can't open user accounts

clicking on "user accounts" opens note pad message " invalid
directory,filename or syntax". uisng windows XP on pentuim 4.
7 answers Last reply
More about open user accounts

    This tool is not available on a computer that is a member of a Domain.
    Are you the Administrator?
    --
    I'm no expert, but I did stay at
    the Holiday Inn Express last night.

    "hirschfeld" wrote:

    > clicking on "user accounts" opens note pad message " invalid
    > directory,filename or syntax". uisng windows XP on pentuim 4.

    The computer is in my home; I am the administrator. I initially set up an
    account for myself and one for my daughter. She now has her own pc with
    wireless access to the router I added to mine. We were able to change
    pictures and do any of the things you can do in "user accounts". After she
    had her own pc I decided to close her account on my Gateway, but got the
    notepad message "invalid directory, filename or syntax". I can not get past
    that message, while her game files take up space and slow down my virus sans.
    Someone suggested an app. called DELUSER, but it did not help. Is there a
    backdoor to "user accounts", and what is the meaning of the error message?
    thanks for responding - Hirschfeld

    "Byte" wrote:

    > This tool is not available on a computer that is a member of a Domain.
    > Are you the Administrator?
    > --
    > I'm no expert, but I did stay at
    > the Holiday Inn Express last night.
    >

    > "hirschfeld" wrote:
    >
    > > clicking on "user accounts" opens note pad message " invalid
    > > directory,filename or syntax". uisng windows XP on pentuim 4.

    Open a CMD prompt window and type this command: (without quotes)

    "assoc .hta=htafile"

    Then, open Windows\System32 folder and note down the file-size for
    mshta.exe. Post the info here.

    --
    Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
    Windows XP Shell/User

    "hirschfeld" <hirschfeld@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > clicking on "user accounts" opens note pad message " invalid
    > directory,filename or syntax". uisng windows XP on pentuim 4.

    Hello Ramesh-
    At the command prompt I typed assoc.hta=htafile and hit enter
    the window repeated hta=htafile and then returned another command prompt
    line, C:documents,settings, owner>
    I typed in windows\system32
    this was not recognized as a command, so nothing happened.

    I located the mshta.exe file with the seach engine; there are 3:
    MSHTA.EXE-1299A8EF.pf this is a 10KB file
    mshta.exe; this is the WINNT\system32 file; 65KB
    mshta.exe; this is WINNT\SoftwareDistribution\Download\(long string of
    letters and #; 29KB

    I think the last one is an app I downloaded, a security devise recommended
    by PC magazine. Maybe this is the problem. I will delete it and see. Will
    also wait for your response. Thanks, Hirschfeld
    "Ramesh, MS-MVP" wrote:

    > Open a CMD prompt window and type this command: (without quotes)
    >
    > "assoc .hta=htafile"
    >
    > Then, open Windows\System32 folder and note down the file-size for
    > mshta.exe. Post the info here.
    >
    > --
    > Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
    > Windows XP Shell/User
    > http://windowsxp.mvps.org
    >

    > "hirschfeld" <hirschfeld@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > clicking on "user accounts" opens note pad message " invalid
    > > directory,filename or syntax". uisng windows XP on pentuim 4.

    The 65KB mshta.exe file might be the renamed notepad.exe. You can confirm it
    by double-clicking the mshta.exe in your System32 folder. BTW, the filesize
    of the original mshta.exe from XP SP2 system is 29KB

    Try extracting the original copy from the XP CD, or ServicePack Files source
    path. Or, see if copying the file from SoftwareDistribution folder helps.

    --

    > Hello Ramesh-
    > At the command prompt I typed assoc.hta=htafile and hit enter
    > the window repeated hta=htafile and then returned another command prompt
    > line, C:documents,settings, owner>
    > I typed in windows\system32
    > this was not recognized as a command, so nothing happened.
    >
    > I located the mshta.exe file with the seach engine; there are 3:
    > MSHTA.EXE-1299A8EF.pf this is a 10KB file
    > mshta.exe; this is the WINNT\system32 file; 65KB
    > mshta.exe; this is WINNT\SoftwareDistribution\Download\(long string of
    > letters and #; 29KB
    >
    > I think the last one is an app I downloaded, a security devise recommended
    > by PC magazine. Maybe this is the problem. I will delete it and see.
    > Will
    > also wait for your response. Thanks, Hirschfeld
    > "Ramesh, MS-MVP" wrote:
    >
    >> Open a CMD prompt window and type this command: (without quotes)
    >>
    >> "assoc .hta=htafile"
    >>
    >> Then, open Windows\System32 folder and note down the file-size for
    >> mshta.exe. Post the info here.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
    >> Windows XP Shell/User
    >> http://windowsxp.mvps.org
    >>

    >> "hirschfeld" <hirschfeld@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> > clicking on "user accounts" opens note pad message " invalid
    >> > directory,filename or syntax". uisng windows XP on pentuim 4.

