Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

A note about this group.... myself... and my business.

Last response: in Video Games
Share
April 27, 2005 10:22:04 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade.collecting (More info?)

Get through this for a moment, as I am not the type of person who cares
for this sort of thing. I just have to get it off my chest.

I found this group in 1998. Some of you know me as Patrick...some as
Scott. I'd been collecting since 1994 and thought it was a great thing.
Tons of people helping each other out, people offering services, and
generally a helpful and friendly place to be.

What happened?

After 11 years of collecting, I saw an opportunity hit me. Local
collectors who had seen my collection offered to hire me to do work for
them. The first insisted on it. Long story short... I ran with the
opportunity.

I've always wanted to be my own boss and run my own business. For
years I've been keeping the day job and pursing another dream in the
spare time. Due to injury, that dream looks as if it's over. So I
started my own business doing something else that I love and that I'm
good at.

Fast foward to just this evening. I post about my business now taking
trade-ins for credit toward repairs. I also announced my first
customer testimonials.

Due to a glitch of some kind or something, it posted more than once.
The second I saw it, I zapped the extras, but one group member assumed
I was spamming it and jumped on me for it. Why the assumption? Now,
by replying, you keep multiple posts out there.

Another longtime member here that I thought highly of also jumps...
saying "nice try" as if he doesn't believe the testimonials on my site
simply because my site has only been up two weeks. So? The site has
only been up two weeks but I've been doing business in that time and in
weeks prior to it as well. Is is that hard to believe I could repair
someone's boards and send them back in less than two weeks time or
something? Why the mistrust? Why the flame?

This is a hobby to many here, and a business to many others here. To
some, such as myself now, it's both. I take it seriously. I'm eager
to help people get these old classics running. Many people whom I've
done business with or have been doing business with are pleased. Some
had given up hope on ever getting their games fixed before finding me.
One local business was going to send his to the dump because not a
single person in the phone book would touch the classics in his shed.

I guess what I'm trying to say is...why has this group gone to
automatically mistrusting and bashing people? Is there some reason to
mistrust me after 7 years here and 11 years in the hobby? I've never
not sent a payment or misrepresented anything to any of you.

So let's stop it before it starts and tell you this. I've always tried
to do others right on here and off of here as someone in a hobby. As a
business, I plan to do the same thing. I have no hate for any of you.
No reason to. No reason for me to get it either.

I know it was just two people that prompted this post, but I felt this
needed to be dealt with right here and now so that I can spend my time
working on people's games and boards. I don't feel there is any reason
for mistrust or flames unless you know I've done some wrong. And if I
ever do so, it won't be intentional and I will do everything I can to
make it right.

Perhaps some people around here should think about that.

This will be the only post I make on this subject. Any other uncalled
for flames will be ignored.

Thanks for your time,
Patrick Scott Patterson
Denton, TX
http://www.hyperspacearcade.com

More about : note group business

Anonymous
April 27, 2005 10:46:03 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade.collecting (More info?)

Good luck on your venture...I do have a question about "spamming". Can
someone please define what spam means on this board? If posting a
service or game for sale is spamming, then I am guilty of that. Is
this really the intention or is it just the unintentional duplicate
posting. BTW, earlier today this board double posted a reply of mine
and I am sure I only hit enter once. I deleted the second but it
happened.
Garry
Anonymous
April 28, 2005 12:30:33 AM

Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade.collecting (More info?)

Take it easy Patrick.. I've never heard of you nor dealt with you, then again I
took a few years away from RGVAC and only came back recently. Yeah you made a
tiny mistake triple-posting your advertisement. Yeah some people are a little
hypersensitive to stuff that looks like spam. It's hard to blame them.
However, you only got 2 negative comments that I saw - and one of them is from a
guy who's full of negative comments, so it shouldn't have been a surprise nor
should it have been disheartening.

Seriously, not in a mean way, take it easy and just do your thing. If you are
what you say you are, and do what you say you do, you'll be fine.

Best of luck with your biz!

Richard

On 27 Apr 2005 18:22:04 -0700, scott@hyperspacearcade.com wrote:

>Get through this for a moment, as I am not the type of person who cares
>for this sort of thing. I just have to get it off my chest.
Related resources
Anonymous
April 28, 2005 5:41:06 AM

Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade.collecting (More info?)

The name "Scott Patterson" does definitely ring a bell....


