Strange problem on Dell Inspiron

alru111

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2004
I have a problem on my inspiron 5100.
It's only 2 months old and I never had this problem before.
It shuts down after a while.
It happens when some CPU demanding process is on. Like DVD player, CPU test program, Win Deafraug. And the overall cpu performance is very weak. Even playing a DivX movie on the background makes the sound all jerky, I am not talking about running several processes at the same time.
It just shuts off without any notice or error.
Bottom of the computer gets pretty hot too.

Who knows what the problem is? What should I do?
Are there any tools to test the CPU performance, temperature?

RaPTuRe

Distinguished
Sep 5, 2001
Use I8kFanGUI from www.diefer.de, to determine exactly how hot your CPU gets while running the above mentioned tasks. It is most likely heat related, the Inspiron 5000 series has been known to overheat. You may need to clean the dust out of your CPU fan. Get back to us, and we'll be able to help you further.

RaPTuRe

Who's General Failure and why's he reading my disk?

alru111

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2004
with 10% cpu load
I have 72C cpu
and 52C HDD
Is it normal? Is there way to install a second fan?
I will try later running DVD and getting stats

BigRat

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
wow just 10%? even my 5150 doesn't get that hot. i've tested it at 100% load for 10 minutes and got it to 69 degree celcius

:cool: :eek: :redface: :frown: :lol: :mad: :eek: :smile: :tongue: :wink: :evil:

RaPTuRe

Distinguished
Sep 5, 2001
That could definitely be the problem. If your CPU is sitting at 72'C at 10% Usage, it is most likely a heat problem. You should take out the fan and clean it (a fairly basic procedure, there is a step by step guide in the support section of the dell.com site under 'reference' - i would link to it, but their site is 'malfunctioning' so i can't get the url) - if it carries on, you should definitely get Dell to service your notebook.

RaPTuRe

alru111

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2004
Thanks guys
I fugured out what is the critical temperature for my system. At 76C it shuts down - it's about 15 minutes of running at 100% cpu load.
I thought that P4 have some intelligent temperature control or something like that.
I called Dell customer support. They were traditionally unhelpfull. They suggested sending the laptop in their service facility. That would mean at least a weak without computer and a trouble of backing up all data.
I will definitely try to clean the fan.
I recently installed new intel chipset drivers. Can this be a problem. Can it be software related at all?

RaPTuRe

Distinguished
Sep 5, 2001
No, it is certainly not software fault. It really should not be getting that hot, I would recommend you specify fanGUI to switch on the fan at quite a lower CPU temperature. But yes, if cleaning the fan does not work, you should definitely send it in.

The P4 does support thermal throttling, but Dell must've opted to disable this feature (for reasons unbeknownst to me) on the 5100. I know that all the Dells I've owned have supported thermal throttling.

Perhaps you should look on the Dell Support Forums and see if anyone else has had a problem similar to yours?

RaPTuRe

RaPTuRe

Distinguished
Sep 5, 2001
<A HREF="http://premiersupport.dell.com/docs/systems/ins5100/en/sm/thermal.htm#1084976" target="_new">here</A> is the link that I could not post earlier.

RaPTuRe