Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

SMS rates increase - what can we do ?

Last response: in Network Providers
Share
June 7, 2004 5:28:25 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.fido (More info?)

20 c per message sent, no bundles available for international sms ... what
the *uck :( 

More about : sms rates increase

Anonymous
June 7, 2004 10:50:30 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.fido (More info?)

mizuno wrote:
>
> 20 c per message sent, no bundles available for international sms ... what
> the *uck :( 

Make sure that Fido gets less money from you than before. They'll learn that
an increase in SMS fees results in lower revenus.
Anonymous
June 7, 2004 5:54:02 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.fido (More info?)

mizuno wrote:
> 20 c per message sent, no bundles available for international sms ... what
> the *uck :( 
>
>
>
>
I don't see an increase. In fact, in total, I see a reduction on
postpaid. (since you talk of bundles, you must be talking of postpaid).

It used to be 10c to send and 10c to receive, or 20c

Now it is 15c to send, free to receive, 20c to send internationally,
free to receive.

To me that is no change to international and a 5c decrease for Canadian
messages.

Bundles are still there, under Packages/options- and don't recall how
they have changed (I am grandfathered on a very old plan)

International long distance is now $4 per month and 60% off.
(here is the link but don't think it will work:) 
http://www.fido.ca/portal/en/bizpackages/optional.shtml


Andrew
Related resources
Anonymous
June 7, 2004 9:17:34 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.fido (More info?)

On Mon, 07 Jun 2004 13:54:02 GMT, AndrewH <Andrew-Lists@shaw.ca>
wrote:

>mizuno wrote:
>> 20 c per message sent, no bundles available for international sms ... what
>> the *uck :( 
>I don't see an increase. In fact, in total, I see a reduction on
>postpaid. (since you talk of bundles, you must be talking of postpaid).
>
>It used to be 10c to send and 10c to receive, or 20c
>
>Now it is 15c to send, free to receive, 20c to send internationally,
>free to receive.
>
>To me that is no change to international and a 5c decrease for Canadian
>messages.

There's a change: I have FidoPro and before May 20, 2004 all SMS, send
or receive (North America or international), are included. It does not
matter what the destination. After May 20, 2004 included SMS are only
for North America. International SMS is excluded, that is it cost
$0.20. No matter what "SMS bundle" you subscribe to international SMS
is excluded.
Anonymous
June 7, 2004 10:11:56 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.fido (More info?)

AndrewH wrote:
> International long distance is now $4 per month and 60% off.
> (here is the link but don't think it will work:) 
> http://www.fido.ca/portal/en/bizpackages/optional.shtml

That is like someone selling chocolate bars for $10 a piece saying he is
reducing it to $8.00. It is still a ripoff when you consider that chocolate
bars can be had for $1.00

The thing is that with Fido trying to become landline competition, it will
need to start to offer really competitive overseas long distance, not just
some reduction on the old fashioned exhorbitant rates.

When you can find long distance to the UK that costs less than the "basic"
long distance between west island of montreal and longueuil ($0.35 per
minute), then Fido must really stop setting its rate against the "basic"
published rates which no longer have any value/meaning.

This is especially true when you roam and every incoming call costs you an
overseas long distance. If Fido's overseas rates for popular countries such as
UK, France etc were very competitive ($0.10 to $0.25) rate, perhaps people
might roam a lot more. As it stands, Fido'.s roaming rates are such that only
millionaires who don't care about how much it costs will use it.
June 7, 2004 10:11:57 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.fido (More info?)

Of course you would need to be rich to be "roaming" around Europe in the
first place.

Testy

"JF Mezei" <jfmezei.spamnot@teksavvy.com> wrote in message
news:bac5fc699e053e9893d7f566a5d0b2c1@news.teranews.com...
> AndrewH wrote:
> > International long distance is now $4 per month and 60% off.
> > (here is the link but don't think it will work:) 
> > http://www.fido.ca/portal/en/bizpackages/optional.shtml
>
> That is like someone selling chocolate bars for $10 a piece saying he is
> reducing it to $8.00. It is still a ripoff when you consider that
chocolate
> bars can be had for $1.00
>
> The thing is that with Fido trying to become landline competition, it will
> need to start to offer really competitive overseas long distance, not just
> some reduction on the old fashioned exhorbitant rates.
>
> When you can find long distance to the UK that costs less than the "basic"
> long distance between west island of montreal and longueuil ($0.35 per
> minute), then Fido must really stop setting its rate against the "basic"
> published rates which no longer have any value/meaning.
>
> This is especially true when you roam and every incoming call costs you an
> overseas long distance. If Fido's overseas rates for popular countries
such as
> UK, France etc were very competitive ($0.10 to $0.25) rate, perhaps people
> might roam a lot more. As it stands, Fido'.s roaming rates are such that
only
> millionaires who don't care about how much it costs will use it.


