hidden file

I've tried searching for this file but nothing comes up. I looked through
just about every place I can think of and still nothing. Every time I boot up
my computer a message comes up and asks me if I want to start this hack. I
click no everytime and thankfully nothing happens. I just want to get rid of
it. Can anyone help me?
20 answers Last reply
More about hidden file

    Hi

    What is the name of the file and the error message you see?

    --

    Will Denny
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

    "Josh" <Josh@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > I've tried searching for this file but nothing comes up. I looked through
    > just about every place I can think of and still nothing. Every time I boot
    > up
    > my computer a message comes up and asks me if I want to start this hack. I
    > click no everytime and thankfully nothing happens. I just want to get rid
    > of
    > it. Can anyone help me?

    It's not really an error message. I think it's part of the program/file
    asking if I want to start it up.

    "Will Denny" wrote:

    > Hi
    >
    > What is the name of the file and the error message you see?
    >
    > --
    >
    > Will Denny
    > MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
    > Please reply to the News Groups
    >

    > "Josh" <Josh@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > I've tried searching for this file but nothing comes up. I looked through
    > > just about every place I can think of and still nothing. Every time I boot
    > > up
    > > my computer a message comes up and asks me if I want to start this hack. I
    > > click no everytime and thankfully nothing happens. I just want to get rid
    > > of
    > > it. Can anyone help me?

    Hi

    Have a look in msconfig>startup to see if the file is referenced there. If
    so, uncheck it and reboot your system.

    --

    > It's not really an error message. I think it's part of the program/file
    > asking if I want to start it up.
    >
    > "Will Denny" wrote:
    >
    >> Hi
    >>
    >> What is the name of the file and the error message you see?
    >>
    >> --
    >>
    >> Will Denny
    >> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
    >> Please reply to the News Groups
    >>

    >> "Josh" <Josh@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> > I've tried searching for this file but nothing comes up. I looked
    >> > through
    >> > just about every place I can think of and still nothing. Every time I
    >> > boot
    >> > up
    >> > my computer a message comes up and asks me if I want to start this
    >> > hack. I
    >> > click no everytime and thankfully nothing happens. I just want to get
    >> > rid
    >> > of
    >> > it. Can anyone help me?

    Could you tell me where I can find msconfig?

    "Will Denny" wrote:

    > Hi
    >
    > Have a look in msconfig>startup to see if the file is referenced there. If
    > so, uncheck it and reboot your system.
    >
    > --
    >
    > Will Denny
    > MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
    > Please reply to the News Groups
    >

    > "Josh" <Josh@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > It's not really an error message. I think it's part of the program/file
    > > asking if I want to start it up.
    > >
    > > "Will Denny" wrote:
    > >
    > >> Hi
    > >>
    > >> What is the name of the file and the error message you see?
    > >>
    > >> --
    > >>
    > >> Will Denny
    > >> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
    > >> Please reply to the News Groups
    > >>

    > >> "Josh" <Josh@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

    Hi

    From Start>Run type

    msconfig

    then click on the startup tab. You may have to drag the 'Command' column to
    the right to see if the file is referenced.

    --

    > Could you tell me where I can find msconfig?
    >
    > "Will Denny" wrote:
    >
    >> Hi
    >>
    >> Have a look in msconfig>startup to see if the file is referenced there.
    >> If
    >> so, uncheck it and reboot your system.
    >>
    >> --
    >>
    >> Will Denny
    >> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
    >> Please reply to the News Groups
    >>

    >> "Josh" <Josh@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> > It's not really an error message. I think it's part of the program/file
    >> > asking if I want to start it up.

    I found the startup menu and took it off, then rebooted my computer. The
    screen asking whether I want to start it or not has stopped coming up, but
    for some reason it still seems to run. In the startup menu it said that the
    file/program was located in 'SOFTWARE/Microsoft/Windows/Currentversion/Run'
    but I still can't find it. Do you have any suggestions?

    "Will Denny" wrote:

    > Hi
    >
    > From Start>Run type
    >
    > msconfig
    >
    > then click on the startup tab. You may have to drag the 'Command' column to
    > the right to see if the file is referenced.
    >
    > --
    >
    > Will Denny
    > MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
    > Please reply to the News Groups
    >

    > "Josh" <Josh@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > Could you tell me where I can find msconfig?
    > >
    > > "Will Denny" wrote:
    > >
    > >> Hi
    > >>
    > >> Have a look in msconfig>startup to see if the file is referenced there.
    > >> If
    > >> so, uncheck it and reboot your system.
    > >>
    > >> --
    > >>
    > >> Will Denny
    > >> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
    > >> Please reply to the News Groups
    > >>

    > >> "Josh" <Josh@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

    Hi

    That is a reference to a value in the Registry. If you go to Start>Run and
    then type

    regedit

    the Registry Editor will open. You will then have to navigate to that key
    in the left hand column and then for a reference to the file in the right
    hand column and delete it.

