7. What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? (Photo/Video editing, Etc.)
Occasional photo editing.
8. How much storage (Hard Drive capacity) do you need?
My current laptop is 500GB, and I've never hit the limit
9. If you are considering specific sites to buy from, please post their links.
Amazon mostly (To avoid sales tax)
10. How long do you want to keep your laptop?
Ideally, three years (graduation date). But I'll be happy if I get two out of it.
11. What kind of Optical drive do you need? DVD ROM/Writer,Bluray ROM/Writer,Etc ?
Standard cheap option, I almost never use disks.
12. Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons.
Lenovo and Asus preferable. I've heard great things. I'd like to avoid HP if possible. I currently have an HP dv6 from almost two years ago, but it's given me nothing but problems. Cheaply built (panels falling apart), incredibly noisy fan, overheating. I admit, it was a very cheap option but I'm open to using HP if someone can massage my fears about it.
13. What country do you live in?
14. Please tell us any additional information if needed.
Currently very interested in the Lenovo Y580, especially at that price point. I'd prefer something that doesn't sound like a windtunnel when I'm just online (like my current one does)
EDIT: Is a 1366 x 768 screen that bad? I've got one right now, and while it's small, it seems perfectly usable. Is HP's quality any good? The dv7 QUAD looks to be a good deal.
Welcome to Tom's Hardware Forums,
Anybody with your moniker I just have to help...
I realize you wanted to go through Amazon but this looks to me to be a good deal as is (upgrades available) http://www.xoticpc.com/sager-np6370-clevo-w370et-preord...
Edit: I realized afterward that is a 17" - pretty big and heavy so I'm adding this one which is a little smaller - it is just a tad over your budget but for the graphics capability, you'd almost have to double the price to do any better - it's a rockin' machine. http://www.xoticpc.com/sager-np9130-clevo-p151em1-p-434...
Someone else will have other options I'm sure
www.Sagernotebook.com has the same as what is linked above and may give you some better prices. Basically spec what ever you want in both and see what has a better price!
The asus G55 or G75 is probably a good choice to look at. Its 15" for the 55 and 17" for the 75
If you are willing to compromise on performance you can get better battery life or smaller sizes/weight if that is a concern - but at the moment we are recommending gaming machines with weak battery life and not the best portability.