---
Outgoing mail is certified Virus Free.
Checked by AVG anti-virus system (http://www.grisoft.com).
Version: 6.0.700 / Virus Database: 457 - Release Date: 6/6/2004
Anonymous
June 8, 2004 1:35:13 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.fido (More info?)

Ototin wrote:
> There's a change: I have FidoPro and before May 20, 2004 all SMS, send
> or receive (North America or international), are included.

Did they re-instate free inbound SMS from TAP and WEB sites ? When I dropped
FidoPro, those were no longer included in the package.
Anonymous
June 8, 2004 1:35:14 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.fido (More info?)

On Mon, 07 Jun 2004 21:35:13 GMT, JF Mezei
<jfmezei.spamnot@teksavvy.com> wrote:

>Ototin wrote:
>> There's a change: I have FidoPro and before May 20, 2004 all SMS, send
>> or receive (North America or international), are included.

>Did they re-instate free inbound SMS from TAP and WEB sites ? When I dropped
>FidoPro, those were no longer included in the package.

No. It cost $0.15
Anonymous
June 8, 2004 2:31:54 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.fido (More info?)

I believe that Fido's roaming rates are comparable to the other Canadian
cellular providers' rates. My thoughts on roaming is, if you are travelling
and using your phone often in another country, get an unlocked GSM phone and
buy a prepaid SIM for that country. If you plan on just travelling for a few
days and not using your phone often, use the roaming rates of your cellular
provider.

This is one of the reasons why I purchased an unlocked phone...


"JF Mezei" <jfmezei.spamnot@teksavvy.com> wrote in message
news:bac5fc699e053e9893d7f566a5d0b2c1@news.teranews.com...
> AndrewH wrote:
> > International long distance is now $4 per month and 60% off.
> > (here is the link but don't think it will work:) 
> > http://www.fido.ca/portal/en/bizpackages/optional.shtml
>
> That is like someone selling chocolate bars for $10 a piece saying he is
> reducing it to $8.00. It is still a ripoff when you consider that
chocolate
> bars can be had for $1.00
>
> The thing is that with Fido trying to become landline competition, it will
> need to start to offer really competitive overseas long distance, not just
> some reduction on the old fashioned exhorbitant rates.
>
> When you can find long distance to the UK that costs less than the "basic"
> long distance between west island of montreal and longueuil ($0.35 per
> minute), then Fido must really stop setting its rate against the "basic"
> published rates which no longer have any value/meaning.
>
> This is especially true when you roam and every incoming call costs you an
> overseas long distance. If Fido's overseas rates for popular countries
such as
> UK, France etc were very competitive ($0.10 to $0.25) rate, perhaps people
> might roam a lot more. As it stands, Fido'.s roaming rates are such that
only
> millionaires who don't care about how much it costs will use it.
June 8, 2004 11:19:47 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.fido (More info?)

On Mon, 07 Jun 2004 18:11:56 GMT, JF Mezei
<jfmezei.spamnot@teksavvy.com> wrote:

>This is especially true when you roam and every incoming call costs you an
>overseas long distance. If Fido's overseas rates for popular countries such as
>UK, France etc were very competitive ($0.10 to $0.25) rate, perhaps people
>might roam a lot more. As it stands, Fido'.s roaming rates are such that only
>millionaires who don't care about how much it costs will use it.

Before you start singling out Fido you might do well to compare what
other carriers charge for roaming. There are none that I know of that
are what you might call "bargains." T-Mobile in the US with their
"world class" rates charges at least 99 cents/minute to make or
receive calls in western Europe. More expensive elsewhere. cingular
from some of their territory charges almost $5 a minute! Don't even
get started on what Telus and Bell charge with their kludgey setup for
international roaming.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
remove NONO from .NONOcom to reply
Anonymous
June 8, 2004 1:34:49 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.fido (More info?)

In article <RWTwc.20324$gf1.49369@news1.mts.net>,
"mizuno" <nojunk-mizuno@eudoramail.com> wrote:

> 20 c per message sent, no bundles available for international sms ... what
> the *uck :( 

Call and complain. Write letters and complain.