<scott@hyperspacearcade.com> wrote in message
news:1114651324.053197.270790@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com...
> Get through this for a moment, as I am not the type of person who cares
> for this sort of thing. I just have to get it off my chest.
>
> I found this group in 1998. Some of you know me as Patrick...some as
> Scott. I'd been collecting since 1994 and thought it was a great thing.
> Tons of people helping each other out, people offering services, and
> generally a helpful and friendly place to be.
>
> What happened?
>
> After 11 years of collecting, I saw an opportunity hit me. Local
> collectors who had seen my collection offered to hire me to do work for
> them. The first insisted on it. Long story short... I ran with the
> opportunity.
>
> I've always wanted to be my own boss and run my own business. For
> years I've been keeping the day job and pursing another dream in the
> spare time. Due to injury, that dream looks as if it's over. So I
> started my own business doing something else that I love and that I'm
> good at.
>
> Fast foward to just this evening. I post about my business now taking
> trade-ins for credit toward repairs. I also announced my first
> customer testimonials.
>
> Due to a glitch of some kind or something, it posted more than once.
> The second I saw it, I zapped the extras, but one group member assumed
> I was spamming it and jumped on me for it. Why the assumption? Now,
> by replying, you keep multiple posts out there.
>
> Another longtime member here that I thought highly of also jumps...
> saying "nice try" as if he doesn't believe the testimonials on my site
> simply because my site has only been up two weeks. So? The site has
> only been up two weeks but I've been doing business in that time and in
> weeks prior to it as well. Is is that hard to believe I could repair
> someone's boards and send them back in less than two weeks time or
> something? Why the mistrust? Why the flame?
>
> This is a hobby to many here, and a business to many others here. To
> some, such as myself now, it's both. I take it seriously. I'm eager
> to help people get these old classics running. Many people whom I've
> done business with or have been doing business with are pleased. Some
> had given up hope on ever getting their games fixed before finding me.
> One local business was going to send his to the dump because not a
> single person in the phone book would touch the classics in his shed.
>
> I guess what I'm trying to say is...why has this group gone to
> automatically mistrusting and bashing people? Is there some reason to
> mistrust me after 7 years here and 11 years in the hobby? I've never
> not sent a payment or misrepresented anything to any of you.
>
> So let's stop it before it starts and tell you this. I've always tried
> to do others right on here and off of here as someone in a hobby. As a
> business, I plan to do the same thing. I have no hate for any of you.
> No reason to. No reason for me to get it either.
>
> I know it was just two people that prompted this post, but I felt this
> needed to be dealt with right here and now so that I can spend my time
> working on people's games and boards. I don't feel there is any reason
> for mistrust or flames unless you know I've done some wrong. And if I
> ever do so, it won't be intentional and I will do everything I can to
> make it right.
>
> Perhaps some people around here should think about that.
>
> This will be the only post I make on this subject. Any other uncalled
> for flames will be ignored.
>
> Thanks for your time,
> Patrick Scott Patterson
> Denton, TX
> http://www.hyperspacearcade.com
>
April 28, 2005 5:58:05 AM

Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade.collecting (More info?)

To me spamming is to post something is not arcade related, business wise.
an OT is fine, IMO.
So don't sweat it. So what if you accidentally post more than once.
I see guys do it all the time when posting.


Troy,



<scott@hyperspacearcade.com> wrote in message
news:1114651324.053197.270790@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com...
> Get through this for a moment, as I am not the type of person who cares
> for this sort of thing. I just have to get it off my chest.
>
> I found this group in 1998. Some of you know me as Patrick...some as
> Scott. I'd been collecting since 1994 and thought it was a great thing.
> Tons of people helping each other out, people offering services, and
> generally a helpful and friendly place to be.
>
> What happened?
>
> After 11 years of collecting, I saw an opportunity hit me. Local
> collectors who had seen my collection offered to hire me to do work for
> them. The first insisted on it. Long story short... I ran with the
> opportunity.
>
> I've always wanted to be my own boss and run my own business. For
> years I've been keeping the day job and pursing another dream in the
> spare time. Due to injury, that dream looks as if it's over. So I
> started my own business doing something else that I love and that I'm
> good at.
>
> Fast foward to just this evening. I post about my business now taking
> trade-ins for credit toward repairs. I also announced my first
> customer testimonials.
>
> Due to a glitch of some kind or something, it posted more than once.
> The second I saw it, I zapped the extras, but one group member assumed
> I was spamming it and jumped on me for it. Why the assumption? Now,
> by replying, you keep multiple posts out there.
>
> Another longtime member here that I thought highly of also jumps...
> saying "nice try" as if he doesn't believe the testimonials on my site
> simply because my site has only been up two weeks. So? The site has
> only been up two weeks but I've been doing business in that time and in
> weeks prior to it as well. Is is that hard to believe I could repair
> someone's boards and send them back in less than two weeks time or
> something? Why the mistrust? Why the flame?
>
> This is a hobby to many here, and a business to many others here. To
> some, such as myself now, it's both. I take it seriously. I'm eager
> to help people get these old classics running. Many people whom I've
> done business with or have been doing business with are pleased. Some
> had given up hope on ever getting their games fixed before finding me.
> One local business was going to send his to the dump because not a
> single person in the phone book would touch the classics in his shed.
>
> I guess what I'm trying to say is...why has this group gone to
> automatically mistrusting and bashing people? Is there some reason to
> mistrust me after 7 years here and 11 years in the hobby? I've never
> not sent a payment or misrepresented anything to any of you.
>
> So let's stop it before it starts and tell you this. I've always tried
> to do others right on here and off of here as someone in a hobby. As a
> business, I plan to do the same thing. I have no hate for any of you.
> No reason to. No reason for me to get it either.
>
> I know it was just two people that prompted this post, but I felt this
> needed to be dealt with right here and now so that I can spend my time
> working on people's games and boards. I don't feel there is any reason
> for mistrust or flames unless you know I've done some wrong. And if I
> ever do so, it won't be intentional and I will do everything I can to
> make it right.
>
> Perhaps some people around here should think about that.
>
> This will be the only post I make on this subject. Any other uncalled
> for flames will be ignored.
>
> Thanks for your time,
> Patrick Scott Patterson
> Denton, TX
> http://www.hyperspacearcade.com
>
Anonymous
April 28, 2005 7:40:56 AM

Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade.collecting (More info?)

Not your fault, Scott... it's just a sign of the times. I've been on
this group for many years and have seen rudeness, flaming and picking at
any mistakes or inconsistency become an everyday occurrence.
Participating in newsgroup discussions is "trial and error"... one error
and you are on trial. It's really become quite annoying, but hey, what
can be done? It's just not possible to regulate manners. You might as
well be tilting windmills.

