Ok I decided to get the ATI X800 XT

Cobane

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2004
After reading the artical on the front page I have come to the conclusion that ATI is the best route for me. The 6800 doesnt seem stable to me. From image quality issues to the expensive power supply. Plus the ATI card just seems more focused on todays games and near future games. By the time any good games with shader model 3.0 comes out a new nvidia will be out then I will get one of those. Because I would really like to go with Nvidia, but now there just not up to par I think.

So now where is a good place to get the ASUS card or best ati platnum Edition?

phial

Splendid
Oct 29, 2002
you might wanna take a minute and consdier the 6800gt

-------
<A HREF="http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/you.html" target="_new">please dont click here! </A>
<A HREF="http://www.subhi.com/keyboard.jpg" target="_new">This is you, interweb junky</A>

Cobane

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2004
Please explain why a 6800 gt would be a better buy then the x800xt PE. Its not the money. Its the quality and perfomance I want. The best of the best. But I am listening to what you have to say.

baldurga

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2002
Hi Cobane,

Initially it seems ATI has the lead, but some after weeks I am starting to think that price/performance is not so clear on ATI side, but on Nvidia side.

BUT I also balance other things, and two are really worth to mention IMO:

- power consumption: I have a 300W generic power supply, and I don't want to buy a new one. ATI's cards need less power, and I think X800Pro is very well balanced (look at THG review for exemple)

- heat: related with power consumption. 6800 design equals ALL heat will go into your case and, what's more, probably create some turbulence with the intake fun I (and probably a lot of us) have. Currently I have a PCI blower that sucks most of the heat generated by my GPU.

- Size. Finally, I don't like the 2PCI design, heavy. That point is very personal, specially if you have enough PCI slots free or like the GPU look.

Anyway, if you really want the best of the best AND money is not an issue, Nvidia is the way to go (yes, with new PSU probably! :wink: )

Still looking for a <b>good online retailer</b> in Spain :frown:

pauldh

Illustrious
I haven't made up my mind as to which is better. Currently, the X800XTpe is still the speed champ at the most stressful settings and paired with the quickest CPU. But if you don't have a beast of a system, there really isn't enough gain going to the XTpe from the 6800GT. I disagree that the 6800U is the best of the best. OGL yes, but all in all I haven't seen anything YET to convince me the 6800U has won this round. It has the potential to win, but the XTpe still has the raw power edge in DX9 titles.

To me if money is no object I'd go with the XTpe as my last AGP card, and then upgrade my whole system in a year or so. And the retail ATI has been available for $400, so even the rich can get a bargain. Of course a few people grabbed 6800GT's from Compusa for $280, so that was more of a steal. I wish I was one of those people.

ABIT IS7, P4 2.6C, 1GB Corsair XMS 4000 Pro Series, Radeon 9800 Pro, Santa Cruz, TruePower 430watt

Worf101

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2004
Good luck trying to find one under $650.00 on Ebay. I've been searching for the same card since I began building my rig over a month ago. Can't be had, for love nor money. I've on on pre-order from Gateway, but I'm not sure I'll ever get it. I got me a cheepo card to help me bide my time till then. But don't hold your breath on getting one for at least a month or more.

Da Worfster

If you don't stand for something, you'll fall for anything.

Yeah, the picture is far more uncertain than any previous time IMO.

The top card for the most part is the X800XTPE, and it is available, and cheaper than the GF6800U, let alone UE.

However the GT is a very good price performer.

So for the classes I'd say the best choices IMO are;

X800XTPE
GF6800GT
GF6800
R9800PRO/XT (can beat the GF6800 when using AA/AF)
X600XT
X300
GMA900

Of course once the newer card come out things will change, and they will also depending on pricing.

- You need a licence to buy a gun, but they'll sell anyone a stamp <i>(or internet account)</i> ! - <font color=green>RED </font color=green> <font color=red> GREEN</font color=red> GA to SK :evil:

pauldh

Illustrious
I ordered one of those from Gateway also. Just to let you know, I had emailed ATI asking for confirmation on that manufacturers part number, and the part Gateway is selling us is the retail box BBA X800XT platinum edition. Even though they just said XT it is an XTpe. Hopefully we do get it. But If I could find a 6800GT for under $300 shipped, I'd cancel the Gateway order.

ABIT IS7, P4 2.6C, 1GB Corsair XMS 4000 Pro Series, Radeon 9800 Pro, Santa Cruz, TruePower 430watt<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Pauldh on 07/07/04 08:08 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

Worf101

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2004
Yeah, I pre-ordered one as well from Gateway. NewEgg and others' are JUST starting to get some more X800's but no indication of XTPE's. Sigh I can wait though. This machine's a monster even with an old Xtasy 9600se

The X800Pro is a great moder, I should've put that in with an asterix, since in the right hands (like SpeedUK's) it can be a sweet card! Even as a base model it is a GOOD card, but I give the GT a slight nod/edge.

If price and availability are factored in then usually the X800pro becomes very attractive, but all things being equal if the GT to me is like a 77/100 and the Pro is like 72/100 with the potential of much more with a mod.

Anywhoo, just telling it like I see it.

- You need a licence to buy a gun, but they'll sell anyone a stamp <i>(or internet account)</i> ! - <font color=green>RED </font color=green> <font color=red> GREEN</font color=red> GA to SK :evil:

Worf101

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2004
Interesting observations. You can get a X800 Pro now for a little under list, and anywhere between $390 to 450.00 US. But it is available. I may go that route if I don't get an XT by the end of the month.

Da Worfster

Another X800pro versus regular GF6800 and GT review at FiringSquad, should give a better idea of the results based on the games/settings you like to play with the latest drivers (4.7 v 61.45).

<A HREF="http://firingsquad.com/hardware/gigabyte_gv-r80p25d_x800_pro/" target="_new">http://firingsquad.com/hardware/gigabyte_gv-r80p25d_x800_pro/</A>

Interesting UT2K4, Splinter Cell and even FarCry seem very CPU limited, even with everything turned up, nearly identical ties under all settings (almost look like V-sync is on, but then again this isn't an Anand review :wink: ).

Some nice OC'ed return, but it would have been nice to see them compared to the other results throughout the review, to get a beter overall picture. For the most part like I said, there are GT and PRO wins, with more going to the GT in this select group. Your mileage may vary as usual.