ntfs, bootitng

May 5, 2005 1:45:08 AM

i want to convert my fat32 winxp to ntfs.

I need to do 2 things
1)boot up with bootitng and create clusters
2) run convert to get ntfs on

I cant do step 1)

I downloaded the bootitng.zip file and create a bootable CD as directions
say with nero6. This is to allocate clusters properly. before running
convert .....the only thing is it doesnt work

How do I create the bootable CD with bootitng.
I create and copy file bootitng.iso to cd and create bootable CD so it
copies stuff from bootfloppy as well.

After creating the CD and reboot machine and get to a A> with no floppy in
the drive, just the CD.............huh?

how do I create the boot disk so bootitng will load on rebooting.........
the instructions that came with didnt explain this well

More about : ntfs bootitng

Anonymous
May 5, 2005 1:45:09 AM

To do what you want you only need this:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;es;307881

"gp" <grum@invalid> escribió en el mensaje news:4278b5c8$0$8122$afc38c87@news.optusnet.com.au...
>i want to convert my fat32 winxp to ntfs.
>
> I need to do 2 things
> 1)boot up with bootitng and create clusters
> 2) run convert to get ntfs on
>
> I cant do step 1)
>
> I downloaded the bootitng.zip file and create a bootable CD as directions
> say with nero6. This is to allocate clusters properly. before running
> convert .....the only thing is it doesnt work
>
> How do I create the bootable CD with bootitng.
> I create and copy file bootitng.iso to cd and create bootable CD so it
> copies stuff from bootfloppy as well.
>
> After creating the CD and reboot machine and get to a A> with no floppy in
> the drive, just the CD.............huh?
>
> how do I create the boot disk so bootitng will load on rebooting.........
> the instructions that came with didnt explain this well

May 5, 2005 3:08:41 AM

No

Thats not what you need only, there are problems with just doing this.
I had many responses here about thats not all you do. You get extra problems
by not using bootitng.exe to change clusters

I know about the convert command, that not what I am asking though

"José Gallardo" <jogalb@QUITALOono.com> wrote in message
To do what you want you only need this:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;es;307881

"gp" <grum@invalid> escribió en el mensaje
>i want to convert my fat32 winxp to ntfs.
>
> I need to do 2 things
> 1)boot up with bootitng and create clusters
> 2) run convert to get ntfs on
>
> I cant do step 1)
>
> I downloaded the bootitng.zip file and create a bootable CD as directions
> say with nero6. This is to allocate clusters properly. before running
> convert .....the only thing is it doesnt work
>
> How do I create the bootable CD with bootitng.
> I create and copy file bootitng.iso to cd and create bootable CD so it
> copies stuff from bootfloppy as well.
>
> After creating the CD and reboot machine and get to a A> with no floppy
> in
> the drive, just the CD.............huh?
>
> how do I create the boot disk so bootitng will load on rebooting.........
> the instructions that came with didnt explain this well

May 5, 2005 3:08:42 AM

"gp" <grum@invalid> wrote in message
> No
>
> Thats not what you need only, there are problems with just doing this.
> I had many responses here about thats not all you do. You get extra
> problems by not using bootitng.exe to change clusters
>
> I know about the convert command, that not what I am asking though
>
> "José Gallardo" <jogalb@QUITALOono.com> wrote in message
> To do what you want you only need this:
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;es;307881
>
> "gp" <grum@invalid> escribió en el mensaje
>>i want to convert my fat32 winxp to ntfs.
>>
>> I need to do 2 things
>> 1)boot up with bootitng and create clusters
>> 2) run convert to get ntfs on
>>
>> I cant do step 1)
>>
>> I downloaded the bootitng.zip file and create a bootable CD as directions
>> say with nero6. This is to allocate clusters properly. before running
>> convert .....the only thing is it doesnt work
>>
>> How do I create the bootable CD with bootitng.
>> I create and copy file bootitng.iso to cd and create bootable CD so it
>> copies stuff from bootfloppy as well.
>>
>> After creating the CD and reboot machine and get to a A> with no floppy
>> in
>> the drive, just the CD.............huh?
>>
>> how do I create the boot disk so bootitng will load on rebooting.........
>> the instructions that came with didnt explain this well

Perhaps you should explain why you need bootitng. If we knew what you are
trying to accomplish someone may be able to help. What are the extra
problems you mention? I have converted many partitions to ntfs without it
and not experienced any problems.