--
Steven Fisher; sdfisher@spamcop.net
"Morituri Nolumus Mori."
Anonymous
June 8, 2004 3:02:30 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.fido (More info?)

"Steven Fisher" <sdfisher@spamcop.net> wrote in message
news:sdfisher-EFBD1B.02344808062004@news.va.shawcable.net...
> In article <RWTwc.20324$gf1.49369@news1.mts.net>,
> "mizuno" <nojunk-mizuno@eudoramail.com> wrote:
>
> > 20 c per message sent, no bundles available for international sms ...
what
> > the *uck :( 
>
> Call and complain. Write letters and complain.

Hehe, ya, 5 letter, out of hundreds of thousands of customers, yup,
that'll have a great effect...
June 8, 2004 7:29:45 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.fido (More info?)

JF Mezei <jfmezei.spamnot@teksavvy.com> wrote in message news:<7e5955b480a585d60a4769c8b0ba1b45@news.teranews.com>...
> Ototin wrote:
> > There's a change: I have FidoPro and before May 20, 2004 all SMS, send
> > or receive (North America or international), are included.
>
> Did they re-instate free inbound SMS from TAP and WEB sites ? When I dropped
> FidoPro, those were no longer included in the package.

anything not coming from a cellular phone is 15 cents per message...
Anonymous
June 9, 2004 12:47:40 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.fido (More info?)

In article <at0hp1-9rh.ln1@host.domain>,
"repatch" <repatch42@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Hehe, ya, 5 letter, out of hundreds of thousands of customers, yup,
> that'll have a great effect...

It would be more than that. At least here in the west, there are a lot
of immigrants who use SMS to keep in touch with those back home (in the
Philippines, Japan, China, etc.). Fido *was* the chosen provider for
these people, and they probably generated a majority of the text
messages on the network here.

--
Steven Fisher; sdfisher@spamcop.net
"Morituri Nolumus Mori."
Anonymous
June 9, 2004 11:39:34 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.fido (More info?)

In article <fLBxc.24603$gf1.54901@news1.mts.net>,
"mizuno" <nojunk-mizuno@eudoramail.com> wrote:

> There is still an alternative - Rogers, but I am not sure if thy will decide
> to exclude intl sms from their bundles or not. I guarantee lot's of new
> subscribers for rogers if they do not make any changes.

Rogers isn't any cheaper, are they? $0.20 for an intl SMS, no matter who
you use. But Rogers might just get some converts from the way Fido
handled this.

--
Steven Fisher; sdfisher@spamcop.net
"Morituri Nolumus Mori."
June 10, 2004 4:22:28 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.fido (More info?)

Actually Rogers still treats national and international sms the same.
check

http://www.shoprogers.com/store/wireless/services/voice...


"Steven Fisher" <sdfisher@spamcop.net> wrote in message
news:sdfisher-5852F2.12393409062004@news.va.shawcable.net...
> In article <fLBxc.24603$gf1.54901@news1.mts.net>,
> "mizuno" <nojunk-mizuno@eudoramail.com> wrote:
>
> > There is still an alternative - Rogers, but I am not sure if thy will
decide
> > to exclude intl sms from their bundles or not. I guarantee lot's of new
> > subscribers for rogers if they do not make any changes.
>
> Rogers isn't any cheaper, are they? $0.20 for an intl SMS, no matter who
> you use. But Rogers might just get some converts from the way Fido
> handled this.
>
> --
> Steven Fisher; sdfisher@spamcop.net
> "Morituri Nolumus Mori."
Anonymous
June 10, 2004 8:20:37 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.fido (More info?)

In article <sdfisher-EFBD1B.02344808062004@news.va.shawcable.net>,
Steven Fisher <sdfisher@spamcop.net> wrote:
> "mizuno" <nojunk-mizuno@eudoramail.com> wrote:
>> 20 c per message sent, no bundles available for international sms ... what
>> the *uck :( 
>Call and complain. Write letters and complain.

Or maybe many people who recently moved to Canada are accustomed to this
type of fee schedule.

Take Hong Kong carriers for example, almost all their SMS bundled or
package option do not include SMS to other Hong Kong networks or
international users.

Here's one example (SmarTone):
http://www.smartone.com.hk/jsp/2/2_2/2_2_3/2_2_3_2.jsp

(C$1=HK$5.736)
You can pay a HK$50 (C$8.7) package for 200 SMS; but you need to pay extra
for sending to non-SmarTone users.
For international SMS, with this package, you only get ONE SMS with
reduced fee at HK$2 (C$0.35). All others are charged at HK$3 (C$0.52) per
SMS!