    However **please* back up that part of the Registry first via File>Export.
    Manually altering any value in the Registry can render your system
    unbootable.

    --

    >I found the startup menu and took it off, then rebooted my computer. The
    > screen asking whether I want to start it or not has stopped coming up, but
    > for some reason it still seems to run. In the startup menu it said that
    > the
    > file/program was located in
    > 'SOFTWARE/Microsoft/Windows/Currentversion/Run'
    > but I still can't find it. Do you have any suggestions?
    >
    > "Will Denny" wrote:
    >
    >> Hi
    >>
    >> From Start>Run type
    >>
    >> msconfig
    >>
    >> then click on the startup tab. You may have to drag the 'Command' column
    >> the right to see if the file is referenced.
    >>
    >> --
    >>
    >> Will Denny
    >> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
    >> Please reply to the News Groups
    >>

    >> "Josh" <Josh@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> > Could you tell me where I can find msconfig?

    I did what you said, and deleted it that way, but it still remains. Do you
    know how I could find it?

    "Will Denny" wrote:

    > Hi
    >
    > That is a reference to a value in the Registry. If you go to Start>Run and
    > then type
    >
    > regedit
    >
    > the Registry Editor will open. You will then have to navigate to that key
    > in the left hand column and then for a reference to the file in the right
    > hand column and delete it.
    >
    > However **please* back up that part of the Registry first via File>Export.
    > Manually altering any value in the Registry can render your system
    > unbootable.
    >
    > --
    >
    > Will Denny
    > MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
    > Please reply to the News Groups
    >

    > "Josh" <Josh@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > >I found the startup menu and took it off, then rebooted my computer. The
    > > screen asking whether I want to start it or not has stopped coming up, but
    > > for some reason it still seems to run. In the startup menu it said that
    > > the
    > > file/program was located in
    > > 'SOFTWARE/Microsoft/Windows/Currentversion/Run'
    > > but I still can't find it. Do you have any suggestions?
    > >
    > > "Will Denny" wrote:
    > >
    > >> Hi
    > >>
    > >> From Start>Run type
    > >>
    > >> msconfig
    > >>
    > >> then click on the startup tab. You may have to drag the 'Command' column
    > >> the right to see if the file is referenced.
    > >>
    > >> --
    > >>
    > >> Will Denny
    > >> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
    > >> Please reply to the News Groups
    > >>

    > >> "Josh" <Josh@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

    I don't see where you have mentioned the name of the file. My news server
    may have dropped it but what is the name of the file?

    "Josh" <Josh@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > I've tried searching for this file but nothing comes up. I looked through
    > just about every place I can think of and still nothing. Every time I boot
    > up
    > my computer a message comes up and asks me if I want to start this hack. I
    > click no everytime and thankfully nothing happens. I just want to get rid
    > of
    > it. Can anyone help me?

    Oh sorry about that. It's called SurvivalProjecthack. The link was a patch
    for this game and it turned out to be a hacking program. I don't want to use
    it though.

    "Fitz" wrote:

    > I don't see where you have mentioned the name of the file. My news server
    > may have dropped it but what is the name of the file?
    >

    > "Josh" <Josh@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > I've tried searching for this file but nothing comes up. I looked through
    > > just about every place I can think of and still nothing. Every time I boot
    > > up
    > > my computer a message comes up and asks me if I want to start this hack. I
    > > click no everytime and thankfully nothing happens. I just want to get rid
    > > of
    > > it. Can anyone help me?

    Navigate to C:\windows\prefetch. Delete all the files in the prefetch
    folder. Don't delete the folder itself. Make sure the item has not been
    added again in the msconfig startup group or in the run section of the
    registry (SOFTWARE/Microsoft/Windows/Currentversion/Run). Turn off system
    restore and reboot. If all is OK, re-enable system restore. If not, post
    back.

    > Oh sorry about that. It's called SurvivalProjecthack. The link was a patch
    > for this game and it turned out to be a hacking program. I don't want to
    > use
    > it though.
    >
    > "Fitz" wrote:
    >
    >> I don't see where you have mentioned the name of the file. My news
    >> server
    >> may have dropped it but what is the name of the file?
    >>

    >> "Josh" <Josh@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> > I've tried searching for this file but nothing comes up. I looked
    >> > through
    >> > just about every place I can think of and still nothing. Every time I
    >> > boot
    >> > up
    >> > my computer a message comes up and asks me if I want to start this
    >> > hack. I
    >> > click no everytime and thankfully nothing happens. I just want to get
    >> > rid
    >> > of
    >> > it. Can anyone help me?

