand pane, locate "DisableTaskMgr" (REG_DWORD) and delete
"DisableTaskMgr" or modify the value to 0.
In the right-hand pane, locate "DisableRegistryTools" (REG_DWORD) and
delete "DisableRegistryTools" or modify the value to 0.

And Navigate to this following sub key: (The values may not be present
here)
HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System

--
William

I think the values for both should be 0. rt click on each select modify
and enter 0 for data value.
Have you checked for Malware. If not, use all of these free sites

http://www.kephyr.com/spywarescanner/index.html?source=appvisit

http://housecall.trendmicro.com/

http://www.webroot.com/

"Rich Barry" wrote:

> I think the values for both should be 0. rt click on each select modify
> and enter 0 for data value.

Thanks for replying. I'm having trouble doing this. I right-click on
either REG_WORD or (invalid DWORD value) and a window appears with a single
word "new ==>" Clicking on new gives a menu with items Key, String, Binary,
DWORD, Multi-string, expandable string value. Selecting DWORD and typing 0
results in this:

Name: Type: Data:
(Default) REG_SZ (value not set)
DisableRegistryTools REG_DWORD (invalid DWORD value)
Disable TaskMgr REG_DWORD (invalid DWORD value)
0 REG_DWORD 0x00000000(0)

I am expecting to see the invalid DWORD value be replaced with 0. What am I
doing wrong?

Also, I have the Lavasoft and the Spybot software installed. I will run
these as soon as my virus scanner finishes scanning.

rt click on the Name Disable Reg Tools and DisableTaskMgr NOT under
Type Reg_Dword,