Problem with Task manager

May 4, 2005 7:21:04 PM

When I try to open the task manager by pressing ctrl- Alt- Del I get a
message that Task manager has been disabled by an Admin9strator. I am using
Windows XP SP2 Home Edition and was work fine until I installed a few games.
System Restore was disabled so I have no checkpoints prior to the
installation of games.

Is ther any way of re-enabling the task manager?

Thanks in Advance

More about : problem task manager

Anonymous
May 4, 2005 9:35:30 PM

"DFontana" <DFontana@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> When I try to open the task manager by pressing ctrl- Alt- Del I get a
> message that Task manager has been disabled by an Admin9strator. I am
> using
> Windows XP SP2 Home Edition and was work fine until I installed a few
> games.
> System Restore was disabled so I have no checkpoints prior to the
> installation of games.
>
> Is ther any way of re-enabling the task manager?

Hi,

Scan your system for malware and other parasites. Here are some free
programs.

Adaware SE
http://www.lavasoftusa.com/support/download

Spybot - search and destroy

Trend Micro's Housecall
http://housecall.trendmicro.com/

Once your system is cleaned and free of parasites, open the registry
(Start>Run and type regedit).

Navigate to the following sub key:
HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System
In the right-hand pane, locate "DisableTaskMgr" and modify the value to
0.

And Navigate to this following sub key:
HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System
In the right-hand pane, locate "DisableTaskMgr", if present, and modify
the value to
0.

--
William
Anonymous

"WTC" wrote:

> "DFontana" <DFontana@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > When I try to open the task manager by pressing ctrl- Alt- Del I get a
> > message that Task manager has been disabled by an Admin9strator. I am
> > using
> > Windows XP SP2 Home Edition and was work fine until I installed a few
> > games.
> > System Restore was disabled so I have no checkpoints prior to the
> > installation of games.
> >
> > Is ther any way of re-enabling the task manager?
> >

> Hi,
>
> Scan your system for malware and other parasites. Here are some free
> programs.
>
> Adaware SE
> http://www.lavasoftusa.com/support/download
>
> Spybot - search and destroy
> http://www.safer-networking.org/en/download/index.html
>
> Trend Micro's Housecall
> http://housecall.trendmicro.com/
>
> Once your system is cleaned and free of parasites, open the registry
> (Start>Run and type regedit).
>
> Navigate to the following sub key:
> HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System
> In the right-hand pane, locate "DisableTaskMgr" and modify the value to
> 0.
>
> And Navigate to this following sub key:
> HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System
> In the right-hand pane, locate "DisableTaskMgr", if present, and modify
> the value to
> 0.
>
> --
> William
>
> I am also having the same problem. I tried to do what you said but it told me that my registry editor has been disabled also. Can you help with that?

May 5, 2005 12:26:04 AM

"cornsilk1960" <cornsilk1960@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

> "WTC" wrote:
>
>> "DFontana" <DFontana@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > When I try to open the task manager by pressing ctrl- Alt- Del I
>> > get a
>> > message that Task manager has been disabled by an Admin9strator. I
>> > am
>> > using
>> > Windows XP SP2 Home Edition and was work fine until I installed a
>> > few
>> > games.
>> > System Restore was disabled so I have no checkpoints prior to the
>> > installation of games.
>> >
>> > Is ther any way of re-enabling the task manager?
>> >

>> Hi,
>>
>> Scan your system for malware and other parasites. Here are some free
>> programs.
>>
>> Adaware SE
>> http://www.lavasoftusa.com/support/download
>>
>> Spybot - search and destroy
>> http://www.safer-networking.org/en/download/index.html
>>
>> Trend Micro's Housecall
>> http://housecall.trendmicro.com/
>>
>> Once your system is cleaned and free of parasites, open the registry
>> (Start>Run and type regedit).
>>
>> Navigate to the following sub key:
>> HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System
>> In the right-hand pane, locate "DisableTaskMgr" and modify the value
>> 0.
>>
>> And Navigate to this following sub key:
>> HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System
>> In the right-hand pane, locate "DisableTaskMgr", if present, and
>> modify
>> the value to
>> 0.
>>

>> I am also having the same problem. I tried to do what you said but
>> it told me that my registry editor has been disabled also. Can you
>> help with that?

Go to your Start>Run and type the following exactly between and without
the Quotes ("")

"REG ADD HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System
/v DisableRegistryTools /t REG_DWORD /d 0 /f"

--
William
Anonymous

That didn't help, do I need to restart or something? It flashed a little,
but that was all.

