SMS rates increase - what can we do ?

20 c per message sent, no bundles available for international sms ... what
the *uck :(
26 answers Last reply
More about rates increase

    mizuno wrote:

    > 20 c per message sent, no bundles available for international sms ... what
    > the *uck :(

    Make sure that Fido gets less money from you than before. They'll learn that
    an increase in SMS fees results in lower revenus.

    mizuno wrote:
    > 20 c per message sent, no bundles available for international sms ... what
    > the *uck :(

    I don't see an increase. In fact, in total, I see a reduction on
    postpaid. (since you talk of bundles, you must be talking of postpaid).

    It used to be 10c to send and 10c to receive, or 20c

    Now it is 15c to send, free to receive, 20c to send internationally,
    free to receive.

    To me that is no change to international and a 5c decrease for Canadian
    messages.

    Bundles are still there, under Packages/options- and don't recall how
    they have changed (I am grandfathered on a very old plan)

    International long distance is now $4 per month and 60% off.
    (here is the link but don't think it will work:)
    http://www.fido.ca/portal/en/bizpackages/optional.shtml

    Andrew

    On Mon, 07 Jun 2004 13:54:02 GMT, AndrewH <Andrew-Lists@shaw.ca>
    wrote:

    >mizuno wrote:
    >> 20 c per message sent, no bundles available for international sms ... what
    >> the *uck :(
    >I don't see an increase. In fact, in total, I see a reduction on
    >postpaid. (since you talk of bundles, you must be talking of postpaid).
    >
    >It used to be 10c to send and 10c to receive, or 20c
    >
    >Now it is 15c to send, free to receive, 20c to send internationally,
    >free to receive.
    >
    >To me that is no change to international and a 5c decrease for Canadian
    >messages.

    There's a change: I have FidoPro and before May 20, 2004 all SMS, send
    or receive (North America or international), are included. It does not
    matter what the destination. After May 20, 2004 included SMS are only
    for North America. International SMS is excluded, that is it cost
    $0.20. No matter what "SMS bundle" you subscribe to international SMS
    is excluded.

    AndrewH wrote:
    > International long distance is now $4 per month and 60% off.
    > (here is the link but don't think it will work:)
    > http://www.fido.ca/portal/en/bizpackages/optional.shtml

    That is like someone selling chocolate bars for $10 a piece saying he is
    reducing it to $8.00. It is still a ripoff when you consider that chocolate
    bars can be had for $1.00

    The thing is that with Fido trying to become landline competition, it will
    need to start to offer really competitive overseas long distance, not just
    some reduction on the old fashioned exhorbitant rates.

    When you can find long distance to the UK that costs less than the "basic"
    long distance between west island of montreal and longueuil ($0.35 per
    minute), then Fido must really stop setting its rate against the "basic"
    published rates which no longer have any value/meaning.

    This is especially true when you roam and every incoming call costs you an
    overseas long distance. If Fido's overseas rates for popular countries such as
    UK, France etc were very competitive ($0.10 to $0.25) rate, perhaps people
    might roam a lot more. As it stands, Fido'.s roaming rates are such that only
    millionaires who don't care about how much it costs will use it.

    Of course you would need to be rich to be "roaming" around Europe in the
    first place.

    Testy

    "JF Mezei" <jfmezei.spamnot@teksavvy.com> wrote in message
    > AndrewH wrote:
    > > International long distance is now $4 per month and 60% off.
    > > (here is the link but don't think it will work:)
    > > http://www.fido.ca/portal/en/bizpackages/optional.shtml
    >
    > That is like someone selling chocolate bars for $10 a piece saying he is
    > reducing it to $8.00. It is still a ripoff when you consider that
    chocolate
    > bars can be had for $1.00
    >
    > The thing is that with Fido trying to become landline competition, it will
    > need to start to offer really competitive overseas long distance, not just
    > some reduction on the old fashioned exhorbitant rates.
    >
    > When you can find long distance to the UK that costs less than the "basic"
    > long distance between west island of montreal and longueuil ($0.35 per
    > minute), then Fido must really stop setting its rate against the "basic"
    > published rates which no longer have any value/meaning.
    >
    > This is especially true when you roam and every incoming call costs you an
    > overseas long distance. If Fido's overseas rates for popular countries
    such as
    > UK, France etc were very competitive ($0.10 to $0.25) rate, perhaps people
    > might roam a lot more. As it stands, Fido'.s roaming rates are such that
    only
    > millionaires who don't care about how much it costs will use it.

    ---

    Ototin wrote:
    > There's a change: I have FidoPro and before May 20, 2004 all SMS, send
    > or receive (North America or international), are included.

    Did they re-instate free inbound SMS from TAP and WEB sites ? When I dropped
    FidoPro, those were no longer included in the package.