My advice is to stay professional and positive in your posts/replies...
but it seems you are someone who knows this already. Even though you are
taking some people to task in your last post, you come across as a
sincere, honest and courteous, which does you credit. Remember that a
reputation (good or bad) is built over time. Keep to the high road and
you will do well. :-)

Cheers!
-Commander Dave

<scott@hyperspacearcade.com> wrote:
> Get through this for a moment, as I am not the type of person who
> cares
> for this sort of thing. I just have to get it off my chest.
> <<SNIP>>
> I know it was just two people that prompted this post, but I felt this
> needed to be dealt with right here and now so that I can spend my time
> working on people's games and boards. I don't feel there is any
> reason
> for mistrust or flames unless you know I've done some wrong. And if I
> ever do so, it won't be intentional and I will do everything I can to
> make it right.
>
> Perhaps some people around here should think about that.
>
> This will be the only post I make on this subject. Any other uncalled
> for flames will be ignored.
>
> Thanks for your time,
> Patrick Scott Patterson
> Denton, TX
> http://www.hyperspacearcade.com
>
Anonymous
April 28, 2005 12:57:45 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade.collecting (More info?)

Pat,

I double-post on occasion because GOOGLE GROUPS KEEPS SCREWING UP!!!!
OOHHH-OOOHHHHHHHH (/Sam Kinison) Just like this post. Oh well. Long of
the short, don't worry about the handful of morons on here that make it
miserable for the rest. Keep making an honest effort and things will be
just fine.

Also, I like your webpage and business model. One suggestion if I may,
it's perfectly ok to farm out your board repairs!!!! The list of boards
you repair is kinda short for a retail business, and customers that
should be yours might get turned away. Add to the list all of the
capabilities of the repair houses you can sub-contract to, price the
repairs accordingly, and let your competition work for you! Then, as
you add more boards to your list you can repair them in-house and keep
the profit. Just a thought!

Good luck with it! We always need more honest sellers/repairers in the
NG.

- Craig
Anonymous
April 28, 2005 3:33:34 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade.collecting (More info?)

The multi-post response was just BS... It happens at least about once a week
where someone posts the same thing two or three times by accident.

And to take you to task about the age of your web-site... really... the age
of the web site has NOTHING to do with the age of your business. For all he
knows you decided to change the name 2 weeks ago.

don't fret it.

<scott@hyperspacearcade.com> wrote in message
news:1114651324.053197.270790@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com...
> Get through this for a moment, as I am not the type of person who cares
> for this sort of thing. I just have to get it off my chest.
>
> I found this group in 1998. Some of you know me as Patrick...some as
> Scott. I'd been collecting since 1994 and thought it was a great thing.
> Tons of people helping each other out, people offering services, and
> generally a helpful and friendly place to be.
>
> What happened?
>
> After 11 years of collecting, I saw an opportunity hit me. Local
> collectors who had seen my collection offered to hire me to do work for
> them. The first insisted on it. Long story short... I ran with the
> opportunity.
>
> I've always wanted to be my own boss and run my own business. For
> years I've been keeping the day job and pursing another dream in the
> spare time. Due to injury, that dream looks as if it's over. So I
> started my own business doing something else that I love and that I'm
> good at.
>
> Fast foward to just this evening. I post about my business now taking
> trade-ins for credit toward repairs. I also announced my first
> customer testimonials.
>
> Due to a glitch of some kind or something, it posted more than once.
> The second I saw it, I zapped the extras, but one group member assumed
> I was spamming it and jumped on me for it. Why the assumption? Now,
> by replying, you keep multiple posts out there.
>
> Another longtime member here that I thought highly of also jumps...
> saying "nice try" as if he doesn't believe the testimonials on my site
> simply because my site has only been up two weeks. So? The site has
> only been up two weeks but I've been doing business in that time and in
> weeks prior to it as well. Is is that hard to believe I could repair
> someone's boards and send them back in less than two weeks time or
> something? Why the mistrust? Why the flame?
>
> This is a hobby to many here, and a business to many others here. To
> some, such as myself now, it's both. I take it seriously. I'm eager
> to help people get these old classics running. Many people whom I've
> done business with or have been doing business with are pleased. Some
> had given up hope on ever getting their games fixed before finding me.
> One local business was going to send his to the dump because not a
> single person in the phone book would touch the classics in his shed.
>
> I guess what I'm trying to say is...why has this group gone to
> automatically mistrusting and bashing people? Is there some reason to
> mistrust me after 7 years here and 11 years in the hobby? I've never
> not sent a payment or misrepresented anything to any of you.
>
> So let's stop it before it starts and tell you this. I've always tried
> to do others right on here and off of here as someone in a hobby. As a
> business, I plan to do the same thing. I have no hate for any of you.
> No reason to. No reason for me to get it either.
>
> I know it was just two people that prompted this post, but I felt this
> needed to be dealt with right here and now so that I can spend my time
> working on people's games and boards. I don't feel there is any reason
> for mistrust or flames unless you know I've done some wrong. And if I
> ever do so, it won't be intentional and I will do everything I can to
> make it right.
>
> Perhaps some people around here should think about that.
>
> This will be the only post I make on this subject. Any other uncalled
> for flames will be ignored.
>
> Thanks for your time,
> Patrick Scott Patterson
> Denton, TX
> http://www.hyperspacearcade.com
>
Anonymous
April 28, 2005 4:32:10 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade.collecting (More info?)

I know where you are coming from. I suggest just ignoring the one or
two jackasses in the group. I started collecting in 1988 and I have
been reading this group religously since 1993. Over that time the
jackasses come and go (some stay longer than others), but there are
always one or two waiting to put someone down. Over the years I have
rarely posted becuase of this, and when I do I generally use a fake
email. Anyone remember a jackass called Aceman who was going to put a
virus on a bunch of our computers.