  12. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

    How do I turn off system restore?

    "Fitz" wrote:

    > Navigate to C:\windows\prefetch. Delete all the files in the prefetch
    > folder. Don't delete the folder itself. Make sure the item has not been
    > added again in the msconfig startup group or in the run section of the
    > registry (SOFTWARE/Microsoft/Windows/Currentversion/Run). Turn off system
    > restore and reboot. If all is OK, re-enable system restore. If not, post
    > back.
    >

    > "Josh" <Josh@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > Oh sorry about that. It's called SurvivalProjecthack. The link was a patch
    > > for this game and it turned out to be a hacking program. I don't want to
    > > use
    > > it though.
    > >
    > > "Fitz" wrote:
    > >
    > >> I don't see where you have mentioned the name of the file. My news
    > >> server
    > >> may have dropped it but what is the name of the file?
    > >>

    > >> "Josh" <Josh@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

  13. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

    Right click My Computer>Select Properties>Select System Restore Tab. Check
    Turn Off System Restore.

    > How do I turn off system restore?
    >
    > "Fitz" wrote:
    >
    >> Navigate to C:\windows\prefetch. Delete all the files in the prefetch
    >> folder. Don't delete the folder itself. Make sure the item has not been
    >> added again in the msconfig startup group or in the run section of the
    >> registry (SOFTWARE/Microsoft/Windows/Currentversion/Run). Turn off
    >> system
    >> restore and reboot. If all is OK, re-enable system restore. If not,
    >> post
    >> back.
    >>

    >> "Josh" <Josh@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> > Oh sorry about that. It's called SurvivalProjecthack. The link was a
    >> > patch
    >> > for this game and it turned out to be a hacking program. I don't want
    >> > use
    >> > it though.

  14. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

    I did what you said and it's still there.

    "Fitz" wrote:

    > Right click My Computer>Select Properties>Select System Restore Tab. Check
    > Turn Off System Restore.
    >

    > "Josh" <Josh@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > How do I turn off system restore?
    > >
    > > "Fitz" wrote:
    > >
    > >> Navigate to C:\windows\prefetch. Delete all the files in the prefetch
    > >> folder. Don't delete the folder itself. Make sure the item has not been
    > >> added again in the msconfig startup group or in the run section of the
    > >> registry (SOFTWARE/Microsoft/Windows/Currentversion/Run). Turn off
    > >> system
    > >> restore and reboot. If all is OK, re-enable system restore. If not,
    > >> post
    > >> back.
    > >>

    > >> "Josh" <Josh@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

  15. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

    After you turned off System Restore and before you rebooted, did you check
    msconfig and make sure the file wasn't there? You said this was a patch
    that turned out to be a hacking program. Did you mean it was a game hack or
    a program that hackers use? What site did it come from? Do you still have
    the game installed?

    >I did what you said and it's still there.
    >
    > "Fitz" wrote:
    >
    >> Right click My Computer>Select Properties>Select System Restore Tab.
    >> Check
    >> Turn Off System Restore.
    >>

    >> "Josh" <Josh@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> > How do I turn off system restore?

  16. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

    No it's not there. This program is supposed to hack the game but I haven't
    played it much, just in case it worked. The only way I know it's still there
    is the game gives me a message that I'm running a hack or macro. I'm not sure
    what site it came from. I had the game installed, removed it, then
    reinstalled it.

    "Fitz" wrote:

    > After you turned off System Restore and before you rebooted, did you check
    > msconfig and make sure the file wasn't there? You said this was a patch
    > that turned out to be a hacking program. Did you mean it was a game hack or
    > a program that hackers use? What site did it come from? Do you still have
    > the game installed?
    >

    > "Josh" <Josh@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > >I did what you said and it's still there.
    > >
    > > "Fitz" wrote:
    > >
    > >> Right click My Computer>Select Properties>Select System Restore Tab.
    > >> Check
    > >> Turn Off System Restore.
    > >>

    > >> "Josh" <Josh@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

  17. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

    Hi,
    Download spywareBlaster.It helped me.

    It is free to use.

    On Sun, 8 May 2005 05:51:10 -0700, "Josh"
    <Josh@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

    >I did what you said and it's still there.
    >
    >"Fitz" wrote:
    >
    >> Right click My Computer>Select Properties>Select System Restore Tab. Check
    >> Turn Off System Restore.
    >>

    >> "Josh" <Josh@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> > How do I turn off system restore?