    On Mon, 07 Jun 2004 21:35:13 GMT, JF Mezei
    <jfmezei.spamnot@teksavvy.com> wrote:

    >Ototin wrote:
    >> There's a change: I have FidoPro and before May 20, 2004 all SMS, send
    >> or receive (North America or international), are included.

    >Did they re-instate free inbound SMS from TAP and WEB sites ? When I dropped
    >FidoPro, those were no longer included in the package.

    No. It cost $0.15

    I believe that Fido's roaming rates are comparable to the other Canadian
    cellular providers' rates. My thoughts on roaming is, if you are travelling
    and using your phone often in another country, get an unlocked GSM phone and
    buy a prepaid SIM for that country. If you plan on just travelling for a few
    days and not using your phone often, use the roaming rates of your cellular
    provider.

    This is one of the reasons why I purchased an unlocked phone...

    "JF Mezei" <jfmezei.spamnot@teksavvy.com> wrote in message
    > AndrewH wrote:
    > > International long distance is now $4 per month and 60% off.
    > > (here is the link but don't think it will work:)
    > > http://www.fido.ca/portal/en/bizpackages/optional.shtml
    >
    > That is like someone selling chocolate bars for $10 a piece saying he is
    > reducing it to $8.00. It is still a ripoff when you consider that
    chocolate
    > bars can be had for $1.00
    >
    > The thing is that with Fido trying to become landline competition, it will
    > need to start to offer really competitive overseas long distance, not just
    > some reduction on the old fashioned exhorbitant rates.
    >
    > When you can find long distance to the UK that costs less than the "basic"
    > long distance between west island of montreal and longueuil ($0.35 per
    > minute), then Fido must really stop setting its rate against the "basic"
    > published rates which no longer have any value/meaning.
    >
    > This is especially true when you roam and every incoming call costs you an
    > overseas long distance. If Fido's overseas rates for popular countries
    such as
    > UK, France etc were very competitive ($0.10 to $0.25) rate, perhaps people
    > might roam a lot more. As it stands, Fido'.s roaming rates are such that
    only
    > millionaires who don't care about how much it costs will use it.

    On Mon, 07 Jun 2004 18:11:56 GMT, JF Mezei
    <jfmezei.spamnot@teksavvy.com> wrote:

    >This is especially true when you roam and every incoming call costs you an
    >overseas long distance. If Fido's overseas rates for popular countries such as
    >UK, France etc were very competitive ($0.10 to $0.25) rate, perhaps people
    >might roam a lot more. As it stands, Fido'.s roaming rates are such that only
    >millionaires who don't care about how much it costs will use it.

    Before you start singling out Fido you might do well to compare what
    other carriers charge for roaming. There are none that I know of that
    are what you might call "bargains." T-Mobile in the US with their
    "world class" rates charges at least 99 cents/minute to make or
    receive calls in western Europe. More expensive elsewhere. cingular
    from some of their territory charges almost $5 a minute! Don't even
    get started on what Telus and Bell charge with their kludgey setup for
    international roaming.

    remove NONO from .NONOcom to reply

    In article <RWTwc.20324$gf1.49369@news1.mts.net>,
    "mizuno" <nojunk-mizuno@eudoramail.com> wrote:

    > 20 c per message sent, no bundles available for international sms ... what
    > the *uck :(

    Call and complain. Write letters and complain.

    --
    Steven Fisher; sdfisher@spamcop.net
    "Morituri Nolumus Mori."

    "Steven Fisher" <sdfisher@spamcop.net> wrote in message
    > In article <RWTwc.20324$gf1.49369@news1.mts.net>,
    > "mizuno" <nojunk-mizuno@eudoramail.com> wrote:
    >
    > > 20 c per message sent, no bundles available for international sms ...
    what
    > > the *uck :(
    >
    > Call and complain. Write letters and complain.

    Hehe, ya, 5 letter, out of hundreds of thousands of customers, yup,
    that'll have a great effect...

    JF Mezei <jfmezei.spamnot@teksavvy.com> wrote in message news:<7e5955b480a585d60a4769c8b0ba1b45@news.teranews.com>...
    > Ototin wrote:
    > > There's a change: I have FidoPro and before May 20, 2004 all SMS, send
    > > or receive (North America or international), are included.
    >
    > Did they re-instate free inbound SMS from TAP and WEB sites ? When I dropped
    > FidoPro, those were no longer included in the package.

    anything not coming from a cellular phone is 15 cents per message...

    In article <at0hp1-9rh.ln1@host.domain>,
    "repatch" <repatch42@yahoo.com> wrote:

    > Hehe, ya, 5 letter, out of hundreds of thousands of customers, yup,
    > that'll have a great effect...

    It would be more than that. At least here in the west, there are a lot
    of immigrants who use SMS to keep in touch with those back home (in the
    Philippines, Japan, China, etc.). Fido *was* the chosen provider for
    these people, and they probably generated a majority of the text
    messages on the network here.

