Problem Adding a PCI-E Card to Dell Dimension 4700

I tried adding a MSI NVIDIA 6600 GT card to my new Dell Dimension 4700.
The card worked for about a day... and for about 10 minutes of
Half-life 2. Then the computer just turned off, and would not boot
again with the card inserted. I've tried different power supplies, but
nothing seems to resolve the issue. Any ideas???
3 answers Last reply
More about problem adding card dell dimension 4700

    I have-- I don't believe this to be a software issues. The computer
    will not post, or boot at all with the card inserted in the PCI-E slot.

    isuheineken,
    Have you gone to NVIDIA or the card's manufacture site and see if there any
    video driver upgrades?
    http://www.nvidia.com/object/winxp_2k_66.93

    Have you installed DirectX 9.0c Redistributable from Microsoft?
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?displaylang=en&FamilyID=9226a611-62fe-4f61-aba1-914185249413
    --

    Rich/rerat

    (RRR News) <message rule>

    "isuheineken" <kealhofer@gmail.com> wrote in message
    I tried adding a MSI NVIDIA 6600 GT card to my new Dell Dimension 4700.
    The card worked for about a day... and for about 10 minutes of
    Half-life 2. Then the computer just turned off, and would not boot
    again with the card inserted. I've tried different power supplies, but
    nothing seems to resolve the issue. Any ideas???

    isuheineken,
    You did not say if you had disabled the onboard video adapter, or if you got
    the card from Dell, installed on your PC at the time of purchase. If you got
    the card from Dell it could be defective. If so, call customer support and
    they should send you another one. If you bought card from a computer store.
    You may need to return card for replacement, at a minimum, see if they can
    test it, to see if it is defective.

    Have you tried the following:
    1. Reboot PC in SafeMode> Control Panel> Hardware tab> Device Manager>
    Display Adapter> Click on onboard adapter name> Properties> Device
    Usage-Disable Device.
    2. Shutdown PC> Reinstall card, making sure that you place the card in the
    right slot. Make sure you have the video driver CD handy.
    3. Restart PC> Use CD to reinstall drivers.

    I have-- I don't believe this to be a software issues. The computer
    will not post, or boot at all with the card inserted in the PCI-E slot.

Dell Dimension PCI Express Computers