Error in Winsock Module

May 4, 2005 11:51:06 PM

About every two minutes or so, three windows, not all at the same time, pop
up saying, "Error in Winsock Module, Connection Structure unknown." Each
window contains a different "exe" file- "csrss.exe", "smss.exe", and
"services.exe". It also says that these files cannot connect to the internet.
How would I go about fixing this problem? Thanks.

More about : error winsock module

Anonymous
May 5, 2005 10:34:04 AM

You don't need this services to connect to the internet. Check your firewall.
Try to turning it off and see if you still get this pop-up's
--
---------------------------------------
http://www.fast-rewind.com

"tarceneaux" wrote:

> About every two minutes or so, three windows, not all at the same time, pop
> up saying, "Error in Winsock Module, Connection Structure unknown." Each
> window contains a different "exe" file- "csrss.exe", "smss.exe", and
> "services.exe". It also says that these files cannot connect to the internet.
> How would I go about fixing this problem? Thanks.
Anonymous
May 5, 2005 6:16:20 PM

might search
winsock XP fix
small program that deletes and rebuilds to defaults the registry keys

"tarceneaux" <tarceneaux@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> About every two minutes or so, three windows, not all at the same time,
> pop
> up saying, "Error in Winsock Module, Connection Structure unknown." Each
> window contains a different "exe" file- "csrss.exe", "smss.exe", and
> "services.exe". It also says that these files cannot connect to the
> internet.
> How would I go about fixing this problem? Thanks.
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
Anonymous
May 8, 2005 2:18:18 PM

I too am having this error. The winsock xp fix did not help.

bumtracks wrote:
> might search
> winsock XP fix
> small program that deletes and rebuilds to defaults the registry keys
>
> "tarceneaux" <tarceneaux@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > About every two minutes or so, three windows, not all at the same
time,
> > pop
> > up saying, "Error in Winsock Module, Connection Structure unknown."
Each
> > window contains a different "exe" file- "csrss.exe", "smss.exe",
and
> > "services.exe". It also says that these files cannot connect to the

> > internet.
> > How would I go about fixing this problem? Thanks.
Anonymous
May 9, 2005 11:27:56 AM

Hey guys
This error is real mind twister but believe it or not it has nothing
to do with your winsock files, firewall or anything associated. It is
actually a VIRUS. Yes a virus - Sober.o(SYMANTEC) to be exact. Good
news is that McAfee's Stinger - http://vil.nai.com/vil/stinger/ - is
able to remove the affected files and Symantec has a removal tool -
http://tinyurl.com/yst4j :thumb: :D  YAY!!

Hope this helps :cool:

--
Bitta
Anonymous

Sorry Bîtta: I have exactly the same problem, but none of the removal tools
(Symantec and McAfee) found a virus. both said "no virus, troyans or spyware,
status ok

any other good ideas ???

"Bitta" wrote:

> Hey guys
> This error is real mind twister but believe it or not it has nothing
> to do with your winsock files, firewall or anything associated. It is
> actually a VIRUS. Yes a virus - Sober.o(SYMANTEC) to be exact. Good
> news is that McAfee's Stinger - http://vil.nai.com/vil/stinger/ - is
> able to remove the affected files and Symantec has a removal tool -
> http://tinyurl.com/yst4j :thumb: :D  YAY!!
>
> Hope this helps :cool:
>

> --
> Bitta

Anonymous
May 17, 2005 7:29:29 PM

Go to msconfig and remove everything form startup. Don't reboot, then
run stinger - Go into pref and select "Scan all Files". Once the scan
has finished reboot in Safe Mode and run the Removal Tool from Symantec
and Stinger once more. Hopefully this will pick up and remove the Virus.

--
BittaPosted from http://www.pcreview.co.uk/ newsgroup access
Anonymous

stinger did find infections during the first run, the symantec removal tool
did not find anything and the popups are still here!

"Bitta" wrote:

> Go to msconfig and remove everything form startup. Don't reboot, then
> run stinger - Go into pref and select "Scan all Files". Once the scan
> has finished reboot in Safe Mode and run the Removal Tool from Symantec
> and Stinger once more. Hopefully this will pick up and remove the Virus.
>

> --
> BittaPosted from http://www.pcreview.co.uk/ newsgroup access

Anonymous
May 18, 2005 2:26:58 PM

Uuf, Re-installation of Norton Internet Security solved the problem with the
popups, NAV then also found and eliminated three infected files; do you still
recommend that I apply spyware?

!