Good video card for tv out?

impseth

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2004
I'm sure this will make some of you jealous ;). I just bought a 27" HD-Ready TV. Which means that it can display the resolution of a HDTV but doesn't come with a decoder built into it.

What I'm trying to do is connect a computer to it. I've got a Voodoo3 3500(with the AV pod) video card currently, but the screen is still really fuzzy and hard to read(though it's a lot easier than on my previous 19"). As far as I can tell, because the TV is still getting an analog signal(I'm using composite cable for it) it's displaying it at a normal tv's resolution(which is dismal).

The TV does come with component video inputs and I've seen some VGA-component converters but their a little pricey. I've been told that the better your video card the better your picture, even if it is still analog, so I'm wavering between spending a bunch of money on a vga-converter or buying a new video card. I've been told that the Nvidia GFX 5200 is pretty good and will give close to monitor resolution but I'd like to know for sure, and there is not a lot of information out there about using a tv set as your monitor. Any and all help or suggestions on an even better video card for this is greatly appreciated. Thanks guys.

(edit:hmmmm, I suppose the biggest questions I'm asking are what video card do I have to buy if I want monitor quality picture on my tv? And what video card can I buy that will still give me good picture but won't cost me a pound of flesh?)
<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by impseth on 07/07/04 03:26 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

baldurga

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2002
Well, my recommendation will go for ATI cards instead of FX series. Also 5200 is really a bad car, horrible performance/price ratio. I would even buy an ATI 9200SE against a 5200! You can give it a try, cost less than $45.

Don't know if you plan to play games, but you can look at THG graphic charts to have an idea.

ATIs new offerings are mostly the same hardware but with some fuzzy words, one of them "HD"-everything. Give a read to the X800 reviews and see if is what you are looking for, but that would cost a lot of money.

Hope this helps!

Still looking for a <b>good online retailer</b> in Spain :frown:

impseth

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2004
Ya, thanks. I've got a ATI 9200 SE in my computer so I'll prolly try that and change them around. Not that I want to keep that kind of setup for very long mind you, having to get stuck with the 3500 again would be a little depressing. I'm looking at some ATI AIW cards and Tom's has said good things about the 7500, I've also heard nice words about the 8500 LE, can anybody confirm this or suggest something better. I'd like to keep the price tag below $300. Thanks. Oh yeah, the setup I'm trying to get is actually for my mom, so it's going to be used for general purpose computing. Minimal in the way of games, some movies and video, and lots of text and websurfing;).

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by impseth on 07/07/04 06:24 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

baldurga

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2002
$300???

Man, you have a big budget! Only top of the line AIW are out of reach, but you can afford all the others.

My suggestion is take special consideration with Remote. Not all cards go with the new Remote Wonder II, and for reviews it seems and improved and worth succesor of origianl RW.

Some cards are cheaper because they go with old RW. You can give a try and later buy the RWII. Or buy directly a card with it. IIRC 9600XT comes with the new one.

To sum up, it's up to you as far as you take all elements into consideration. You will end up with a nice setup!

impseth

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2004
Well I threw in my Radeon 9200 and it works a lot better going through S-video and 1024x768 resolution but still not perfect. I found out about a DVI-I/VGA to component video adapter for ATI cards made by ATI: http://www.ati.com/products/hdtvadapter/faq.html

and am thinking of going for a Radeon 9600 and then ordering the adapter. Anybody else think this is a good idea? ATI says the adapter can do 480i/p 720p and 1080i.

baldurga

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2002
Don't know of anybody that has tried, but sounds reasonable. For instance, lot of 9600 cards come with DVI-VGA adapter, so probably you don't need to buy it.

And I suggest you to look at online retailers apart from ATI, for exemple Newegg. Prices are really competitive and the service provided very good.

Tell us the final result!

impseth

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2004
I love to be able to try and buy the adapter somewhere else but it's sold only through ATI's website for some reason. The other problem I have is what's the difference between an ATI All-In-Wonder card and a card that isn't AIW but still has the same connectors? Is it the software suite?

baldurga

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2002
AIW has MORE connectors, for exemple TV input signal. Also a special connector is used because it is impossible to fit all of them is the area provided by the card. Some ATI cards may have VIVO (Video In / Video Out), but is NOT TV signal. That's the difference.

Obviously with AIW also comes additional software for TV functionallity (select channels, record programs, schedule recordings, etc.)

As an exemple here you have a picture of <A HREF="http://www.newegg.com/app/Showimage.asp?image=14-102-345-14.JPG/14-102-345-11.JPG/14-102-345-12.JPG/14-102-345-13.JPG/14-102-345-09.JPG" target="_new">AIW</A> and <A HREF="http://www.newegg.com/app/Showimage.asp?image=14-102-320-05.JPG/14-102-320-04.JPG/14-102-320-03.JPG/14-102-320-02.JPG/14-102-320-01.JPG" target="_new">non-AIW</A> card. And this <A HREF="http://www.newegg.com/app/Showimage.asp?image=14-121-501-05.JPG/14-121-501-04.JPG/14-121-501-03.JPG/14-121-501-07.JPG/14-121-501-06.JPG" target="_new">other</A> has VIVO functionallity (have the same connectors as the non-AIW)

Hope this helps!