"WTC" wrote:

> "cornsilk1960" <cornsilk1960@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >

> > "WTC" wrote:
> >
> >> "DFontana" <DFontana@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> Scan your system for malware and other parasites. Here are some free
> >> programs.
> >>
> >> Adaware SE
> >> http://www.lavasoftusa.com/support/download
> >>
> >> Spybot - search and destroy
> >> http://www.safer-networking.org/en/download/index.html
> >>
> >> Trend Micro's Housecall
> >> http://housecall.trendmicro.com/
> >>
> >> Once your system is cleaned and free of parasites, open the registry
> >> (Start>Run and type regedit).
> >>
> >> Navigate to the following sub key:
> >> HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System
> >> In the right-hand pane, locate "DisableTaskMgr" and modify the value
> >> 0.
> >>
> >> And Navigate to this following sub key:
> >> HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System
> >> In the right-hand pane, locate "DisableTaskMgr", if present, and
> >> modify
> >> the value to
> >> 0.
> >>

> >> I am also having the same problem. I tried to do what you said but
> >> it told me that my registry editor has been disabled also. Can you
> >> help with that?
> >

> Go to your Start>Run and type the following exactly between and without
> the Quotes ("")
>
> "REG ADD HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System
> /v DisableRegistryTools /t REG_DWORD /d 0 /f"
>
> --
> William

Anonymous
May 5, 2005 1:09:59 AM

> "WTC" wrote:
>
>> "cornsilk1960" <cornsilk1960@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
>> message

>> Go to your Start>Run and type the following exactly between and
>> without
>> the Quotes ("")
>>
>> "REG ADD
>> HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System
>> /v DisableRegistryTools /t REG_DWORD /d 0 /f"
>>

> That didn't help, do I need to restart or something? It flashed a
> little,
> but that was all.

Sorry, try this, Start>Run and type

cmd

then type without the quotes ("")

"REG ADD HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System
/v DisableRegistryTools /t REG_DWORD /d 0"

--
William
Anonymous
May 5, 2005 3:25:44 AM

Sounds like Elipter or similar virus. If you can't run any of the online
virus tools then you might try this tool from Panda that might enable
regedit again:

http://www.pandasoftware.com/virus_info/encyclopedia/ov...

"WTC" <bcrawfordjr(remove)@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> "DFontana" <DFontana@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > When I try to open the task manager by pressing ctrl- Alt- Del I get a
> > message that Task manager has been disabled by an Admin9strator. I am
> > using
> > Windows XP SP2 Home Edition and was work fine until I installed a few
> > games.
> > System Restore was disabled so I have no checkpoints prior to the
> > installation of games.
> >
> > Is ther any way of re-enabling the task manager?
> >

> Hi,
>
> Scan your system for malware and other parasites. Here are some free
> programs.
>
> Adaware SE
> http://www.lavasoftusa.com/support/download
>
> Spybot - search and destroy
> http://www.safer-networking.org/en/download/index.html
>
> Trend Micro's Housecall
> http://housecall.trendmicro.com/
>
> Once your system is cleaned and free of parasites, open the registry
> (Start>Run and type regedit).
>
> Navigate to the following sub key:
> HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System
> In the right-hand pane, locate "DisableTaskMgr" and modify the value to
> 0.
>
> And Navigate to this following sub key:
> HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System
> In the right-hand pane, locate "DisableTaskMgr", if present, and modify
> the value to
> 0.
>
> --
> William

Anonymous
May 5, 2005 9:26:45 PM

Task Manager has been disabled by your administrator:
http://windowsxp.mvps.org/taskmanager_error.htm

This is usually caused by malware / viruses. Try Trend Micro's Sysclean
package (free), it's capable of eliminating keyloggers, trojans etc. Full
instructions at:

Generic Trojan / Adware Infestation Removal Procedure:

Trend Micro Sysclean package
http://aumha.net/viewtopic.php?t=10820

The Parasite Fight - Quick Fix Protocol:
http://aumha.org/a/quickfix.php

--
Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
Windows XP Shell/User

"DFontana" <DFontana@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> When I try to open the task manager by pressing ctrl- Alt- Del I get a
> message that Task manager has been disabled by an Admin9strator. I am
> using
> Windows XP SP2 Home Edition and was work fine until I installed a few
> games.
> System Restore was disabled so I have no checkpoints prior to the
> installation of games.
>
> Is ther any way of re-enabling the task manager?
>
> Thanks in Advance
Anonymous
May 7, 2005 10:11:02 AM

Ramesh,

Thanks for the advice, it did not appear to be a virus or anything like
that. I had to recreate my profile in XP to fix the problem. ANy ideas what
happened? I only know that the profile became locked and I am assuming the
task manager and according to one of the above posts the registry as well.

