Upgrade XP Home SP2 to XP Pro SP1

May 3, 2005 8:10:29 PM

Hi All,

I have XP Pro SP1 CD upgrade version which was used for my old laptop.
Now I have bought a new HP laptop with Windows XP Home SP2.

1. How can I upgrade my new HP laptop to XP Pro SP2 using the CD (SP1) that
I have?

2. About licensing, my old laptop no longer works, while the license was
registered for that old laptop. Will I have problem when register that
license for my new HP laptop? If yes, how can I solve the problem?

Thank you for any help

Ben
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
May 3, 2005 8:35:01 PM

Actually one needs to perform a "clean installation" of pro from home.
However in this case,you can't transfer xp from one machine to another,
unless you purchase another copy of xp pro,stick with home.

"Ben" wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> I have XP Pro SP1 CD upgrade version which was used for my old laptop.
> Now I have bought a new HP laptop with Windows XP Home SP2.
>
> 1. How can I upgrade my new HP laptop to XP Pro SP2 using the CD (SP1) that
> I have?
>
> 2. About licensing, my old laptop no longer works, while the license was
> registered for that old laptop. Will I have problem when register that
> license for my new HP laptop? If yes, how can I solve the problem?
>
> Thank you for any help
>
> Ben

May 3, 2005 8:58:53 PM

> Actually one needs to perform a "clean installation" of pro from home.

What do you mean by "clean installation" ?
My old laptop is death, then the XP Pro SP1 CD upgrade version that I
purchased for that such laptop must go to hell with it?

You have any "clue" posted by Microsoft?

Thanks
Ben

> Actually one needs to perform a "clean installation" of pro from home.
> However in this case,you can't transfer xp from one machine to another,
> unless you purchase another copy of xp pro,stick with home.
>
> "Ben" wrote:
>
> > Hi All,
> >
> > I have XP Pro SP1 CD upgrade version which was used for my old laptop.
> > Now I have bought a new HP laptop with Windows XP Home SP2.
> >
> > 1. How can I upgrade my new HP laptop to XP Pro SP2 using the CD (SP1)
that
> > I have?
> >
> > 2. About licensing, my old laptop no longer works, while the license was
> > registered for that old laptop. Will I have problem when register that
> > license for my new HP laptop? If yes, how can I solve the problem?
> >
> > Thank you for any help
> >
> > Ben

a b D Laptop
May 3, 2005 10:51:51 PM

You will have to roll your Home SP2 back to SP1 or Slipstream a Pro Disk
with SP2 on it.
You can use nLite to Slipstream very easy and works great.
http://www.nliteos.com/

--
Good Day
River Rat

"Ben" <tainhan@hotmail.com> wrote in message
Hi All,

I have XP Pro SP1 CD upgrade version which was used for my old laptop.
Now I have bought a new HP laptop with Windows XP Home SP2.

1. How can I upgrade my new HP laptop to XP Pro SP2 using the CD (SP1) that
I have?

2. About licensing, my old laptop no longer works, while the license was
registered for that old laptop. Will I have problem when register that
license for my new HP laptop? If yes, how can I solve the problem?

Thank you for any help

Ben
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
May 3, 2005 11:19:07 PM

There will not be a problem with registering it for that will not be
necessary.
Registering is optional, Activation is mandatory.
As long as it is just installed on 1 computer you can activate it as many
times as needed.

--
Good Day
River Rat

"Ben" <tainhan@hotmail.com> wrote in message
Hi All,

I have XP Pro SP1 CD upgrade version which was used for my old laptop.
Now I have bought a new HP laptop with Windows XP Home SP2.

1. How can I upgrade my new HP laptop to XP Pro SP2 using the CD (SP1) that
I have?

2. About licensing, my old laptop no longer works, while the license was
registered for that old laptop. Will I have problem when register that
license for my new HP laptop? If yes, how can I solve the problem?

Thank you for any help

Ben
May 4, 2005 12:19:27 PM

Thank you for your great information about the Slipstream and Activation.
I start to work on the installation soon

Thanks again,

Ben

"River_Rat" <nospam@nospam> wrote in message
> There will not be a problem with registering it for that will not be
> necessary.
> Registering is optional, Activation is mandatory.
> As long as it is just installed on 1 computer you can activate it as many
> times as needed.
>
> --
> Good Day
> River Rat
>

> "Ben" <tainhan@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Hi All,
>
> I have XP Pro SP1 CD upgrade version which was used for my old laptop.
> Now I have bought a new HP laptop with Windows XP Home SP2.
>
> 1. How can I upgrade my new HP laptop to XP Pro SP2 using the CD (SP1)
that
> I have?
>
> 2. About licensing, my old laptop no longer works, while the license was
> registered for that old laptop. Will I have problem when register that
> license for my new HP laptop? If yes, how can I solve the problem?
>
> Thank you for any help
>
> Ben

Anonymous
a b D Laptop
May 4, 2005 3:34:16 PM

You're Welcome Ben
You can also do a clean install with an upgrade disk but will be required to
insert a CD of a previous upgradeable version of Windows at a point during
the installation.
Windows versions accepted for upgrade.
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;292607&Product=winxp

--