Problem with Task manager

When I try to open the task manager by pressing ctrl- Alt- Del I get a
message that Task manager has been disabled by an Admin9strator. I am using
Windows XP SP2 Home Edition and was work fine until I installed a few games.
System Restore was disabled so I have no checkpoints prior to the
installation of games.

Is ther any way of re-enabling the task manager?

Thanks in Advance
11 answers Last reply
More about problem task manager

    "DFontana" <DFontana@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > When I try to open the task manager by pressing ctrl- Alt- Del I get a
    > message that Task manager has been disabled by an Admin9strator. I am
    > using
    > Windows XP SP2 Home Edition and was work fine until I installed a few
    > games.
    > System Restore was disabled so I have no checkpoints prior to the
    > installation of games.
    >
    > Is ther any way of re-enabling the task manager?

    Hi,

    Scan your system for malware and other parasites. Here are some free
    programs.

    Adaware SE
    http://www.lavasoftusa.com/support/download

    Spybot - search and destroy

    Trend Micro's Housecall
    http://housecall.trendmicro.com/

    Once your system is cleaned and free of parasites, open the registry
    (Start>Run and type regedit).

    Navigate to the following sub key:
    HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System
    In the right-hand pane, locate "DisableTaskMgr" and modify the value to
    0.

    And Navigate to this following sub key:
    HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System
    In the right-hand pane, locate "DisableTaskMgr", if present, and modify
    the value to
    0.

    --
    William

    "cornsilk1960" <cornsilk1960@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

    > "WTC" wrote:
    >
    >> "DFontana" <DFontana@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> > When I try to open the task manager by pressing ctrl- Alt- Del I
    >> > get a
    >> > message that Task manager has been disabled by an Admin9strator. I
    >> > am
    >> > using
    >> > Windows XP SP2 Home Edition and was work fine until I installed a
    >> > few
    >> > games.
    >> > System Restore was disabled so I have no checkpoints prior to the
    >> > installation of games.
    >> >
    >> > Is ther any way of re-enabling the task manager?
    >> >

    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> Scan your system for malware and other parasites. Here are some free
    >> programs.
    >>
    >> Adaware SE
    >> http://www.lavasoftusa.com/support/download
    >>
    >> Spybot - search and destroy
    >> http://www.safer-networking.org/en/download/index.html
    >>
    >> Trend Micro's Housecall
    >> http://housecall.trendmicro.com/
    >>
    >> Once your system is cleaned and free of parasites, open the registry
    >> (Start>Run and type regedit).
    >>
    >> Navigate to the following sub key:
    >> HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System
    >> In the right-hand pane, locate "DisableTaskMgr" and modify the value
    >> 0.
    >>
    >> And Navigate to this following sub key:
    >> HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System
    >> In the right-hand pane, locate "DisableTaskMgr", if present, and
    >> modify
    >> the value to
    >> 0.
    >>

    >> I am also having the same problem. I tried to do what you said but
    >> it told me that my registry editor has been disabled also. Can you
    >> help with that?

    Go to your Start>Run and type the following exactly between and without
    the Quotes ("")

    "REG ADD HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System
    /v DisableRegistryTools /t REG_DWORD /d 0 /f"

    --
    William

    That didn't help, do I need to restart or something? It flashed a little,
    but that was all.

    > "WTC" wrote:
    >
    >> "cornsilk1960" <cornsilk1960@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
    >> message

    >> Go to your Start>Run and type the following exactly between and
    >> without
    >> the Quotes ("")
    >>
    >> "REG ADD
    >> HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System
    >> /v DisableRegistryTools /t REG_DWORD /d 0 /f"
    >>

    > That didn't help, do I need to restart or something? It flashed a
    > little,
    > but that was all.

    Sorry, try this, Start>Run and type

    cmd

    then type without the quotes ("")

    "REG ADD HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System
    /v DisableRegistryTools /t REG_DWORD /d 0"

    --
    William

    Sounds like Elipter or similar virus. If you can't run any of the online
    virus tools then you might try this tool from Panda that might enable
    regedit again:

    http://www.pandasoftware.com/virus_info/encyclopedia/overview.aspx?lst=sol&idvirus=63146

    "WTC" <bcrawfordjr(remove)@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > "DFontana" <DFontana@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > When I try to open the task manager by pressing ctrl- Alt- Del I get a
    > > message that Task manager has been disabled by an Admin9strator. I am
    > > using
    > > Windows XP SP2 Home Edition and was work fine until I installed a few
    > > games.
    > > System Restore was disabled so I have no checkpoints prior to the
    > > installation of games.
    > >
    > > Is ther any way of re-enabling the task manager?
    > >

    > Hi,
    >
    > Scan your system for malware and other parasites. Here are some free
    > programs.
    >
    > Adaware SE
    > http://www.lavasoftusa.com/support/download
    >
    > Spybot - search and destroy
    > http://www.safer-networking.org/en/download/index.html
    >
    > Trend Micro's Housecall
    > http://housecall.trendmicro.com/
    >
    > Once your system is cleaned and free of parasites, open the registry
    > (Start>Run and type regedit).
    >
    > Navigate to the following sub key:
    > HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System
    > In the right-hand pane, locate "DisableTaskMgr" and modify the value to
    > 0.
    >
    > And Navigate to this following sub key:
    > HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System
    > In the right-hand pane, locate "DisableTaskMgr", if present, and modify
    > the value to
    > 0.
    >
    > --
    > William