-Irwin

scott@hyperspacearcade.com wrote:
> Get through this for a moment, as I am not the type of person who cares
> for this sort of thing. I just have to get it off my chest.
>
> I found this group in 1998. Some of you know me as Patrick...some as
> Scott. I'd been collecting since 1994 and thought it was a great thing.
> Tons of people helping each other out, people offering services, and
> generally a helpful and friendly place to be.
>
> What happened?
>
> After 11 years of collecting, I saw an opportunity hit me. Local
> collectors who had seen my collection offered to hire me to do work for
> them. The first insisted on it. Long story short... I ran with the
> opportunity.
>
> I've always wanted to be my own boss and run my own business. For
> years I've been keeping the day job and pursing another dream in the
> spare time. Due to injury, that dream looks as if it's over. So I
> started my own business doing something else that I love and that I'm
> good at.
>
> Fast foward to just this evening. I post about my business now taking
> trade-ins for credit toward repairs. I also announced my first
> customer testimonials.
>
> Due to a glitch of some kind or something, it posted more than once.
> The second I saw it, I zapped the extras, but one group member assumed
> I was spamming it and jumped on me for it. Why the assumption? Now,
> by replying, you keep multiple posts out there.
>
> Another longtime member here that I thought highly of also jumps...
> saying "nice try" as if he doesn't believe the testimonials on my site
> simply because my site has only been up two weeks. So? The site has
> only been up two weeks but I've been doing business in that time and in
> weeks prior to it as well. Is is that hard to believe I could repair
> someone's boards and send them back in less than two weeks time or
> something? Why the mistrust? Why the flame?
>
> This is a hobby to many here, and a business to many others here. To
> some, such as myself now, it's both. I take it seriously. I'm eager
> to help people get these old classics running. Many people whom I've
> done business with or have been doing business with are pleased. Some
> had given up hope on ever getting their games fixed before finding me.
> One local business was going to send his to the dump because not a
> single person in the phone book would touch the classics in his shed.
>
> I guess what I'm trying to say is...why has this group gone to
> automatically mistrusting and bashing people? Is there some reason to
> mistrust me after 7 years here and 11 years in the hobby? I've never
> not sent a payment or misrepresented anything to any of you.
>
> So let's stop it before it starts and tell you this. I've always tried
> to do others right on here and off of here as someone in a hobby. As a
> business, I plan to do the same thing. I have no hate for any of you.
> No reason to. No reason for me to get it either.
>
> I know it was just two people that prompted this post, but I felt this
> needed to be dealt with right here and now so that I can spend my time
> working on people's games and boards. I don't feel there is any reason
> for mistrust or flames unless you know I've done some wrong. And if I
> ever do so, it won't be intentional and I will do everything I can to
> make it right.
>
> Perhaps some people around here should think about that.
>
> This will be the only post I make on this subject. Any other uncalled
> for flames will be ignored.
>
> Thanks for your time,
> Patrick Scott Patterson
> Denton, TX
> http://www.hyperspacearcade.com
>
Anonymous
April 28, 2005 4:49:21 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade.collecting (More info?)

personally i'd like to see some actual cases wih repair costs.

example
this board came in with this problem (screenshot) repaired, x, y,z .. cost:
$100

i think the more examples you have and make it part of your routine to do
this with each board you service (within reason). you'll find more people
looking at your site as 1. being straightforward with what you do for your
customers. 2. having examples of your product/service/work which is very
important in web based business 3. an idea of what they'll spend for a
repair which might be similar.

i think we all know board problems are not all the same so simply stating
that as a fact isn't enough for the average consumer. show me what you can
do!

i think this little extra effort will go a long way IMO.

keith.




"Craig Yarbrough" <hyarbr01@harris.com> wrote in message
news:1114703865.842532.325270@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com...
> Pat,
>
> I double-post on occasion because GOOGLE GROUPS KEEPS SCREWING UP!!!!
> OOHHH-OOOHHHHHHHH (/Sam Kinison) Just like this post. Oh well. Long of
> the short, don't worry about the handful of morons on here that make it
> miserable for the rest. Keep making an honest effort and things will be
> just fine.
>
> Also, I like your webpage and business model. One suggestion if I may,
> it's perfectly ok to farm out your board repairs!!!! The list of boards
> you repair is kinda short for a retail business, and customers that
> should be yours might get turned away. Add to the list all of the
> capabilities of the repair houses you can sub-contract to, price the
> repairs accordingly, and let your competition work for you! Then, as
> you add more boards to your list you can repair them in-house and keep
> the profit. Just a thought!
>
> Good luck with it! We always need more honest sellers/repairers in the
> NG.
>
> - Craig
>
April 28, 2005 5:02:52 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade.collecting (More info?)

Point made about the "About Us" section and I'll actually use that
suggestion.

Have been unaware of anyone scamming people here as of late. But you
did not "warn others" to check my credentials....you flat out
discounted them without so much as one question toward me. One of the
testimonials on my site is actually from another long posting member of
this board!

If you looked up the website registry date, you could have also looked
up who it was registered to. I also announced who I was when I opened
up the site just a few weeks ago right here.

It's sad that you see a business post and assume it's a scam, and then
even attempt to damage the reputation without so much as one question
toward the person who posted it. I can understand people taking a wait
and see approach, but if you want to check credentials, my e-mail and
phone number are public. Ask questions and you can get answers.

Most of my business so far has been local on-site, and I already have
repeat customers from that wanting me to fix other games.

In the future, if someone pops up that you are unsure of, maybe you
should look just a tiny bit deeper before publically discounting them.
Why risk damaging the rep of someone who is trying to be an asset to
the hobby without cause to do so?