  18. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

    Alright...let's try this. I know you've done most of these tings before but
    let's take them in order.

    Disable System restore.
    Download updated virus definitions for your AV program.
    Download HijackThis (do a Google search) and see if anything suspicious is
    listed. Be careful.
    If you use Spybot, Spyare Guard, Adaware, or others, download latest
    definitions.
    If the hack is in MSCONFIG, note the path to the file then disable it in
    MSCONFIG.
    Follow the noted path and delete the file if found.
    Uninstall the game.
    Uninstall the hack (if present)
    If the hack is in the registry,
    (SOFTWARE/Microsoft/Windows/Currentversion/Run) delete it.
    While in the registry, do a search for the file and if found, delete all
    references to it.
    Open Task Manager and see if the hack is running in the process list.
    Navigate to the C:\Program files directory and delete the folder for the
    game (if present).
    Navigate to the C:\Program files and delete the folder for the hack (if
    present).
    Navigate to the C:\Windows\Prefetch and delete the contents (not the folder
    itself).
    Run a free online virus scan from somebody like
    www.pandasoftware.com./acvtivescan.
    Make notes of any suspicious things it finds but doesn't delete.
    Find those things from Panda and manually delete them.

    Restart in safe mode.

    Run your antivirus. If stuff is found, clean it and run again until nothing
    is found.
    Run Adaware and etc. If stuff is found, clean it and run again until
    nothing is found.
    If the hack is still in MSCONFIG, note the path to the file then disable it
    in MSCONFIG.
    Follow the noted path and delete the file if found.
    If the hack is in the registry,
    (SOFTWARE/Microsoft/Windows/Currentversion/Run) delete it.
    While in the registry, do a search for the file and if found, delete all
    references to it.
    Open Task Manager and see if the hack is running in the process list.
    Navigate to the C:\Program files directory and delete the folder for the
    game (if present).
    Navigate to the C:\Program files and delete the folder for the hack (if
    present).
    Look for those things from Panda that weren't cleaned and manually delete
    them (if present).

    Restart computer. Your computer has something listed somewhere that is
    calling this program to run when it starts. It may be in the registry,
    startup items or just hidden someplace sneaky. Also, I'm not clear on
    whether you are still getting the message on boot up or when you start the
    game. Let us know how the above works for you.

    > No it's not there. This program is supposed to hack the game but I haven't
    > played it much, just in case it worked. The only way I know it's still
    > there
    > is the game gives me a message that I'm running a hack or macro. I'm not
    > sure
    > what site it came from. I had the game installed, removed it, then
    > reinstalled it.
    >
    > "Fitz" wrote:
    >
    >> After you turned off System Restore and before you rebooted, did you
    >> check
    >> msconfig and make sure the file wasn't there? You said this was a patch
    >> that turned out to be a hacking program. Did you mean it was a game hack
    >> or
    >> a program that hackers use? What site did it come from? Do you still
    >> have
    >> the game installed?
    >>

    >> "Josh" <Josh@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> >I did what you said and it's still there.

  19. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

    Ok. I did all of that and it appeares to be gone. I can't truely see until a
    few days. I used to have Norton Anti-Virus but someone in my family deleted
    it. Thanks for all your help.

    "Fitz" wrote:

> [...]
    >

    > "Josh" <Josh@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > No it's not there. This program is supposed to hack the game but I haven't
    > > played it much, just in case it worked. The only way I know it's still
    > > there
    > > is the game gives me a message that I'm running a hack or macro. I'm not
    > > sure
    > > what site it came from. I had the game installed, removed it, then
    > > reinstalled it.
    > >
    > > "Fitz" wrote:
    > >
    > >> After you turned off System Restore and before you rebooted, did you
    > >> check
    > >> msconfig and make sure the file wasn't there? You said this was a patch
    > >> that turned out to be a hacking program. Did you mean it was a game hack
    > >> or
    > >> a program that hackers use? What site did it come from? Do you still

  20. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

    If you still have problems, post a new thread. Good luck.

> [...]
    >>
    >> Restart computer. Your computer has something listed somewhere that is
    >> calling this program to run when it starts. It may be in the registry,
    >> startup items or just hidden someplace sneaky. Also, I'm not clear on
    >> whether you are still getting the message on boot up or when you start
    >> the
    >> game. Let us know how the above works for you.
    >>

    >> "Josh" <Josh@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> > No it's not there. This program is supposed to hack the game but I
    >> > haven't
    >> > played it much, just in case it worked. The only way I know it's still
    >> > there
    >> > is the game gives me a message that I'm running a hack or macro. I'm
    >> > not
    >> > sure
    >> > what site it came from. I had the game installed, removed it, then

Microsoft Windows XP