Blackberry's GPRS protocols ?

Since networks like Microcell don't provide routable IP adresses to phones,
and since Blackberry servers are supposedly able to push content to the
phone/blackberry, does anyone know how this is accomplished ?

Does the handheld unit establish an IP connection that it keeps active at all
times so that the server is able to send it packets at any time ?

Or is there some sort of protocol that GSM network secretly support to allow a
remore server to connect to a Blackberry handset ?

I don't know how it works, but I do know that blackberries can work on the
Fido network. I know some RIM employees are (or were) on Fido.

I also believe some US Blackberry providers roam on Fido