Thanks for everyone else's kind words and suggestions as well. I
actually will be posting pics of various work soon enough, as well as
expanding what we work on by mail.

I will also be at the upcoming Dallas area SuperAuction on the 14th.
Hope to talk to a lot of people there.
Anonymous
April 28, 2005 8:53:33 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade.collecting (More info?)

scott@hyperspacearcade.com wrote:
: Another longtime member here that I thought highly of also jumps...
: saying "nice try" as if he doesn't believe the testimonials on my site
: simply because my site has only been up two weeks. So? The site has
: only been up two weeks but I've been doing business in that time and in
: weeks prior to it as well. Is is that hard to believe I could repair
: someone's boards and send them back in less than two weeks time or
: something? Why the mistrust? Why the flame?

Perhaps if you posted from a recognizable address you wouldn't look like
a newbie trying to scam business.

Have I seen P&M Patterson posts over the years? Yes. Am I going to equate
that ID with s@hsa.com? No. On the other hand, have I seen you contribute
significant technical expertise to the newsgroup in the past? Not really.

Perhaps if you had an "About Us" or "History" on your site, you'd be a
little more recognizable, and encounter less doubt.

There have been a good number of fly-by-night sites popping up and
advertising here, claiming to be established businesses and long time
NG users offering board repair, sales, etc recently. Am I going to
send a $150 joust boardset to someone I've never heard of to fix, not
knowing if I'll ever see it again? No. Is it useful to warn others
to check the credentials of the people they deal with? Yes.

Sorry if you were offended, but 2 weeks with a website does not an
established business make. You may have been fixing games for people for
years, but "Hyperspacearcade.com" hasn't.

--
Mark Spaeth mspaeth@mtl.mit.edu
50 Vassar St., #38.265 mspaeth@mit.edu
Cambridge, MA 02139
(617) 452-2354 http://rgvac.978.org/~mspaeth
Anonymous
April 28, 2005 9:34:35 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade.collecting (More info?)

keith corcoran <winner@soulshot.com> wrote:
: personally i'd like to see some actual cases wih repair costs.
:
: example
: this board came in with this problem (screenshot) repaired, x, y,z .. cost:
: $100

That'd be misleading.

2 garbage screen pacmans could be completely different types of problems.
1 could be a bad rom with a minimal repair charge, one could be an esoteric
bus buffering problem that takes several hours to track down.

--
Mark Spaeth mspaeth@mtl.mit.edu
50 Vassar St., #38.265 mspaeth@mit.edu
Cambridge, MA 02139
(617) 452-2354 http://rgvac.978.org/~mspaeth
Anonymous
April 28, 2005 10:29:08 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade.collecting (More info?)

Keep pushing ahead, this hobby NEEDS honest folks like yourself, and never
forget that there are more horses' asses than there are horses.

Todd


<scott@hyperspacearcade.com> wrote in message
news:1114651324.053197.270790@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com...
> Get through this for a moment, as I am not the type of person who cares
> for this sort of thing. I just have to get it off my chest.
>
> I found this group in 1998. Some of you know me as Patrick...some as
> Scott. I'd been collecting since 1994 and thought it was a great thing.
> Tons of people helping each other out, people offering services, and
> generally a helpful and friendly place to be.
>
> What happened?
>
> After 11 years of collecting, I saw an opportunity hit me. Local
> collectors who had seen my collection offered to hire me to do work for
> them. The first insisted on it. Long story short... I ran with the
> opportunity.
>
> I've always wanted to be my own boss and run my own business. For
> years I've been keeping the day job and pursing another dream in the
> spare time. Due to injury, that dream looks as if it's over. So I
> started my own business doing something else that I love and that I'm
> good at.
>
> Fast foward to just this evening. I post about my business now taking
> trade-ins for credit toward repairs. I also announced my first
> customer testimonials.
>
> Due to a glitch of some kind or something, it posted more than once.
> The second I saw it, I zapped the extras, but one group member assumed
> I was spamming it and jumped on me for it. Why the assumption? Now,
> by replying, you keep multiple posts out there.
>
> Another longtime member here that I thought highly of also jumps...
> saying "nice try" as if he doesn't believe the testimonials on my site
> simply because my site has only been up two weeks. So? The site has
> only been up two weeks but I've been doing business in that time and in
> weeks prior to it as well. Is is that hard to believe I could repair
> someone's boards and send them back in less than two weeks time or
> something? Why the mistrust? Why the flame?
>
> This is a hobby to many here, and a business to many others here. To
> some, such as myself now, it's both. I take it seriously. I'm eager
> to help people get these old classics running. Many people whom I've
> done business with or have been doing business with are pleased. Some
> had given up hope on ever getting their games fixed before finding me.
> One local business was going to send his to the dump because not a
> single person in the phone book would touch the classics in his shed.
>
> I guess what I'm trying to say is...why has this group gone to
> automatically mistrusting and bashing people? Is there some reason to
> mistrust me after 7 years here and 11 years in the hobby? I've never
> not sent a payment or misrepresented anything to any of you.
>
> So let's stop it before it starts and tell you this. I've always tried
> to do others right on here and off of here as someone in a hobby. As a
> business, I plan to do the same thing. I have no hate for any of you.
> No reason to. No reason for me to get it either.
>
> I know it was just two people that prompted this post, but I felt this
> needed to be dealt with right here and now so that I can spend my time
> working on people's games and boards. I don't feel there is any reason
> for mistrust or flames unless you know I've done some wrong. And if I
> ever do so, it won't be intentional and I will do everything I can to
> make it right.
>
> Perhaps some people around here should think about that.
>
> This will be the only post I make on this subject. Any other uncalled
> for flames will be ignored.
>
> Thanks for your time,
> Patrick Scott Patterson
> Denton, TX
> http://www.hyperspacearcade.com
>
Anonymous
April 28, 2005 11:21:44 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade.collecting (More info?)

