POLL: What game did you never see then but love now?

I don't see pointless polls on here enough anymore, so here goes :)

What game(s) from the classic era did you never see or hear of when
they were new, but found and got hooked on them in recent times as you
got into collecting these old beasts?

I have a few.

* Reactor: Never heard of it, but finally saw it and played it at Tom
McClintock's place in 2001. Great game that I'm amazed I missed
originally.

* Q*bert's Qubes: I was a huge Q*bert fan as a kid, but had never
heard of this one until I got online in 1998. A full functioning
upright appeared at the Dallas Auction a few years ago, so I gave it a
try. Ended up playing it for about 90 minutes that morning.

* Sente Mini Golf: Silly entry on here, but hey... Came across one in
a Pac cab at a Dallas auction in 2001 and wanted to see how it played.
Ended up losing track of a lot of time.

Ok, folks....your turn.

http://www.HyperspaceArcade.com
17 answers Last reply
More about poll game love

    Quantum. Lotsa people give it an iffy-tilt-the-hand eeeeeh, but I love
    it! I'll probably never own one though.

    - Craig

    I never played Donkey Kong 3 for whatever reason til recently and have
    been playing for hours. I always thought it looked boring and kinda
    silly but man its addicting
    tim

    Definitely never saw these anywhere and love them a lot!

    Hat Trick, Galaga 88, In The Hunt, Burgertime (yes that's a terrible
    thing to confess but honestly I never saw the game anywhere)

    And thanks to the wonderful world of MAME I have discovered two great
    Japanese imports:
    Bomberman and the rather naughty Dancing Eyes

    computerspacefan@hotmail.com
    http://www.computerspacefan.com

    Blaster, Inferno, Sinistar (this is my "can't believe I never saw it" game),
    Spectar, and Gravitar.

    tim (NH)

    <scott@hyperspacearcade.com> wrote in message
    >I don't see pointless polls on here enough anymore, so here goes :)
    >
    > What game(s) from the classic era did you never see or hear of when
    > they were new, but found and got hooked on them in recent times as you
    > got into collecting these old beasts?
    >
    > I have a few.
    >
    > * Reactor: Never heard of it, but finally saw it and played it at Tom
    > McClintock's place in 2001. Great game that I'm amazed I missed
    > originally.
    >
    > * Q*bert's Qubes: I was a huge Q*bert fan as a kid, but had never
    > heard of this one until I got online in 1998. A full functioning
    > upright appeared at the Dallas Auction a few years ago, so I gave it a
    > try. Ended up playing it for about 90 minutes that morning.
    >
    > * Sente Mini Golf: Silly entry on here, but hey... Came across one in
    > a Pac cab at a Dallas auction in 2001 and wanted to see how it played.
    > Ended up losing track of a lot of time.
    >
    > Ok, folks....your turn.
    >
    > http://www.HyperspaceArcade.com

    not necessarily a classic but... puzzle bobble / bust-a-move... my wife
    and I play almost every night and it just never gets old..

    <scott@hyperspacearcade.com> wrote in message
    >I don't see pointless polls on here enough anymore, so here goes :)
    >
    > What game(s) from the classic era did you never see or hear of when
    > they were new, but found and got hooked on them in recent times as you
    > got into collecting these old beasts?
    >
    > I have a few.
    >
    > * Reactor: Never heard of it, but finally saw it and played it at Tom
    > McClintock's place in 2001. Great game that I'm amazed I missed
    > originally.
    >
    > * Q*bert's Qubes: I was a huge Q*bert fan as a kid, but had never
    > heard of this one until I got online in 1998. A full functioning
    > upright appeared at the Dallas Auction a few years ago, so I gave it a
    > try. Ended up playing it for about 90 minutes that morning.
    >
    > * Sente Mini Golf: Silly entry on here, but hey... Came across one in
    > a Pac cab at a Dallas auction in 2001 and wanted to see how it played.
    > Ended up losing track of a lot of time.
    >
    > Ok, folks....your turn.
    >
    > http://www.HyperspaceArcade.com

    Zektor and that TAC/Scan. I find them fun to play in MAME, but never saw
    one in the '80s.

    Back in the day the only Sega vector game I saw was Star Trek. I'm a bad
    geek - I've got a woman, I love sports, and hate Star Trek. That being
    said I always thought the Sega Star Trek game was pretty fun.

    Must be I never saw the other Sega vector games because someone swept up
    the ashes before I got there. ;)

    --
    Dave Bush <statman.onay.pamsay@twcny.rr.com>

    Remove the pig Latin to reply.
  7. Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade.collecting (More info?)

    Almost embarrassed to admit this- Star Wars. I never saw one "in the
    wild" back in my youth. I was part of the early generation of video
    addicts and remember when the first Space Invaders showed up at
    Godfather's Pizza in bicycle distance from my home. Right afterwards
    an Asteroids showed up right next to it and within a year a full blown
    arcade opened a few doors down in the same strip shopping center.

    1983 was about the time I bought my first car (65' Chevelle) with paper
    route money (at 14) so that might explain why I missed Star Wars.

    Mike Doyle
  8. Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade.collecting (More info?)

