Thin 13" laptop with an express card slot

Status
Not open for further replies.

MidoBan

Distinguished
Sep 30, 2009
Hi, i'm looking for a thin laptop (in the style of the macbook air or the new dell xps 13), that has an express card slot. I'm looking it up on the web, but i haven't found anything great, maybe some of you know of something i'm missing.

I need the express card slot because i'm planning on getting the best of both worlds - gaming and mobility. I want to get an express card external graphics card slot (PCIe).
I want only one pc for everything, and the reason i'm not getting a laptop that already has a good GPU, is that i want a thin 13", and there aren't any good ones with a great GPU for gaming. Also, an external GPU will always be better then an internal one, and will give the option to upgrade only the graphics card when needed, without replacing the whole laptop.

Thanks

MidoBan

Distinguished
Sep 30, 2009

Oh, thanks for this info!
So thunderbolt is faster then express card? thunderbolt is only on macs?
EDIT: i was looking at this before http://www.villageinstruments.com/tiki-index.php?page=ViDock

Thunderbolt is currently making it's way into ultrabooks and PCs. It's on the higher end models at the moment, which are expensive. The promise of thunderbolt is bringing pcie outside the case for one cord docking (it Carries displayport and pcie, and can be daisy chained), faster storage solutions, and use of add in cards like that dock. selection is limited ATM as it's just getting going for PCs, and the market/motivation with Macs was naturally pretty limited.

MidoBan

Distinguished
Sep 30, 2009

From a brief reading on the web, i don't see how its possible for me to use a powerful graphics card with a thunderbolt PCIe adapters such as the magma one.
On magma's site, it says that the box supplies up to 250W of power, and when i look at new graphics cards, they require around 650W, so how can i really use the thunderbolt external PCIe box for graphics cards?

EDIT: Sorry this wasn't true, i was looking at "Minimum System Power Requirement", which isn't the correct spec to look for.

Correct, you want TDP. the top 2 single cards on the market are below 250W. Now. Depending on the design you might hit bandwidth issues with the very Highend, but still way way better than express card which is PCI based. You have to double check the bandwidth .numbers, I don't remember off the top of my head. Sure a 7850 is better.than any laptop card though

Status
Not open for further replies.