Well Patrick as much as you have helped me over the years you know I
will take up for you though its hard not to just ignore them when its
the same people flaming away at everyone like they are the arcade
gods....just keep in mind that 90% of the people on here are not like
that most dont post very often and we are all better off now that you
are taking more time to work on games.
I personally want to thank you for all the knowlege you have willingly
shared with me over the years and got me out of a jam several times.
Your own collection speaks volumes and is one reason I respect you so
much because I saw the before and afters.
You just keep doing what your doing cause your work speaks for itself.
I just wish you would stop moving further away....head east next time.
Tim Peterson
Tyler Tx
www.timsarcade.net
Anonymous
April 29, 2005 12:24:46 AM

Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade.collecting (More info?)

I saw no replies to your 3 posts other than your own. So either my ISP
dropped some messages or your killfile is not adjusted properly.

Dave



---
Outgoing mail is certified Virus Free.
Checked by AVG anti-virus system (http://www.grisoft.com).
Version: 6.0.859 / Virus Database: 585 - Release Date: 2/14/2005
April 29, 2005 1:02:14 AM

Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade.collecting (More info?)

Thank you Tim. I'll be seeing you at the auction in a couple of weeks.
Anonymous
April 29, 2005 1:52:17 AM

Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade.collecting (More info?)

> Get through this for a moment, as I am not the type of person who cares
> for this sort of thing. I just have to get it off my chest.

We're looking forward to some friendly competition with you.
With that in mind, I have two unsolicited pieces of advice:

I think you'll find that the mail-order PCB repair business is
quite different than what you've done so far, once you get
deeper into it. You'll need to make some tough decisions
about what your policies will be when situations come up
that aren't "normal".

The only other advice I'll offer is this: you'll find (in this
business as well as any other) that a thick skin is necessary.
As good as it may feel to vent sometimes, it'll probably do
more harm than good in the long-term.

Now, with that in mind, everybody go to our website and
compare prices and customer feedback :-)

Alex
----
ayeckley@elektronforge.com
www.elektronforge.com
Anonymous
April 29, 2005 3:42:44 AM

Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade.collecting (More info?)

Scott - far better to stick to local and operator repairs - the money
especially from consumer in home service, is huge compared to what you can
get here. I get $69 to go on site to diagnose a problem - diagnose in the
sense that I pin it down to the power supply, game board, monitor or
harness.
I get $189 for rebuilt replacement monitor chassis installed (plus the
initial $69), a flat $179 to swap a switcher or regulator type supple
(includes the trip charge) and anywhere from $150 (Mortal Kombat) to $400
(Ms Pac) installed for PCBs.
I price these repairs the same way I price TV repairs, charge top top
dollar, get them done in a hurry, and give a 30 day 50% warranty (if the
same problem ocurrs within 30 days the replacement is done at 50% of the
original charge, with no trip charge being added).
I can already hear the flamers going off on me, but all I have to sell the
consumer is time and expertise, and they can damn well pay for it or go
eleswhere - and yes, about 20% of people calling me on the phone for game
repairs just gasp or grunt and say bye ;) 

--
Art
<scott@hyperspacearcade.com> wrote in message
news:1114718572.892565.7130@l41g2000cwc.googlegroups.com...
> Point made about the "About Us" section and I'll actually use that
> suggestion.
>
> Have been unaware of anyone scamming people here as of late. But you
> did not "warn others" to check my credentials....you flat out
> discounted them without so much as one question toward me. One of the
> testimonials on my site is actually from another long posting member of
> this board!
>
> If you looked up the website registry date, you could have also looked
> up who it was registered to. I also announced who I was when I opened
> up the site just a few weeks ago right here.
>
> It's sad that you see a business post and assume it's a scam, and then
> even attempt to damage the reputation without so much as one question
> toward the person who posted it. I can understand people taking a wait
> and see approach, but if you want to check credentials, my e-mail and
> phone number are public. Ask questions and you can get answers.
>
> Most of my business so far has been local on-site, and I already have
> repeat customers from that wanting me to fix other games.
>
> In the future, if someone pops up that you are unsure of, maybe you
> should look just a tiny bit deeper before publically discounting them.
> Why risk damaging the rep of someone who is trying to be an asset to
> the hobby without cause to do so?
>
> Thanks for everyone else's kind words and suggestions as well. I
> actually will be posting pics of various work soon enough, as well as
> expanding what we work on by mail.
>
> I will also be at the upcoming Dallas area SuperAuction on the 14th.
> Hope to talk to a lot of people there.
>
Anonymous
April 29, 2005 3:47:11 AM

Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade.collecting (More info?)

"toddahhhh" <toddahhhh at comcast dot net> wrote in message
news:VLudnUEaYohd7OzfRVn-2g@comcast.com...
> Keep pushing ahead, this hobby NEEDS honest folks like yourself, and never
> forget that there are more horses' asses than there are horses.
>
> Todd

Free non working arcade game PCB to the first person that can provide a
documented, verified picture of a horse with more than one ass - and no, a
picture of a horse with Gilbert Gottfried on it doesnt count, nor does a
horse in a stall with a few donkeys

Art
Anonymous
April 29, 2005 3:47:12 AM

Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade.collecting (More info?)

I win!!!

http://img55.exs.cx/img55/8343/n-bush-horse.jpg

A horse with 2 asses!!!


