Need advice on sharing a network connection.

I have a PC that is connected to a network which gives access to the
internet.
I wish to share this connection from the PC.

I can't connect anything else to the network apart from the PC itself.

Is it possible to share out the internet connection having the PC that
is connected acting as a hub or something?

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks.

OM
3 answers Last reply
More about need advice sharing network connection

    "OM" <om.newsgroup@gmail.com> wrote in message
    >I have a PC that is connected to a network which gives access to the
    > internet.
    > I wish to share this connection from the PC.
    >
    > I can't connect anything else to the network apart from the PC itself.
    >
    > Is it possible to share out the internet connection having the PC that
    > is connected acting as a hub or something?
    >
    > Any ideas would be appreciated.

    Description of Internet Connection Sharing in Windows XP
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=310563

    How to configure Internet Connection Sharing in Windows XP
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=306126

    Troubleshooting Internet Connection Sharing in Windows XP
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=308006

    Resources for Troubleshooting Internet Connection Sharing in Windows XP
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=308021/

    --
    William

    have you used network connection wizard in my network connections icon?

    "WTC" wrote:

    > "OM" <om.newsgroup@gmail.com> wrote in message
    > >I have a PC that is connected to a network which gives access to the
    > > internet.
    > > I wish to share this connection from the PC.
    > >
    > > I can't connect anything else to the network apart from the PC itself.
    > >
    > > Is it possible to share out the internet connection having the PC that
    > > is connected acting as a hub or something?
    > >
    > > Any ideas would be appreciated.
    > >

    > Description of Internet Connection Sharing in Windows XP
    > http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=310563
    >
    > How to configure Internet Connection Sharing in Windows XP
    > http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=306126
    >
    > Troubleshooting Internet Connection Sharing in Windows XP
    > http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=308006
    >
    > Resources for Troubleshooting Internet Connection Sharing in Windows XP
    > http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=308021/
    >
    > --
    > William

    "OM" <om.newsgroup@gmail.com> wrote in message
    >I have a PC that is connected to a network which gives access to the
    > internet.
    > I wish to share this connection from the PC.
    >
    > I can't connect anything else to the network apart from the PC itself.
    >
    > Is it possible to share out the internet connection having the PC that
    > is connected acting as a hub or something?
    >
    > Any ideas would be appreciated.
    >
    > Thanks.
    >

    > OM

    A router would be a much better idea. It sounds like you are trying to get
    around a corporate policy. If it is just your ISP implementing a MAC
    registering setup then most routers can clone the MAC from your pc. If I'm
    totally off base I apologise. You could use Internet Connection Sharing. It
    works fine but the pc connected to the internet has to be left on all the
    time for the other devices that need internet connectivity to work.

    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/networking/learnmore/ics.mspx

    Kerry

Network Connection Connection Internet Connection Windows XP