Sign in with
Your question

Best Gaming Laptop for under $1000? (July 2012)

Tags:
Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
July 22, 2012 8:11:13 PM

So I've been looking into getting a laptop for college, and the best laptop I've found so far is this Lenovo Y580 for $999.

System Components

Processor
3rd generation Intel Core i7-3610QM Processor( 2.30GHz 6MB)

Operating system
Genuine Windows 7 Home Premium 64

Graphics
NVIDIA GeForce GTX660M 2GB

Memory
8.0GB PC3-12800 DDR3 SDRAM 1600 MHz

Display
15.6" FHD LED Glare Wedge 1920x1080

Hard Drive
500GB 7200 rpm

Optical Drive
Blu-ray/DVD-RW

Is this a good buy or are there better options for the same price (or less)?

Thanks in advance.
a b D Laptop
July 22, 2012 8:12:30 PM

That seems reasonable for the price. If anything I can recommend, I would suggest for you to take a look at a similarly equipped ASUS.

Have you considered Alienware (by Dell) ?
m
l
July 22, 2012 8:31:56 PM

Maxx_Power said:
That seems reasonable for the price. If anything I can recommend, I would suggest for you to take a look at a similarly equipped ASUS.

Have you considered Alienware (by Dell) ?

Thanks for such a fast reply! But yes, I have been looking at Alienware as well, since they were my first choice, but to try and match the specs of the Lenovo I'd have to modify a M14x which brings to price up to $1,475 (The M17x has a LOT bigger screen but also costs around $1,675).

As for Asus I've never really looked into any of their models, I'll have to do that now. Are there any specific ones you had in mind?
m
l
Related resources
a b D Laptop
July 22, 2012 8:45:59 PM

That Lenovo seems really cost effective actually. As a FYI, other than Alienware, I wouldn't touch Dell.
m
l
July 22, 2012 8:53:17 PM

Maxx_Power said:
http://usa.asus.com/Notebooks/Gaming_Powerhouse/G55VW/#...

Seems comparable in configuration to what Lenovo has. BUT, I'm thinking this is a little too costly.

Yeah, it is a bit of up jump in price. Thanks for your help, I think I'm going to go ahead and snag the Lenovo while the promotion is still going on.

Maxx_Power said:
That Lenovo seems really cost effective actually. As a FYI, other than Alienware, I wouldn't touch Dell.

Oh, yeah. I've had enough Inspirons in my time to know not to get near those things. :p 
m
l
a b D Laptop
July 22, 2012 8:54:14 PM

Enjoy the Lenovo then! I had one a while ago, and it was very reliable.
m
l
!