Y580 build quality

Status
Not open for further replies.

Delacrois

Honorable
Jul 22, 2012
Hello, i want to buy this laptop as a gift. He will use it for programming and casual gaming. Is this a good choise? I want it to last for 5-6 years. I live outside of USA but i have the ocasion to buy one from there.

cousi2344

Honorable
Jul 19, 2012
According to the reviewers, yes. I don't own one myself, but I've been looking for a laptop with about the same specifications as that one and I'm considering buying this. It'll definitely be good for gaming (it'll run the latest, most demanding games on medium to high settings), and I think it should do fine for programming. However, I should caution you that 5-6 years is a very long time for a laptop. If you take good care of it you should be able to keep it running that long, but it will probably not last that long as far as keeping up with modern games go. And one other thing--you might want to make sure you don't have the 1366x768 display, it's not very good and the main complaint of reviewers, so if you would be bothered by a low-quality screen you should consider uprgrading that to the 1920x1080.

sephmeister

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2012
Most laptops nowadays don't last 5-6 years... however Lenovo is the laptop division of IBM which were rock solid so I'd say if any laptop could, it's a lenovo.

rubbateckie

Honorable
Jul 14, 2012
Wait till some people that own it respond. Or look for reviews specific to the Y580. I did not think it had the best build when I got a chance to feel and play with one. But I only had it for a few minutes and it was one of the ones that sit out for everyone to play with in an electronics store so they take a beating.

Like raytseng said, it is Lenovo Thinkpad's that historically have amazing quality. The Ideapad line does not have the same reputation or even the same role in Lenovo's line. They are cheaper and therefore feel cheaper. I thought the Y580 had flimsy and annoying feeling plastics - but again I only had aa couple of miniutes so take my opinions on it with a grain of salt! :)

ThinkPads are rock solid laptops. My IBM ThinkPad T40 from 2003 still works to this very day. It's a bit slow and sluggish, but it still works fine.

Lenovo's IdeaPad series is not built to the same standards as ThinkPads and they generally run a bit hotter because they have dedicated GPUs rather than integrated GPUs to play games rather than simply for business use.

Can an IdeaPad last 5 - 6 years? Maybe, but difficult to say. The only way to really know is to is to wait 5 - 6 years from now. You should consider buying an extended warranty beyond the standard 1 year warranty because as the laptop ages it can become prone malfunctions especially if there is a lot of heat involve such as with gaming laptops.

I never had to call IBM for warranty service for the ThinkPad T40 during the standard 3 year warranty period.

rubbateckie

Honorable
Jul 14, 2012
Be warned, even Thinkpad's build quality has come down (still the best of any big time manufacturer probably) but it is not that same ridiculous perfection that people got in things like the T40s :p

Status
Not open for further replies.