Let's look at Vodafone in UK:
http://www.vodafone.com/external/0,3050,LANGUAGE_ID%253...

They charge 24p (C$0.60) for each international SMS!

Also check earlier post about SMS charges in US. This really put things
into perspective. So in fact, Fido's charging schedule is common for GSM
carriers around the world, AND Fido's pricing is not too bad afterall.

As usual, we found it hard to swallow now because we were spoiled :-)


--
--Lawrence Kwan-lawrence@vex.net- http://www.vex.net/~lawrence --
--Tungsten T3 Enhanced DIA Keyboard----Nokia Ringtone Convertor--
Anonymous
June 10, 2004 8:59:22 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.fido (More info?)

In article <10cfocl84hi6c62@corp.supernews.com>,
lawrence@shell.vex.net (Lawrence Kwan) wrote:

> Or maybe many people who recently moved to Canada are accustomed to this
> type of fee schedule.

Well, I was referring to people who've been on Fido for some time. My
sister-in-law, for instance, has been on Fido for at least two and a
half years now, I think.

--
Steven Fisher; sdfisher@spamcop.net
"Morituri Nolumus Mori."
Anonymous
June 10, 2004 3:24:22 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.fido (More info?)

In article <6fSxc.29267$gf1.56523@news1.mts.net>,
"mizuno" <nojunk-mizuno@eudoramail.com> wrote:

> Actually Rogers still treats national and international sms the same.
> check

I just did, starting at the link you provided. It's $0.15 for domestic,
$0.20 for Philippines. No mention of whether or not they're bundled, but
it doesn't seem like it from their web site. Who knows?

--
Steven Fisher; sdfisher@spamcop.net
"Morituri Nolumus Mori."
Anonymous
June 10, 2004 7:08:25 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.fido (More info?)

I've been away from Canada for the last couple of months, but began
noticing the changes when I left. The new 'Service Agreement' that I
got in the mail, the new 2 year contracts, now jacking up the SMS
fees... Who do they think they are, Rogers? They should come back
down to earth and realise that their competitive advantage has been
and always will be, until they see fit to invest in expanding their
network beyond a few major metro areas, price. If they start thinking
they can emulate rogers price schemes, there will be a deluge to
Rogers, a network that somewhat fits the national service provider
label.

Sorry for the rant, but those trips with no coverage from Toronto to
Winnipeg still chafe at me... I figured I was getting what I paid for
with Fido. Now with the jacked up prices (if I were in Canada right
now), I'd feel ripped off and promptly switch to Rogers. Thankfully,
my phone is already unlocked thanks to some friendy folk in Markham ;) 


Steven Fisher <sdfisher@spamcop.net> wrote in message news:<sdfisher-CEC370.21592209062004@news.va.shawcable.net>...
> In article <10cfocl84hi6c62@corp.supernews.com>,
> lawrence@shell.vex.net (Lawrence Kwan) wrote:
>
> > Or maybe many people who recently moved to Canada are accustomed to this
> > type of fee schedule.
>
> Well, I was referring to people who've been on Fido for some time. My
> sister-in-law, for instance, has been on Fido for at least two and a
> half years now, I think.
Anonymous
June 11, 2004 5:53:11 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.fido (More info?)

sbdot wrote:
> noticing the changes when I left. The new 'Service Agreement' that I
> got in the mail, the new 2 year contracts, now jacking up the SMS
> fees... Who do they think they are, Rogers?

Their decisions in the last couple of years have almost all been designed to
reduce the gap between them and the big telcos.

The fact remains however that Fido is still better than the big bad guys.
Anonymous
June 11, 2004 7:01:26 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.fido (More info?)

On Tue, 08 Jun 2004 20:47:40 GMT, Steven Fisher says...

> It would be more than that. At least here in the west, there are a lot
> of immigrants who use SMS to keep in touch with those back home (in the
> Philippines, Japan, China, etc.). Fido *was* the chosen provider for
> these people, and they probably generated a majority of the text
> messages on the network here.

Also, before the new rates were introduced fido was NOT charging
the incoming sms messages coming from international networks, as
you already noticed in the past, I believe. I am not sure whether
that was a glitch or something else. In any case it now basically
costs twice as much. Unfortunately it would seem that the wireless
carriers in Canada do not like to compete...
No, instead of competing they basically kill the only advantages
they have over each other so that in the end it does not really
matter if you are using fido or Rogers, because in the end you
will probably be paying the same rates.

