Sign in with
Your question

Earthquake: Where Tom's readers felt it

Last response: in News & Leisure
August 23, 2011 7:28:56 PM

Felt it at work in Essex, CT. Very interesting sensation. Lot's of co-workers thought they were going crazy hahaha

Post where you are if you felt it, I'm trying to get a grasp of how far the tremors went!
August 23, 2011 7:47:58 PM

We were a bit closer on our big sand bar (Long Island), Ronkonkoma, NY. Interesting sensation indeed.
August 23, 2011 7:52:46 PM

I felt it in NH right near Dartmouth. It felt just like a gentle rocking while i was in my office. I thought they turned on some equipment.....The quietest most powerful equipment......
Related resources
August 23, 2011 7:53:20 PM

Charlotte NC. shaky shaky
August 23, 2011 8:34:03 PM

Norwalk , CT Building rocked back and forth noticeably. Ceiling tiles made noise too as it happened.
August 23, 2011 8:50:14 PM

I was talking to a buddy in Pittsburgh who felt it. Called friends in Fairfax Va. half did half did not.
August 23, 2011 9:58:49 PM

Glen Allen, VA

Lasted about 10-12 seconds, I think. Not sure, time sorta stood still. My first earthquake, you understand.
August 23, 2011 10:48:14 PM

Oldmangamer how strong did it feel since you were close to the epicenter?
August 23, 2011 11:14:40 PM

It was scary. I stood up, and instantly thought about falling under my desk and was getting ready to shout for everyone to do the same. Then I was fascinated and just wanted to stand there and feel it. As it went on, my mind's fear kept thinking "when is it going to stop? Or, what if it becomes stronger and the building starts falling down around me? Very disconcerting thoughts you can be sure.
August 23, 2011 11:50:42 PM

Funny how these are hitting diverse areas, in Colorado too
August 23, 2011 11:53:06 PM

It's not unprecedented. The same fault was active only 100 years ago according to what I have read so far. 100 years is not even a blink in geologic terms.
August 24, 2011 3:30:25 PM

It was an automatic shutdown by the system from siesmic readings... good to know we have precautionary systems in place for our reactors
August 24, 2011 8:00:30 PM

Well I was on the 8th floor of an office building in Alexandria, VA - some 80 miles away. When my desk & chair started pitching towards the window, I decided to visit the men's room which is in the center of the building next to the elevator shafts :p . Not only safer should the building facade collapse, but remarkably convenient after the p!ss got scared out of me!! :D 
August 24, 2011 8:10:24 PM

wow fazers! I've read reports that some of the building in DC actually sustained some damage.

It was crazy, for sure. Never felt anything like it before.
August 24, 2011 8:17:37 PM

US Geological service on the internet has a shake map up.

Some of my family did not feel a thing while others in the area definitely felt it.

Let's just say the East Coast has much to learn still. Where I live near Memphis, if there is ever another big one, you will feel it all the way to Maine and I will not be alive to tweet about it.

Yes the Washington Monument has some damage and they will need to see how best to make repairs before re-opening. Anyone being up that high when the quake hit probably will suffer mental issues for a while LOL.
August 25, 2011 3:26:10 AM

Oldmangamer_73 said:
It was scary. I stood up, and instantly thought about falling under my desk and was getting ready to shout for everyone to do the same. Then I was fascinated and just wanted to stand there and feel it. As it went on, my mind's fear kept thinking "when is it going to stop? Or, what if it becomes stronger and the building starts falling down around me? Very disconcerting thoughts you can be sure.

I am just north of Baltimore. At the time, I was home and my TV and Lamp started shaking pretty violently. I was confused...I thought either a tree fell on my house or my air compressor blew up. Went downstairs and outside to investigate and everything was fine. I had Fox News on in the background and megan kelly said they were getting reports an earthquake.

A sigh of relief for me...thankfully it was just something minor as an earthquake, because if my compressor blew or a tree fell on my house the damage would be a *BIT* more extensive.

First earthquake of my entire life, it was very interesting/fun I must say :)  When ground below your feet shakes it feels pretty awesome.
August 25, 2011 1:12:19 PM

Oldmangamer_73 said:
wow fazers! I've read reports that some of the building in DC actually sustained some damage.

It was crazy, for sure. Never felt anything like it before.

Yeah, I've got one of those miserable summer colds as well, so at first I thought maybe I OD'd on too much Afrin nasal spray :p ..

The Washington Cathedral lost some of its decorations, there's some cracks in the Washington Monument (no telling how long it will be closed - they just renovated it a few years ago too), etc etc.

