Error in Winsock Module

About every two minutes or so, three windows, not all at the same time, pop
up saying, "Error in Winsock Module, Connection Structure unknown." Each
window contains a different "exe" file- "csrss.exe", "smss.exe", and
"services.exe". It also says that these files cannot connect to the internet.
How would I go about fixing this problem? Thanks.
9 answers Last reply
More about error winsock module

    You don't need this services to connect to the internet. Check your firewall.
    Try to turning it off and see if you still get this pop-up's
    --
    ---------------------------------------
    http://www.fast-rewind.com

    "tarceneaux" wrote:

    > About every two minutes or so, three windows, not all at the same time, pop
    > up saying, "Error in Winsock Module, Connection Structure unknown." Each
    > window contains a different "exe" file- "csrss.exe", "smss.exe", and
    > "services.exe". It also says that these files cannot connect to the internet.
    > How would I go about fixing this problem? Thanks.

    might search
    winsock XP fix
    small program that deletes and rebuilds to defaults the registry keys

    "tarceneaux" <tarceneaux@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > About every two minutes or so, three windows, not all at the same time,
    > pop
    > up saying, "Error in Winsock Module, Connection Structure unknown." Each
    > window contains a different "exe" file- "csrss.exe", "smss.exe", and
    > "services.exe". It also says that these files cannot connect to the
    > internet.
    > How would I go about fixing this problem? Thanks.

    I too am having this error. The winsock xp fix did not help.

    bumtracks wrote:
    > might search
    > winsock XP fix
    > small program that deletes and rebuilds to defaults the registry keys
    >
    > "tarceneaux" <tarceneaux@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > About every two minutes or so, three windows, not all at the same
    time,
    > > pop
    > > up saying, "Error in Winsock Module, Connection Structure unknown."
    Each
    > > window contains a different "exe" file- "csrss.exe", "smss.exe",
    and
    > > "services.exe". It also says that these files cannot connect to the

    > > internet.
    > > How would I go about fixing this problem? Thanks.

    Hey guys
    This error is real mind twister but believe it or not it has nothing
    to do with your winsock files, firewall or anything associated. It is
    actually a VIRUS. Yes a virus - Sober.o(SYMANTEC) to be exact. Good
    news is that McAfee's Stinger - http://vil.nai.com/vil/stinger/ - is
    able to remove the affected files and Symantec has a removal tool -
    http://tinyurl.com/yst4j :thumb: :D YAY!!

    Hope this helps :cool:

    --
    Bitta

    Sorry Bîtta: I have exactly the same problem, but none of the removal tools
    (Symantec and McAfee) found a virus. both said "no virus, troyans or spyware,
    status ok

    any other good ideas ???

    "Bitta" wrote:

    > Hey guys
    > This error is real mind twister but believe it or not it has nothing
    > to do with your winsock files, firewall or anything associated. It is
    > actually a VIRUS. Yes a virus - Sober.o(SYMANTEC) to be exact. Good
    > news is that McAfee's Stinger - http://vil.nai.com/vil/stinger/ - is
    > able to remove the affected files and Symantec has a removal tool -
    > http://tinyurl.com/yst4j :thumb: :D YAY!!
    >
    > Hope this helps :cool:
    >

    > --
    > Bitta

    Go to msconfig and remove everything form startup. Don't reboot, then
    run stinger - Go into pref and select "Scan all Files". Once the scan
    has finished reboot in Safe Mode and run the Removal Tool from Symantec
    and Stinger once more. Hopefully this will pick up and remove the Virus.

    --
    BittaPosted from http://www.pcreview.co.uk/ newsgroup access

    stinger did find infections during the first run, the symantec removal tool
    did not find anything and the popups are still here!

    "Bitta" wrote:

    > Go to msconfig and remove everything form startup. Don't reboot, then
    > run stinger - Go into pref and select "Scan all Files". Once the scan
    > has finished reboot in Safe Mode and run the Removal Tool from Symantec
    > and Stinger once more. Hopefully this will pick up and remove the Virus.
    >

    > --
    > BittaPosted from http://www.pcreview.co.uk/ newsgroup access

    Sounds to me you could also have some Spyware try Spy Sweeper :
    http://www.webroot.com/downloads

    --
    BittaPosted from http://www.pcreview.co.uk/ newsgroup access

    Uuf, Re-installation of Norton Internet Security solved the problem with the
    popups, NAV then also found and eliminated three infected files; do you still
    recommend that I apply spyware?

    "Bitta" wrote:

    > Sounds to me you could also have some Spyware try Spy Sweeper :
    > http://www.webroot.com/downloads
    >

    > --
    > BittaPosted from http://www.pcreview.co.uk/ newsgroup access

Connection Winsock Microsoft Windows XP