Sluggish notebook performance

Archived from groups: 24hoursupport.helpdesk,alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

My Dell 1100 Inspiring notebook's performance got real sluggish in the last
week or two. It had been rocking along and doing well running WIN XP, SP2
with 256 mg of memory and the hard drive only about 40% full.

Up to date virus and spy scans remain negative, device manager is all
negative, disk is not fragmented and registry repair programs say no
problems there.

Any ideas?

Ike
12 answers Last reply
More about sluggish notebook performance
  1. Archived from groups: 24hoursupport.helpdesk,alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

    "Ira Hayes" <indianNOSPAM@XXXhotmail.com> wrote:
    >My Dell 1100 Inspiring notebook's performance got real sluggish in the last
    >week or two. It had been rocking along and doing well running WIN XP, SP2
    >with 256 mg of memory and the hard drive only about 40% full.

    Check your startup stuff (I prefer Startup Monitor by Mike Lin) and
    weed out anything you don't absolutely need. 256M can be a little low
    if you've got a lot of stuff running (full Security Suite instead of
    just a virus scanner, etc).

    Also, be aware that the virus scanners and adware scanners, by their
    very nature, can be significantly behind the curve on finding
    malware... Check the task manager to see if anything's running that
    looks suspicious (google for task names).
  2. Archived from groups: 24hoursupport.helpdesk,alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

    If your computer is clean from any nasty Trojans, and Spywares, then you
    should be looking at cleaning up the cache files for both the system, and
    for Explorer. If there are any that are corrupt, or there are just too many
    of them, your machine will certainly slow down.

    Go to the properties of your main hard disk, and select Disk Cleanup. After
    selecting this utility, it will take some time to do its calculations. After
    it is finished, put a chec mark on the Windows TMP, and the internet TMP
    file prompt. Click on OK, and let it do its work.

    After this is finished, re-set the machine, and do a defragmentation. This
    should get things back again. If not, then there are some serious problems
    that you will have to find. This is another issue, and can be time
    consuming.

    --

    Jerry G.
    ======

    "Ira Hayes" <indianNOSPAM@XXXhotmail.com> wrote in message
    My Dell 1100 Inspiring notebook's performance got real sluggish in the last
    week or two. It had been rocking along and doing well running WIN XP, SP2
    with 256 mg of memory and the hard drive only about 40% full.

    Up to date virus and spy scans remain negative, device manager is all
    negative, disk is not fragmented and registry repair programs say no
    problems there.

    Any ideas?

    Ike
  3. Archived from groups: 24hoursupport.helpdesk,alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

    "Ira Hayes" <indianNOSPAM@XXXhotmail.com> wrote in message
    > My Dell 1100 Inspiring notebook's performance got real sluggish in the
    > last week or two. It had been rocking along and doing well running WIN XP,
    > SP2 with 256 mg of memory and the hard drive only about 40% full.
    >
    > Up to date virus and spy scans remain negative, device manager is all
    > negative, disk is not fragmented and registry repair programs say no
    > problems there.
    >
    > Any ideas?
    >
    > Ike

    That would of course be a Dell Inspiron...

    Ike
  4. Archived from groups: 24hoursupport.helpdesk,alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

    Ira Hayes wrote:

    > "Ira Hayes" <indianNOSPAM@XXXhotmail.com> wrote in message
    > > My Dell 1100 Inspiring notebook's performance got real sluggish in the
    > > last week or two. It had been rocking along and doing well running WIN XP,
    > > SP2 with 256 mg of memory and the hard drive only about 40% full.
    > >
    > > Up to date virus and spy scans remain negative, device manager is all
    > > negative, disk is not fragmented and registry repair programs say no
    > > problems there.
    > >
    > > Any ideas?
    > >
    > > Ike
    >
    > That would of course be a Dell Inspiron...

    I kinda laughed at "Inspiring!" <g>

    Have you added any programs, recently?