"Art Mallet - Artfromny - formerly A218@aol.com" <artgames@nycap.rr.com>
wrote in message news:3Cece.9216$Bc7.3726@twister.nyroc.rr.com...
>
>
> "toddahhhh" <toddahhhh at comcast dot net> wrote in message
> news:VLudnUEaYohd7OzfRVn-2g@comcast.com...
>> Keep pushing ahead, this hobby NEEDS honest folks like yourself, and
>> never forget that there are more horses' asses than there are horses.
>>
>> Todd
>
> Free non working arcade game PCB to the first person that can provide a
> documented, verified picture of a horse with more than one ass - and no, a
> picture of a horse with Gilbert Gottfried on it doesnt count, nor does a
> horse in a stall with a few donkeys
>
> Art
>
Anonymous
April 29, 2005 3:47:12 AM

Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade.collecting (More info?)

This doesn't exactly count, but it sure is disturbing:

http://www.therant.info/images/Album13a.jpg


"Art Mallet - Artfromny - formerly A218@aol.com" <artgames@nycap.rr.com>
wrote in message news:3Cece.9216$Bc7.3726@twister.nyroc.rr.com...
>
>
> "toddahhhh" <toddahhhh at comcast dot net> wrote in message
> news:VLudnUEaYohd7OzfRVn-2g@comcast.com...
>> Keep pushing ahead, this hobby NEEDS honest folks like yourself, and
>> never forget that there are more horses' asses than there are horses.
>>
>> Todd
>
> Free non working arcade game PCB to the first person that can provide a
> documented, verified picture of a horse with more than one ass - and no, a
> picture of a horse with Gilbert Gottfried on it doesnt count, nor does a
> horse in a stall with a few donkeys
>
> Art
>
Anonymous
April 29, 2005 3:47:13 AM

Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade.collecting (More info?)

BWAAAAHAAAAHAAAHAAA!

Todd


"Chuk" <chuk@ourcade.com> wrote in message
news:1114732936.1891034e1c5d4c0c700f47454bb31887@teranews...
>I win!!!
>
> http://img55.exs.cx/img55/8343/n-bush-horse.jpg
>
> A horse with 2 asses!!!
>
>
> "Art Mallet - Artfromny - formerly A218@aol.com" <artgames@nycap.rr.com>
> wrote in message news:3Cece.9216$Bc7.3726@twister.nyroc.rr.com...
>>
>>
>> "toddahhhh" <toddahhhh at comcast dot net> wrote in message
>> news:VLudnUEaYohd7OzfRVn-2g@comcast.com...
>>> Keep pushing ahead, this hobby NEEDS honest folks like yourself, and
>>> never forget that there are more horses' asses than there are horses.
>>>
>>> Todd
>>
>> Free non working arcade game PCB to the first person that can provide a
>> documented, verified picture of a horse with more than one ass - and no,
>> a picture of a horse with Gilbert Gottfried on it doesnt count, nor does
>> a horse in a stall with a few donkeys
>>
>> Art
>>
>
>
Anonymous
April 29, 2005 3:48:07 AM

Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade.collecting (More info?)

I will gladly stand in and accept the free board on his humble behalf
...

I hops it's one I don't have already :) 

- Matt
Anonymous
April 29, 2005 4:51:55 AM

Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade.collecting (More info?)

DAMN - I guess you do :) 
Address?

--
Art
"Chuk" <chuk@ourcade.com> wrote in message
news:1114732936.1891034e1c5d4c0c700f47454bb31887@teranews...
>I win!!!
>
> http://img55.exs.cx/img55/8343/n-bush-horse.jpg
>
> A horse with 2 asses!!!
>
>
> "Art Mallet - Artfromny - formerly A218@aol.com" <artgames@nycap.rr.com>
> wrote in message news:3Cece.9216$Bc7.3726@twister.nyroc.rr.com...
>>
>>
>> "toddahhhh" <toddahhhh at comcast dot net> wrote in message
>> news:VLudnUEaYohd7OzfRVn-2g@comcast.com...
>>> Keep pushing ahead, this hobby NEEDS honest folks like yourself, and
>>> never forget that there are more horses' asses than there are horses.
>>>
>>> Todd
>>
>> Free non working arcade game PCB to the first person that can provide a
>> documented, verified picture of a horse with more than one ass - and no,
>> a picture of a horse with Gilbert Gottfried on it doesnt count, nor does
>> a horse in a stall with a few donkeys
>>
>> Art
>>
>
>
Anonymous
April 29, 2005 4:51:56 AM

Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade.collecting (More info?)

No need for material reward. My eternal immortilization in google is reward
enough.


"Art Mallet - Artfromny - formerly A218@aol.com" <artgames@nycap.rr.com>
wrote in message news:Lyfce.10259$XF3.2372@twister.nyroc.rr.com...
> DAMN - I guess you do :) 
> Address?
>
> --
> Art
> "Chuk" <chuk@ourcade.com> wrote in message
> news:1114732936.1891034e1c5d4c0c700f47454bb31887@teranews...
>>I win!!!
>>
>> http://img55.exs.cx/img55/8343/n-bush-horse.jpg
>>
>> A horse with 2 asses!!!
>>
>>
>> "Art Mallet - Artfromny - formerly A218@aol.com" <artgames@nycap.rr.com>
>> wrote in message news:3Cece.9216$Bc7.3726@twister.nyroc.rr.com...
>>>
>>>
>>> "toddahhhh" <toddahhhh at comcast dot net> wrote in message
>>> news:VLudnUEaYohd7OzfRVn-2g@comcast.com...
>>>> Keep pushing ahead, this hobby NEEDS honest folks like yourself, and
>>>> never forget that there are more horses' asses than there are horses.
>>>>
>>>> Todd
>>>
>>> Free non working arcade game PCB to the first person that can provide a
>>> documented, verified picture of a horse with more than one ass - and no,
>>> a picture of a horse with Gilbert Gottfried on it doesnt count, nor does
>>> a horse in a stall with a few donkeys
>>>
>>> Art
>>>
>>
>>
>
>
Anonymous
April 29, 2005 5:07:58 AM

Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade.collecting (More info?)