For example look what Rogers did to their evenings and weekends
prepaid plan. Yes there is still a slight difference, it is a
*BIT* cheaper than fido's plan, you can keep the plan while
paying $20 every 30 days instead of $12.50 (as it used to be).
But that is simply not good enough... I am not going to buy
Rogers' sim card (as I was going to), because I want to keep
my fido phone number as well and at this point I might as well
pay 30$ every 30 days and use fido with the same plan.

Now fido has done the same to its sms service advantages.
:( 

I will keep using fido because I have had this phone number
for a number of years, and because so far the reception/quality
has been very good and I have never had a reason to complain.

But other than that... it would not really matter, would it?
Anonymous
June 11, 2004 11:56:14 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.fido (More info?)

In article <MPG.1b3322d5a623f38c98968c@news2.istop.com>,
alien <no@spam.com> wrote:

> In any case it now basically costs twice as much.

Twice as much? No, more like ten times as much. You used to be able to
buy an SMS bundle.

--
Steven Fisher; sdfisher@spamcop.net
"Morituri Nolumus Mori."
Anonymous
June 12, 2004 12:32:14 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.fido (More info?)

On Fri, 11 Jun 2004 19:56:14 GMT, Steven Fisher <sdfisher@spamcop.net>
wrote:

>In article <MPG.1b3322d5a623f38c98968c@news2.istop.com>,
> alien <no@spam.com> wrote:
>
>> In any case it now basically costs twice as much.
>
>Twice as much? No, more like ten times as much. You used to be able to
>buy an SMS bundle.

The current text or e-mail message options are:

50 messages $3
100 messages $5
1,000 messages $10

International SMS is not included in the above bundle. $0.15 per
additional message.
Anonymous
June 12, 2004 3:50:17 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.fido (More info?)

there are a lot
>> of immigrants who use SMS to keep in touch with those back home (in the
>> Philippines, Japan, China, etc.). Fido *was* the chosen provider for
>> these people, a

Hey do like I do get a program called CHIKKA from http://www.chikka.com/
its free fo me to send and only one peso for them to reply,
I have it installed at home on my laptop at work and on a few friends
houses, it works through firewalls, I know its not the same as a cell phone
but my cost are down and so are theirs, I use it to text the Philippines
love it I think its a great little program, it works with SMART or GLOBE
and they claim you can also text USA mobiles.


my $0.02 cents (Canadian)
Anonymous
June 12, 2004 3:50:18 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.fido (More info?)

On Fri, 11 Jun 2004 23:50:17 GMT, Just Me <someone@somewhere.net>
wrote:

> there are a lot
>>> of immigrants who use SMS to keep in touch with those back home (in the
>>> Philippines, Japan, China, etc.). Fido *was* the chosen provider for
>>> these people, a
>
>Hey do like I do get a program called CHIKKA from http://www.chikka.com/
>its free fo me to send and only one peso for them to reply,

It's 2.50 pesos
Anonymous
June 15, 2004 7:41:29 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.fido (More info?)

Uhm... care to explain how they are better?

As mentioned, I've driven across Canada plenty and can vouch for the
fact that microcell coverage is practically non-existant outside of
major metro areas. Not sure if they've bothered upgrading in the last
while, but there was no coverage on large stretches in between major
cities as well, such as zero coverage in Kingston. and large swathes
of 401 without coverage. I also mentioned to zero coverage once you
head north of Toronto until you get to Winnipeg (how many hundreds of
kilometres is that... about a thousand?).

Now if they start gouging and jacking up their prices to match Rogers,
why on earth would anyone stay with them? I am of course assuming
that people get mobile phones because they are, well.. mobile. People
who get a cell phone and just make calls from home should stick to
Fido, because they make about as much sense as Fido's recent strategy.

JF Mezei <jfmezei.spamnot@teksavvy.com> wrote in message news:<f3091ac2865d5d414f265fd846c404d9@news.teranews.com>...
> sbdot wrote:
> > noticing the changes when I left. The new 'Service Agreement' that I
> > got in the mail, the new 2 year contracts, now jacking up the SMS
> > fees... Who do they think they are, Rogers?
>
> Their decisions in the last couple of years have almost all been designed to
> reduce the gap between them and the big telcos.
>
> The fact remains however that Fido is still better than the big bad guys.
!