    Notan
  5. Archived from groups: 24hoursupport.helpdesk,alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

    > Ira Hayes wrote:
    >>
    >> "Ira Hayes" <indianNOSPAM@XXXhotmail.com> wrote in message
    >> > My Dell 1100 Inspiring notebook's performance got real sluggish in the
    >> > last week or two. It had been rocking along and doing well running WIN
    >> > XP,
    >> > SP2 with 256 mg of memory and the hard drive only about 40% full.
    >> >
    >> > Up to date virus and spy scans remain negative, device manager is all
    >> > negative, disk is not fragmented and registry repair programs say no
    >> > problems there.
    >> >
    >> > Any ideas?
    >> >
    >> > Ike
    >>
    >> That would of course be a Dell Inspiron...
    >
    > I kinda laughed at "Inspiring!" <g>
    >
    > Have you added any programs, recently?
    >
    > Notan

    Adobe Photoshop Elements 2-- but I think the slowdown started before that...

    Ike
  6. Archived from groups: 24hoursupport.helpdesk,alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

    Ira Hayes wrote:

    > "Notan" <notan@ddress.com> wrote in message
    > > Ira Hayes wrote:
    > >>
    > >> "Ira Hayes" <indianNOSPAM@XXXhotmail.com> wrote in message

    > >> That would of course be a Dell Inspiron...
    > >
    > > I kinda laughed at "Inspiring!" <g>
    > >
    > > Have you added any programs, recently?
    > >
    > > Notan
    >
    > Adobe Photoshop Elements 2-- but I think the slowdown started before that...

    Download a program, such as CodeStuff Starter (http://codestuff.mirrorz.com),
    and take a look if there are any unwanted programs being loaded at startup.

    Disable them, temporarily, and see if that helps.

    Notan:
  7. Archived from groups: 24hoursupport.helpdesk,alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

    clear out History and then defrag.........
  8. Archived from groups: 24hoursupport.helpdesk,alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

    download ccleaner and then defrag

    > "Ira Hayes" <indianNOSPAM@XXXhotmail.com> wrote in message
    >> My Dell 1100 Inspiring notebook's performance got real sluggish in the
    >> last week or two. It had been rocking along and doing well running WIN
    >> XP, SP2 with 256 mg of memory and the hard drive only about 40% full.
    >>
    >> Up to date virus and spy scans remain negative, device manager is all
    >> negative, disk is not fragmented and registry repair programs say no
    >> problems there.
    >>
    >> Any ideas?
    >>
    >> Ike
    >
    > That would of course be a Dell Inspiron...
    >
    > Ike

  9. Archived from groups: 24hoursupport.helpdesk,alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

    Start here:

    Jupiter Jones
    http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/

    "Ira Hayes" <indianNOSPAM@XXXhotmail.com> wrote in message
    > My Dell 1100 Inspiring notebook's performance got real sluggish in the
    > last week or two. It had been rocking along and doing well running WIN XP,
    > SP2 with 256 mg of memory and the hard drive only about 40% full.
    >
    > Up to date virus and spy scans remain negative, device manager is all
    > negative, disk is not fragmented and registry repair programs say no
    > problems there.
    >
    > Any ideas?
    >
    > Ike

  10. Archived from groups: 24hoursupport.helpdesk,alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

    "Ira Hayes" <indianNOSPAM@XXXhotmail.com> wrote in message
    > My Dell 1100 Inspiring notebook's performance got real sluggish in the
    > last week or two. It had been rocking along and doing well running WIN XP,
    > SP2 with 256 mg of memory and the hard drive only about 40% full.
    >
    > Up to date virus and spy scans remain negative, device manager is all
    > negative, disk is not fragmented and registry repair programs say no
    > problems there.
    >
    > Any ideas?
    >
    > Ike

    Thanks for all the suggestions. I'll work down the list!

    Ike
  11. Archived from groups: 24hoursupport.helpdesk,alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

    Ira Hayes wrote:

    > My Dell 1100 Inspiring notebook's performance got real sluggish in the last

    Then I guess it's not all that inspiring, after all.

    --
    Blinky Linux Registered User 297263
    Who has implemented Usenet Solution #45933:

    >Adobe Photoshop Elements 2-- but I think the slowdown started before that...
    >
    >Ike

    I would uninstall Photoshop Elements, do a system restore prior to
    that install, and see what your performance is like.

    Then, reinstall Photoshop Elements, and see what happens.

    If you haven't done other installs since your Photoshop Elements
    install, doing the system restore point is easy and not very time
    consuming.

    Kevin

Dell Performance Notebooks Computers