Kerry
May 5, 2005 1:44:19 PM

"Kerry Brown" <kerry@kdbNOSPAMsystems.c*o*m> wrote in message
> "gp" <grum@invalid> wrote in message
>> No
>>
>> Thats not what you need only, there are problems with just doing this.
>> I had many responses here about thats not all you do. You get extra
>> problems by not using bootitng.exe to change clusters
>>
>> I know about the convert command, that not what I am asking though
>>
>> "José Gallardo" <jogalb@QUITALOono.com> wrote in message
>> To do what you want you only need this:
>> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;es;307881
>>
>> "gp" <grum@invalid> escribió en el mensaje
>>>i want to convert my fat32 winxp to ntfs.
>>>
>>> I need to do 2 things
>>> 1)boot up with bootitng and create clusters
>>> 2) run convert to get ntfs on
>>>
>>> I cant do step 1)
>>>
>>> I downloaded the bootitng.zip file and create a bootable CD as
>>> directions
>>> say with nero6. This is to allocate clusters properly. before running
>>> convert .....the only thing is it doesnt work
>>>
>>> How do I create the bootable CD with bootitng.
>>> I create and copy file bootitng.iso to cd and create bootable CD so it
>>> copies stuff from bootfloppy as well.
>>>
>>> After creating the CD and reboot machine and get to a A> with no floppy
>>> in
>>> the drive, just the CD.............huh?
>>>
>>> how do I create the boot disk so bootitng will load on
>>> rebooting.........
>>> the instructions that came with didnt explain this well
>>>

> Perhaps you should explain why you need bootitng. If we knew what you are
> trying to accomplish someone may be able to help. What are the extra
> problems you mention? I have converted many partitions to ntfs without it
> and not experienced any problems.
>
> Kerry

I am being 2 different things here a lt me explain again why (this is what I
was told earlier to covert to ntfs).

There are two different things here. The first is aligning the partition
prior to converting. The first is done (as was described in the link I
initially sent you) by booting from a floppy created by the BootIT NG
program. The purpose of doing this is so that when you run the convert
program, the resulting cluster size will be 4k (which is optimal for
performance). If you do not do this first step (and you don't have to, it's
not essential), you will wind up with a cluster size of 512bytes. This is
not the optimal cluster size, and performance may suffer. Once done, you
will not be able to change this, so you need to consider whether or not you
want to do this carefully.

(this step didnt work that easy as my original message states)

The second thing is the actual conversion process. This is done from the
command prompt (click start/run and type cmd, then click ok). There is no
fancy graphical user interface, nor is there any need for one. You do NOT
need a bootable floppy or floppy drive for this part of the process. You
simply type in "convert C: /fs:ntfs" (without the quotes) and hit <enter>.
Then follow the prompts to schedule it to be done on a system restart, as
you cannot dismount the drive while Windows is running. Then reboot the
system - it's as simple as that. The process will occur automatically, and
the delay in boot it causes will depend on several factors, but be prepared
for a long wait.

It is not that simple to just run convert by the sounds of it. The
instructions to convert are hazy when you include the 1st step .
I might simply reinstall everything...this sounds a lot simpler because all
these 'boot up cd's' for step 1 is just too messy
Anonymous
May 5, 2005 1:44:20 PM

> "Kerry Brown" <kerry@kdbNOSPAMsystems.c*o*m> wrote in message
>> "gp" <grum@invalid> wrote in message
>>> No
>>>
>>> Thats not what you need only, there are problems with just doing this.
>>> I had many responses here about thats not all you do. You get extra
>>> problems by not using bootitng.exe to change clusters
>>>
>>> I know about the convert command, that not what I am asking though
>>>
>>> "José Gallardo" <jogalb@QUITALOono.com> wrote in message
>>> To do what you want you only need this:
>>> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;es;307881
>>>
>>> "gp" <grum@invalid> escribió en el mensaje

