Need advice on sharing a network connection.

Tags:
  • Network Connection
  • Connection
  • Internet Connection
  • Windows XP
May 4, 2005 10:29:44 PM

I have a PC that is connected to a network which gives access to the
internet.
I wish to share this connection from the PC.

I can't connect anything else to the network apart from the PC itself.

Is it possible to share out the internet connection having the PC that
is connected acting as a hub or something?

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks.

OM

More about : advice sharing network connection

Anonymous
May 4, 2005 10:37:02 PM

"OM" <om.newsgroup@gmail.com> wrote in message
>I have a PC that is connected to a network which gives access to the
> internet.
> I wish to share this connection from the PC.
>
> I can't connect anything else to the network apart from the PC itself.
>
> Is it possible to share out the internet connection having the PC that
> is connected acting as a hub or something?
>
> Any ideas would be appreciated.

Description of Internet Connection Sharing in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=310563

How to configure Internet Connection Sharing in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=306126

Troubleshooting Internet Connection Sharing in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=308006

Resources for Troubleshooting Internet Connection Sharing in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=308021/

--
William
Anonymous

have you used network connection wizard in my network connections icon?

"WTC" wrote:

> "OM" <om.newsgroup@gmail.com> wrote in message
> >I have a PC that is connected to a network which gives access to the
> > internet.
> > I wish to share this connection from the PC.
> >
> > I can't connect anything else to the network apart from the PC itself.
> >
> > Is it possible to share out the internet connection having the PC that
> > is connected acting as a hub or something?
> >
> > Any ideas would be appreciated.
> >

> Description of Internet Connection Sharing in Windows XP
> http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=310563
>
> How to configure Internet Connection Sharing in Windows XP
> http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=306126
>
> Troubleshooting Internet Connection Sharing in Windows XP
> http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=308006
>
> Resources for Troubleshooting Internet Connection Sharing in Windows XP
> http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=308021/
>
> --
> William

Anonymous
May 5, 2005 12:03:11 PM

"OM" <om.newsgroup@gmail.com> wrote in message
>I have a PC that is connected to a network which gives access to the
> internet.
> I wish to share this connection from the PC.
>
> I can't connect anything else to the network apart from the PC itself.
>
> Is it possible to share out the internet connection having the PC that
> is connected acting as a hub or something?
>
> Any ideas would be appreciated.
>
> Thanks.
>

> OM

A router would be a much better idea. It sounds like you are trying to get
around a corporate policy. If it is just your ISP implementing a MAC
registering setup then most routers can clone the MAC from your pc. If I'm
totally off base I apologise. You could use Internet Connection Sharing. It
works fine but the pc connected to the internet has to be left on all the
time for the other devices that need internet connectivity to work.

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/networking/lea...

Kerry
!