6800GT x X800 PRO

Jordao

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2004
Hi guys.
I know that from time to time this question comes up, but I´d like some help to make a decision. I have upgrated my PC recently and have these 2 options as a graphic card. I have a P4 2.8 Prescott / ASUS P4P800 E-DLX /1 GHz RAM OCZ PC3500 EB and use my computer basicaly to edit some videos and play Nascar Racing 2003. Wich of these 2 cards do you think will be best for me? (I don´t have the option to a 6800 U or a X800 XT, so I need to decide between these 2 only).
Thanks

sirak

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2003
Make up your mind yourself by checking out this Anandtech article reviewing all the top cards. It'll give you an idea of what games which card runs best, etsc.

<A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/video/showdoc.aspx?i=2113" target="_new">http://www.anandtech.com/video/showdoc.aspx?i=2113</A>

----------------------
PIV 2.4c @ 3.12ghz
1gig PC3200 (512mbx2)
ASUS P4P800
GF3 Ti200 64mb (soon to be replaced)
WinXP Pro
3DMark2001SE: 6453
3DMark2003: 746

scottchen

Splendid
Jun 3, 2003
I'd go with the 6800GT IF I COULD BUY IT!! Thx a lot for the backorder Nvidia's partners.

<A HREF="http://www.ebaumsworld.com/celebgay.html" target="_new">click here now!!</A>

<A HREF="http://www.ebaumsworld.com/epilepsyr.shtml" target="_new">DON'T CLICK HERE!!</A>

The thing about that Anand review is that the $ figures for the cards was F'ed up when they reviewed it so the $/fps meter is screwy. However the individual game tests are in line with most others and so it really comes down to what most people can do on their own. What games do I play, how does it play them, what's the price I can actually pick one up for?

- You need a licence to buy a gun, but they'll sell anyone a stamp <i>(or internet account)</i> ! - <font color=green>RED </font color=green> <font color=red> GREEN</font color=red> GA to SK :evil:

What a pain in the butt when you can't find new vid cards. I'm going to Best Buy again today to see if they have X800Pro besides box to pre order. Maybe they will have 6800GT. Will not hold my breath on that.

ComradeMishkin

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2003
I am about to buy one of them too, I just wonder what sort of PSU does Nvidia 6800GT need, is it the same as 6800Ultra? I only have 400watt PSU so if I need a more powerfull one then I'll get X800 Pro.

ltj311

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2002
I've heard the 6800ultra is the only card that needs the extra juice. If you get the 6800gt, your 400w will be plenty.

--

"I'm a rageaholic."
(<i>starts crying</i>)
"I just can't live without rageahol." - Homer Simpson

AJB

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2004
Hi Hardware
Could you tell me why do you prefer the X800 PRO instead of the 6800GT although the most recent tests shows some advantage to the nVidia card?
Thanks

coolsquirtle

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2003
cause he's a fanATic ;)

COME ON COME ON U KNOW I'M KIDDING

get a 6800GT :p

RIP Block Heater....HELLO P4~~~~~
120% nVidia Fanboy+119% Money Fanboy
GeForce 6800 Ultra--> The Way we thought FX 5800Ultra is meant to be played
THGC's resident Asian and nVboy :D

pitsi

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2003
I can't see the reasoning behind suggesting X800 Pro over the 6800 GT either (and believe me, this is an honest post, not meaning to start a flame war or anything). Even if we suppose that both cards perform the same (although I believe the GT is a little faster from the reviews I've seen), there is still a difference between the two regarding SM. Power consumption is the same, they are both one-slot, and they are both the same price. So why not get the GT? It's not like he will be replacing his card in 8-12 months, in which case someone could argue that he does not need SM 3.0. Basically my point is that I don't see a single argument that could make me choose the X800 Pro over the 6800 GT, in case I decide to replace my 9500 Pro.

Spitfire_x86

Splendid
Jun 26, 2002
My vote goes for 6800GT

------------
<A HREF="http://geocities.com/spitfire_x86" target="_new">My Website</A>

<A HREF="http://geocities.com/spitfire_x86/myrig.html" target="_new">My Rig</A> & <A HREF="http://geocities.com/spitfire_x86/benchmark.html" target="_new">3DMark score</A>

SM3.0 eh? Offer a BIG boost Eh? Sure, based on what evidence so far? It offered a nice boost in FarCry, but the Patch offered more. Why not be concerned about 3Dc? Oh my that will revolutionize the gaming world.... it's all hype from both sides. Why not worry about HD support which you can use now except not on the GF6800 (oh don't have an HDTV, well won't we all later, don't you want to buy a card for it now?)?