    --

    In article <fLBxc.24603$gf1.54901@news1.mts.net>,
    "mizuno" <nojunk-mizuno@eudoramail.com> wrote:

    > There is still an alternative - Rogers, but I am not sure if thy will decide
    > to exclude intl sms from their bundles or not. I guarantee lot's of new
    > subscribers for rogers if they do not make any changes.

    Rogers isn't any cheaper, are they? $0.20 for an intl SMS, no matter who
    you use. But Rogers might just get some converts from the way Fido
    handled this.

    --
    Steven Fisher; sdfisher@spamcop.net
    "Morituri Nolumus Mori."

    Actually Rogers still treats national and international sms the same.
    check

    http://www.shoprogers.com/store/wireless/services/voice/en_productivity.asp?shopperID=418MND4UFKAP9H63FKSAG55VLUTK8QSA

    In article <sdfisher-EFBD1B.02344808062004@news.va.shawcable.net>,
    Steven Fisher <sdfisher@spamcop.net> wrote:
    > "mizuno" <nojunk-mizuno@eudoramail.com> wrote:
    >> 20 c per message sent, no bundles available for international sms ... what
    >> the *uck :(
    >Call and complain. Write letters and complain.

    Or maybe many people who recently moved to Canada are accustomed to this
    type of fee schedule.

    Take Hong Kong carriers for example, almost all their SMS bundled or
    package option do not include SMS to other Hong Kong networks or
    international users.

    Here's one example (SmarTone):
    http://www.smartone.com.hk/jsp/2/2_2/2_2_3/2_2_3_2.jsp

    (C$1=HK$5.736)
    You can pay a HK$50 (C$8.7) package for 200 SMS; but you need to pay extra
    for sending to non-SmarTone users.
    For international SMS, with this package, you only get ONE SMS with
    reduced fee at HK$2 (C$0.35). All others are charged at HK$3 (C$0.52) per
    SMS!

    Let's look at Vodafone in UK:
    http://www.vodafone.com/external/0,3050,LANGUAGE_ID%253D0%2526CONTENT_ID%253D0,00.html

    They charge 24p (C$0.60) for each international SMS!

    Also check earlier post about SMS charges in US. This really put things
    into perspective. So in fact, Fido's charging schedule is common for GSM
    carriers around the world, AND Fido's pricing is not too bad afterall.

    As usual, we found it hard to swallow now because we were spoiled :-)

    --
    --Lawrence Kwan-lawrence@vex.net- http://www.vex.net/~lawrence --
    --Tungsten T3 Enhanced DIA Keyboard----Nokia Ringtone Convertor--

    In article <10cfocl84hi6c62@corp.supernews.com>,
    lawrence@shell.vex.net (Lawrence Kwan) wrote:

    > Or maybe many people who recently moved to Canada are accustomed to this
    > type of fee schedule.

    Well, I was referring to people who've been on Fido for some time. My
    sister-in-law, for instance, has been on Fido for at least two and a
    half years now, I think.

    --

    In article <6fSxc.29267$gf1.56523@news1.mts.net>,
    "mizuno" <nojunk-mizuno@eudoramail.com> wrote:

    > Actually Rogers still treats national and international sms the same.
    > check

    I just did, starting at the link you provided. It's $0.15 for domestic,
    $0.20 for Philippines. No mention of whether or not they're bundled, but
    it doesn't seem like it from their web site. Who knows?

    --
    Steven Fisher; sdfisher@spamcop.net
    "Morituri Nolumus Mori."

    I've been away from Canada for the last couple of months, but began
    noticing the changes when I left. The new 'Service Agreement' that I
    got in the mail, the new 2 year contracts, now jacking up the SMS
    fees... Who do they think they are, Rogers? They should come back
    down to earth and realise that their competitive advantage has been
    and always will be, until they see fit to invest in expanding their
    network beyond a few major metro areas, price. If they start thinking
    they can emulate rogers price schemes, there will be a deluge to
    Rogers, a network that somewhat fits the national service provider
    label.

    Sorry for the rant, but those trips with no coverage from Toronto to
    Winnipeg still chafe at me... I figured I was getting what I paid for
    with Fido. Now with the jacked up prices (if I were in Canada right
    now), I'd feel ripped off and promptly switch to Rogers. Thankfully,
    my phone is already unlocked thanks to some friendy folk in Markham ;)

    sbdot wrote:
    > noticing the changes when I left. The new 'Service Agreement' that I
    > got in the mail, the new 2 year contracts, now jacking up the SMS
    > fees... Who do they think they are, Rogers?

    Their decisions in the last couple of years have almost all been designed to
    reduce the gap between them and the big telcos.

    The fact remains however that Fido is still better than the big bad guys.

    On Tue, 08 Jun 2004 20:47:40 GMT, Steven Fisher says...