    Task Manager has been disabled by your administrator:
    http://windowsxp.mvps.org/taskmanager_error.htm

    This is usually caused by malware / viruses. Try Trend Micro's Sysclean
    package (free), it's capable of eliminating keyloggers, trojans etc. Full
    instructions at:

    Generic Trojan / Adware Infestation Removal Procedure:

    Trend Micro Sysclean package
    http://aumha.net/viewtopic.php?t=10820

    The Parasite Fight - Quick Fix Protocol:
    http://aumha.org/a/quickfix.php

    --
    Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
    Windows XP Shell/User

    "DFontana" <DFontana@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > When I try to open the task manager by pressing ctrl- Alt- Del I get a
    > message that Task manager has been disabled by an Admin9strator. I am
    > using
    > Windows XP SP2 Home Edition and was work fine until I installed a few
    > games.
    > System Restore was disabled so I have no checkpoints prior to the
    > installation of games.
    >
    > Is ther any way of re-enabling the task manager?
    >
    > Thanks in Advance

    Ramesh,

    Thanks for the advice, it did not appear to be a virus or anything like
    that. I had to recreate my profile in XP to fix the problem. ANy ideas what
    happened? I only know that the profile became locked and I am assuming the
    task manager and according to one of the above posts the registry as well.

    Dominic

    "Ramesh, MS-MVP" wrote:

    > Task Manager has been disabled by your administrator:
    > http://windowsxp.mvps.org/taskmanager_error.htm
    >
    > This is usually caused by malware / viruses. Try Trend Micro's Sysclean
    > package (free), it's capable of eliminating keyloggers, trojans etc. Full
    > instructions at:
    >
    > Generic Trojan / Adware Infestation Removal Procedure:
    >
    > Trend Micro Sysclean package
    > http://aumha.net/viewtopic.php?t=10820
    >
    > The Parasite Fight - Quick Fix Protocol:
    > http://aumha.org/a/quickfix.php
    >
    > --
    > Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
    > Windows XP Shell/User
    > http://windowsxp.mvps.org
    >

    > "DFontana" <DFontana@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > When I try to open the task manager by pressing ctrl- Alt- Del I get a
    > > message that Task manager has been disabled by an Admin9strator. I am
    > > using
    > > Windows XP SP2 Home Edition and was work fine until I installed a few
    > > games.
    > > System Restore was disabled so I have no checkpoints prior to the
    > > installation of games.
    > >
    > > Is ther any way of re-enabling the task manager?
    > >
    > > Thanks in Advance

    Dominic,

    This is a per-user policy, and many viruses target these three utilities
    (msconfig, task manager, and regedit.exe). If that's not the case, it may be
    caused by accidental changes made in GPEDIT.MSC tool. (only for XP Pro)

    --
    Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
    Windows XP Shell/User

    DFontana Wrote:
    > When I try to open the task manager by pressing ctrl- Alt- Del I get a
    > message that Task manager has been disabled by an Admin9strator. I am
    > using
    > Windows XP SP2 Home Edition and was work fine until I installed a few
    > games.
    > System Restore was disabled so I have no checkpoints prior to the
    > installation of games.
    >
    > Is ther any way of re-enabling the task manager?
    >
    > Thanks in Advance

    I'm having the same problem. my system resortore is disabled as well.
    I'm going to try reenabling that to see if that helps, although I'm
    pretty sure my task manager was working after I disabled system restore
    (I think to install something).

    --
    uctalum01

    This is usually caused by malware / viruses. Try Trend Micro's Sysclean
    package (free), it's capable of eliminating keyloggers, trojans etc. Full
    instructions at:

    Generic Trojan / Adware Infestation Removal Procedure:

    Trend Micro Sysclean package
    http://aumha.net/viewtopic.php?t=10820

    AVG Anti-Virus: (freeware)
    http://www.grisoft.com/us/us_index.php

    --
    Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
    Windows XP Shell/User

    "uctalum01" <uctalum01.1pk7rf@pcbanter.net> wrote in message

    > DFontana Wrote:
    >> When I try to open the task manager by pressing ctrl- Alt- Del I get a
    >> message that Task manager has been disabled by an Admin9strator. I am
    >> using
    >> Windows XP SP2 Home Edition and was work fine until I installed a few
    >> games.
    >> System Restore was disabled so I have no checkpoints prior to the
    >> installation of games.
    >>
    >> Is ther any way of re-enabling the task manager?
    >>
    >> Thanks in Advance
    >
    > I'm having the same problem. my system resortore is disabled as well.
    > I'm going to try reenabling that to see if that helps, although I'm
    > pretty sure my task manager was working after I disabled system restore
    > (I think to install something).
    >

    > --
    > uctalum01

Games Microsoft Task Manager Windows XP