Yesterday my wife & I walked all around the outside & inside of our house checking for damage, since it is some 60 miles close to the epicenter here in Woodbridge, VA. I didn't see anything except a few pictures a bit askew, but nobody here has quake insurance anyway :p .. I did go buy a couple fire extinguishers however, as we have natural gas heating & cooking. Scared the bejeesus out of my mother-in-law, who is Vietnamese, and now we might get brushed by Hurricane Ilene this weekend. Heh, maybe she'll move back to Vietnam now :p ..
August 25, 2011 1:17:03 PM

blackhawk1928 said:
I am just north of Baltimore. At the time, I was home and my TV and Lamp started shaking pretty violently. I was confused...I thought either a tree fell on my house or my air compressor blew up. Went downstairs and outside to investigate and everything was fine. I had Fox News on in the background and megan kelly said they were getting reports an earthquake.

A sigh of relief for me...thankfully it was just something minor as an earthquake, because if my compressor blew or a tree fell on my house the damage would be a *BIT* more extensive.

First earthquake of my entire life, it was very interesting/fun I must say :)  When ground below your feet shakes it feels pretty awesome.

Yeah, but you most likely don't have earthquake coverage on your insurance, in which case that tree falling on your house would turn out much less expensive to fix :) .

My ex-wife lives within eyesight of the Chesapeake Bay in Annapolis, but unfortunately no tsunami occurred to sweep her away :kaola: 
August 25, 2011 1:39:58 PM

Fleetwood Pa.,right outside Reading..I was in my second floor apartment,I could hear it coming up the street,like some train or something,then the whole building started to rock back and forth,all I could think of was that the building was going to collapse considering the building I live and work in is around 150 years old and is held up by building jacks in the basement,so I was a little worried,but yeah,it was interesting and was my first earthquake also...........
August 25, 2011 2:32:33 PM

I were on 15th Fl in John Hopkins, when I look through the windows I saw other bldg nearby on swing. This is maybe my once lifetime experience. Hope this my only one.
August 25, 2011 4:19:22 PM

fazers_on_stun said:
Yeah, but you most likely don't have earthquake coverage on your insurance, in which case that tree falling on your house would turn out much less expensive to fix :) .

My ex-wife lives within eyesight of the Chesapeake Bay in Annapolis, but unfortunately no tsunami occurred to sweep her away :kaola: 

HAHA! Wow, it took me a few seconds to realize what you wrote on the second line...I interpreted that as * fortunately* until I read it again. That's funny :) 

Yes you are write about the insurance, however even a worse earthquake would just cause some lamps and some books to fall over, but the trees in my area are as high as I can see, if one of them falls...I couldn't care less about insurance, because it would level off half my house if not the entire thing. Not to mention, I've got a cat and a dog that I don't want harmed.

Next time we get an earthquake, Im going to kick my pets outside into the open yard. Its safer there than inside according to the internet, because earthquakes themselves aren't dangerous...only man made objects are since they fall over.
August 25, 2011 5:08:03 PM

Felt in in Ann Arbor, Michigan...on the 4th floor of our building - low rumble, but obviously not normal.
August 25, 2011 5:13:27 PM

Hampton Va. - 2nd floor. afterwards went looking to see who was walking their elephants. Didn't bother me as it was too short of duration. Called the wife, she was cleaning the fridge and she figured her verigo was acting up, but then she was in LA when they had one that was much worst.

Bigger concern is Irene is coming to close for comfort. Have survived Several, But only two that caused some damage. The first one did some minor damage to the house. I was in Italy so my wife went to my son's house (Fredrick Md) they came down afterwards and he had to cut some large branches off of the roof. About 1K to my car. The 2nd one did a wee bit more damage as a large tree fell on the corner of the house - About 25K damages.
August 25, 2011 5:27:53 PM

I don't know where hurricane Irene is...looks like it hasn't even hit florida yet, but MD is getting rain and T-storms today already. Must be another storm.
August 25, 2011 8:01:11 PM

blackhawk1928 said:
HAHA! Wow, it took me a few seconds to realize what you wrote on the second line...I interpreted that as * fortunately* until I read it again. That's funny :) 

Yes you are write about the insurance, however even a worse earthquake would just cause some lamps and some books to fall over, but the trees in my area are as high as I can see, if one of them falls...I couldn't care less about insurance, because it would level off half my house if not the entire thing. Not to mention, I've got a cat and a dog that I don't want harmed.

Next time we get an earthquake, Im going to kick my pets outside into the open yard. Its safer there than inside according to the internet, because earthquakes themselves aren't dangerous...only man made objects are since they fall over.

You're lucky they didn't poop and/or pee on the rug, in their anxiety. I've heard stories about earthquake-terrorized pets from some California friends..

Well I also don't have hurricane or flood insurance, so this might be a bad weekend if the latest computer tracking modes, which are showing Irene's potential track shifting to the West, are accurate.

My mom pays about $2100 a year on her house in Jacksonville, FL, which is probably worth < $200K, thanks to all the special assessments, flood & mandatory hurricane coverage. My insurance is half that on a house worth 3 times as much.
August 25, 2011 8:05:35 PM

Long Island NY, Melville, I was standing up at the time and didnt feel ***, is there something wrong with me? lool
!