Dual Boot Question

I'm planning on installing Windows 98 SE and XP Pro on my pc. I've read
everything at Microsoft but I'm unsure about one thing. I have one 40gig HD
and was planning on having a 3 or 4 gig partition for 98SE (I'm only using
it for a few older games) and the rest for XP. The articles I read said I
had to install XP last, will I be able to partition my HD while installing
98SE or do I need to use a partition program?
8 answers Last reply
More about dual boot question

    You can partition your drive with a small 4 gig partition with a Startup
    Disk using FDisk and create a dos partition and then install 98 on it, then
    you can boot from the XP CD and it will see the 98 install and you can
    finish partitioning and installing XP.
    How to create a Win98 Startup Disk.
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/q187632/

    How to fdisk and format hard drive
    http://www.perfectdrivers.com/howto/fdisk-format.html

    A couple of things to remember.
    You will have to delete the non-dos partition from FDisk if you have a NTFS
    format, you will loose all your data.
    You will not need to worry about partitioning the rest of your drive from
    Fdisk, you can do that from the XP cd.
    Your Win98 partition will be Fat32 format and if you format XP to NTFS then
    98 will not be able to see the NTFS Files but XP will be able to see the
    Fat32 Files, this will not create a problem.

    I am running the same setup for diagnostic reasons when working on 98
    machines.

    Windows XP Clean Install
    http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase/windowsxp_sg_clean.asp

    --
    Good Day
    River Rat

    crash_sc wrote:
    > I'm planning on installing Windows 98 SE and XP Pro on my pc. I've read
    > everything at Microsoft but I'm unsure about one thing. I have one 40gig HD
    > and was planning on having a 3 or 4 gig partition for 98SE (I'm only using
    > it for a few older games) and the rest for XP. The articles I read said I
    > had to install XP last, will I be able to partition my HD while installing
    > 98SE or do I need to use a partition program?

    The simplest way I've found to dual boot between Win9x/Me and WinXP
    would be to partition your drive(s) roughly as follows:

    C: Primary FAT32 Win9x/Me/Legacy Apps
    D: Extended NTFS WinXP/Modern Apps

    Adjust the partition sizes according to your actual hard drive(s)
    size and the amount of space you'd like to allocate to each OS and its
    applications.

    Create the partitions using Win9x's FDISK so you can enable large
    disk support (FAT32). (No need for 3rd party partitioning
    utilities/boot managers and their frequent complications.)

    Install Win9x/Me first, being sure to select "C:\Windows" (or
    D:\Windows, if you prefer) when asked for the default Windows
    directory. When you subsequently install WinXP, be sure to specify
    "D:\Winnt" (or "D:\Windows," "C:\Winnt" as referred/applicable) when
    asked for the default Windows directory, to place it in the other
    partition. The WinXP installation routine will automatically set up a
    Multi-boot menu for you. The default settings for this menu can be
    readily edited from within WinXP. NOTE: If you elect to place
    Win9x/Me on the "D:" drive, you'll _have_ to leave the "C:" drive as
    FAT32.

    This method can be adapted to using 2 physical hard drives by
    placing the boot partition (C:, which still must be FAT32) and either
    of the operating systems on the Primary Master hard drive, and the
    second operating system on the second hard drive.

    It is also possible to have a 3rd partition for shared
    applications, but it would be necessary for such a partition to be
    formatted in the common file format (FAT32). The applications would
    also have to be installed into each OS (to ensure proper system file
    placement and registry updates), one at a time, but the bulk of the
    program files could be located on this common partition. I do not,
    however, actually recommend doing this as, if you were to uninstall
    such an application from one OS, you may not be able to gracefully
    uninstall it from the second OS, having already deleted crucial
    installation data during the first uninstall action.

    Just about everything you need to know (URLs may wrap):

    http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q217/2/10.ASP

    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/pro/using/howto/gettingstarted/multiboot.asp

    --

    Bruce Chambers

    Help us help you:
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    both at once. - RAH

    You can use fdisk on the Win 98 Startup disk.

    "crash_sc" <coxmarshall@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
    > I'm planning on installing Windows 98 SE and XP Pro on my pc. I've read
    > everything at Microsoft but I'm unsure about one thing. I have one 40gig
    > HD and was planning on having a 3 or 4 gig partition for 98SE (I'm only
    > using it for a few older games) and the rest for XP. The articles I read
    > said I had to install XP last, will I be able to partition my HD while
    > installing 98SE or do I need to use a partition program?

    I have a problem making the 98 boot disk. I have a 98SE cd, and I found the
    ebd program I'm supposed to use, but when I try to run it I get an error
    message:

    "C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\AUTOEXEC.NT. The system file is not suitable for
    running MS-DOS and Microsoft Windows applications."

    Right now I'm using XP Home, I tried running the ebd program from my HD
    under Windows 98 compatibility, but I got the same message. Is there a way
    to get around that?

    Copy the autoexec.nt file from C:\Windows\Repair to
    C:\Windows\System32.
    And set Attributes for autoexec.nt to Read-only

    |I have a problem making the 98 boot disk. I have a 98SE cd, and I
    found the
    | ebd program I'm supposed to use, but when I try to run it I get an
    error
    | message:
    |
    | "C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\AUTOEXEC.NT. The system file is not suitable
    for
    | running MS-DOS and Microsoft Windows applications."
    |
    | Right now I'm using XP Home, I tried running the ebd program from my
    HD
    | under Windows 98 compatibility, but I got the same message. Is there
    a way
    | to get around that?

    Do you know someone with a 98 or ME computer then you can make one real
    easy.
    http://www.winxpcentral.com/basics/win98bootdisk.php

    --

    "Ricky" <rsjoiner@no_spambellsouth.net> wrote in message
    > Copy the autoexec.nt file from C:\Windows\Repair to
    > C:\Windows\System32.
    > And set Attributes for autoexec.nt to Read-only

    Ok, it worked fine at first. As the ebd was being made I got another error
    message:
    "An application has attempted to directly access the hard disk, which cannot
    be supported. This may cause the application to function incorrectly."

    I chose to ignore it, but it didn't make the boot disk. I also tried making
    the disk on a machine running W2K Pro with the same result. I'm using
    administrator accounts on both pc's.

    Have a look here..
    http://www.bootdisk.com/

    | "Ricky" <rsjoiner@no_spambellsouth.net> wrote in message
    | > Copy the autoexec.nt file from C:\Windows\Repair to
    | > C:\Windows\System32.
    | > And set Attributes for autoexec.nt to Read-only
    |
    | Ok, it worked fine at first. As the ebd was being made I got another
    error
    | message:
    | "An application has attempted to directly access the hard disk,
    which cannot
    | be supported. This may cause the application to function
    incorrectly."

    | I chose to ignore it, but it didn't make the boot disk. I also tried
    making
    | the disk on a machine running W2K Pro with the same result. I'm
    using
    | administrator accounts on both pc's.

Partition Microsoft Windows XP