Dominic

"Ramesh, MS-MVP" wrote:

> Task Manager has been disabled by your administrator:
> http://windowsxp.mvps.org/taskmanager_error.htm
>
> This is usually caused by malware / viruses. Try Trend Micro's Sysclean
> package (free), it's capable of eliminating keyloggers, trojans etc. Full
> instructions at:
>
> Generic Trojan / Adware Infestation Removal Procedure:
>
> Trend Micro Sysclean package
> http://aumha.net/viewtopic.php?t=10820
>
> The Parasite Fight - Quick Fix Protocol:
> http://aumha.org/a/quickfix.php
>
> --
> Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
> Windows XP Shell/User
> http://windowsxp.mvps.org
>

> "DFontana" <DFontana@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > When I try to open the task manager by pressing ctrl- Alt- Del I get a
> > message that Task manager has been disabled by an Admin9strator. I am
> > using
> > Windows XP SP2 Home Edition and was work fine until I installed a few
> > games.
> > System Restore was disabled so I have no checkpoints prior to the
> > installation of games.
> >
> > Is ther any way of re-enabling the task manager?
> >
> > Thanks in Advance

Anonymous
May 7, 2005 11:23:51 PM

Dominic,

This is a per-user policy, and many viruses target these three utilities
(msconfig, task manager, and regedit.exe). If that's not the case, it may be
caused by accidental changes made in GPEDIT.MSC tool. (only for XP Pro)

--
Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
Windows XP Shell/User

> Ramesh,
>
> Thanks for the advice, it did not appear to be a virus or anything like
> that. I had to recreate my profile in XP to fix the problem. ANy ideas
> what
> happened? I only know that the profile became locked and I am assuming the
> task manager and according to one of the above posts the registry as well.
>
> Dominic
>
> "Ramesh, MS-MVP" wrote:
>
>> Task Manager has been disabled by your administrator:
>> http://windowsxp.mvps.org/taskmanager_error.htm
>>
>> This is usually caused by malware / viruses. Try Trend Micro's Sysclean
>> package (free), it's capable of eliminating keyloggers, trojans etc. Full
>> instructions at:
>>
>> Generic Trojan / Adware Infestation Removal Procedure:
>> http://www.claymania.com/removal-trojan-adware.html
>>
>> Trend Micro Sysclean package
>> http://aumha.net/viewtopic.php?t=10820
>>
>> The Parasite Fight - Quick Fix Protocol:
>> http://aumha.org/a/quickfix.php
>>
>> --
>> Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
>> Windows XP Shell/User
>> http://windowsxp.mvps.org
>>

>> "DFontana" <DFontana@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > When I try to open the task manager by pressing ctrl- Alt- Del I get a
>> > message that Task manager has been disabled by an Admin9strator. I am
>> > using
>> > Windows XP SP2 Home Edition and was work fine until I installed a few
>> > games.
>> > System Restore was disabled so I have no checkpoints prior to the
>> > installation of games.
>> >
>> > Is ther any way of re-enabling the task manager?
>> >
>> > Thanks in Advance

Anonymous
May 16, 2005 8:14:43 AM

DFontana Wrote:
> When I try to open the task manager by pressing ctrl- Alt- Del I get a
> message that Task manager has been disabled by an Admin9strator. I am
> using
> Windows XP SP2 Home Edition and was work fine until I installed a few
> games.
> System Restore was disabled so I have no checkpoints prior to the
> installation of games.
>
> Is ther any way of re-enabling the task manager?
>
> Thanks in Advance

I'm having the same problem. my system resortore is disabled as well.
I'm going to try reenabling that to see if that helps, although I'm
pretty sure my task manager was working after I disabled system restore
(I think to install something).

--
uctalum01
Anonymous

This is usually caused by malware / viruses. Try Trend Micro's Sysclean
package (free), it's capable of eliminating keyloggers, trojans etc. Full
instructions at:

Generic Trojan / Adware Infestation Removal Procedure:

Trend Micro Sysclean package
http://aumha.net/viewtopic.php?t=10820

AVG Anti-Virus: (freeware)
http://www.grisoft.com/us/us_index.php