Odd GX1 Win 98SE Problem

I have an Optiplex GX1 with Win 98SE. I have tried to open .txt files in
a particular folder by clicking on the file, and received a error
message that the "this file could not be found; check path and file
name. If I open Wordpad and then browse to the file it opens ok. If I
move the file to another folder it will open fine.
What would cause this?
Thanks
Chuck

KA6UUP <ka6uup@pacbell.net> wrote in

> I have an Optiplex GX1 with Win 98SE. I have tried to open .txt files
> in a particular folder by clicking on the file, and received a error
> message that the "this file could not be found; check path and file
> name. If I open Wordpad and then browse to the file it opens ok. If I
> move the file to another folder it will open fine.
> What would cause this?
> Thanks
> Chuck

It sounds like some other program associated itself with TXT files and
that program is no longer available.

Instead of just clicking on the TXT file, RIGHT CLICK on it, select
"Open with...", select Wordpad, and check the box for "Always use this
program to open this type of file".

This works in NT, 2K and XP, I can't remember back far enough to
positively recall if it also works in '98 but I'm fairly certain it
does.

- FM -

> I have an Optiplex GX1 with Win 98SE. I have tried to open .txt files in
> a particular folder by clicking on the file, and received a error
> message that the "this file could not be found; check path and file
> name. If I open Wordpad and then browse to the file it opens ok. If I
> move the file to another folder it will open fine.
> What would cause this?

Sounds odd - have you tried a normal text editor from a third party (ie.
www.editpadlite.com) just in case its a Wordpad problem ?

Have you checked the attributes for the folder
in question?

In article <3lMSd.10427$DC6.6210@newssvr14.news.prodigy.com>,
KA6UUP <ka6uup@pacbell.net> wrote:
>I have an Optiplex GX1 with Win 98SE. I have tried to open .txt files in
>a particular folder by clicking on the file, and received a error
>message that the "this file could not be found; check path and file
>name. If I open Wordpad and then browse to the file it opens ok. If I
>move the file to another folder it will open fine.
>What would cause this?
>Thanks
>Chuck

Broken file association. There are plenty of utilities to fix this, but
the no-download solution is:

Right click on text file.
Choose "open with".
Find wordpad.exe, either from the list or by browsing.
Choose "always use this program to open..."
Fixed.