    Cosmic Chasm,
    Zektor,

    Troy,

    <scott@hyperspacearcade.com> wrote in message
    > I don't see pointless polls on here enough anymore, so here goes :)
    >
    > What game(s) from the classic era did you never see or hear of when
    > they were new, but found and got hooked on them in recent times as you
    > got into collecting these old beasts?
    >
    > I have a few.
    >
    > * Reactor: Never heard of it, but finally saw it and played it at Tom
    > McClintock's place in 2001. Great game that I'm amazed I missed
    > originally.
    >
    > * Q*bert's Qubes: I was a huge Q*bert fan as a kid, but had never
    > heard of this one until I got online in 1998. A full functioning
    > upright appeared at the Dallas Auction a few years ago, so I gave it a
    > try. Ended up playing it for about 90 minutes that morning.
    >
    > * Sente Mini Golf: Silly entry on here, but hey... Came across one in
    > a Pac cab at a Dallas auction in 2001 and wanted to see how it played.
    > Ended up losing track of a lot of time.
    >
    > Ok, folks....your turn.
    >
    > http://www.HyperspaceArcade.com

  9. Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade.collecting (More info?)

    Robotron 2084

    I'm from Australia and never saw one. I love it now though.

    --
    Ian
    The Pinny Parlour

    Clone: http://www.geocites.com/thepinnyparlour

    IPM Invader (coffee break invaders) http://www.geocities.com/ipminvader
  10. Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade.collecting (More info?)

    Geez...I started this thread and can't believe I forgot one...

    WARLORDS....heh.

    I never saw this game. I knew of it on the Atari 2600 but ignored it.
    Finally played it at Videotopia in 1998, and liked it. Sadly, I've
    only played the 2-player version....have yet to get behind a 4 player
    version.
  11. Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade.collecting (More info?)

    same here man... people diss DK3 but I think it's kinda fun. I really
    like the sounds.
    -Adam
  12. Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade.collecting (More info?)

    being one of the first 4 player home games, it was awesome. it makes me
    want to get a ds and 4 of those cartriges and find other people with
    ds's
  13. Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade.collecting (More info?)

    Granny and the Gators.

    I never saw one in the arcades "back in the day," but now that I have one, I
    love that dang game. MUCH more challenging than Baby Pac and more fun, IMO.

    Bill

    > I don't see pointless polls on here enough anymore, so here goes :)
    >
    > What game(s) from the classic era did you never see or hear of when
    > they were new, but found and got hooked on them in recent times as you
    > got into collecting these old beasts?
    >
    > I have a few.
    >
    > * Reactor: Never heard of it, but finally saw it and played it at Tom
    > McClintock's place in 2001. Great game that I'm amazed I missed
    > originally.
    >
    > * Q*bert's Qubes: I was a huge Q*bert fan as a kid, but had never
    > heard of this one until I got online in 1998. A full functioning
    > upright appeared at the Dallas Auction a few years ago, so I gave it a
    > try. Ended up playing it for about 90 minutes that morning.
    >
    > * Sente Mini Golf: Silly entry on here, but hey... Came across one in
    > a Pac cab at a Dallas auction in 2001 and wanted to see how it played.
    > Ended up losing track of a lot of time.
    >
    > Ok, folks....your turn.
    >
    > http://www.HyperspaceArcade.com

  14. Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade.collecting (More info?)

    colony 7----super fun game that will leave your hands sore!!

    asteroids deluxe---this one should be in everyone's collection :)
    i played the original at a bob's fried chicken resturant. i remember my
    uncle picking me up so i could see the screen. this is probably the
    first game i remember.

    journey---never seen this one at all. played it on mame and loved it.
    should be getting a cocktail in from mike freeland prettty soon :)

    i know there is more----need to peek in the garage.

    ronald
  15. Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade.collecting (More info?)

    Pooyan - which I got hooked on when it was released for the C64, I had only
    seen it once the arcades
    Bomberman (not the Neo Geo remake) - another fantasic coin op game
    Airwolf - a super tough 2d shooter
    Aeroblasters - another raiden type shooter

    Michael

    "Ron Jr." <Cegron@webtv.net> wrote in message
    > colony 7----super fun game that will leave your hands sore!!
    >
    > asteroids deluxe---this one should be in everyone's collection :)
    > i played the original at a bob's fried chicken resturant. i remember my
    > uncle picking me up so i could see the screen. this is probably the
    > first game i remember.
    >
    > journey---never seen this one at all. played it on mame and loved it.
    > should be getting a cocktail in from mike freeland prettty soon :)
    >
    > i know there is more----need to peek in the garage.
    >
    > ronald

  16. Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade.collecting (More info?)

    Hope its not too late to get in this. I will say Black Widow. I never
    heard about it, until I read about it SOMEWHERE, maybe on klov. I read
    that it plays like Robotron but its a color vector. The first time I
    played it was when I was buying it from Anthony at Quarterarcade. I
    love it, very intense game. How did I miss this back in the day??

    drew
  17. Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade.collecting (More info?)

    Peter Packrat.... Never saw it in the arcades, but then at an auction,
    a freind of mine commented on how much he loved the game when he was
    younger. I played it for a while and loved the music and the game
    play, so I decided to bid on it. Picked it up for $150, and it's been
    one of my favorites ever since. I love the game so much I rarely put
    any of the other games (MM,RB,IJ,RR) in the cabinet.

    Jim

    spok...@gmail.com wrote:
    > Hope its not too late to get in this. I will say Black Widow. I
    never
    > heard about it, until I read about it SOMEWHERE, maybe on klov. I
    read
    > that it plays like Robotron but its a color vector. The first time I
    > played it was when I was buying it from Anthony at Quarterarcade. I
    > love it, very intense game. How did I miss this back in the day??
    >
    > drew

Games Video Video Games