Status
Not open for further replies.

Uriah_Heep

Honorable
Jul 21, 2012
Hey guys,

Basically, I am in need of a new computer and I can't make a decision whether to get a desktop or a laptop. I don't travel much but still it'd be nice to lie down in bed with a laptop or take it to the patio or to the occasional vacations. I will use the computer mainly for Guild Wars 2, Diablo 3, Torchlight 2 and whatever enticing ARPGs come out in the next few years; and work (some Photoshop and other non-intensive tasks). I am debating between:

Laptop
i7-3610 QM
GTX 660M
8GB RAM
15.6 inch 1080p screen

and

Desktop
i3-2120
Radeon HD 7850
8 GB RAM
24 inch 1080p monitor

Price is about the same. I guess my question is is that desktop going to be noticeably better at the tasks I listed than the laptop so it's worth it to sacrifice mobility.

Thanks!

lordofdeath242

Honorable
Jul 15, 2012
as convienient as you think a laptop might be, one with those graphics will suck a battery dry in short order, but with the I7 u can turn off the 660 and use the igp,
the gtx 640 ought to easily handle the games you mentioned

rubbateckie

Honorable
Jul 14, 2012
Well Guild Wars 2 probably needs the GTX 660M for it to be run around high.
Your battery life won't be above 3 hours unless you do with with something more like the 640M, but that may not be a big deal to you.
Also note that laptops with the GTX 660M are all heavy and thick so they are not physically very portable anyway.

In terms of performance, 3dmark scores is the only way I can figure out how to compare a desktop card to a laptop card.
GTX 660M: 2330
vs
HD 7850: 5780

Basically graphics card wise, the desktop lets you play maxed on everything you listed including future games for a while. The Laptop lets you play on high for everything now, but some of the more intensive games may need high-medium settings. If this is assuming both are 1080p screens of course.

Also, how the hell are they the same price when the desktop has a second generation i3?! Where are you looking at these prices. That card with that processor makes no sense to me in anyway at all.

Frankly, my performance comparison makes no sense if the desktop really has an i3 because thats a low-mid end processor for a much higher end card.

Uriah_Heep

Honorable
Jul 21, 2012
Thanks for the input!

Well, the price becomes the same when you add the monitor and keyboard. Otherwise the desktop is way cheaper - because of the low end processor, as you noted. But shouldn't the i3 be enough for current games?

Anyway, if you think the 660m will be able to run current games on high on 1080p then I will probably go for the laptop because of the added mobility and because I don't need it to be THAT portable - mainly to take it to bed for movie watching/browsing when I am done gaming.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
It is true for value a desktop would be more affordable. However for comfort in your own bed it wouldn’t be such a bad idea buying a laptop.

The battery lead is long enough so you could still have it connected to a power point. Also some advice is to have a board or dinner tray with legs to rest the laptop on as to not block any vents from the blanket.

Another idea is having a tv in your room which you can use to connect your pc and/or laptop to and using Bluetooth wireless keyboard/mouse.

Laptops today are quite powerful, albeit potentially not as powerful as a desktop but it all comes down to personal preference and how much you’re willing to spend.

dosdecarnitas

Distinguished
May 23, 2011
i also liked the idea of a laptop being portable but gaming on a laptop doesnt come near a dektop, basically what i did is bought a cheap laptop for web browsing and spend 1500 dlls on a desktop with no monitor, just connected it to my HDTV and VOILA super gaming on my 42 inch tv and still have a computer to use anywhere

pezonator

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2011
That is a nice laptop and if you are ok with lowering detail over time, it will be perfect. I have a laptop with a GT 555M graphics card hooked up to a 1080p monitor and it can play Diablo 3 maxed out. I'm sure the GTX 660M is quite a bit more powerful.

Status
Not open for further replies.