>> Perhaps you should explain why you need bootitng. If we knew what you are
>> trying to accomplish someone may be able to help. What are the extra
>> problems you mention? I have converted many partitions to ntfs without it
>> and not experienced any problems.
>>
>> Kerry
>>
> I am being 2 different things here a lt me explain again why (this is what
> I was told earlier to covert to ntfs).
>
> There are two different things here. The first is aligning the partition
> prior to converting. The first is done (as was described in the link I
> initially sent you) by booting from a floppy created by the BootIT NG
> program. The purpose of doing this is so that when you run the convert
> program, the resulting cluster size will be 4k (which is optimal for
> performance). If you do not do this first step (and you don't have to,
> it's
> not essential), you will wind up with a cluster size of 512bytes. This is
> not the optimal cluster size, and performance may suffer. Once done, you
> will not be able to change this, so you need to consider whether or not
> you
> want to do this carefully.
>
> (this step didnt work that easy as my original message states)
>
> The second thing is the actual conversion process. This is done from the
> command prompt (click start/run and type cmd, then click ok). There is no
> fancy graphical user interface, nor is there any need for one. You do NOT
> need a bootable floppy or floppy drive for this part of the process. You
> simply type in "convert C: /fs:ntfs" (without the quotes) and hit <enter>.
> Then follow the prompts to schedule it to be done on a system restart, as
> you cannot dismount the drive while Windows is running. Then reboot the
> system - it's as simple as that. The process will occur automatically, and
> the delay in boot it causes will depend on several factors, but be
> prepared
> for a long wait.
>
> It is not that simple to just run convert by the sounds of it. The
> instructions to convert are hazy when you include the 1st step .
> I might simply reinstall everything...this sounds a lot simpler because
> all these 'boot up cd's' for step 1 is just too messy

OK now it makes sense. Partition Magic can do this after the partition is
converted. It's not free but it is easy. See the following link for some
good info on reserving a contiguous area for the MFT

http://redmondmag.com/columns/article.asp?EditorialsID=...

Make sure you have a good backup before converting the partition. There is
always the possibility of data loss when doing things like this. Personally
I would just back up the partition, then recreate it and format it as NTFS
then restore the backup. This will create the MFT properly and set the
default cluster size. With all the steps needed to create a contiguous MFT
and then change the cluster size there is too much chance of something going
wrong. You need the backup anyway. It may be quicker just to reformat and
restore.

I've never tried bootitng so I can't give you any advice on it. I'm not very
familiar with Nero. I don't have it on this computer and haven't used it in
awhile. I'm sure it can make a bootable CD but maybe someone else will chime
in with instructions.

Kerry
May 5, 2005 7:48:34 PM

good advice, there is way too much fooling around here and with all these
settings I havent a clue what I am doing.
Try to follow all these instructions, I woild have had it complete by now if
I re-installed
I will just back up my data on CD and simply re-install using ntfs......it
souns so much simpler.

> [...]
> good info on reserving a contiguous area for the MFT
>
> http://redmondmag.com/columns/article.asp?EditorialsID=...
>
> Make sure you have a good backup before converting the partition. There is
> always the possibility of data loss when doing things like this.
> Personally I would just back up the partition, then recreate it and format
> it as NTFS then restore the backup. This will create the MFT properly and
> set the default cluster size. With all the steps needed to create a
> contiguous MFT and then change the cluster size there is too much chance
> of something going wrong. You need the backup anyway. It may be quicker
> just to reformat and restore.
>
> I've never tried bootitng so I can't give you any advice on it. I'm not
> very familiar with Nero. I don't have it on this computer and haven't used
> it in awhile. I'm sure it can make a bootable CD but maybe someone else

Anonymous
May 5, 2005 7:48:35 PM

> good advice, there is way too much fooling around here and with all these
> settings I havent a clue what I am doing.
> Try to follow all these instructions, I woild have had it complete by now
> if I re-installed
> I will just back up my data on CD and simply re-install using ntfs......it
> souns so much simpler.

Sounds like a plan, good luck. Make sure you verify your backup before
formatting the drive.

Kerry

!