Upgrade XP Home SP2 to XP Pro SP1

Hi All,

I have XP Pro SP1 CD upgrade version which was used for my old laptop.
Now I have bought a new HP laptop with Windows XP Home SP2.

1. How can I upgrade my new HP laptop to XP Pro SP2 using the CD (SP1) that
I have?

2. About licensing, my old laptop no longer works, while the license was
registered for that old laptop. Will I have problem when register that
license for my new HP laptop? If yes, how can I solve the problem?

Thank you for any help

Ben
6 answers Last reply
More about upgrade home

    Actually one needs to perform a "clean installation" of pro from home.
    However in this case,you can't transfer xp from one machine to another,
    unless you purchase another copy of xp pro,stick with home.

    "Ben" wrote:

    > Hi All,
    >
    > I have XP Pro SP1 CD upgrade version which was used for my old laptop.
    > Now I have bought a new HP laptop with Windows XP Home SP2.
    >
    > 1. How can I upgrade my new HP laptop to XP Pro SP2 using the CD (SP1) that
    > I have?
    >
    > 2. About licensing, my old laptop no longer works, while the license was
    > registered for that old laptop. Will I have problem when register that
    > license for my new HP laptop? If yes, how can I solve the problem?
    >
    > Thank you for any help
    >
    > Ben

    > Actually one needs to perform a "clean installation" of pro from home.

    What do you mean by "clean installation" ?
    My old laptop is death, then the XP Pro SP1 CD upgrade version that I
    purchased for that such laptop must go to hell with it?

    You have any "clue" posted by Microsoft?

    Thanks
    Ben

    > Actually one needs to perform a "clean installation" of pro from home.
    > However in this case,you can't transfer xp from one machine to another,
    > unless you purchase another copy of xp pro,stick with home.
    >
    > "Ben" wrote:
    >
    > > Hi All,
    > >
    > > I have XP Pro SP1 CD upgrade version which was used for my old laptop.
    > > Now I have bought a new HP laptop with Windows XP Home SP2.
    > >
    > > 1. How can I upgrade my new HP laptop to XP Pro SP2 using the CD (SP1)
    that
    > > I have?
    > >
    > > 2. About licensing, my old laptop no longer works, while the license was
    > > registered for that old laptop. Will I have problem when register that
    > > license for my new HP laptop? If yes, how can I solve the problem?
    > >
    > > Thank you for any help
    > >
    > > Ben

    You will have to roll your Home SP2 back to SP1 or Slipstream a Pro Disk
    with SP2 on it.
    You can use nLite to Slipstream very easy and works great.
    http://www.nliteos.com/

    --
    Good Day
    River Rat

    "Ben" <tainhan@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    Hi All,

    I have XP Pro SP1 CD upgrade version which was used for my old laptop.
    Now I have bought a new HP laptop with Windows XP Home SP2.

    1. How can I upgrade my new HP laptop to XP Pro SP2 using the CD (SP1) that
    I have?

    2. About licensing, my old laptop no longer works, while the license was
    registered for that old laptop. Will I have problem when register that
    license for my new HP laptop? If yes, how can I solve the problem?

    Thank you for any help

    Ben

    There will not be a problem with registering it for that will not be
    necessary.
    Registering is optional, Activation is mandatory.
    As long as it is just installed on 1 computer you can activate it as many
    times as needed.

    --
    Good Day
    River Rat

    "Ben" <tainhan@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    Hi All,

    I have XP Pro SP1 CD upgrade version which was used for my old laptop.
    Now I have bought a new HP laptop with Windows XP Home SP2.

    1. How can I upgrade my new HP laptop to XP Pro SP2 using the CD (SP1) that
    I have?

    2. About licensing, my old laptop no longer works, while the license was
    registered for that old laptop. Will I have problem when register that
    license for my new HP laptop? If yes, how can I solve the problem?

    Thank you for any help

    Ben

    Thank you for your great information about the Slipstream and Activation.
    I start to work on the installation soon

    Thanks again,

    Ben

    "River_Rat" <nospam@nospam> wrote in message
    > There will not be a problem with registering it for that will not be
    > necessary.
    > Registering is optional, Activation is mandatory.
    > As long as it is just installed on 1 computer you can activate it as many
    > times as needed.
    >
    > --
    > Good Day
    > River Rat
    >

    > "Ben" <tainhan@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > Hi All,
    >
    > I have XP Pro SP1 CD upgrade version which was used for my old laptop.
    > Now I have bought a new HP laptop with Windows XP Home SP2.
    >
    > 1. How can I upgrade my new HP laptop to XP Pro SP2 using the CD (SP1)
    that
    > I have?
    >
    > 2. About licensing, my old laptop no longer works, while the license was
    > registered for that old laptop. Will I have problem when register that
    > license for my new HP laptop? If yes, how can I solve the problem?
    >
    > Thank you for any help
    >
    > Ben

    You're Welcome Ben
    You can also do a clean install with an upgrade disk but will be required to
    insert a CD of a previous upgradeable version of Windows at a point during
    the installation.
    Windows versions accepted for upgrade.
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;292607&Product=winxp

    --

    Thank you for your great information about the Slipstream and Activation.
    I start to work on the installation soon

    Thanks again,

    Ben

    "River_Rat" <nospam@nospam> wrote in message
    > There will not be a problem with registering it for that will not be
    > necessary.
    > Registering is optional, Activation is mandatory.
    > As long as it is just installed on 1 computer you can activate it as many
    > times as needed.
    >
    > --
    > Good Day
    > River Rat
    >

    > "Ben" <tainhan@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > Hi All,
    >
    > I have XP Pro SP1 CD upgrade version which was used for my old laptop.
    > Now I have bought a new HP laptop with Windows XP Home SP2.
    >
    > 1. How can I upgrade my new HP laptop to XP Pro SP2 using the CD (SP1)
    that
    > I have?
    >
    > 2. About licensing, my old laptop no longer works, while the license was
    > registered for that old laptop. Will I have problem when register that
    > license for my new HP laptop? If yes, how can I solve the problem?
    >
    > Thank you for any help
    >
    > Ben

Laptops Windows XP CD-Rom HP Laptop