You got my vote. Very nice. I was able to upgrade my car with all of those
new jobs that have been created.
http://pepelepew9c.home.att.net/photo/image0101010.jpg

:o )


"Chuk" <chuk@ourcade.com> wrote in message
news:1114732936.1891034e1c5d4c0c700f47454bb31887@teranews...
> I win!!!
>
> http://img55.exs.cx/img55/8343/n-bush-horse.jpg
>
> A horse with 2 asses!!!
>
>
> "Art Mallet - Artfromny - formerly A218@aol.com" <artgames@nycap.rr.com>
> wrote in message news:3Cece.9216$Bc7.3726@twister.nyroc.rr.com...
> >
> >
> > "toddahhhh" <toddahhhh at comcast dot net> wrote in message
> > news:VLudnUEaYohd7OzfRVn-2g@comcast.com...
> >> Keep pushing ahead, this hobby NEEDS honest folks like yourself, and
> >> never forget that there are more horses' asses than there are horses.
> >>
> >> Todd
> >
> > Free non working arcade game PCB to the first person that can provide a
> > documented, verified picture of a horse with more than one ass - and no,
a
> > picture of a horse with Gilbert Gottfried on it doesnt count, nor does a
> > horse in a stall with a few donkeys
> >
> > Art
> >
>
>
Anonymous
May 6, 2005 8:55:53 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade.collecting (More info?)

Yikes! I need to charge more.

Pat D.


Art Mallet - Artfromny - formerly A218@aol.com wrote:
> Scott - far better to stick to local and operator repairs - the money
> especially from consumer in home service, is huge compared to what you can
> get here. I get $69 to go on site to diagnose a problem - diagnose in the
> sense that I pin it down to the power supply, game board, monitor or
> harness.
> I get $189 for rebuilt replacement monitor chassis installed (plus the
> initial $69), a flat $179 to swap a switcher or regulator type supple
> (includes the trip charge) and anywhere from $150 (Mortal Kombat) to $400
> (Ms Pac) installed for PCBs.
> I price these repairs the same way I price TV repairs, charge top top
> dollar, get them done in a hurry, and give a 30 day 50% warranty (if the
> same problem ocurrs within 30 days the replacement is done at 50% of the
> original charge, with no trip charge being added).
> I can already hear the flamers going off on me, but all I have to sell the
> consumer is time and expertise, and they can damn well pay for it or go
> eleswhere - and yes, about 20% of people calling me on the phone for game
> repairs just gasp or grunt and say bye ;) 
>
Anonymous
May 7, 2005 3:01:16 AM

Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade.collecting (More info?)

I got spoiled a LONG time ago when I realized that for the most part the
average consumer doesnt care what they pay for a repair. The big issues are
speed of showing up (4 hours is superb, 8 hours is impressive, 24 hours is
acceptable), showing up when you say you will (within 1/2 hour of the
appointment time), appearance by the tech that he has absolute confidence in
his ability to repair the product properly, and the ability to wrap it up in
2 trips at most.
If the job takes a second trip, a key factor is smothering the customer with
update phone calls - the part was ordered, the part was shipped, etc etc -
and when you call to tell them the part is in, be ready to leave almost
immediately to install it, and remember - the part ALWAYS "JUST" came in :) 
The business I ran for a major department store in the area, servicing 2 of
their stores (Albany NY and Springfield MA) handled almost 7000 repairs a
year for them, and they surveyed every customer. We fought like hell to get
a 100% satisfaction rating, made it only a few months (the reports of the
surveys were issued to us monthly), but maintained an average of over 97%.
I insisted my techs appy the same standards of service to the cash customers
that they did for the store's warranty customers, and up until 1999 when I
sold the business I was able to consistently raise labor rates a few percent
every month with no appreciable drop in voulme.

--
Art
"Pat D" <patdanis@comcast.net> wrote in message
news:FbqdnfWjS6t3eubfRVn-iw@comcast.com...
> Yikes! I need to charge more.
>
> Pat D.
>
>
> Art Mallet - Artfromny - formerly A218@aol.com wrote:
>> Scott - far better to stick to local and operator repairs - the money
>> especially from consumer in home service, is huge compared to what you
>> can get here. I get $69 to go on site to diagnose a problem - diagnose
>> in the sense that I pin it down to the power supply, game board, monitor
>> or harness.
>> I get $189 for rebuilt replacement monitor chassis installed (plus the
>> initial $69), a flat $179 to swap a switcher or regulator type supple
>> (includes the trip charge) and anywhere from $150 (Mortal Kombat) to $400
>> (Ms Pac) installed for PCBs.
>> I price these repairs the same way I price TV repairs, charge top top
>> dollar, get them done in a hurry, and give a 30 day 50% warranty (if the
>> same problem ocurrs within 30 days the replacement is done at 50% of the
>> original charge, with no trip charge being added).
>> I can already hear the flamers going off on me, but all I have to sell
>> the consumer is time and expertise, and they can damn well pay for it or
>> go eleswhere - and yes, about 20% of people calling me on the phone for
>> game repairs just gasp or grunt and say bye ;) 
>>
!