Seriously the reason to get the GT are their respective price/performance levels. If you don't tweak, or only like to move sliders, then the 6800GT will likely give you the most bang for your buck 6 times out of 10. However if you are into modding then the X800Pro may offer you the fastest card out there once you're done, ala SpeedUK, and it's no longer just a hard mod.

As for the prices being the same, no they aren't. Theoretically they are supposed to be the same, but the street prices and actual availability favour the pro. Both have their advantages and really you have to look at the games you like to plan and the type of engine you plan on playing later to know what suits your needs. Anyone can point to a single benchmark by a site that favours one particular company, but once you look at the bigger picutre you see alot more there. I'd give the GT a slight edge, but it's not monumental, and the predictions about SM3.0 being the killer app haven't materialized, heck there isn't even a great DEMO showing this. FarCry has SM3.0, and it's a PERFORMANCE patch of SM3.0, and still the impact was mild compared to the competition. And since the support is limited right now, and any current comparison cripples the ATIs, I wouldn't be so quick to tout SM3.0. Sure it has potential, and the next FarCry patch is supposed to bring some visual improvements, but since neither D]|[ nor HL2 offer that striking a difference (heck from the early review of D3 having a 512mb card would make more difference and allow Ultra-High settings, but I still don't want an FX5200SE-512mb card! :lol: ). The engines actually built around SM3.0 aren't going to appear for quite some time, by which time you would've been better served with an R9800Pro, followed by using your saved funds to buy the next gen card THEN when those games hit shelves.

For most people the GT is a good choice, but the two cards are close enough that I wouldn't pay the hefty premium often seen with the rarity of some of these cards. The people who snagg deals online are the ones who are truely getting the advantage, those paying extra are simply doing just that.

- You need a licence to buy a gun, but they'll sell anyone a stamp <i>(or internet account)</i> ! - <font color=green>RED </font color=green> <font color=red> GREEN</font color=red> GA to SK :evil:

sweatlaserxp

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2003
Yes, if I remember correctly, in most of the demos there was an extremely small improvement in FPS, only in the demos supplied by nVidia was there a barely substantial increase in performance. I doubt that many games will be getting the SM3.0 treatment through a patch, CryTek and nVidia are probably just feeling each other up. Look at the graphics in Doom 3, and yet it was written in OpenGL 1.4. If developers actually end up using 3Dc, then it's going to be the same as it ever was: ATi has better image quality and doesn't suffer as much when doing AA/AF (which, by the way, everyone uses), and nVidia has higher computational power and is faster when filtering is turned off. ATi's OpenGL performance is rapidly catching up to nVidia. Next-gen feature support is nice, but let's wait and see how much SM3.0 is really used before we put in our pre-orders for NV50 and R500.

Jordao

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2004
You got my point... I am not really worried about FPS. If I was, my GF4 Ti 4400 would be good, cause it gives me about 60 FPS 1152x864 in Nascar 2003 and it is good for me. But... when I increase resolution and turn on the VS and AA filters I must decrease resolution to keep my FPS... I want to play in the same 60 FPS (minimum) with the higher resolution (at least 1200).

Thanks for explaning all that to him. You do a better job at that than I do. That's why I said the deal Best Buy had at $299 US was a great deal. I've seen them 6800GT priced higher than X800XT. You have to shop around for the best deal. As you mentioned in your reply.

dthayer

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2004
Maybe I'm not looking in the right places but I don't think I've ever seen an X800 Pro for much less than a 6800 GT. Not any less than 20 bucks, and that's only with certain manufacturers. I've never seen an X800 pro for $400 either.

Availability, sure the X800 pro is at more stores, but I really don't see prices being any lower than a GT.

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by dthayer on 07/15/04 03:49 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

I've never seen an X800 pro for $400 either.
That alone would be enough for me to question relying on your experiences.

ATI sells the X800PRo for <b>less</b> than $400 on <A HREF="http://www.ati.com/buy/pricespcusa.html" target="_new">their website</A>.

And right now there are e-tailers that sell them well below that.

It's also interesting that most of the 'cheap' GTs aren't actually in stock they just have ETA (to entice people who wouldn't be caught dead pre-ordering?).

dthayer

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2004
Well that's surprising considering New Egg, Buy.com, Gogocity, Mwave, and a slew of other retailers don't have them for under 400, but you're right, there are a few out there that do.

So I guess the real question is, should we really buy cards now or should we wait until the next generation, when everything is supposed to change, yet again...

TRENDING THREADS