    > It would be more than that. At least here in the west, there are a lot
    > of immigrants who use SMS to keep in touch with those back home (in the
    > Philippines, Japan, China, etc.). Fido *was* the chosen provider for
    > these people, and they probably generated a majority of the text
    > messages on the network here.

    Also, before the new rates were introduced fido was NOT charging
    the incoming sms messages coming from international networks, as
    you already noticed in the past, I believe. I am not sure whether
    that was a glitch or something else. In any case it now basically
    costs twice as much. Unfortunately it would seem that the wireless
    carriers in Canada do not like to compete...
    No, instead of competing they basically kill the only advantages
    they have over each other so that in the end it does not really
    matter if you are using fido or Rogers, because in the end you
    will probably be paying the same rates.

    For example look what Rogers did to their evenings and weekends
    prepaid plan. Yes there is still a slight difference, it is a
    *BIT* cheaper than fido's plan, you can keep the plan while
    paying $20 every 30 days instead of $12.50 (as it used to be).
    But that is simply not good enough... I am not going to buy
    Rogers' sim card (as I was going to), because I want to keep
    my fido phone number as well and at this point I might as well
    pay 30$ every 30 days and use fido with the same plan.

    Now fido has done the same to its sms service advantages.
    :(

    I will keep using fido because I have had this phone number
    for a number of years, and because so far the reception/quality
    has been very good and I have never had a reason to complain.

    But other than that... it would not really matter, would it?

    In article <MPG.1b3322d5a623f38c98968c@news2.istop.com>,
    alien <no@spam.com> wrote:

    > In any case it now basically costs twice as much.

    Twice as much? No, more like ten times as much. You used to be able to
    buy an SMS bundle.

    --

    On Fri, 11 Jun 2004 19:56:14 GMT, Steven Fisher <sdfisher@spamcop.net>
    wrote:

    >In article <MPG.1b3322d5a623f38c98968c@news2.istop.com>,
    > alien <no@spam.com> wrote:
    >
    >> In any case it now basically costs twice as much.
    >
    >Twice as much? No, more like ten times as much. You used to be able to
    >buy an SMS bundle.

    The current text or e-mail message options are:

    50 messages $3
    100 messages $5
    1,000 messages $10

    International SMS is not included in the above bundle. $0.15 per
    additional message.

    there are a lot
    >> of immigrants who use SMS to keep in touch with those back home (in the
    >> Philippines, Japan, China, etc.). Fido *was* the chosen provider for
    >> these people, a

    Hey do like I do get a program called CHIKKA from http://www.chikka.com/
    its free fo me to send and only one peso for them to reply,
    I have it installed at home on my laptop at work and on a few friends
    houses, it works through firewalls, I know its not the same as a cell phone
    but my cost are down and so are theirs, I use it to text the Philippines
    love it I think its a great little program, it works with SMART or GLOBE
    and they claim you can also text USA mobiles.

    my $0.02 cents (Canadian)

    On Fri, 11 Jun 2004 23:50:17 GMT, Just Me <someone@somewhere.net>
    wrote:

    > there are a lot
    >>> of immigrants who use SMS to keep in touch with those back home (in the
    >>> Philippines, Japan, China, etc.). Fido *was* the chosen provider for
    >>> these people, a
    >
    >Hey do like I do get a program called CHIKKA from http://www.chikka.com/
    >its free fo me to send and only one peso for them to reply,

    It's 2.50 pesos

    Uhm... care to explain how they are better?

    As mentioned, I've driven across Canada plenty and can vouch for the
    fact that microcell coverage is practically non-existant outside of
    major metro areas. Not sure if they've bothered upgrading in the last
    while, but there was no coverage on large stretches in between major
    cities as well, such as zero coverage in Kingston. and large swathes
    of 401 without coverage. I also mentioned to zero coverage once you
    head north of Toronto until you get to Winnipeg (how many hundreds of
    kilometres is that... about a thousand?).

    Now if they start gouging and jacking up their prices to match Rogers,
    why on earth would anyone stay with them? I am of course assuming
    that people get mobile phones because they are, well.. mobile. People
    who get a cell phone and just make calls from home should stick to
    Fido, because they make about as much sense as Fido's recent strategy.

    JF Mezei <jfmezei.spamnot@teksavvy.com> wrote in message news:<f3091ac2865d5d414f265fd846c404d9@news.teranews.com>...
    > sbdot wrote:
    > > noticing the changes when I left. The new 'Service Agreement' that I
    > > got in the mail, the new 2 year contracts, now jacking up the SMS
    > > fees... Who do they think they are, Rogers?
    >
    > Their decisions in the last couple of years have almost all been designed to
    > reduce the gap between them and the big telcos.
    >
    > The fact remains however that Fido is still better than the big bad guys.

Fido Internet Service Providers