    Ramesh,
    I've found the file in my CD, I copied it and wrote it to the system32 file;
    still get error message on notepad, BTW the mshta.exe is a notepad file
    according to the icon. I don't how how to remove the old mshta and replace
    it. I've tried to delete the old .exe, but came back.

    "Ramesh, MS-MVP" wrote:

    > The 65KB mshta.exe file might be the renamed notepad.exe. You can confirm it
    > by double-clicking the mshta.exe in your System32 folder. BTW, the filesize
    > of the original mshta.exe from XP SP2 system is 29KB
    >
    > Try extracting the original copy from the XP CD, or ServicePack Files source
    > path. Or, see if copying the file from SoftwareDistribution folder helps.
    >
    > --
    > Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
    > Windows XP Shell/User
    > http://windowsxp.mvps.org
    >

    > "hirschfeld" <hirschfeld@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > Hello Ramesh-
    > > At the command prompt I typed assoc.hta=htafile and hit enter
    > > the window repeated hta=htafile and then returned another command prompt
    > > line, C:documents,settings, owner>
    > > I typed in windows\system32
    > > this was not recognized as a command, so nothing happened.
    > >
    > > I located the mshta.exe file with the seach engine; there are 3:
    > > MSHTA.EXE-1299A8EF.pf this is a 10KB file
    > > mshta.exe; this is the WINNT\system32 file; 65KB
    > > mshta.exe; this is WINNT\SoftwareDistribution\Download\(long string of
    > > letters and #; 29KB
    > >
    > > I think the last one is an app I downloaded, a security devise recommended
    > > by PC magazine. Maybe this is the problem. I will delete it and see.
    > > Will
    > > also wait for your response. Thanks, Hirschfeld
    > > "Ramesh, MS-MVP" wrote:
    > >
    > >> Open a CMD prompt window and type this command: (without quotes)
    > >>
    > >> "assoc .hta=htafile"
    > >>
    > >> Then, open Windows\System32 folder and note down the file-size for
    > >> mshta.exe. Post the info here.
    > >>
    > >> --
    > >> Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
    > >> Windows XP Shell/User
    > >> http://windowsxp.mvps.org
    > >>

    > >> "hirschfeld" <hirschfeld@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

    hirschfeld

    Try SFC: http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=310747

    --

    > Ramesh,
    > I've found the file in my CD, I copied it and wrote it to the system32
    > file;
    > still get error message on notepad, BTW the mshta.exe is a notepad file
    > according to the icon. I don't how how to remove the old mshta and replace
    > it. I've tried to delete the old .exe, but came back.
    >
    > "Ramesh, MS-MVP" wrote:
    >
    >> The 65KB mshta.exe file might be the renamed notepad.exe. You can confirm
    >> it
    >> by double-clicking the mshta.exe in your System32 folder. BTW, the
    >> filesize
    >> of the original mshta.exe from XP SP2 system is 29KB
    >>
    >> Try extracting the original copy from the XP CD, or ServicePack Files
    >> source
    >> path. Or, see if copying the file from SoftwareDistribution folder helps.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
    >> Windows XP Shell/User
    >> http://windowsxp.mvps.org
    >>

    >> "hirschfeld" <hirschfeld@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> > Hello Ramesh-
    >> > At the command prompt I typed assoc.hta=htafile and hit enter
    >> > the window repeated hta=htafile and then returned another command
    >> > prompt
    >> > line, C:documents,settings, owner>
    >> > I typed in windows\system32
    >> > this was not recognized as a command, so nothing happened.
    >> >
    >> > I located the mshta.exe file with the seach engine; there are 3:
    >> > MSHTA.EXE-1299A8EF.pf this is a 10KB file
    >> > mshta.exe; this is the WINNT\system32 file; 65KB
    >> > mshta.exe; this is WINNT\SoftwareDistribution\Download\(long string of
    >> > letters and #; 29KB
    >> >
    >> > I think the last one is an app I downloaded, a security devise
    >> > recommended
    >> > by PC magazine. Maybe this is the problem. I will delete it and see.
    >> > Will
    >> > also wait for your response. Thanks, Hirschfeld

Support Windows XP Microsoft User Accounts Filename