I need to take appart my cabinet so I can move it up several flights of
stairs. I want to remove the CRT assembly, but I'm unsure how safe this
is. I'm not replacing the tube, or messing with the anode or the neck
board. Do I need to discharge it before taking it out, or will I be safe
just moving it as-is? I'd like to avoide discharging it after what I've
read about the process.

thanks in advance!
OLLIVER

Umm... I'd discharge it myself... the last thing you want is to get
accidently zapped while you're carrying the monitor...

"OLLIVER" <ollie_zero@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>I need to take appart my cabinet so I can move it up several flights of
>stairs. I want to remove the CRT assembly, but I'm unsure how safe this
>is. I'm not replacing the tube, or messing with the anode or the neck
>board. Do I need to discharge it before taking it out, or will I be safe
>just moving it as-is? I'd like to avoide discharging it after what I've
>read about the process.
>
> thanks in advance!
> OLLIVER

discharging is only scary the 1st time you do it, but it really isnt that
bad, if you are careful where your hands are.

Todd

"Steve Muccione" <home*DOT*muccione@verizon.net> wrote in message
> Umm... I'd discharge it myself... the last thing you want is to get
> accidently zapped while you're carrying the monitor...
>
> "OLLIVER" <ollie_zero@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>I need to take appart my cabinet so I can move it up several flights of
>>stairs. I want to remove the CRT assembly, but I'm unsure how safe this
>>is. I'm not replacing the tube, or messing with the anode or the neck
>>board. Do I need to discharge it before taking it out, or will I be safe
>>just moving it as-is? I'd like to avoide discharging it after what I've
>>read about the process.
>>
>> thanks in advance!
>> OLLIVER
>>
>> --
>> Using Opera's revolutionary e-mail client: http://www.opera.com/mail/

Geeze, I suppose you discharge your TV set every time you rearrage the
living room too!

There is absolutely NO need to discharge a tube unless there is a SPECIFIC
reason to remove the anode cap (tube swap or chassis repair).

Doing so only will lead to you increasing the chance of getting zapped,
and/or ruining the tube or chassis in the process--especially if you are a
novice.

C'mon... think about it logically!

"Steve Muccione" <home*DOT*muccione@verizon.net> wrote in message
> Umm... I'd discharge it myself... the last thing you want is to get
> accidently zapped while you're carrying the monitor...
>
> "OLLIVER" <ollie_zero@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>I need to take appart my cabinet so I can move it up several flights of
>>stairs. I want to remove the CRT assembly, but I'm unsure how safe this
>>is. I'm not replacing the tube, or messing with the anode or the neck
>>board. Do I need to discharge it before taking it out, or will I be safe
>>just moving it as-is? I'd like to avoide discharging it after what I've
>>read about the process.
>>
>> thanks in advance!
>> OLLIVER
>>
>> --
>> Using Opera's revolutionary e-mail client: http://www.opera.com/mail/

Just don't stick your
tounge under the anode cap while holding the monitor up to your chest.
:)

I like that roy...have to give it a try sometime.
Only monitor chassies I do not like are the Neo Tec's the large clump
of caps on the corner of the board allways manage to hold a charge. You
end up finding them with your desolder station or your fingers as you
are matching up the cap to holes on the solder side.

J & R

There is no need to discharge a monitor to move it. Just don't stick your
tounge under the anode cap while holding the monitor up to your chest. :)

-roy-