Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Laptop Cooling Pad

Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
July 23, 2012 1:22:45 AM

My laptop has been overheating and effecting my game play on various games. I really need to purchase a nice laptop cooling pad.

I don't really know too much about them but I'm pretty sure this one would work. Could you all verify this for me?

Here are my laptops dimensions: 16.14"x11.77"x1.75".
Type: Asus Notebook G72GX Series

I am looking at this one: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003ZUXXWO/ref=s9_simh_gw_p147_d0_g147_i1?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0D ER&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_r=1TSN1R5CBSGD7ZY26FV6&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p =470938631&pf_rd_i=507846

Is this a good buy for what I need?

More about : laptop cooling pad

a b D Laptop
July 23, 2012 1:34:42 AM

Your laptop could be overheating because the internal fan is clogged with dust. You can pick up a can of compressed air and blow it through the fan intake to blast the dust out of there. If you do remove a lot of dust that way it'll do more for you than a cooling pad.
m
l
July 23, 2012 1:40:57 AM

I will try that, but I still want a cooling pad for various reasons. Any suggestions?
m
l
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
a b D Laptop
July 23, 2012 1:43:56 AM

That one seems fine. Cooling pads are simple things, as long as it blows air there's not a whole lot of differentiation there. Pick one that's reasonably priced and sturdy (read reviews)
m
l
July 23, 2012 1:45:00 AM

Alright, I will purchase it and post a review here to the forums for future reference. Thank you for your time and your input.
m
l
a b D Laptop
July 23, 2012 2:08:27 AM

I would take your fan assembly out of your laptop before blowing it with compressed air - or at least disconnect it from the power connector. You would not want to backfeed power and blow the port, and then have to get a new motherboard.
m
l
July 23, 2012 3:08:35 AM

How do I take apart a laptop?
m
l
July 23, 2012 3:23:07 AM

Nevermind, I delicately took the back off and delicately took the dust off from the cover case and the fan with a soft tissue.

m
l
July 23, 2012 3:26:34 AM

There should be some screws under the laptop, it should be a matter of checking which ones will disconnect the chassis and then use the compressed air.

I can definitely say that a cooling pad helps. My girlfriend has an Alienware M14x and it would get really hot and noisy. But now with the pad, just a cheap one from a local store, it hardly needs to spin the graphics fan right up.

EDIT: Perfect, if it looks clean and still heats up too much, the cooling pad should help alot.
m
l
July 23, 2012 3:36:36 AM

Alright sweet. So there shouldn't be any other problems internal?
m
l
July 23, 2012 4:04:46 AM

There shouldn't be. I recommend installing GPU-Z and monitor your temperatures and fan speed while playing a game. If you can report back some numbers, we can dig a little further. If it's staying under 85 degrees C, there should be no worries.
m
l
July 23, 2012 4:48:16 AM

pezonator said:
There shouldn't be. I recommend installing GPU-Z and monitor your temperatures and fan speed while playing a game. If you can report back some numbers, we can dig a little further. If it's staying under 85 degrees C, there should be no worries.

How do I figure out my temperatures?
m
l
a b D Laptop
July 23, 2012 5:11:10 AM

The Speccy program I gave u the link to will give you temp info on the summary screen - look at the screen shots
m
l
July 23, 2012 1:17:43 PM

After about 30 minutes of gaming this morning this was the temperature results:

m
l
a b D Laptop
July 23, 2012 2:21:58 PM

It's hard to tell from the picture you posted, but is the heatsink for the video card on the left above the processor? The reason I ask is because it's going to be hard to drop those temps dramatically. I'm suggesting you figure out how to remove that heatpipe and fan to replace the TIM on both the video card and processor. The second suggestion is to cut strips of holes, if they don't exist, in the panel that you removed in order to take the picture. You can use a dremel with a cutoff wheel. You're going to need some serious airflow over those parts to drop the temps to a respectable 70C.
m
l
July 23, 2012 3:57:53 PM

I really wish I knew how to do all this just off of personal knowledge, but I don't. I really don't want to mess up my laptop so I don't know if I feel comfortable doing indepent work to it. If worst comes to worst I can always attempt a few tasks, but I would really need a step by step tutorial on doing so.

I ordered the cooler pad last night and should have it by Thursday or Friday. I'll keep you all updated if it fixes the problem or not.

So, is it my Graphics card that is overheating? Or what.
m
l
a b D Laptop
July 23, 2012 4:08:36 PM

thereconcheck said:
....So, is it my Graphics card that is overheating? Or what.

Yes, you can see from the screen grab you posted under the Graphics section - your video card is at 90Celcius, which is Very High
m
l
July 23, 2012 4:12:03 PM

So from this point will the Cooler Pad help the fuctioning of my laptop? Or will I need to take serious action on the product.
m
l
a b D Laptop
July 23, 2012 4:31:53 PM

What BIOS are you running? and what video driver version?
Click on "Start" > "All Programs" > "Accessories" > "System Tools" > "System Information"
Click on “Display” under “Components” in the left hand side.
Let me know the “Adapter Type” and “Driver Version”
m
l
July 23, 2012 4:37:00 PM

I'm currently out and cannot access my computer until this evening. I gave you all the model of the laptop in my first post, I'm sure you can google the specs and all the information you need online.

If not I will be home around 7:00 PM Eastern USA.
m
l
July 23, 2012 5:33:07 PM

Alright, I will do all that when I get home. I will hop on here and let you know once I've done so. I'll speak with later this evening.

Thank you for your help Dingo. I much appreciate it.
m
l
July 24, 2012 12:33:06 AM

Okay I'm installing the driver version.

I tried downloading the BIOS, but when it downloaded it was in a rar file. What do I do from there? I tried extracting it to my desktop but it didn't do anything.
m
l
a b D Laptop
July 24, 2012 2:37:15 AM

The BIOS file is a .zip file that extracts a .rom file. When you click the link, you want to click on the <Global> link and then "Save As", then save it to your desktop.

Do you havw WnZip or WinRar?
m
l
July 24, 2012 7:51:05 PM

Winrar. I have my Cooling pad now and so far it's working. But my temperature is still a bit high but it doesn't affect gameplay.
m
l
a b D Laptop
July 25, 2012 4:34:24 PM

Did you manage to update your BIOS? What are the temps now after 30 minutes of gameplay?
m
l
a b D Laptop
July 25, 2012 6:46:30 PM

OK, so, short of cutting more ventilation holes in the bottom panel of your laptop directly above the heatsinks and heatpipe, and replacing the TIM on the chips, I bet that's as good as it's gonna get.
m
l
July 26, 2012 2:41:53 AM

I have no idea where those are located and how to do that. Could you recommend a step by step guide on how to do so? I can provide photo's so you can see it for yourself in the case that I can't find something.

I'm sorry if this causes problems but I've never learned computer parts.

EDIT: I've downloaded the BIOS and extracted it to my desktop. What do I do now?
m
l
July 26, 2012 8:17:48 PM

What if I just take off the back panel? Would that make problems?
m
l

Best solution

a b D Laptop
July 26, 2012 10:59:39 PM

thereconcheck said:
What if I just take off the back panel? Would that make problems?

If the laptop will forever live on the cooling pad, then it'll be ok, actually the best. BUT if something happens to bump against a resitor on a board and breaks it off, your SOL.
July 27, 2012 2:38:35 AM

My grandpa always says that xD Yeah it always stays on my desk 24/7 on the cooling pad.
m
l
August 8, 2012 3:42:54 PM

Best answer selected by TheReconCheck.
m
l
!